Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Totally agree with this. He needs a CB partner that marshals the defence and lead. Then let PK do what he does best and that is just backs against the wall pure defending 

I assume this was the role that Hughes was earmarked for. I think Hughes and Chapman were supposed to be the 1st choice pairing with PK as backup. It is frustrating knowing that Hughes was brought in because he suits the way we want to play but can't get a start over Paddy who, for all his qualities, does not suit the way we want to play.

2 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I assume this was the role that Hughes was earmarked for. I think Hughes and Chapman were supposed to be the 1st choice pairing with PK as backup. It is frustrating knowing that Hughes was brought in because he suits the way we want to play but can't get a start over Paddy who, for all his qualities, does not suit the way we want to play.

If that's the case then why was Paddy made the team captain?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I can't turn up the reference off the top of my head (help please Murfy1!) but IIRC players such as Sorensen and Hughes were brought in to address some dressing room issues as well as to add experience to an otherwise brittle defence. The signing of Hughes might have worked, even though he was destined to miss several matches at the start of the season because of international duty with Northern Ireland, but once he was injured then it became, IMO, a poorly-judged one. He's only now getting a look-in because of the silly injury to Chappy and because Callum Richardson seems to be out of favour (that's if he was ever in).

41 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Fair point. Maybe Chapman was meant to be on the bench, while Hughes and Paddy started. I assumed JVS would want Chapman to learn next to Hughes.

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Callum Richardson seems to be out of favour (that's if he was ever in).

Would be interested to know what happened with Richardson, I thought there was a bit of a buzz around him during pre-season.

6 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Would be interested to know what happened with Richardson, I thought there was a bit of a buzz around him during pre-season.

I don't think anyone outside the coaching panel knows. Both he and Dekker went well in pre-season, but now seem out of favour.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think anyone outside the coaching panel knows. Both he and Dekker went well in pre-season, but now seem out of favour.

I wouldn't say that Dekker is out of favour as much as it is clear that he is a centre forward rather than a winger, and as we play with 1 striker and Bruno is in good form and can play 90 minutes there is no opportunity to play him

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I can't turn up the reference off the top of my head (help please Murfy1!) but IIRC players such as Sorensen and Hughes were brought in to address some dressing room issues as well as to add experience to an otherwise brittle defence. The signing of Hughes might have worked, even though he was destined to miss several matches at the start of the season because of international duty with Northern Ireland, but once he was injured then it became, IMO, a poorly-judged one. He's only now getting a look-in because of the silly injury to Chappy and because Callum Richardson seems to be out of favour (that's if he was ever in).

JVS said this about Kisnorbo's captaincy in pre-season:

PATRICK Kisnorbo will be elevated to club captain as Melbourne City adopt a European leadership model on the eve of their FFA Cup opener away to Edgeworth Eagles.

[…]

“Patrick Kisnorbo is the captain. I had a good chat with Patrick, we would like to have not only a captain on the pitch, but also as a club,’’ van’t Schip said.

“Some European teams have that model and we’ve seen Patrick as a player and a person that can be very important for the team on and off the pitch so he’ll have that role this year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/ffa-cup-2015-patrick-kisnorbo-to-lead-injuryravaged-melbourne-city-in-opening-tie/news-story/92bec0e99350ef2bfa4868082c4b90ef

And while I couldn't readily find JVS quotes on the recruitment of Hughes and Sorensen, JVS has repeatedly said that this season is about creating "consistency", improving "professionalism" and "going to the next level". Nonetheless it seems that the whole club understand the line of thinking behind the recruitment of Hughes and Sorensen, with Kisnorbo clearly saying why they were signed here (and I do recall JVS saying similar things):

While some have raised eyebrows at the signings of Hughes and Sorenson, Kisnorbo, who spent a decade overseas, much of it in the Scottish Premier League and the English Championship, says such views are wide of the mark.

While players of their ilk can contribute on the pitch they can also offer a huge amount off it as well, something that is essential if City wants to iron out the in-and-out nature of the performances which cost them so dear last season.

"They are natural-born leaders who played in the biggest league in the world. They have vast experience and that definitely improves our squad. We put pressure on ourselves as a playing group, and to set standards for ourselves as a club. We want to bring a winning culture, and we are doing that step by step. These sorts of players come from that background, they are mentally strong and can help the younger boys develop that."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/soccer/consistency-and-competition-the-key-to-melbourne-city-success-in-aleague-says-patrick-kisnorbo-20151006-gk2ys5?

Edited by Murfy1

Serious questions need to be asked about tonight.

