Melbourne Football

MVFC v MCFC - The Derby! R3

Baka1

Hi all I'm new to the club. I understand you gather at the Imperial before games? What time will you be there this week? I'm keen to get involved  :up:

Hi all I'm new to the club. I understand you gather at the Imperial before games? What time will you be there this week? I'm keen to get involved  :up:

Anyone going to the imp this Saturday? Normally it's the Imperial but this week it's different for the derby. Got this off the Melburnians(supporters group) Facebook page:

Info on the derby this weekend.

Pre-game will be at McMahon's Hotel (commonly known as Bev n Mick's) on the corner of Spencer Street and Hawke Street. Get there early for some beers and food before we head to the game; scarves will also be for sale.

For people who could not get an active ticket, we will be filling bays 16/17 and the surrounding area on level 3 (see picture). This will ensure that we can all stick together in one location, sing together etc. You will need to get in nice and early to secure your seat in this area as GA seating is unallocated, making it a free-for-all.

See you in the terrace!

This is how I think this weekend will pan out.

The line-up is announced late, just as the gates open at 4pm. It doesn’t include Villa, but Duff is named, and Koren will start on the bench. The usual suspects round out the squad, aside from Archibald who replaces Ramsay at left back, and Mauk, who replaces Murdocca.

The game is already a sell-out, so we don’t need to worry about getting the crowds in for this one, the real concern is whether or not people will get a decent GA seat on level 3. By all accounts going GA might be the best decision anyone has ever made.

The roof is closed. David Villa is nowhere to be seen.

Kick-off is delayed by five minutes as some trouble makers from the NT let off a few flares and obscure parts of the field. The stadium fills with the acrid smell of fireworks as the sun sets over Melbourne. Clouds race in from the south and a cold wind blows outside the stadium.

The first half is a cagey affair, with both sides probing for the opener, but defences hold firm. The selection of Archibald at left back seems to be a masterstroke by JvS, as he keeps Barbarouses quiet for the opening stanza. Thompson looks dangerous getting in behind Hoffman on a few occasions, but the steel wall of Kisnorbo keeps these forays from being overly dangerous.

At the other end, Williams is making the most of Villa’s absence. He’s everywhere, popping up for crosses from Duff, and streaking past Leijer to put a few shots on goal.

And yet Villa remains absent.

Half time comes and goes, with the scores locked at nil all. Another derby stalemate is on the cards as the clock ticks over to 80 minutes gone. The sound of thunder echoes around the stadium as JvS makes the first substitution; Koren will make his debut in place of young Stephan Mauk.

Rumours of Koren’s injured calf appear to be well-founded, as the Slovenian international hobbles out to the middle of the pitch where Mauk waits. A collective groan from the City fans emanates around the stadium as Koren limps toward the young midfielder.

The roof slowly opens.

Dark clouds swirl in around in a maelstrom directly above Etihad Stadium as Koren stalks towards the hapless youngster.

One by one, the stadium lights are extinguished.

In the eye of the storm, Koren places a hand over the forehead of Mauk and closes his eyes. An inhuman groan from Koren, a shriek of pure terror from Mauk, then the crack of thunder announce that this is no ordinary derby. No, dark forces are at play tonight, and the blood of Mauk is already being consumed by a ravenous A-League marquee.

At the height of the raging storm, Koren utters the words handed down to him from ages past, and hoists the limp form of Mauk into the ozone-heavy air. A beam of pure energy surges from the eye of the storm and impales the hapless Mauk, as his skin sloughs away and his veins boil off into the atmosphere. Darkness flows across the pitch and through the stunned crowd like a roiling ocean of madness.

JvS stands up, raises his hands to the sky, and screams “SIBON!”. Reality distends and reflects back in on itself as Koren slumps to the grass, with Mauk nowhere to be seen. In his place, a towering figure emerges from the absolute blackness. Chaos. Insanity. Despair. Those in the crowd who have not gone insane from witnessing the past, present and future as one now stare in wonder as Melbourne City’s saviour calmly gathers up the ball.

Gerald Sibon has returned.

City go on to win 1-0 with a Williams tap-in in the 92nd minute.

You have too much time my friend.

2-2

have been hanging out for this all week.

today seems to be taking too long tho.

can see this being a 0-0 draw.

that said, i can also see us coming out strong, and with the way the Visitors defend, i can see Villa getting a couple early.

a 3-0 win doesnt seem that extreme.

Not sure but to me this one feels the biggest yet. Our last one to me was a turning point in regards to the balance in the crowd. This time I expect at least 15k to 20k heart/city support. I also feel that in the not to distant future 3 to 5 years this fixture could be moved to "G" most likely a final. Imagine 75k at the G watching our boys do the business. 

