Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Twitter the All night appetite, which is a show on SEN.

They have tweeted that rumours have it JVS replacement has landed in Melbourne from Italy.

Probably rubbish but you never know.

Hopefully its some fascist hard bastard who will beat some sense into these pussies

oh wait...can it be!?!?....

_66998984_dicanio1.jpg

Edited by Young Polak

Twitter the All night appetite, which is a show on SEN.

They have tweeted that rumours have it JVS replacement has landed in Melbourne from Italy.

Probably rubbish but you never know.

Hopefully its some fascist hard bastard who will beat some sense into these pussies

oh wait...can it be!?!?....

_66998984_dicanio1.jpg

Di canio in suminic in club to release overcoats as merch

• Like 1

The manager should be under a world of pressure, and it wouldn't be shocking if he was replaced.

I 'defended' the coaching staff, at least I was not calling for sackings, a few weeks back, but after last round the coaching staff just can't be defended. I think effectively no jobs at the club can be defended: Munn's job, van Schip's job, Didulica's job and the jobs of 90% of the players.

As far as I am concerned they are all on borrowed time, and have all got a lot more chances to prove themselves than they deserved. So none of them can complain if they are moved on.

To quickly sum up my previous thinking on JVS, I'll just say that since more than half the team consisted of players from last season, I believed that a transitional coach, who could get the most or a lot out of players like Dugandzic, Williams and co. was desirable. The coach also had to move the team into a new era of superior football, whilst working with at least several players from the Heart era that the club was stuck with. JVS has thus far undeniably failed on both counts, and JVS has got results much lower than last season's level of performance, where JVS got 6 wins out of 15 (40%), and was undefeated (got wins or draws) in 10 out of 15 games (66%).

Calling for sackings is something I really don't care for either, and despite being a foundation member I didn't call for any sackings at all until last season. However, it's clear that it's in the best interests of the club to replace a number of people at the club.

I still believe the squad is a bigger problem than the coach, but the squad can't be replaced mid-season. The coach however can be.

I also think that senior figures at the club, such as Munn and Didulica, and this club's culture, are at least as problematic as the coaching staff. And I believe that both of those areas, the club's senior figures and the club's culture, are deeply intertwined.

So a coaching change might address one weakness, but 3 other serious areas of weakness, the squad, the senior figures at the club and the club culture will continue to cause the team to struggle IMO. 

I hope I'm wrong and the club and the team can improve much quicker than I predict, but IMO there's a deadly cocktail of 4 weak areas at the club, and I don't think the team will be able to start regularly being successful until most of those areas are addressed, which can probably only happen by next season at the earliest.

• Like 4

JVS can go.

Mate dived and was an awful decision by the ref to give that.

Just because we had a 1-0 win doesn't mean shit. Tando had fuck all to do, we got a pen from a dive, Ramsay still came on for some unknown reason. Fuck off Munn, JVS. This shit performance means that the 3pts taken will paper over the cracks.

• Like 1

Anyone else feel like 80% of the game seemed to take place basically around on the halfway line... still needs to go ASAP.

God yes! zero shots on target from either side at half time(although Brisbane did hit the bar and miss a sitter), and the Roar didnt have an actual shot on target until something like the 70th minute.

Finally made a lot of changes, which was good to see.

It really could have backfired making so many changes, especially with so many young players like Melling, Garuccio, Chapman all being given starting berths at once. But thankfully the changes came up trumps.

JVS would still have to do a lot more to really prove himself. But he deserves some credit today for making so many changes and getting the 1-0 win.

I'll be somewhat impressed when we beat one of Perth, Sydney, Visitors, Adelaide, Wellington. Winning against any of the other teams should be guaranteed, but we can't even manage that regularly.

I guess we have to start somehow though.

It really could have backfired making so many changes, especially with so many young players like Melling, Garuccio, Chapman all being given starting berths at once. But thankfully the changes came up trumps.

JVS would still have to do a lot more to really prove himself. But he deserves some credit today for making so many changes and getting the 1-0 win.

No - JVS does not deserve credit. Aside from Chapman who is recovering from illness, many of the changes today could have been made at any stage over the last month. JVS has not been ruthless enough with the players and so if would kept the same team then he would have tested the patience of CFG. He certainly has tested the patience of people who write in these forums.

Anyone else feel like 80% of the game seemed to take place basically around on the halfway line... still needs to go ASAP.

God yes! zero shots on target from either side at half time(although Brisbane did hit the bar and miss a sitter), and the Roar didnt have an actual shot on target until something like the 70th minute.Roar did not offer anything remotely challenging today

Decent opposition would have destroyed them comfortably

Edited by Jestr

God yes! zero shots on target from either side at half time(although Brisbane did hit the bar and miss a sitter), and the Roar didnt have an actual shot on target until something like the 70th minute.Roar did not offer anything remotely challenging today

Decent opposition would have destroyed them comfortably

Pretty much.

No - JVS does not deserve credit. Aside from Chapman who is recovering from illness, many of the changes today could have been made at any stage over the last month. JVS has not been ruthless enough with the players and so if would kept the same team then he would have tested the patience of CFG. He certainly has tested the patience of people who write in these forums.

JVS v1.0 would have been ruthless in dropping out of form players - Heffernan, Beauchamp, Colosimo, as well as being tactically flexible. JVS v2.0 is strangely conservative and reluctant to change anything.

• Like 1

Agree Bela, he seems to have lost his nerve. I don't think he would have changed the defence with a 1:0 loss last week. He was forced into it and luckily( forgive the use of an Aliosism) it paid off. Be interesting to see what the mindset is going into the Derby.

Patrick Viera in.

