Melbourne Football

Rd 1 vs Brisbane (away) Tues 28/12 7pm

neio

Our squad is in for our game against Brisbane 

Melbourne City FC A-League squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Aiden O’NEILL, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 11.Craig NOONE, 14.Naoki TSUBAKI, 15.Andrew NABBOUT, 16.Taras GOMULKA, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 18.Connor METCALFE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Marco TILIO, 33.Matthew SUTTON (gk), 36.Kerrin STOKES, 42. Ahmad TALEB

**2-4 to be omitted**

Unavailable: 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON (hamstring)

13 minutes ago, neio said:

Starting 11 picks itself really, same as the Bentleigh game. Bench id say will be Sutton, Stokes, Galloway, Berenguer, Gomulka, Tsubaki and that leaves 1 spot for Tillio or Colacovski

Berenguer has played 30minutes of football so far, missed 7 weeks of preseason - he shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad if you asked me. If he does than the whole motivation about players earning their way into the match squad goes out of the window. 

34 minutes ago, haz said:

Jamieson to walk into the team again and take 2/3s of the season to be dropped for Atkinson..... Rinse and repeat

Well he’s a great bloke on Twitter remember, club man etc (sarcastic)......Atkinson is injured so it makes sense now. 

The mistake we’ve made is making him captain again, hard to drop - same as last year.

Edited by Mr MO

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Berenguer has played 30minutes of football so far, missed 7 weeks of preseason - he shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad if you asked me. If he does than the whole motivation about players earning their way into the match squad goes out of the window. 

Gosh this is such crap! Spend all pre-season whinging about him not playing and when he finally gets named, you whinge about that too!

Seriously, the season hasn't even started yet, what do you expect?

1 hour ago, rass said:

Gosh this is such crap! Spend all pre-season whinging about him not playing and when he finally gets named, you whinge about that too!

Seriously, the season hasn't even started yet, what do you expect?

I'm expecting the fittest players to be in the squad, not even on the bench - he is nowhere at full match fitness, can't be after only playing half a match or so. I would say this about every other player too.

I would like to see him dropped to work on his match fitness and join in some weeks time.

What you call whinging, is my strong opinion to offload passenger visa players like Florin, Players who are only fit 65% of the time - they will not bring this club or team forward.

Edited by Mr MO

I think we can all agree that Florin's best performances for us came in the back half of last season, maybe we wait at least the first match of the new season before we go back to whipping him? If he's not fit he shouldn't be playing but surely our medical staff wouldn't allow that to happen.

On the match (and the season at large i suppose), let's hope we get off to a bright start. Looking forward to see what Tsubaki can produce, can O'Neill have more of an impact than Brillante did as a central midfielder, can JMac pick up where he left off and will Metcalfe seize his spot as a starting player? 

Edited by Dezy94
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Personally I’d start Flo on the bench.
In the past it’s taken him a while to gain momentum after an injury and based on that I think he’ll struggle to have an impact if he starts. 

Unfortunately Berenguer is the type of player who is always going to be controversial. The current situation is that he is included in the extended squad for the first match of the season after just 30 minutes of the pre-season and that against an NPL youth team having its first run. If he was a dominating player who regularly produced the goods for us, or even an impact player coming off the bench I'd say yes, include him in the squad, but he isn't either of those, and IMO it's a bold call to even include him in the squad.

But it's an extended squad and pretty well everyone on the books is named. I don't think it means much at this stage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

Thoughts ?

35707621-4CC8-4B17-82F7-4585A3257384.thumb.jpeg.d534a87035bb2ba11fda927337f779f8.jpeg

Metcalfe definitely ahead of  Berenguer for sure, and possibly Garuccio over Galloway. IMO I would put Tilio ahead of Noone because i am not a fan of Noone, however that will not happen.

Are we still waiting on a Euro CB? i recall something about all squads need to be established by 02 Jan, otherwise clubs need to wait until the Feb Transfer window - If this is correct then player should be announced any day?

From what I remember Brisbane could trouble us with their pace, especially late in the game. 28 degrees and 71% humidity forecast for Redcliffe. Against Bentleigh we were in trouble in the final minutes. I think we'll need to score at least two to win it, and a draw will do me first up. 

Edited by jw1739

Can’t believe it’s finally here. Missed it dearly. 

I reckon the XI picks itself. Metcalfe will start next to Luna and O’Neill in midfield. Garrucio and Jamieson as FBs. 

On paper our squad is stronger but it was a similar story last season and they were tricky opponents every time we faced them. I’ll go with a 2-1 win to us. 

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Can’t believe it’s finally here. Missed it dearly. 

I reckon the XI picks itself. Metcalfe will start next to Luna and O’Neill in midfield. Garrucio and Jamieson as FBs. 

On paper our squad is stronger but it was a similar story last season and they were tricky opponents every time we faced them. I’ll go with a 2-1 win to us. 

Yes, agreed. The heat, and being away at a venue we haven't always done well at, will be significant, and will make it tough for us. A good test to start the season. 

Bring it on! Our squad is very strong for the league.  It's not very changed and actually stronger for Nabbout. This is very potent forward line. We didn't lose the key man like Sydney. It may be more to the strategist where we have a debutant.  Again, it's only A-league and he should be fine against other also not very  experienced coaches. 

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Frenchy on the bench what a great investment he's been ffs. He must be enjoying his working holiday.

Where else would you play him? He has played 30minutes of football in the last 3 months. He won’t last for 15 minutes with our high pressing game in the QLD heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Frenchy on the bench what a great investment he's been ffs. He must be enjoying his working holiday.

IMO that shows Kisnorbo's lack of experience as a coach. Berenguer is in no way an impact player. He either starts or should not be in the match-day squad.

• Like 1