Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

So who gets to approve the sacking of JVS? Is it a board meeting? Is it Solano on his own? Does SM have a say? I can imagine that the board would need to have at least a phone hook up (which I hope that they are doing as I write) and then decide from there. It will be interesting to know what the process will be like.

Nobby?

• Like 1

I still don't see the justification for getting rid of SM. Apart from the football department, the club has improved in every other area this season with the greater resources the club has had at it's disposal. So much more professional, higher membership & attendances, increased brand awareness, etc.SM operated Melbourne Heart about as well as possible with the limited resources at his disposal, and now with the increase resources of Melbourne City there is a clear improvement (apart from the football department).The other thing to consider, I can't see another CEO having the fans' back as much as SM has. He actually cares about the fans. Obviously he has a job to do as well, and interests will not always align, but I just can't see another CEO looking out for the fans as much as SM.JVS and JD (how the fuck does JD still have a job?) on the other hand need to go.Also pretty sceptical about the 'jobs for the boys' recipients (primarily the other JD, and maybe Bolton too, but at least Bolton is a top bloke :up:), as goalkeeping is a problem area.

I agree with most of what you have said, but isn't the CEO's job to be in charge of all the managerial aspects of the club as well as being a decision maker of the most important aspects of the club as well as being seen as a leader. Are you happy with how the club has been managed (7 different training venues last season), the decisions made over the last 5 years (#beleive) and the leadership qualities of Scott Munn (cough Calombaris cough)???

Honestly niko the colombaris thing was a bit of banter that old georgey boy took the wrong way. Just a bit of humour.

That's it.

You're clutching at straws. Look, from the outside looking in ( and that's all it is. No one here is privy to the inside workings of the club and truly knows how things work) I would say munn's biggest flaw in his five years has been his unwillingness to sack staff that haven't cut the mustard (jvs, JA, jd).

Hell there's probably some unionist fuckwits out there that think that's an honourable trait!

Other than that, I agree with what tesla has said in that munn has done a good job with limited resources, formed purely on the basis of what I know and have learnt over the past few seasons, and well, that may well be not much at all.

• Like 2

I've gone over the whole Calombaris thing before. It's not just banter, it's an embarrassment to the club. Secondly I'm not clutching at straws. I've got a whole list of things but it'd take too long and I can't be fucked going over all the managerial fuck ups at the club over the last five seasons.

Yeh I'm sure that with most of these 'managerial fuck ups' you and I don't know the facts anyway and couldn't guarantee you wouldn't do the same thing given the time again.

I'm not saying we wouldn't have, more that we fans don't really know what goes on inside a club.

Honestly niko the colombaris thing was a bit of banter that old georgey boy took the wrong way. Just a bit of humour.

That's it.

You're clutching at straws. Look, from the outside looking in ( and that's all it is. No one here is privy to the inside workings of the club and truly knows how things work) I would say munn's biggest flaw in his five years has been his unwillingness to sack staff that haven't cut the mustard (jvs, JA, jd).

Hell there's probably some unionist fuckwits out there that think that's an honourable trait!

Other than that, I agree with what tesla has said in that munn has done a good job with limited resources, formed purely on the basis of what I know and have learnt over the past few seasons, and well, that may well be not much at all.

Tbh I don't think JVS, JA and JD is Munn's decision.

I do recall speaking to him about the appointment of JA over Millicic. He was pissed off the board did not take his and JDs advice to appoint AM over JA.

• Like 1

That's it.

I do recall speaking to him about the appointment of JA over Millicic. He was pissed off the board did not take his and JDs advice to appoint AM over JA.

I'd say that the role of coach is so high profile that hiring/firing would be done at board level. Of course SM would have an input but would not be soley responsible for the decision. As for JD, probably board would have to sign off on a recommendation from the coach and CEO - just speculating.

That's it.

Hmm, quite interesting in itself.

I get why the board took the gamble with JA, but geez has there ever been a more damning decision for the fate of a club

That's it.

I'd say that the role of coach is so high profile that hiring/firing would be done at board level. Of course SM would have an input but would not be soley responsible for the decision. As for JD, probably board would have to sign off on a recommendation from the coach and CEO - just speculating.