Not confident (but I never am coming into a derby). 

Not sure but to me this one feels the biggest yet. Our last one to me was a turning point in regards to the balance in the crowd. This time I expect at least 15k to 20k heart/city support. I also feel that in the not to distant future 3 to 5 years this fixture could be moved to "G" most likely a final. Imagine 75k at the G watching our boys do the business. 

Not confident (but I never am coming into a derby). 

That's true, it did feel like we matched them in the stands last season. And with our membership tally being much better now, surely we can improve on that. 

As difficult as this week has been with the news of Villa and Koren, this upcoming game hasn't been affected at all. Koren didn't take any part in the opening two games and Villa will still play in the derby. And should we win the derby, we'll be on 5 points and looking pretty happy with the start of the season (not to mention we'll be above the tards on the ladder). So I believe this game can set our season up if we win it. 

Barbarousas is definitely the one I'm concerned about though as he's looked very dangerous when moving forward and no doubt will embarrass the crap out of Ramsey, but everywhere else I'm confident we can match or beat them. Plus JVS is a good match day tactician and I think he'll show Muscunt up on the big stage. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum - but right behind Heart/City for the derby tomorrow. 

I was hoping to pick up a GA ticket to the match - but Ticketek is telling me that there is nothing available.  Is the match sold out or will further tickets be released and/or avialble on the day?

Any help / advice much appreciated! Thanks

Pre-game will be at McMahon's Hotel (commonly known as Bev n Mick's) on the corner of Spencer Street and Hawke Street. Get there early for some beers and food before we head to the game; scarves will also be for sale.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but anyone who has actually been to Bev and Mick's before would know they don't do food.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum - but right behind Heart/City for the derby tomorrow. 

I was hoping to pick up a GA ticket to the match - but Ticketek is telling me that there is nothing available.  Is the match sold out or will further tickets be released and/or avialble on the day?

sorry mate all sold out but if you ask around someone may have a spare ticket for ya

sorry mate all sold out but if you ask around someone may have a spare ticket for ya

Thanks for the reply.  Serves me right for leaving it so late!  

I only need one ticket - so I might just turn up to the ground early tomorrow and see if someone has a spare that they are willing to sell.  Shaping up as a great match and atmosphere - so Id love to be part of it. Cheers.

Edited by HokeyPokey

im quietly confident but not overly confident. What ever happens, we got to put it into to context. We are missing our International marquee and Australian marquee (effectively our 2 best players beside villa obviously). Anyway to those that think we are stuffed without Villa I bet we will be a better team without him. We look for him too much, he can barely speak english, doesnt want to get injured etc etc... Its just one of those things in sport where you're actually better without the star man sometimes, e.g. Buddy franklin and the hawks

'There is no reason for New Yorkers to be alarmed"

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio has confirmed that a New Yorker had tested positive for Ebola.

He urged for calm, stating that the city's residents were "not at all at risk" unless they had direct contact with the patient's bodily fluids.

'There is no reason for New Yorkers to be alarmed," he said.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

This could be our lineup for the second Derby:

Redmayne

Hoffman    Kisnorbo  Wielart Garrucio

Paartalu

Mooy                    Koren

Duff                    Cahill               Villa

Edited by MARKMILES
  • Like 1

'There is no reason for New Yorkers to be alarmed"

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio has confirmed that a New Yorker had tested positive for Ebola.

He urged for calm, stating that the city's residents were "not at all at risk" unless they had direct contact with the patient's bodily fluids.

'There is no reason for New Yorkers to be alarmed," he said.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

This could be our lineup for the second Derby:

Redmayne

Hoffman    Kisnorbo  Wielart Garrucio

Paartalu

Mooy                    Koren

Duff                    Cahill               Duff

I like it. And I guess JVS has plenty of time to figure out a way to have Duff playing LW and RW. 

• Like 1

If there is any karma in the world and any football justice from the football Gods... Victory and Muscat will get absolutely smashed on Darby day...

for the horrific tackle Muscat put on A. Zarah as a Heart Player that pretty much ended his career...

I'm hoping for an Etihad Massacre tomorrow night.... 

This is how I think this weekend will pan out.

The line-up is announced late, just as the gates open at 4pm. It doesn’t include Villa, but Duff is named, and Koren will start on the bench. The usual suspects round out the squad, aside from Archibald who replaces Ramsay at left back, and Mauk, who replaces Murdocca.

The game is already a sell-out, so we don’t need to worry about getting the crowds in for this one, the real concern is whether or not people will get a decent GA seat on level 3. By all accounts going GA might be the best decision anyone has ever made.

The roof is closed. David Villa is nowhere to be seen.