Firstly why drop Garuccio for Millar. Makes no sense. 

Why start Eyigun ahead of Trifiro. 

Thirdly what was our intended shape/formation was very unbalanced for most of the first half. 

Okay having players left out due to injury is beyond anyone's control but what you do to combat it is the question.  

Complete botch job.

Edited by Jovan

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Serious questions need to be asked about tonight.

Firstly why drop Garuccio for Millar. Makes no sense. 

Why start Eyigun ahead of Trofiro. 

Thirdly what was our intended shape/formation was very unbalanced for most of the first half. 

Okay having players left out is due to injury is beyond anyone's control but what you do to combat it is the question.  

Complete botch job.

Absolutely, I was asking the same thing about Garuccio and Trifiro - given they weren't injured it makes no sense to me.

I really don't want to bag young kids but seriously they were not ready. Why have players with A league games experience overlooked for basically debutants that frankly are way out of their depth. And to have 2 starting and one in the central midfield. 

Just wrong. 

57 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Millar had to stay on to be the right wing back in a 3-5-2 ish formation we played, Garrucio at right back isn't really and option, would genuinely like us to play this formation more when we've got the whole band back together.

This is exactly right.

Though Millar was having an absolute shocker, the Eyigun move at that point was the correct one as it allowed the formation change which got us back into the game.

For that JvS has to take credit - though doesn't forgive the way he initially setup the team, as we were extremely lucky we weren't 5-0 down after the first half hour.

Thought Novillo was a different player once he went more central and we looked more threatening. Perhaps the RW import is not so necessary now if we play this way.

Replace Millar with Franjic, Melling with Retre or Paartalu and Mooy for Mauk or Koren and that 3-5-2 has a real nice feel to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rass said:

This is exactly right.

Though Millar was having an absolute shocker, the Eyigun move at that point was the correct one as it allowed the formation change which got us back into the game.

For that JvS has to take credit - though doesn't forgive the way he initially setup the team, as we were extremely lucky we weren't 5-0 down after the first half hour.

Thought Novillo was a different player once he went more central and we looked more threatening. Perhaps the RW import is not so necessary now if we play this way.

Replace Millar with Franjic, Melling with Retre or Paartalu and Mooy for Mauk or Koren and that 3-5-2 has a real nice feel to it.

Maybe with Hughes Kisnorbo Clisby as a set 3 and Franjic and Zullo more wingbacks it could seriously work. It requires a well positioned intelligent #6 though. 

• Like 1

It's always the next bloody game that's the test of where this team is at (and presumably the game for JVS to be judged by). It's never the 4 seasons he's already been in charge. Always next training facility/next season/next fitness coach/next goalie/next playing roster/next owners/next marquee/next away game/next home game/next season.

He may get it right eventually (when everything comes together or he has the right assistant coach as JA at Brisbane seems to have). If he keeps getting season after season to get it right I won't be surprised if he gets it right eventually... but he shouldn't have had so long to get it right. Am I right? 

End of mid season rant. Next rant due in March. 

Edited by Alexxxandro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexxxandro said:

It's always the next bloody game that's the test of where this team is at (and presumably the game for JVS to be judged by). It's never the 4 seasons he's already been in charge. Always next training facility/next season/next fitness coach/next goalie/next playing roster/next owners/next marquee/next away game/next home game/next season.

He may get it right eventually (when everything comes together or he has the right assistant coach as JA at Brisbane seems to have). If he keeps getting season after season to get it right I won't be surprised if he gets it right eventually... but he shouldn't have had so long to get it right. Am I right? 

End of mid season rant. Next rant due in March. 

Give a monkey a typewriter, endless paper and endless time and eventually it'll type a complete edition of Encyclopaedia Brittanica

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Give a monkey a typewriter, endless paper and endless time and eventually it'll type a complete edition of Encyclopaedia Brittanica

Surely our patience can't extend that far............

Jvs is still pissing me off and the weekend being a case in point. He seems to enjoy an air of experimentation in squad positions and selection which means we're not settled. I understand injuries have been bad, but despite this players are thrown around in all sorts of positions from week to week and you just can't settle a team. Sitting behind Graeme Arnold on the weekend watching him pull out every stop to cajole and berate to get a win vs Jvs trying ideas was laughable. Annie spotted the weakness immediately and you could hear him try to exploit it immediately. If we're down on personnel because of injury it surely means you take a pragmatic approach and try to negate a game and kill it to some extent. But no, we come out trying to attack and we're lucky to not be 3-0 in the first 20 minutes with more experienced players sitting on the bench. He seems to think it's all about development and an academic exercise rather than being hard nosed and grinding out wins. The opposition shots on goal we are conceding at the moment is alarming and we can't win anything with that happening. He just can't kill a game - or won't. Compare that to Popovic or Arnold who will.

