Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

What is the point to this group?

All the last meeting achieved was for some well worded lip service from a City Group Rep to be repeated on here and then used by those being already and obviously very unrealistic about the Colour Change Situation to further convince themselves the inevitable was not going to occur.

Hardly an exercise of strong fan engagement in my book.

• Like 2

All the last meeting achieved was for some well worded lip service from a City Group Rep to be repeated on here and then used by those being already and obviously very unrealistic about the Colour Change Situation to further convince themselves the inevitable was not going to occur.

Perhaps those sentiments can be raised and the question asked what's going to be done to improve supporter engagement

The point of the group is a good question and one that needs to be resolved, as the group was obviously formed under the previous Melbourne Heart arrangements, and now things have clearly changed.

I am sure that this is something that will be discussed.

Can we get rid of all in-game music? Music for when the players walk out and during warm up is fine, but all else needs to be ditched.

Agreed! This is not the nbl

shit, you want to go to Melbourne Rebels, match, any stop in play, the ball goes out of bounds and they play music, sheesh I can think for my self when somethings not happening on the pitch

As for ground announcers , lucky that Heart didn't have the same guy the Rebels had

" now is the   time to cheer!"

and the pre recorded rebel chant that would be played through the pa, to ad "atmosphere"

As I recall it Simon Pearce simply told the FRG what CFG intended to do (change things) and how they intended to do it (as gently as they thought possible).

From that everyone had their own idea what it meant.

• Like 1

TBH this fan representative group doesn't really make sense to me. It would make sense if there was a bunch of different groups of fans, eg a couple of groups of active fans, a group of people sitting on the other end, a group of fans in Ace of hearts (or w/e its called), etc. and each member of the Representative group was actually representing their sub-group of fans (which would involve consulting with them pre-meeting to discuss what issues and positions will be presented). But the fan base isn't segmented like that.

I don't mean any disrespect to the people in the group, Tom Asunder does a good job of coming on here and gauging opinions of the wider fan base for example, and they may all very well be good representatives of the fan base, but I just don't really see how it's any better to an alternative such as having regular fan forums (at least 4 during the season + some in the off season). I understand a fan forum requires much more resources to set up and the club would be dealing with a larger number of fans which is a challenge and will restrict discussion and outcomes a bit, but it's a far better way to engage the fans.

Regardless of the future of this group, I think regular fan forums would be a good initiative, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Edited by Tesla

My view is that the FRG really acts as a sounding board / focus group for the club to tap into and have dialogue with, that represents a snapshot of different supporter types, and reports back through the club to other supporters.

To be fair, this website forum is probably the most represented 'group' at the FRG meetings, through my efforts to make sure that the general matters discussed on this website are tabled where possible for discussion.

This season there will also be Melburnian representation, which should give the group some more teeth and provide opportunities to better connect Active Support with other supporter classes.

It is true that it is a difficult to come up with a way to engage all supporters in a meaningful way.

The fan forums are, IMO, good value. The issue is that they can be talkfests, with very little actual outcomes, follow up, continuity or even accountability.

That being said, i think it would be good for the club to consider holding fan forums, as well as continuing with the FRG, and this is one of the points i have already raised for discussion at Thursday's meeting.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the Fan Forum. It really feels like a community event when you get together with fellow members/supporters. The two that I've been to generated some pretty useful conversation and you get to hear other points of view which can only be a good thing. The trick to running these events is to have an agenda and someone who can keep the forum on track.

My view is that the FRG really acts as a sounding board / focus group for the club to tap into and have dialogue with, that represents a snapshot of different supporter types, and reports back through the club to other supporters.

That certainly makes more sense.

To be fair, this website forum is probably the most represented 'group' at the FRG meetings, through my efforts to make sure that the general matters discussed on this website are tabled where possible for discussion.

Are other members of the FRG on this forum? (apart from the new Melburnians additions)

That certainly makes more sense.

Are other members of the FRG on this forum? (apart from the new Melburnians additions)

I don't believe so, certainly not regular posters 

This season there will also be Melburnian representation, which should give the group some more teeth and provide opportunities to better connect Active Support with other supporter classes.

It is true that it is a difficult to come up with a way to engage all supporters in a meaningful way.

The fan forums are, IMO, good value. The issue is that they can be talkfests, with very little actual outcomes, follow up, continuity or even accountability.

That being said, i think it would be good for the club to consider holding fan forums, as well as continuing with the FRG, and this is one of the points i have already raised for discussion at Thursday's meeting.

Pretty much spot on. Through the posters on this forum and the efforts of TA I'd have said that the club gets a good idea of the issues that concern City supporters. And without setting up various formal structures, which is a drag for all concerned in various ways, the FRG probably just as good as any other "forum" for getting issues to the club's attention. At the present time it's just about the only conduit open to the club, and even though it might be imperfect  IMO we should support it and try to use it as best we can.

"Fan Forums" are fine, and I'm not opposed to them, but attendance at them is very dependent on when and when they are held, and without very careful management they degenerate into a small number of individuals pushing their own barrows on certain subjects.

IMO I'd also like to see the club make much more use of direct contact with members via telephone calls and surveys on specific issues that come up via the FRG and Forums. That way all members have the opportunity to respond, if they want to. It's not impossible for the Fan Engagement guy to call at least one member a day and ask a range of questions. Surveys also don't have to be over-designed; they can cover just one or two subjects at a time - but they do need to be properly designed and allow answers such as "None of the above" and a space for something like "Is there anything else you would like to raise with the club?"

Over the existence of Heart and now City I've seen many very worthwhile ideas posted on this forum about "memberships" and other issues associated with the club's activities. If the club really wants our opinions on various matters there is no shortage of ideas, and IMO it's up to the club to tap into those ideas using ways that get as wide a response as possible. The club holds all the keys to the communication cupboard; as an individual season-ticket holder my options are very limited.

All I hope is that its made clear that to have no merch before the first FFA match is going to look pretty bad as there is nothing to show our support besides Melburnians scarves perhaps.

What's wrong with Heart scarfs, tops etc?

There is nothing wrong with wearing that. But to only have Heart stuff and no city stuff available would be a bad look for our first competitive match.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic