Melbourne Football

RD 7 - City vs Sydney

Victards

um Nate. not sure what game u were watching but that dim wit ref called a foul on duff for jumping over a reckless keeper who pulled him to ground.

Duff fell over him as he stood up. No penalty. The foul on Duff was for picking up the ball.yeh so the keeper clearly impeded duffs run. God even all the sydney fans were admitting it and laughing on TwitterIf you want to get technical then Duff was also impeding the keeper. Would have been one of the softest penalties ever if given. The keeper just stood up, Duff should have run around him. haha well u don't know the rules of soccer then. if someone blocks ur run, ur not not given a foul for not running around him. if they clearly block ur run by bringing u down like janjetovic did with his arm then it's a foul. the ref would of paid it everywhere else on the pitch like they always always do

um Nate. not sure what game u were watching but that dim wit ref called a foul on duff for jumping over a reckless keeper who pulled him to ground.

Duff fell over him as he stood up. No penalty. The foul on Duff was for picking up the ball.yeh so the keeper clearly impeded duffs run. God even all the sydney fans were admitting it and laughing on TwitterIf you want to get technical then Duff was also impeding the keeper. Would have been one of the softest penalties ever if given. The keeper just stood up, Duff should have run around him. haha well u don't know the rules of soccer then. if someone blocks ur run, ur not not given a foul for not running around him. if they clearly block ur run by bringing u down like janjetovic did with his arm then it's a foul. the ref would of paid it everywhere else on the pitch like they always always do He didn't even use his arm what are you on about?

Duff fell over him as he stood up. No penalty. The foul on Duff was for picking up the ball.yeh so the keeper clearly impeded duffs run. God even all the sydney fans were admitting it and laughing on TwitterIf you want to get technical then Duff was also impeding the keeper. Would have been one of the softest penalties ever if given. The keeper just stood up, Duff should have run around him.haha well u don't know the rules of soccer then. if someone blocks ur run, ur not not given a foul for not running around him. if they clearly block ur run by bringing u down like janjetovic did with his arm then it's a foul. the ref would of paid it everywhere else on the pitch like they always always doHe didn't even use his arm what are you on about? not sure how to post photos on here but there is clear evidence. are u saying duff dived or was brought down by a reckless keeper who got in his way and clearly did not get the ball at all after the initial save. I mean u should be an a-league ref, ur just as comical

I didn't realise there was a rule whereby if ur on the ground u can get up whilst forcing another player, who is trying to play the ball, to the ground and be given a foul in ur favour. in the keeper putting his arm out, obstructing duff and not getting the ball is like a defender putting his leg out and not getting the ball and obstructing the ball player

Edited by melbournelad55

besides redders, Ramsay and our woeful finishing AGAIN (it's like a broken fucking record) we played well. Ramsay will be having nightmares of ibini for the rest of his life

Give Andrew a break mate if it wasn't for a lot of his 1 v 1 saves the score line would of been a lot worse unfortunate about the mistake but apart from that his game was solid had been the last couple of weeks. Its a certain CB with the pace of a 95 year old that was at fault for the goals last night. 

Edited by fastfly100
  • Like 1

I didn't realise there was a rule whereby if ur on the ground u can get up whilst forcing another player, who is trying to play the ball, to the ground and be given a foul in ur favour. in the keeper putting his arm out, obstructing duff and not getting the ball is like a defender putting his leg out and not getting the ball and obstructing the ball player

Problem is, Janjetovic was also playing the ball and had eyes only for the ball the entire time. He's a goalkeeper for fuck's sake! What's he supposed to do, just leave the ball there without making an attempt to go for it? If Duff was in possession then it might have been a different story but the ball was in dispute and Janjetovic did what he needed to without any need for maliciousness.  

As GreenSeater said and as I already mentioned earlier, Duff could easily have ran around him but instead decided to take the soft option so it's his own fault for not getting rewarded the penalty. 

• Like 1

Please use YOUR grammar

Duff fell over him as he stood up. No penalty. The foul on Duff was for picking up the ball. yeh so the keeper clearly impeded duffs run. God even all the sydney fans were admitting it and laughing on Twitter If you want to get technical then Duff was also impeding the keeper. Would have been one of the softest penalties ever if given. The keeper just stood up, Duff should have run around him.