The way it should work is:

The board appoint the CEO

The CEO appoints the Director of Football (or Football Operations Manager or whatever you want to call it)

The Director of Football appoints the Manager

Edited by Tesla

Yeh I'm sure that with most of these 'managerial fuck ups' you and I don't know the facts anyway and couldn't guarantee you wouldn't do the same thing given the time again.

I'm not saying we wouldn't have, more that we fans don't really know what goes on inside a club.

No we don't know all the facts or the going on behind the scenes. I guess we'll find out soon enough though.

Honestly niko the colombaris thing was a bit of banter that old georgey boy took the wrong way. Just a bit of humour.That's it.You're clutching at straws. Look, from the outside looking in ( and that's all it is. No one here is privy to the inside workings of the club and truly knows how things work) I would say munn's biggest flaw in his five years has been his unwillingness to sack staff that haven't cut the mustard (jvs, JA, jd).Hell there's probably some unionist fuckwits out there that think that's an honourable trait!Other than that, I agree with what tesla has said in that munn has done a good job with limited resources, formed purely on the basis of what I know and have learnt over the past few seasons, and well, that may well be not much at all.

Tbh I don't think JVS, JA and JD is Munn's decision.I do recall speaking to him about the appointment of JA over Millicic. He was pissed off the board did not take his and JDs advice to appoint AM over JA. I'd say that the role of coach is so high profile that hiring/firing would be done at board level. Of course SM would have an input but would not be soley responsible for the decision. As for JD, probably board would have to sign off on a recommendation from the coach and CEO - just speculating.The way it should work is:The board appoint the CEOThe CEO appoints the Director of Football (or Football Operations Manager or whatever you want to call it)The Director of Football appoints the Manager Hahahahaha, yes that seems how a properly run club would do it but then again I was thinking of Melbourne Heart/City when I put fingers to keyboard LOL :) Edited by HEARTinator

The media is really putting pressure on Melbourne City and all involved. From what I am reading in newspapers and what is being said on the radio, it's hard hearing all the negativity about our club... But this is the course that needs to be run to weed out all the dead wood at the club. So as a supporter we need to hang in there.

It's clear that JVS is exploring plan B, & C but his drowning quickly. I agree with some of the comments about JD, how this block has a job is beyond my comprehension and you can add his brother to that to. Both are being carried and are on a free ride. The fitness coach is clearly an armature when it comes to preparing players for a season and the style of play we want to play.

It plainly clear to everyone now, that Melbourne City FC is in serious trouble. From the recruiting to the clubs culture... It's all wrong.

The media is really putting pressure on Melbourne City and all involved. From what I am reading in newspapers and what is being said on the radio, it's hard hearing all the negativity about our club... 

Gee, you don't want to read this forum then, although I'd call it realism on the whole rather than negativity. What puzzles me is how tactically poor JVS has been this season, especially compared to his first stint

• Like 1

That's it.

On the first point, I can't see it working that way. The CEO would be in on the interview and selection process and would present the recommendations to the board. And it would probably take something pretty extraordinary for the board not to go along with the CEO's recommendations.

On the second, that just seems like an excellent example of where the accusations of arrogance, stubbornness and lack of professionalism that are present in the last couple of pages here are coming from. Without knowing you in the slightest: why is he telling you this? I can't imagine getting into a bit of a chat with Gary Pert, Brian Cook or Stuart Fox and having one of them tell me that they were livid with their respective presidents and boards for not taking their advice. If he's that pissed off and the board isn't listening to him, the simple solution would be to resign. You can't operate effectively as a CEO in such an environment.

• Like 3

Instead of getting a big European name why don't we just hire someone who has had some success at coaching in Australian Domestic Soccer?

The perfect scenario for me if for us to sack JVS now and to get an experienced Local Caretaker for the rest of Season and then Ange to be offered way too much money to refuse taking the job once he is sacked with the NT after Australia does poorly at the Asian Cup.

Good post.

Ran out of likes.

When are likes reset. I have only been on the site for less than a minute today.

No, absolutely no. There is no way top management can hide behind the excuse of "lack of resources". This is exactly the time where good management shines or fails. Ours has failed. It has not ignited any passion, sense of pride or desire to be the best. The whole lot should go.