Kick-off is delayed by five minutes as some trouble makers from the NT let off a few flares and obscure parts of the field. The stadium fills with the acrid smell of fireworks as the sun sets over Melbourne. Clouds race in from the south and a cold wind blows outside the stadium.

The first half is a cagey affair, with both sides probing for the opener, but defences hold firm. The selection of Archibald at left back seems to be a masterstroke by JvS, as he keeps Barbarouses quiet for the opening stanza. Thompson looks dangerous getting in behind Hoffman on a few occasions, but the steel wall of Kisnorbo keeps these forays from being overly dangerous.

At the other end, Williams is making the most of Villa’s absence. He’s everywhere, popping up for crosses from Duff, and streaking past Leijer to put a few shots on goal.

And yet Villa remains absent.

Half time comes and goes, with the scores locked at nil all. Another derby stalemate is on the cards as the clock ticks over to 80 minutes gone. The sound of thunder echoes around the stadium as JvS makes the first substitution; Koren will make his debut in place of young Stephan Mauk.

Rumours of Koren’s injured calf appear to be well-founded, as the Slovenian international hobbles out to the middle of the pitch where Mauk waits. A collective groan from the City fans emanates around the stadium as Koren limps toward the young midfielder.

The roof slowly opens.

Dark clouds swirl in around in a maelstrom directly above Etihad Stadium as Koren stalks towards the hapless youngster.

One by one, the stadium lights are extinguished.

In the eye of the storm, Koren places a hand over the forehead of Mauk and closes his eyes. An inhuman groan from Koren, a shriek of pure terror from Mauk, then the crack of thunder announce that this is no ordinary derby. No, dark forces are at play tonight, and the blood of Mauk is already being consumed by a ravenous A-League marquee.

At the height of the raging storm, Koren utters the words handed down to him from ages past, and hoists the limp form of Mauk into the ozone-heavy air. A beam of pure energy surges from the eye of the storm and impales the hapless Mauk, as his skin sloughs away and his veins boil off into the atmosphere. Darkness flows across the pitch and through the stunned crowd like a roiling ocean of madness.

JvS stands up, raises his hands to the sky, and screams “SIBON!”. Reality distends and reflects back in on itself as Koren slumps to the grass, with Mauk nowhere to be seen. In his place, a towering figure emerges from the absolute blackness. Chaos. Insanity. Despair. Those in the crowd who have not gone insane from witnessing the past, present and future as one now stare in wonder as Melbourne City’s saviour calmly gathers up the ball.

Gerald Sibon has returned.

City go on to win 1-0 with a Williams tap-in in the 92nd minute.

Can we make this a weekly thing?

• Like 4

Damn, reading through the different threads in this forum this arvo has got me excited about the game tomorrow.  I really need to get hold of a ticket!

To continue to get everyone in the mood for a big one:

Great video! Man I really wish we didn't let Engelaar go. What a beast!

Also watching the highlights from the last few games with my girlfriend made me sick because after scoring and taking the lead I had to follow that up with, aaaaand we went on to lose this game, or aaaaand we conceded in the last 2 minutes of stoppage time to draw the game. 

That wanderers home game in the last match of the season deserved a win too considering Engelaar scored another pearler and Hoffman decided to play serious now and score.

I honestly think on paper, the tards should be favourites for this one but football matches obviously aren't won on paper, let alone derbies. 

We need to actually fire up from the get go for once though, if we're lackluster early on we'll get pumped.

David Villa says Melbourne derby looming as vital game in development of rebadged City

David Davutovic

October 24, 2014

DAVID Villa has declared Saturday’s derby a crucial game for the young club.

It’s just the 13th derby clash between the clubs since City joined the A-League as Heart in 2010.

Villa, who’s scored two goals in as many games, said games of this magnitude were crucial for the rebadged club.

“It’s a big game, a very important for the city but especially for our club,’’ Villa said.

“Victory has been part of the competition for many years where for Melbourne City it’s just the start.

“Derbies are very important and winning this game is crucial.

“I’m very aware of the importance of this match and I’ll do my best to make the City fans happy and hope they enjoy the game.

“We know that expectations are high and we hope to win.’’

Villa, who has played in some spiteful El Clasico’s in Spain as well as the Atletico-Real Madrid derbies, was looking forward to an electric atmosphere at Etihad Stadium.

The striker was personally delighted with his start to the season, scoring two predatory goals in one start and a substitute appearance.

“I wish I could’ve won one of the matches. I’m very happy to have scored two goals,’’ he said.

“I’ve been told 50,000 people will be attending and the main thing is that people want to see this game and they enjoy it.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/david-villa-says-melbourne-derby-looming-as-vital-game-in-development-of-rebadged-city/story-fnk6pqhd-1227101429281?nk=307ca1a179ffa518c91545e3e21dc98e