And Duff should have finished it first time too, which would have made the penalty discussion moot. If that whole passage of play had happened with Williams in Duff's place, I bet the focus would be less on the penalty/no penalty debate and more on the fact that Williams had failed to convert another golden one-on-one opportunity. I love Duff's attitude and intensity and he did hand Paartalu that goal on a platter, but he's not perfect. He's in this with all the rest of them.

Thanks redmayne. Your one on one saves did spare us from further embarrassment. Last goal would of been tough to defend since wielart gave the ball to janko on a platter.

This. I thought Redmayne played well, all things considered. Scapegoat.

Having said that, it's another one goal loss, when it feels like we perhaps need a Newcastle v Brisbane capitulation to really get the blowtorch turned on us by the media.

Thanks redmayne. Your one on one saves did spare us from further embarrassment. Last goal would of been tough to defend since wielart gave the ball to janko on a platter.

Having said that, it's another one goal loss, when it feels like we perhaps need a Newcastle v Brisbane capitulation to really get the blowtorch turned on us by the media.

He cost us the first goal of the game.  That changed EVERYTHING.  We were chasing the game after that.  That lead to risks and chances that Redmayne saved mainly because they couldn't  finish.

Look at Janko's header that hit the post.  It was the near post and Redmayne was beaten.  A strike either side of him and he is beaten.

It's hard to comment on a match where you want to say so much about individuals and the team as a collective. But IMO people are getting carried away a bit. Just on some recent posts above...

Redmayne certainly fluffed the cross that led to Janko's first goal, yes he was beaten at the near post on another occasion - but I'd say there were a number of occasions when Redders kept us in the match. By my reckoning Sydney could easily have been 4-6 goals in front by half-time.

As for Duff, get the stars out of your eyes folks. He botched a one-on-one and then tried to cover up with some amateur dramatics.

As SF33 says - they're all in this together. There are weaknesses right through the squad, in the coaching decisions, and in the club management. It's a team game, and we're not doing enough as a team.

• Like 2

I did like how we fucked the game up early and scored late this time instead of the other way around.

Other than that it was business as usual

For some reason I just imagined you making a '99 ways to lose a football game' photo series to follow on from 'History of Melbourne Heart' blog photo thing you were doing.

• Like 1

I did like how we fucked the game up early and scored late this time instead of the other way around.

For some reason I just imagined you making a '99 ways to lose a football game' photo series to follow on from 'History of Melbourne Heart' blog photo thing you were doing.

Edition 72 - Conceed 2 goals, score late as other team gets a red card, tease the home fans.

I am confident I could put together a very strong body of work on the subject lol. Plenty of shots to choose from

• Like 1

He cost us the first goal of the game.  That changed EVERYTHING.  We were chasing the game after that.  That lead to risks and chances that Redmayne saved mainly because they couldn't  finish.

Look at Janko's header that hit the post.  It was the near post and Redmayne was beaten.  A strike either side of him and he is beaten.

As far as I'm concerned, Redmayne was one of about three or four that was culpable for that first goal. Yes he stuffed up (of course he did), but we did everything short of rolling out the red carpet for Ibini to make his run down the left side. And I think if people consider going down 1-0 inside 10 minutes to be an almost hopeless position, that we're 'chasing the game' from that point, well that says more about the team as a collective. It hasn't done our boys much bloody good when they've gone ahead that early in a game.

Just seems like every time Redmayne concedes a goal, people think it's 100% due to him stuffing up, but the same people can not accept it when he does some good things as well. In most cases, I'd say that the reason the Sydney players failed to finish was because of the implied pressure that Redmayne put on them (a hallmark of most of the failed one-on-one opportunities we've had over the past few seasons: the opposition goalkeeper moves towards the player with the ball and makes himself as big as possible, Heart/City player with the ball then shits his trousers and either kicks it straight into the goalkeeper, or doesn't even get it on target).

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, Redmayne was one of about three or four that was culpable for that first goal. Yes he stuffed up (of course he did), but we did everything short of rolling out the red carpet for Ibini to make his run down the left side. And I think if people consider going down 1-0 inside 10 minutes to be an almost hopeless position, that we're 'chasing the game' from that point, well that says more about the team as a collective. It hasn't done our boys much bloody good when they've gone ahead that early in a game.

Just seems like every time Redmayne concedes a goal, people think it's 100% due to him stuffing up, but the same people can not accept it when he does some good things as well. In most cases, I'd say that the reason the Sydney players failed to finish was because of the implied pressure that Redmayne put on them (a hallmark of most of the failed one-on-one opportunities we've had over the past few seasons: the opposition goalkeeper moves towards the player with the ball and makes himself as big as possible, Heart/City player with the ball then shits his trousers and either kicks it straight into the goalkeeper, or doesn't even get it on target).

The problem is that most times a keeper makes a mistake it will result in a conceded goal if we are playing a competent team. Redmayne may make 10 good saves a game but if he makes 2 mistakes and concedes 2 goals then his good play counts for nothing. If we concede a penalty we may as well not bother to even formalise it with the shot on goal as its a certain goal every time.

• Like 1

A keeper coming out on a one-on-one is goal keeping 101.  My son's been doing that on Pro Evo since the PS1 days.

Good finishers will fake shot and round the goal keeper.  A-League strikers will make the keeper a hero by shooting straight at him.

That first goal cross was a regulation take for any half decent keeper, regardless of what happened before.

The first goal in a game, especially at home changes the whole dynamic of the match. Its very easy for the away side to sit back, and strike on the counter,as the opposition pushed forward for an equaliser.

A keeper coming out on a one-on-one is goal keeping 101. My son's been doing that on Pro Evo since the PS1 days.

Good finishers will fake shot and round the goal keeper. A-League strikers will make the keeper a hero by shooting straight at him.

That first goal cross was a regulation take for any half decent keeper, regardless of what happened before.

The first goal in a game, especially at home changes the whole dynamic of the match. Its very easy for the away side to sit back, and strike on the counter,as the opposition pushed forward for an equaliser.

Redders did fuck up tbh, but two others were more culpable. Ramsay just ran alongside Ibini with out doing anything and allowed him to put in the cross whilst Kisnorbo left Janko unmarked. IIRC Miller was also dispossessed to start the whole thing off.

• Like 1

most frustrating thing is we will probly have to put up with this shit for months and nothing will be done about it, add sydney to the list of teams with better squads than us. Everyone jokes about how they have like 5 strikers and yet they have better gk's, depth in defence, they had sasa out and had a 17 yr old have a reasonable game

I don't understand where are left back was for the first goal. Oh up there:

6rin4p.jpg

And what was Kisnorbo doing running towards the ball when there are another two defenders closer to the man with ball - where was he going? What impact would he have had being the third man between the ball and Janko who he left all alone? Why didn't he stay with his man and then had to frantically track back? And don't get me started on Redmayne and Hoffman...

2wlvpf7.jpg

• Like 1

I don't understand where are left back was for the first goal. Oh up there:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://oi60.tinypic.com/6rin4p.jpg[/

And what was Kisnorbo doing running towards the ball when there are another two defenders closer to the man with ball - where was he going? What impact would he have had being the third man between the ball and Janko who he left all alone? Why didn't he stay with his man and then had to frantically track back? And don't get me started on Redmayne and Hoffman...

2wlvpf7.jpg

Ramsey was making a run down the wing because we had possesion and going forward. Miller was pushed off the ball like a school girl which left the whole wing open for Ibini because he didn't follow Ramsey down the flank.

All in all Miller is a hack.

Edited by rayv36
  • Like 2

whilst redders made a good save. Definietly at fault for their first goal. I would prefer a keeper that makes no errors rather than 1 good save a game (which redders still doesnt average).

Probs could have done something about the second even (may be being harsh) but it was an ave finish from janko basically hit at him and redders moved out of the way

Edited by melbournelad55

A keeper coming out on a one-on-one is goal keeping 101. My son's been doing that on Pro Evo since the PS1 days.

Good finishers will fake shot and round the goal keeper. A-League strikers will make the keeper a hero by shooting straight at him.

Redders did fuck up tbh, but two others were more culpable. Ramsay just ran alongside Ibini with out doing anything and allowed him to put in the cross whilst Kisnorbo left Janko unmarked. IIRC Miller was also dispossessed to start the whole thing off.

Ramsay had overlapped when Miller coughed it up in the middle. It was Miller that was running along side Ibini allowing him to cross it in.

Absolutely agree that Kisnorbo was more culpable. He was running with Janko and then bizarrely made a decision to cut back into the middle of the box towards Redmayne before realising that he read it wrong and then had to double back - by then Janko had a few metres and it was good night.