Absolutely correct. The CEO sets the culture of the organization. If he isn't setting it then he's condoning it. We know that the culture at City is where the fault is - "If we win, we win, if we lose, we lose." Either way, whether he's setting the culture or condoning it, Munn is responsible for it and must go.

The same applies to our current Board under Chairman Simon Pearce. They simply cannot allow this to go on, or they become culpable too.

The media has not just turned against us, it is becoming openly derisive.

I'm all for change, but what are the chances that if/when the existing "Heart" personnel go then there's no one to give a crap about our "Heart" history? Anyone new that comes in will be all about Man City this, sky blue that and there will be no one to say "well hold on a second, if you wipe out all references of Melbourne Heart completely, you're gonna piss off a LOT of existing fans".

That's not to say that's what's happening now; I'm sure Scott Munn will say and do anything to get his next pay-check...it's just a thought that came into my head...

Besides the little hearts on the emblem and the red and white away kit has anyone else from the club shown a connection to our past? We've already seen they've tried to photoshop hearts emblem out of some picture so I question if personnel was changed whether it would really change anything. I would think not tbh as everyone, including Munn, has been given objectives to follow I would think.

• Like 1

I'm all for change, but what are the chances that if/when the existing "Heart" personnel go then there's no one to give a crap about our "Heart" history? Anyone new that comes in will be all about Man City this, sky blue that and there will be no one to say "well hold on a second, if you wipe out all references of Melbourne Heart completely, you're gonna piss off a LOT of existing fans".

That's not to say that's what's happening now; I'm sure Scott Munn will say and do anything to get his next pay-check...it's just a thought that came into my head...

It's a fair point. But if this is the aspect of Heart history that the incumbents are willing to preserve, then I'll happily wave goodbye. As for sky blue, well the current administration did nothing to stop that prior to this season and the only reason the team isn't wearing sky blue kits at home is because Sydney protested.

• Like 1

Just throw everything at Brian Cook. He's been courted with offers from elsewhere the last few years, but stayed with the Cats.

Perhaps a change of sport would finally convince him.

..and then when he transforms us, he can then go onto to run the FFA / (new league if it ever comes to be).

It's a fair point. But if this is the aspect of Heart history that the incumbents are willing to preserve, then I'll happily wave goodbye. As for sky blue, well the current administration did nothing to stop that prior to this season and the only reason the team isn't wearing sky blue kits at home is because Sydney protested.

Exactly. I think most people around here need to realize that the new owners don't give a shit about our history and they never did. They purchased us for our license not the club

• Like 1

Despite the platitudes, Heart folded. They are gone. This is is a different club.

But one good thing about being a new club owned by a billionaire with no interest in local growth is that the onus is on them to convince us to support it. We already had a poorly run club that we loved and they took it from us. So now they need to give us something in return. Starting with showing us they are serious about building something worth giving up our time for.

• Like 2

That's it.

On the first point, I can't see it working that way. The CEO would be in on the interview and selection process and would present the recommendations to the board. And it would probably take something pretty extraordinary for the board not to go along with the CEO's recommendations.

On the second, that just seems like an excellent example of where the accusations of arrogance, stubbornness and lack of professionalism that are present in the last couple of pages here are coming from. Without knowing you in the slightest: why is he telling you this? I can't imagine getting into a bit of a chat with Gary Pert, Brian Cook or Stuart Fox and having one of them tell me that they were livid with their respective presidents and boards for not taking their advice. If he's that pissed off and the board isn't listening to him, the simple solution would be to resign. You can't operate effectively as a CEO in such an environment.

Great post. A lot of people point at Munn and JVS and say they are don't have enough support etc to do their job properly (or didn't in the past). Well if that was the case they either should have made such a stink about it they got sacked or changes were made or resign if they are more concerned about their career than anything else. Instead JVS leaves for "family reasons" and then comes back at the soonest opportunity. 

Despite the platitudes, Heart folded. They are gone. This is is a different club.

But one good thing about being a new club owned by a billionaire with no interest in local growth is that the onus is on them to convince us to support it. We already had a poorly run club that we loved and they took it from us. So now they need to give us something in return. Starting with showing us they are serious about building something worth giving up our time for.

