Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

Isn't the concerning bit that you have two fixture requests, and we made ours, but only got one of them?

Begs the question as to whether we should have requested a non-GP clash as opposed to a home first round.

How hard must it (not) be for FFA to schedule away games for both Melbourne teams during Grand Prix week. It wouldn't be a problem for the Sydney teams of the Grand Prix were in Sydney

It's not even that, it's having us play 5pm Sunday, the exact time the race starts. Friday or Saturday night game at home would be fine. May even attract a few hundred more people in town for the race weekend.

Stupidity on behalf of the FFA.

The other thing is on that Saturday the two matches are on 7:30pm (SFC Vs BNE) and 9:45pm (PTH Vs WEL), they could've effectively had us playing on Saturday at 5:00pm and make it "triple header" Saturday! That would then leave Sunday open for people to attend or watch the Australian F1 GP!

I'm sure people would rather miss the F1 qualifying as opposed to the actual race! We may have even had some travelling F1 fans come to our game on the Saturday!

Edited by Red or Dead

Isn't the concerning bit that you have two fixture requests, and we made ours, but only got one of them?

Begs the question as to whether we should have requested a non-GP clash as opposed to a home first round.

How hard must it (not) be for FFA to schedule away games for both Melbourne teams during Grand Prix week. It wouldn't be a problem for the Sydney teams of the Grand Prix were in Sydney

It's not even that, it's having us play 5pm Sunday, the exact time the race starts. Friday or Saturday night game at home would be fine. May even attract a few hundred more people in town for the race weekend.

Stupidity on behalf of the FFA.

We aren't in Sydney so it isn't an important market for FFA. 

No club - even Sydney and WSW - should have to ask FFA to avoid scheduling a match when there's a conflicting major event. That should be one of the criteria applied to the fixture as a whole. Every season.

Further, established glamour blockbuster matches, such as the Christmas Derby, should be permanently on the fixture.

Requests should be positives, not avoiding negatives or not losing something that's already proven a success for all parties.

Nail. Head.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone ... here is the FRG's newsletter following the recent meeting with the club (please note, after some back and forward, it was determined this article would be released via the forum, rather than through the club - future protocols in this regard are still to be determined)

MCFC Fan Representative Group Update – September 2014

!Hola! (with a nod to David Villa) from the MCFC FRG for the upcoming 14/15 A-League Season!

The group met on Monday night (23/9/14) to discuss the upcoming season, the family day and other general matters that are on the minds and in the thoughts of our impressively growing support base.  With membership numbers now exceeding 8000, it should be put on record that this a brilliant result and a genuine demonstration of the excitement building around Melbourne City, the A-League and the game in general.

Firstly, at our meeting, there was some talk about the family day.  A great success, particularly for kids, and the supporters who attended were very grateful for the opportunity to speak with the players and club officials in a free and casual manner.  With plenty of blue on show, some were disappointed that the official red & white away strip was not available on the day, but nevertheless, the home strip and other merchandise seemed to be selling like hotcakes.  

On the colours, apart from the logo, it was tabled that at both the Ballarat game and on family day, players and staff were predominantly wearing sky blue, and hardly any red, with the club setup seeming a little like Sydney.  Can we have more harmony between the old and new colours, eg. a choice of blue or red & white facepaint/balloons at games/events (not just blue)?  Can the “Victory” navy blue stripe on the home shirt/membership card be red instead next season?

The FRG would love the club to give the supporters / members a chance to have a say on this.

In any event, there was still plenty of red and white on display from supporters, which will no doubt continue to be a feature in the stands on match day this season.  

With regard to match day, supporters will soon become acquainted with the new active supporter group, the Melburnians.  They have big shoes to fill, with Yarraside no more, but the FRG is sure the Melburnians will quickly develop into an integral part of the match day experience.  A senior member of the Melburnians is on the FRG and he has indicated that he is hopefully that everyone in the stadium will join in with them singing So Happy Together, as well as other possible whole-of-crowd chants & songs, during the season.

With the other matchday songs (walkout, goal, etc) the club is working towards locking in some options, and the FRG understands that supporters will be given a chance to be part of the discussion in the coming days.  

At our first ever home game the large home kit that supporters signed on family day will be unveiled by the club and will hung from the stadium rafters throughout the season.

The FRG is hopeful that our inaugural home game will be a celebration of our club (we have suggested an Etihad jet flyover!), whereby those who have been here in the past, and all our new supporters, can come together and start on a journey towards ongoing success that is built on respecting the game and playing attractive, exciting and winning football, whilst bringing families, friends and people together for love of the game.

The FRG also acknowledges that our away attendance for round 1 in Sydney will possibly set a club record, and that the Melbourne City FC should celebrate this, and assist supporters by putting things in place to enable fans to come together across the border, where hopefully we will get a win.

See you all in the stands!  Our next meeting will be soon after our first home game and the club will canvass the membership base in the lead up to the meeting seeking questions and topics of interest for the FRG to discuss.

The Melbourne City FC FRG.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

All good points brought up. Will be interesting to see if the change of navy blue stripe to red will eventuate. I am unsure whether commercial jet liners are allowed to fly so close to the city. I particularly like the signed huge club jersey being hung for every home game gives us something unique that no other club has.

All good points brought up. Will be interesting to see if the change of navy blue stripe to red will eventuate. I am unsure whether commercial jet liners are allowed to fly so close to the city. I particularly like the signed huge club jersey being hung for every home game gives us something unique that no other club has.

Considering MCFC completely ignored the #KeepMelbourneRedAndWhite Campaign and in doing so were rewarded by receiving not only a boost to Membership Figures but also no real significant fallout from the campaigners themselves...

I highly doubt they will start listen to "Colour Suggestions" fan the fans now.

• Like 4

Considering MCFC completely ignored the #KeepMelbourneRedAndWhite Campaign and in doing so were rewarded by receiving not only a boost to Membership Figures but also no real significant fallout from the campaigners themselves...

Haha. That was my first thought. Pretty cheeky to say they will start asking fans what colors they want to use now

Haha. That was my first thought. Pretty cheeky to say they will start asking fans what colors they want to use now

I wouldn't think of it as CFG taking suggestions from supporters, instead as a way they could sneak more sky blue onto the kit. Appease the fans by replacing the navy with red, but bring more sky blue in through the back door. They'll be so happy with the red being introduced, they won't give a shit.

I wouldn't think of it as CFG taking suggestions from supporters, instead as a way they could sneak more sky blue onto the kit. Appease the fans by replacing the navy with red, but bring more sky blue in through the back door. They'll be so happy with the red being introduced, they won't give a shit.

They only significant home kit colour changes that we will ever see from here on would be:

1. More Sky Blue

2. More Sky Blue

3. And maybe some more Sky Blue. 

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

They only significant home kit colour changes that we will ever see from here on would be:

1. More Sky Blue

2. More Sky Blue

I'm well aware of this.

But please don't shatter my unrealistic dream of there ever being a slither of red on our home kit.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 1

1. More Sky Blue

2. More Sky Blue

I'm well aware of this.

But please don't shatter my unrealistic dream of there ever being a slither of red on our home kit.

1. Denial and Isolation

2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance
Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

Echo the thanks to TA and other members of the FRG for their work and the updates.

While there is dialogue all is not lost on the colours issue; we may have lost the first battle but that's not the end of the war. The more the issue is raised the more the club will understand where we are coming from. For quite a long time (1951-1972 and 1974-1987) Manchester City did not have any dark blue in their kit (and the actual shade of sky blue has changed as well over the years) (http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_City/Manchester_City.htm) so these things are not set in concrete. There's no reason why we could not have a thin red stripe next to the blue stripe on our home kit, or on the socks or even down the side of our white shorts.

I have no doubt that as more supporters come on board with City that white and sky blue will become more prominent in the stands. But perhaps there are enough of us in red and white to keep those colours going for a long time to come. It might even become something of a tradition for the club's supporters as Peter suggests. - traditions have to start somewhere.

The way I look at this whole situation we are now in, being a foundation member.... I miss the Red to be honest but we can't forget how we finished the season last year and how we basically under achieved from day one... If the CFG didn't come in, I would hate to think where our club would be this season...

The Heart is part of our history forever however we need to embrace the future ....and if that means our colours have changed a little then so be it...

Teams all around the world change there colours .. Real Madrid has White, black, dark Green, Pink and orange

Onwards and upwards I say...

I am still hoping the red and white will remain the supporters colours.

P.s. Thanks again TA for the work and updates.

Indeed.  Also the big question is how long will CFG hang around for?  To me this Melbourne City takeover is a crazy experiment in some bizarre marketing campaign and they could easily give up after a few years and direct management attention elsewhere.  Hopefully they will upgrade our training facilities before that happens.