I genuinely believe this could happen

Never in a billion years.

Viera is too important to the youth development of City.  He is worth far more to man city than he is to us.

The even call the youth development team "Viera's team".

Zero to No Chance.

Nonsense. I watch every home game of the EDS side and nobody at Hyde has ever uttered such a thing in 2 years. Patrick has ambitions for management and a spell managing Melbourne would be another stepping stone towards getting the City job eventually. Managing at u21 level will not aid his development especially as most of the young players will not even get a chance.

Patrick Viera in.

I genuinely believe this could happen  

Never in a billion years.

Viera is too important to the youth development of City.  He is worth far more to man city than he is to us.

The even call the youth development team "Viera's team".

Zero to No Chance.

Nonsense. I watch every home game of the EDS side and nobody at Hyde has ever uttered such a thing in 2 years. Patrick has ambitions for management and a spell managing Melbourne would be another stepping stone towards getting the City job eventually. Managing at u21 level will not aid his development especially as most of the young players will not even get a chance.

At the moment we'll pretty much take any cast offs you might have.

Haha! Di canio is a scum bag

I assume people are joking when they bring up Di Canio's name? Seems to be handy for beating a few wins out a team that is trying to stave off relegation, before he causes a near-mutiny against him and is moved on.

And, of course, relegation is never a concern for this club, even though it probably should be.

Yesterday proved nothing!

Roar were coming off a 4 day break - flying from Brisbane to Sydney to Brisbane to Melbourne.

The game was a snooze-fest.  

The penalty was lucky.

We still blasted the ball over the bar from right in front, or failed to hit the target on many other occasions.

We were lucky not to go 0-2 down in the first half.  A better team with a better finisher would have put both of Matt McKay's goals in.

Still far too many passengers. 

But at least we won......................

and we get to see JVS trendy new fashion wear - black sneakers with a suit.

Roar were coming off a 4 day break - flying from Brisbane to Sydney to Brisbane to Melbourne.

The penalty was lucky.

We still blasted the ball over the bar from right in front, or failed to hit the target on many other occasions.

We were lucky not to go 0-2 down in the first half. A better team with a better finisher would have put both of Matt McKay's goals in.

You make some good points. I've got some to add as well....

Think about the road trip from the airport to the stadium for Brisbane, definitely exhausting

Clearly there's some voodoo against Brisbane when they play us, FFA investigation?

Lack of away support for Brisbane must have severely affected their performance

They have a new coach

They don't have their old coach

Broich is injured

They hit the crossbar

We get all the luck, we're such a lucky team

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

The penalty was lucky.

We were lucky not to go 0-2 down in the first half.  A better team with a better finisher would have put both of Matt McKay's goals in.

"We still blasted the ball over the bar from right in front, or failed to hit the target on many other occasions."

That's because we have poor quality players like Williams and Brown who need to be sent packing.

• Like 1

The penalty was lucky.

Well to the players, it actually proved they can keep a clean sheet and actually win a game. 

What a lot of people here don't appreciate is how hard it would have been for these guys to bounce back from probably their worst performance ever only last week.

It's actually a very impressive result given where their confidence would have been at and considering Brisbane have just come off a win with their new coach.

Yeah so we are still making some of the same mistakes, but  we didn't replace our team last week with the Brasil side of '82 - so these things weren't going to be fixed overnight.

Far happier to go into a derby with a win behind us and not another shit result. Tipping the players would be too.

Happy for you though if you managed to get a snooze during the game. Hope you're nice and relaxed today....

• Like 3

David Davutovic was on SEN earlier today and he explained that his latest information was the CFG are asking serious questions about the club and coaching staff JVS in particular they have also stressed their concern over the injuries to players and there not happy with the progress or lack there of from the playing group.

David seems to think that given our poor result in the 1st Darby, this next one will be extremely important for the Melbourne City football department. Reading between the lines JVS will get the chop if we lose on the December 20th and boxing day. It would also leave massive question marks of personal within the playing group, I have always said that all those missed chances will have consequences...  

He did also mention the Chapman, Gurcio, Melling, and Brown were massive positives to come out from yesterdays win...

In all honesty I think JVS will need to do something amazing to keep his job. a loss against Victory and then Glory and his gone... and he only has himself to blame.. (recruiting, metal preparation and coaching staff are all his responsibility and he should have recruited the best available in terms of coaching staff, sports scientist, physio, defenders and strikers.) you fucked it buddy!!!!!

• Like 1

David Davutovic was on SEN earlier today and he explained that his latest information was the CFG are asking serious questions about the club and coaching staff JVS in particular they have also stressed their concern over the injuries to players and there not happy with the progress or lack there of from the playing group.

David seems to think that given our poor result in the 1st Darby, this next one will be extremely important for the Melbourne City football department. Reading between the lines JVS will get the chop if we lose on the December 20th and boxing day. It would also leave massive question marks of personal within the playing group, I have always said that all those missed chances will have consequences...  

He did also mention the Chapman, Gurcio, Melling, and Brown were massive positives to come out from yesterdays win...

In all honesty I think JVS will need to do something amazing to keep his job. a loss against Victory and then Glory and his gone... and he only has himself to blame.. (recruiting, metal preparation and coaching staff are all his responsibility and he should have recruited the best available in terms of coaching staff, sports scientist, physio, defenders and strikers.) you fucked it buddy!!!!!

I actually dont think even a win will help JVS, I think the decision has already been made.

Only thing that will complicate it is if we get into the finals. 

Edited by Dylan

That sounds pretty much like the article he wrote for the Adelaide paper, so other than his observations on yesterday's game he's not saying anything new.