Really disappointed in Kisnorbo all night tbh. Think he would have been under way more scrutiny if it wasn't for Weilart's brain lapse at the end there.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if our lads train together in light blue tops (similar to Sydney's shirt)? We certainly warm up in light blue tops on match day.

I'm trying to explain to myself why Weilaedt would pass to Janko. It didn't look like a miskick and was pretty well weight perfect. If the training brainstem response is to cross to a teammate in light blue then this is an obvious problem.

Don't get me wrong, it was a total fuck up and inexcusable. And every other pass for the night seems to have been directed roughly to where it should. Just don't want it to happen again.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if our lads train together in light blue tops (similar to Sydney's shirt)? We certainly warm up in light blue tops on match day.

I'm trying to explain to myself why Weilaedt would pass to Janko. It didn't look like a miskick and was pretty well weight perfect. If the training brainstem response is to cross to a teammate in light blue then this is an obvious problem.

Don't get me wrong, it was a total fuck up and inexcusable. And every other pass for the night seems to have been directed roughly to where it should. Just don't want it to happen again.

Rofl, the excuses just get better and better ffs.

• Like 1

I agree that is was a fuck up. But I sit pretty close to the barrier and make no mistake its Wielaert who is directing traffic and making the passes and communicating with the defenders. If anyone should be worried about losing their spot when chapman comes back its Kisnorbo. Everyone loves him because all they remember are those rare last ditch things he does which look dramatic but as the game as a whole? Hack

• Like 1

I agree that is was a fuck up. But I sit pretty close to the barrier and make no mistake its Wielaert who is directing traffic and making the passes and communicating with the defenders. If anyone should be worried about losing their spot when chapman comes back its Kisnorbo. Everyone loves him because all they remember are those rare last ditch things he does which look dramatic but as the game as a whole? Hack

Agreed. he was being jeered by the crowd right from the start of last night's game. Seems to be blind in his right eye and steadfastly refuses to get the right wing moving. Just another Colosimo IMO.

But what's the point in dissecting every match? We all know that the squad is weak from the the back to the front. Two below-average keepers, two ageing centrebacks, two makeshift fullbacks, strikers who miss sitters, wingers who can't cross, a visa marquee who no-one had ever heard of and who can't get on the park anyway, now an ageing Australian marquee with a known back problem, all topped off by a Head Coach who of the current A-League coaches has the worst win% bar one who has coached only a handful of games. Long-term injury problems, and apparently we're up against the salary cap with respect to further signings.

I don't know what criteria CFG have set for Melbourne City - only they know - but I can't imagine that 6 points with a quarter of the season gone is one of them. Players have contracts, a number of which mean we have to retain existing players into next season (and some beyond) and these cannot be unilaterally terminated under all normal circumstances.

The fans are already voting with their feet. But for a sizeable Sydney contingent we would not have reached 9,000 last night.

Over to you Mr. Pearce and your fellow directors on the new board.

also noticed last night kisnorbo trying to push up the defence from sitting deep but wielaert didn't move so paddy had to drop back in, either laziness or stubbornness 

standard of refs is horrible too, last nights ref kris griffiths-jones, strebre delovski, jarred gillet and ben williams are all dropkicks, bozza always talks about how there are key errors every week and that we need full time refs

Shithouse effort tonight.

Ramsay n Redmayne = not good.

Williams n Big Erik need to ramp up their cardio a bit. Drop 5 or 6 kilos too.

Aaron Mooy must be thinking WTF have I done coming to this club. Duff too.

I'm unsure of why they can't just shoot at goal when there's an opening. Frustrating.

I agree with Ramsey breakdown he is horrendous

Thought redmayne pulled out some nice saves in the first half to keep us one goal down.

I think your assessment on Williams and Paartalu is poor considering Williams usually out runs most defenders it is his shooting that lets him down. Paartalu is your traditional stocky dm you need him solid to out muscle attacking midfielders to break down plays.

Mooy is superb and I love the way he plays the ball.

I feel we over sell duff I haven't seen anything outstanding from him and he frustrates me a bit with over playing fouls. His body position in the first half when he had a chance to get onto a cross was just shocking like he wasn't even watching the play or where the trajectory of the ball was.

And it's easy to call for players to shoot from outside the box but reality is we play in the a league and will take a god dam miracle for our players to even get it on target when it comes to shots from outside the box.