I'm still holding out hope that CFG do have some interest in the local growth of the game in this country (or will develop some over time as our club develops and hopefully turns its on-field fortunes around) and that we see a degree of investment in this area, as it was something that excited me, and I'm sure others, when the takeover was originally announced.

I'm still holding out hope that CFG do have some interest in the local growth of the game in this country (or will develop some over time as our club develops and hopefully turns its on-field fortunes around) and that we see a degree of investment in this area, as it was something that excited me, and I'm sure others, when the takeover was originally announced.

Every indication they have given since the take over is there will be facilities built and there will be an academy and they will focus on producing young players, people were raving about how maybe finally the club will go back to what the Heart was supposed to do ie: produce young players. In fact a few weeks ago the heavies were over here to apparently get the process and planning started which also involved some signing of contracts according to Davutovic. No evidence to suggest that they have no interest in local growth, sure its an easy thing to say because of how shite we have been. But still, nothing to suggest that its true.

The only thing they are interested in is growing their global brand which is fair enough. Aussie soccer should benefit from this as we will get the run off from their investment, but don't forget they are not here because they are concerned about the state of football in Australia. It's (hopefully) something that benefit both parties but don't confuse it with them caring.

We need the media to get on board and demand changes - as i feel the city group are too far removed from us to know the full extent on how we feel.

So far, whenever the a-league is mentioned they are commenting on how poor our performances are.  This is a good start in demanding a new coach.

That's it.

Great post. A lot of people point at Munn and JVS and say they are don't have enough support etc to do their job properly (or didn't in the past). Well if that was the case they either should have made such a stink about it they got sacked or changes were made or resign if they are more concerned about their career than anything else. Instead JVS leaves for "family reasons" and then comes back at the soonest opportunity. @SF33: It was not unknown for Scott Munn to catch up with senior YS members and have a drink and a chat late after a game at the imp. He told me because I asked him and I definitely wouldn't be saying it on the forum, but for the fact that people are calling for his head for not getting rid off JA and JVS earlier.

In the case of JAs appointment the board were heavily involved in the interview process and ultimately it was a board decision (Sidwell's) to appoint JA.

@Alexxandro: Tesla has pointed at that Munn, since having increased resources, has improved every part of the club except the football department. Which given the evidence I do not think he has much control over. Everyone knows that the next manager who is appointed is going to be chosen by city/city's representitives on our board not Munn. As for the playing squad Munn would not have much of a say in that at all.

The only appointment/sacking I feel Munn has potentially let us down with is JD, if it is his decision at all. (I can imagine the board would be pretty controlling in our setup)

As for JVS I do not want him at the club and have called for his head for some time. So I am not trying to argue he needs time to prove himself. Munn on the other hand quite possibly has proven that with increased resources that he can do better as Tesla has pointed out.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 3

That's it.

I do recall speaking to him about the appointment of JA over Millicic. He was pissed off the board did not take his and JDs advice to appoint AM over JA. On the first point, I can't see it working that way. The CEO would be in on the interview and selection process and would present the recommendations to the board. And it would probably take something pretty extraordinary for the board not to go along with the CEO's recommendations.

On the second, that just seems like an excellent example of where the accusations of arrogance, stubbornness and lack of professionalism that are present in the last couple of pages here are coming from. Without knowing you in the slightest: why is he telling you this? I can't imagine getting into a bit of a chat with Gary Pert, Brian Cook or Stuart Fox and having one of them tell me that they were livid with their respective presidents and boards for not taking their advice. If he's that pissed off and the board isn't listening to him, the simple solution would be to resign. You can't operate effectively as a CEO in such an environment. Great post. A lot of people point at Munn and JVS and say they are don't have enough support etc to do their job properly (or didn't in the past). Well if that was the case they either should have made such a stink about it they got sacked or changes were made or resign if they are more concerned about their career than anything else. Instead JVS leaves for "family reasons" and then comes back at the soonest opportunity.

The only appointment/sacking I feel Munn has potentially let us down with is JD, if it is his decision at all. (I can imagine the board would be pretty controlling in our setup)

You do realise without JD there is no heart? It was his brainchild.