And a final point, it's obvious to everyone Koren is struggling in terms of fitness, speed and confidence. Ageing number 10's around the world adapt and play deeper in the 6 or (especially) 8 role because they can't get up and down the park.  Whilst their legs are gone, their guile and vision has not. Yet every week he has Koren in an advanced position where he can't track and is slowing down to be effective, thus he goes missing.  Week after week. It's just begging for him to be tried deeper in training and yet on the park the team is exposed by the same insanity. It might not work I admit, but it's obvious the way we're using him and the way he's playing is useless. The guy has a CV that tells us he can play but a body that can't.  Try something or drop him!! 

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

Surely our patience can't extend that far............

Jvs is still pissing me off and the weekend being a case in point. He seems to enjoy an air of experimentation in squad positions and selection which means we're not settled. I understand injuries have been bad, but despite this players are thrown around in all sorts of positions from week to week and you just can't settle a team.

I listened to his post-match Q&A and although I haven't recorded his precise words there's a section where he makes it pretty clear that he gave Eyigun a start in the A-League as an experiment just as you say, that he was pulled off because we needed a tactical change, and words to the effect that he'll get another chance.

Van 't Schip will never be anything other than a youth coach.

• Like 1

I see it all now, He is a youth coach and that only. He do's all that experimenting because he has this phylosophy that with youth players it don't matter whether we win or lose because he will have the same group of players next year, well most of them. He needs to be gone and NOW.

Edited by johnno cpfc

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Dropped Koren! 

Beat WSW and stopped the winning streak they where on!

Brought on Trifiro for Hughes who was great in midfield! 

JVS is slowly winning me over. 

It's just one of those things i can't bring myself to admit. Much like the CFG takeover. In two minds, but the results are coming and the winning culture is starting to take shape

The way I see it, JVS is currently in the best position that we can hope for as fans. He's been so consitantly shit for so long that we are now in a win-win position.

If JVS keeps up the good work, we keep winning and get some much needed silverwear. WIN

If JVS reverts to his usual awful self he gets the sack and we get a better manager to win us some much needed silverwear. WIN

At this point we can't really lose with him

Ok JVS. You need to stay...

Not because he is good- I still think he is terrible, but if it isnt baffling enough that he still has a job the fact we can play like we did for most of the game last night and he can 1- still get the three points and 2- escape criticism is absolutely mind blowing. 

I have absolutely no idea how he does this but however he does it seems to be working. The only logical conclusion i can come up with is that he is a jedi. 

Edited by KSK_47

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

The only logical conclusion i can come up with is that he is a jedi. 

whoa there don't bring us into this :P   

I just think at this point in the season a switch would be bad because we'd be rebuilding from scratch tactically at the business end of the season.   As I recall the news was saying CFG gave JVS til January to turn the club around, and he's obviously met that.   So he's earned his right to stay for now.   

I suppose Gombau backed out too or something.   Whichever way you swing it, there are probably bigger issues for us to resolve like Koren not being worth his status as marquee and the constant pain train of injuries to our players.   

3 minutes ago, haz said:

JVS will still be gone at the end of the season 

I don't see that the JvS fundamentals have really changed. As in the Sydney match, last night we were over-run for most of the game, and our boys were physically done after 25 minutes. Somehow we have stolen four points when the return could so easily have been zero.

Last night JvS was up to his usual tricks. A non-existent right flank. Both Retre and Hughes are short on pace, and I don't recall seeing much of a RW at all until Williams came on, and he was almost invisible. After Millar and Eyigun started last week both disappear completely and out of his lucky bag he produces Dekker and Williams on the bench! I don't think you can win silverware with this continual chopping and changing.

His positive was that he finally had the balls to drop Robi Koren.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't see that the JvS fundamentals have really changed. As in the Sydney match, last night we were over-run for most of the game, and our boys were physically done after 25 minutes. Somehow we have stolen four points when the return could so easily have been zero.

Last night JvS was up to his usual tricks. A non-existent right flank. Both Retre and Hughes are short on pace, and I don't recall seeing much of a RW at all until Williams came on, and he was almost invisible. After Millar and Eyigun started last week both disappear completely and out of his lucky bag he produces Dekker and Williams on the bench! I don't think you can win silverware with this continual chopping and changing.

His positive was that he finally had the balls to drop Robi Koren.

Tinkerman 2.0?