Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

2 hours ago, strider said:

We're better off wishing for this cunt's death than his contract termination. The former is infinitely more likely

Paulo Retre jumped out in front of my car a few weeks ago and I instinctively slammed on the brakes, but if it were JVS I'd probably have to think about it.

• Like 2

man i wish i could get priced out of being fired.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-indicates-he-will-leave-club-after-next-season/news-story/26f43527115dda297d9a9d7da9a702cf

Not long after completing his $3.5 million dollar move to Melbourne City, I understand Tim Cahill might be rocking the boat. I'm hearing from inside the City camp that our Tim has become somewhat of the coach.

Cahill, who signed a two-year playing deal, which includes a coaching pathway offered to him in year three has already started addressing the players at the club, perhaps being a bit over zealous with the whole coaching thing. 

Some players are secretly referring to him as 'Coach Cahill' and are possibly getting mixed messages as to who is the real boss.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/list/secret-agent-cahill-causing-ripples/d6s8aa46xi0z1cv8odhttsqri/slide/1

Yeah, that was posted before. Complete bullshit article lol. 

I was asked if I was a member yet on Saturday, and the guy jokingly said to sign up so "I can steal all your money, hahaha". I replied, "Sure, ya know, once we get a new manager, my bank account's yours." He quickly said, albeit sadly, "Ohh, new manager?" in a "come on, dude." sort of tone. They're obviously aware. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

This thread could just be made up of quotes from earlier in the thread and it would remain topical. FML.

Here's a few from October 2014

"Our left defence is our weakness IMO." 

"We're 2 decent full backs and a keeper away from being amongst the elite in this league." 

"....we all new we needed a leftback before last season ended." 

• Like 1

wonder how much the City Group head honchos are seeing what Pep is doing in Manchester, and if it will give them further confidence to cut JVS at the knees earlier than later this season.

I know Pep is on another level, but it just shows that you dont necessarily have to throw the baby out with the bath water in relation to players, often it is the gaffer (like Pellegrini) who can take an exceptional squad and turn into rubbish. 3 months ago city fans were questioning why they spent 50 mil on Sterling, he now looks like he is worth twice that of Pogba. 

JVS has never proven he is even a decent coach, let alone good. Again, as I have stressed the fact that we have had 2 coaches in our history of zero success, shows Munn has to go as well. Surely the City Group can see this.

Edited by CityHeart
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CityHeart said:

JVS has never proven he is even a decent coach, let alone good. Again, as I have stressed the fact that we have had 2 coaches in our history of zero success, shows Munn has to go as well. Surely the City Group can see this.

fwiw I dont think Munn has ever been the guy to make the call on wether the manager goes, it's always been a board/cfg decision.

Whenever you doubt yourself, remember JVS has managed to be one of the highest paid managers in the A-League for 5 years, as well as having managed in the best league outside of Europe and South America, and even managed in the Eredivisie, all while not even showing the slightest glimpse of competence or ability.

Anything really is possible.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Tesla said:

Whenever you doubt yourself, remember JVS has managed to be one of the highest paid managers in the A-League for 5 years, as well as having managed in the best league outside of Europe and South America, and even managed in the Eredivisie, all while not even showing the slightest glimpse of competence or ability.

Anything really is possible.

must be whoring himself to jew reptilians you reckon? 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tesla said:

fwiw I dont think Munn has ever been the guy to make the call on wether the manager goes, it's always been a board/cfg decision.

Probably now for sure, but pre-CFG I think the CEO would have had a big say on the direction the board took etc.

Speaking of CEO's, we need to dump him for his look/media weakness alone. Get rid of the bean-counter bloke who gives us no media coverage or outside of the box type leadership - and get someone like the turd did with Ian Robson - always on SEN, always talking them up etc. a Go-getter. 

18 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

Probably now for sure, but pre-CFG I think the CEO would have had a big say on the direction the board took etc.

Speaking of CEO's, we need to dump him for his look/media weakness alone. Get rid of the bean-counter bloke who gives us no media coverage or outside of the box type leadership - and get someone like the turd did with Ian Robson - always on SEN, always talking them up etc. a Go-getter.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when someone called the Munnster a bean counter. Pro-tip don't get on his bad side.

Also the same Ian Robson who destroyed my footy club? Don't need his type thanks.

Edited by thisphantomfortress

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall when someone called the Munnster a bean counter. Pro-tip don't get on his bad side.

Always makes me laugh when people presume to know what goes on in a position like this and whether they're any good. Internally they'll know exactly whether he's any good or not, and thats the only opinion that matters when it comes to CEO's. The talking to the media thing seems to be a CFG wide policy.

• Like 1

What I said had nothing to do with his ability as a CEO per se - but the look from the outside. Sporting 'clubs' are not fortune 500 companies, the CEO role is as much about the public fan interaction etc as it is the business side.

It is why AFL clubs in this country promote a President's role - no day to do roles, but the outside perception is every bit the most important function of the club. All clubs, franchises whatever you want to call them are effectively member based organisations. 

Ian Robson is a great sports administrator - sure what happened at Essendon wasn't ideal but there was a reason he got a job 5 minutes after resigning - a) he is extremely good at what he does and Hawthorn was proof of that, b ) what happened at Essendon was a result of something much deeper than the current CEO position. The President had deep personal history with the 'favorite son' and so many protocols were ignored. 

The media thing hasn't just started with CFG, sure it may be their policy but it is more than luck as to why we have hardly penetrated the market in a real sense at all.

10 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

The media thing hasn't just started with CFG, sure it may be their policy but it is more than luck as to why we have hardly penetrated the market in a real sense at all.

Unfortunately this is true. I'd be very interested to know what the real metrics are season-by-season as set by CFG. I find it hard to believe that our memberships and attendances meet CFG's expectations, and I would think that our finishing positions in the past two seasons would only just scrape over the line - that's if they did.
IMO Munn does have input into the on-field performance side of things when he forms the opinion that it's affecting the club's overall business performance - his public comment on our performance in the Cup in Perth last season being an example. I still think Munn is safe though. His master stroke was basing the club at Latrobe University.

We've had this debate a few times and I've still got the same arguments for Munn, which are:

1. He did a good job with no resources during the Heart days

2. There has been a significant improvement off the field since the CFG resources have been available, and the only thing holding that side of things back further is the lack of on field success.

3. It's very unlikely that anyone who replaces him will give a fuck about the fans as much as Munn does

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

We've had this debate a few times and I've still got the same arguments for Munn, which are:

1. He did a good job with no resources during the Heart days

2. There has been a significant improvement off the field since the CFG resources have been available, and the only thing holding that side of things back further is the lack of on field success.

3. It's very unlikely that anyone who replaces him will give a fuck about the fans as much as Munn does

I wasn't aware of Munns positive track record re: fan engagement. what specifically is this point in response to.

9 hours ago, CityHeart said:

What I said had nothing to do with his ability as a CEO per se - but the look from the outside. Sporting 'clubs' are not fortune 500 companies, the CEO role is as much about the public fan interaction etc as it is the business side.

It is why AFL clubs in this country promote a President's role - no day to do roles, but the outside perception is every bit the most important function of the club. All clubs, franchises whatever you want to call them are effectively member based organisations. 

Ian Robson is a great sports administrator - sure what happened at Essendon wasn't ideal but there was a reason he got a job 5 minutes after resigning - a) he is extremely good at what he does and Hawthorn was proof of that, b ) what happened at Essendon was a result of something much deeper than the current CEO position. The President had deep personal history with the 'favorite son' and so many protocols were ignored. 

Melbourne Victory have questionable moral standards that's all