That's it.

I do recall speaking to him about the appointment of JA over Millicic. He was pissed off the board did not take his and JDs advice to appoint AM over JA. On the first point, I can't see it working that way. The CEO would be in on the interview and selection process and would present the recommendations to the board. And it would probably take something pretty extraordinary for the board not to go along with the CEO's recommendations.

On the second, that just seems like an excellent example of where the accusations of arrogance, stubbornness and lack of professionalism that are present in the last couple of pages here are coming from. Without knowing you in the slightest: why is he telling you this? I can't imagine getting into a bit of a chat with Gary Pert, Brian Cook or Stuart Fox and having one of them tell me that they were livid with their respective presidents and boards for not taking their advice. If he's that pissed off and the board isn't listening to him, the simple solution would be to resign. You can't operate effectively as a CEO in such an environment. Great post. A lot of people point at Munn and JVS and say they are don't have enough support etc to do their job properly (or didn't in the past). Well if that was the case they either should have made such a stink about it they got sacked or changes were made or resign if they are more concerned about their career than anything else. Instead JVS leaves for "family reasons" and then comes back at the soonest opportunity. @SF33: It was not unknown for Scott Munn to catch up with senior YS members and have a drink and a chat late after a game at the imp. He told me because I asked him and I definitely wouldn't be saying it on the forum, but for the fact that people are calling for his head for not getting rid off JA and JVS earlier.

In the case of JAs appointment the board were heavily involved in the interview process and ultimately it was a board decision (Sidwell's) to appoint JA.

@Alexxandro: Tesla has pointed at that Munn, since having increased resources, has improved every part of the club except the football department. Which given the evidence I do not think he has much control over. Everyone knows that the next manager who is appointed is going to be chosen by city/city's representitives on our board not Munn. As for the playing squad Munn would not have much of a say in that at all.

As for JVS I do not want him at the club and have called for his head for some time. So I am not trying to argue he needs time to prove himself. Munn on the other hand quite possibly has proven that with increased resources that he can do better as Tesla has pointed out.

Still feel that it's completely outrageous for him to be airing that sort of dirty laundry, personally. Even if it was true. And if the board going over his head with decisions like that is par for the course, he should have walked.

Seems to me that people are using the 'good bloke' explanation to defend him. That worked wonders for Mifsud and continues to work wonders for the likes of Redmayne.

Good gig he's got. Not responsible for any of the major decisions that have blown up in the club's face. Not his fault that there is a complete lack of transparency at the club for anything besides overwhelmingly positive news. Not his fault that this club has been by far the worst in the competition over the past three seasons. Not his fault that if the above is to be believed, the football department runs its own race and he has no control over what it does. Not his fault that he gets into juvenile Twitter wars with celebrity supporters of rival clubs that any other self-respecting CEO wouldn't touch with a 10m pole. Not his fault that existing and new members were misled about the availability of David Villa for the first half of the season and that a club statement didn't come out until after the press was all over it (and, not his fault that we still don't know whether Villa's playing any more games in Melbourne, so naturally, we just give up on the idea). And he still gets a CEO salary and gets to put 'Chief Executive Officer' of a major professional sporting club next to his LinkedIn profile. It's a joke.

I don't want him gone because of JVS and JA. I want him gone because this is my third year as a member, the club continues to be a rabble and there hasn't been a single instance that I can think of, where I've thought: 'Geez, that Scott Munn's running a tight ship. We're lucky to have him.' But, there's been a number of times where I've thought 'What a complete and utter muppet.' That's just me though.

imagine the shareholders of the Commonwealth bank if told: The CEO is doing a good job, except our banking stuff!

LOL

If any of the above is true, we REALLY need an actual CEO to come in and understand how to create a organisation like this one, with a core business being Football.

Sounds like rubbish is being spouted, or the CEO and Board and probably half the staff need to go. It sounds like its not a fluke we are failing, the whole organisation is arse about.

If the CEO isnt ultimately responsible for those working under him at the club - he aint a CEO!

In this industry, his #1 target must always be on-field success thus the right blend and responsibilities in the football department with clearly defined communication channels. Everything else flows from that.