If they do bail, I'm certain the sky blue will leave with them.

The CFG group have a history in buying companies that are generally in bad shape and then turning them into multi million dollar brands... Mark my words Melbourne City FC will be the flag ship club for the CFG in Asia ... I also believe they have a 10yr license from FFA... and Etihad airways signed on for 5yrs...

I don't think they are looking at moving on anytime soon !!

The CFG group have a history in buying companies that are generally in bad shape and then turning them into multi million dollar brands... Mark my words Melbourne City FC will be the flag ship club for the CFG in Asia ... I also believe they have a 10yr license from FFA... and Etihad airways signed on for 5yrs...

I don't think they are looking at moving on anytime soon !!

Agree. The money put into us is peanuts compared to ManC and NYC FC so they can afford to hang around for a while. The question is what value will they drive from us? It's early days but if CFG money gets us training facilities, etc it'll set us up well into the future - beyond having to think about whether CFG is going to hang around or not.

Whatever CFG's real intentions were in buying us, I can't see them giving up quickly. It's going to be a challenge, but so far the signs are positive. We need results though to truly grow our market position though.

in saying all that, there are some interesting moves that are made in football. Red Bull's NY side is an example of a very confusing decision, with over $200 million spent on a stadium, big investment in a squad including players like Henry and Cahill, with reports that it is now looking to sell a few years in. The most interesting thing I read is that the Red Bull owner has actually reportedly never attended a match at the club.

Lets hope that we get a visit from some of the CFG hierarchy this year to show further confidence in their commitment to us :)

Indeed.  Also the big question is how long will CFG hang around for?  To me this Melbourne City takeover is a crazy experiment in some bizarre marketing campaign and they could easily give up after a few years and direct management attention elsewhere.  Hopefully they will upgrade our training facilities before that happens.

People have been saying that in relation to City since we were took over in 2008

Six years later we are still growing and far from the finished article

CFG are in it for the long term not the short term.....so I wouldn't be too concerned about when they will leave

Wrong thread to be talking about this but I'd say their intentions is to make money of us. We were running at break even which was quite a feet considering the on field. With their expertise, easy to make us generate a profit.

Plus, they will have the best chance of securing young talent and they would only need to find one superstar that they can sell to get their initial investment back. Tell a young kid, come play for city, you will have the best coaches, training facilities and the opportunity that Manchester city can only deliver, pretty hard to resist.

Plus, they will have the best chance of securing young talent and they would only need to find one superstar that they can sell to get their initial investment back. Tell a young kid, come play for city, you will have the best coaches, training facilities and the opportunity that Manchester city can only deliver, pretty hard to resist.

Finding talent is way down the order of why they bought Melbourne Heart.  It's all about the shirt sales.

This makes no sense whatsoever...

Why would a new owner change the colours back to Red and White if the CFG left???  :wacko:

1. By this time the club would have almost def worn Sky Blue for as long as it wore Red and White maybe longer (Probably achieved more in Sky Blue as well).

2. Then there is the fact that as crap as it is the Sky Blue has already proven itself more successful than the Red and White.

3. The vast majority of the supporters who threatened to stop supporting the club if the colours changed have remained as supporters so there would be next to no disaffected supporter base to regain by changing the colours again.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I believe this is a long term project for the cfg. Melbourne itself is sport mad, even though our numbers (members) are appalling compared to bigger market clubs in Melbourne such as Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, and so on. I believe there is potential to make Melbourne City a big club in Melbourne/ Australia and Asia. However this will only be achieved once we start getting results on the pitch and keep bringing in quality Imports that people want to see. If they can grow this club to 25k members plus (which i believe is achievable) then they will be profiting from this license. Also there is also the sharing of resources and squad positions between all three clubs. 

Finding talent is way down the order of why they bought Melbourne Heart.  It's all about the shirt sales.

Yeah, that's it.....

So what's the best way to sell shirts? I know, bring in some great players so supporters want to buy their shirts...

....and what does bringing great players in do?  Makes it a better team (hopefully).

....and what does a better team do?  Makes existing supporters happier. Brings in new supporters and makes the club a more desirable option for new players to want to come to.

....and what does that do? Makes the club a powerhouse and makes more people want to buy their shirts... and the cycle goes on...

So for me, in the end - who gives a f**k what their intentions are if their involvement improves on every aspect of my experience as member of this club - especially watching them play better football.

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic