Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

I have always hoped that since the take over they will make a statement not with players but with the coaching and the academy. So I am still hoping for JVS being removed from head coach and for us to get one who its going to take the standard of coaching in the league a lot further ahead than what we have now.

I'm with you on that but unfortunately the JVS bandwagon seems to still be in motion, despite running on vapors.  

• Like 1

I have always hoped that since the take over they will make a statement not with players but with the coaching and the academy. So I am still hoping for JVS being removed from head coach and for us to get one who its going to take the standard of coaching in the league a lot further ahead than what we have now.

I'm with you on that but unfortunately the JVS bandwagon seems to still be in motion, despite running on vapors.

I also still think its feasible for the cfg to say to all the staff, alright we will give you the season and then they review everything. Its not like they cant pay out contracts

Edited by Dylan

Hypothetically speaking we could have the 10 best coaches in the World in the A League.

Someone will always finish last, 9th., 8th. etc.

It doesn't mean you're a bad coach because the team is not in first four in the A League.

Squad depth, difficult in a low salary capped competition and injuries/lack of injuries to key players are very important considerations.

Squad depth, difficult in a low salary capped competition and injuries/lack of injuries to key players are very important considerations.

I don't really accept the point your trying to make. With the 10 best coaches you would still see which ones would get the best results. And your point doesn't really have any relevance to the reality of the situation, we don't have anywhere near the best coaches in the world. If anything our coaches may be some of the poorer coaches compared to a lot of leagues in the world. So getting a coach right that will be able to get squad depth right within a salary capped league and a team surrounding him to manage and maintain players physically is what makes the difference between the successful coaches and average coaches of the league.

• Like 1

I don't really accept the point your trying to make. With the 10 best coaches you would still see which ones would get the best results. And your point doesn't really have any relevance to the reality of the situation, we don't have anywhere near the best coaches in the world. If anything our coaches may be some of the poorer coaches compared to a lot of leagues in the world. So getting a coach right that will be able to get squad depth right within a salary capped league and a team surrounding him to manage and maintain players physically is what makes the difference between the successful coaches and average coaches of the league.

How dare you use logic when talking about JVS!

Brings Marino over as our only recognised striker & he never gets on , taxi please at the end of season !!!

It seems odd.

This was the opportunity to play him, getting him experience in a game that means nothing.

Going down to 10 players didn't help I am sure, but still should have started him.

Edited by Heart_fan

How often do you hear the really good coaches in the A League or in other sports blaming the players and not accepting their share of the blame?

For example, Paul Roos, a premiership coach, accepts responsibility for when Melbourne, a weak team, plays poorly.
He asks whether he's got the training right, prepared them right mentally for the challenge etc. etc.

How often do you hear the really good coaches in the A League or in other sports blaming the players and not accepting their share of the blame?

For example, Paul Roos, a premiership coach, accepts responsibility for when Melbourne, a weak team, plays poorly.

He asks whether he's got the training right, prepared them right mentally for the challenge etc. etc.

When Paul Roos became Melbourne coach for the first two games he publicly blasted the players until Peter Jackson told him to pull his head in. In the past Ron Barassi, John Kennedy, Kevin Sheedy amongst others have blasted their players for mental weakness, poor attitude, etc. AFAIK this is the first time that JVS has done so.

Regardless of what happens for the rest of this season, JVS needs to go. With so many players out of contract, a new manager has an opportunity to build the squad they want, and we shouldn't squander that. If JVS stays, honestly I cant see him lasting more than 1 season, if that. So a new manager will come in with players locked in and not a lot of room to do what they want with the squad.

Regardless of what happens for the rest of this season, JVS needs to go. With so many players out of contract, a new manager has an opportunity to build the squad they want, and we shouldn't squander that. If JVS stays, honestly I cant see him lasting more than 1 season, if that. So a new manager will come in with players locked in and not a lot of room to do what they want with the squad.

Your logic is fine, and I hope you're right, but TBH I doubt that it's going to happen.

Whatever they do I hope they realise that I for one don't know if my nerves or patience can take another season where we may or may not scrape into the finals.

Pretty much this.

JVS got JA lucky this season with all that has gone on (Perth being booted out, Brisbane running out of puff to chase us for the final playing spot due to the fact they had to play twice a week)

However, if we sneak a win first week of finals against Adelaide shit, i can't see him going anywhere unfortunately :(

I was listening to the fox football pod and the comment was made by Simon Hill that our dressing room is very very quiet and there are no real dominant players to act as leaders on the field with the exception of Melling. Then they mocked JVS post game Perth comments about our fragile mentality and not turning up to games and said 'well that is his job'.  I thought about this and I think its true, the only player you see pre game bouncing around is Melling and the rest just seem like they are going through the motions. Its great that the club has this 'super professional' approach, but I think its gone too far and now all the players seem to have wild swings in motivation and its all become a bit stale.

hopefully another nail in the dutch coffin

you would think for so many guys who are trying to renew their contracts or get noticed for elsewhere that they would turn it up a bit... but still no so I guess it's players AND JVS. 

Its not that easy. Have you ever had a job that you liked but your boss is a moron? Its very difficult to keep motivated. Especially when he continually blames the staff for problems that are his doing

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Then they mocked JVS post game Perth comments about our fragile mentality and not turning up to games and said 'well that is his job'.

And there is the crux of the problem. You can blame the finishing, you can blame injuries or training facilities or what have you. 

BUT 

the first and most important job of a coach is to get the mental side of things right. 

For this aspect of JVS's coaching I rate him about 6/10. 

I think that this is JVS' weakness as a coach and I'm not sure if it can be improved, that's why I can't see us winning the Premiership with him as coach

Very difficult to change unless you are willing and open to change as a coach. As a coach your belief system sets the precedence for everything you do and if this belief system isn't able to set in motion a set of behaviours that will connect with people then results will suffer.

In other words he's fucked.

Edited by n i k o

Then they mocked JVS post game Perth comments about our fragile mentality and not turning up to games and said 'well that is his job'.

And there is the crux of the problem. You can blame the finishing, you can blame injuries or training facilities or what have you.

BUT

the first and most important job of a coach is to get the mental side of things right.

For this aspect of JVS's coaching I rate him about 6/10. 6/10? You are a generous sod.

• Like 1

Recently we went on a run of 5 games undefeated which came unstuck against Perth due to bad finishing, bad refereeing, and injuries , I thought our passing game was excellent , if we go on another couple of games undefeated we could find ourselves playing in a Grand Final ( Dreaming ) maybe But it is possible, then we would be saying We had a successful season, the only team I fear are the Victory every other team is beatable. IF WE TURN UP then what would be the opinion of JVS

Recently we went on a run of 5 games undefeated which came unstuck against Perth due to bad finishing, bad refereeing, and injuries , I thought our passing game was excellent , if we go on another couple of games undefeated we could find ourselves playing in a Grand Final ( Dreaming ) maybe But it is possible, then we would be saying We had a successful season, the only team I fear are the Victory every other team is beatable. IF WE TURN UP then what would be the opinion of JVS

"If we go another couple of games undefeated" no, that's the problem, we have to win absolutely all those games. I can't see us winning three away games in a row, let alone high pressure games. You can't progress from a scoreless draw and I can't see how our strikers will all suddenly fire up for penalties.

• Like 1