Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy set to smash Australian transfer record with European clubs preparing multi-million dollar bids

37 minutes ago

David DavutovicHerald Sun

AARON Mooy looks set to smash the Australian transfer record, with Euro clubs preparing unprecedented multi-million dollar bids for the Melbourne City superstar.

The Herald Sun understands that bidding for the midfielder could top $4m, with Mooy’s A-League and Socceroos form gaining global attention.

English Premier League and Championship, Spanish, German, French, Dutch, Belgian and Scandinavian clubs have scouted Mooy in recent months and many will watch him face England in Sunderland on May 27 before launching bids.

Belgian giants Club Brugge are favourites for his services and view Mooy, who turns 26 in September, as a player with on-sell value but several more could submit bids by June.

Saudis Al-Nassr, who bid $2m for Mooy in January, are prepared to pay $4m but the playmaker wants to move to Europe.

City refused to comment ahead of Friday’s semi-final away to Adelaide United, while Mooy’s agent Paddy Dominguez was tight-lipped.

Belgian giants Club Brugge are favourites for his services and view Mooy, who turns 26 in September, as a player with on-sell value but several more could submit bids by June.

Saudis Al-Nassr, who bid $2m for Mooy in January, are prepared to pay $4m but the playmaker wants to move to Europe.

City refused to comment ahead of Friday’s semi-final away to Adelaide United, while Mooy’s agent Paddy Dominguez was tight-lipped.

Mooy has blitzed this season, scoring 11 goals and assisting a record 20 times.

Mooy, speaking after the Perth win, was focused on Friday’s sudden-death clash at Cooper’s Stadium and is confident of securing a grand final berth.

“We’ve already beaten them so definitely. If we play at our best we can beat anybody,’’ Mooy said.

“Last year we got into the semis, that was a disappointing game. There’s a few of us that were there, it’s another chance for us. It’s a massive game.

“I’ll take anyone in the grand final. It’s Adelaide now, that’s the main focus, the next big step.

“They (Adelaide) were on top of us (two weeks ago) like we were on top of Perth on Sunday. If you do the dirty side of the game first then you have a much bigger chance of winning.

“Recovery has been the focus and soon we’ll start talking about Adelaide and what to do.

“The last two weeks weren’t good enough and against Glory we showed this is what we can do and that’s what we want to do for the rest of the season.’’

I reckon Mooy would do very well at a big club in a mid-tier European league, such as Club Brugge in Belgium, Ajax in Holland or even Celtic in Scotland. Getting regular time for a successful club at domestic league level, as well as playing often in a European competition (whether the Champions League or Europa) would be a sure way for Mooy to keep developing IMO.

Another option is Mooy going to a club in the "Big Four" leagues (EPL, La Liga, Bungesliga, Serie A), and probably joining a smaller club in one of these bigger leagues (such as a smaller EPL side. Watford? Swansea?). This I think is Mooy's ambition, and while it could work if he goes to the right club, gets a good amount of game time and the club doesn't struggle, I reckon it's also significantly more risky than just going to a respectable club in the Netherlands or Belgium (for example).

Also it should be noted that the substantial upside of Mooy going for at least $4 million is that the club and CFG would absolutely have to bring in a top class player to replace Mooy, and would have no excuses not to. For example, Drogba went to MLS side Montreal for $3 million and Pirlo went to NYCFC for $3.5 million. Given the bums-on-seats value of a star marquee, and that Mooy would get to pursue his European dream, as disappointing as it would be to see Mooy go it could be a win-win for everybody.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Don't know how possible it is to get a foreign marquee player that is under 27. I think we are very lucky to have Bruno who is still under 30.

I just don't believe players that young who can demand a marquee wage, would come down here. So it's best to try and get someone of Novillo's age and calibre under the cap and use the marquee coin for someone who has done the yards (but not over 34 either)...

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Don't know how possible it is to get a foreign marquee player that is under 27. I think we are very lucky to have Bruno who is still under 30.

I just don't believe players that young who can demand a marquee wage, would come down here. So it's best to try and get someone of Novillo's age and calibre under the cap and use the marquee coin for someone who has done the yards (but not over 34 either)...

Agree.

The problem though once you start looking at 30+ players it's more risky in regards to injury and ability to cope with conditions. 

So if Mooy goes and Bruno takes a marquee spot the other must go to either a quality box to box mid or a bona-fide #10. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rass said:

I would suggest that under the "global superstar" label that FFA is using it is impossible to get any marquee player whatsoever. IMO it's an absurd label. It means that the only possibilities that you could consider will be complete geriatrics. The players we need are "...the big player who will become the big name..." as per Txiki Begiristain's original comments. Such as Bruno.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would suggest that under the "global superstar" label that FFA is using it is impossible to get any marquee player whatsoever. IMO it's an absurd label. It means that the only possibilities that you could consider will be complete geriatrics. The players we need are "...the big player who will become the big name..." as per Txiki Begiristain's original comments. Such as Bruno.

I'm still crossing all my fingers and toes for Danny De Rossi. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I thought that label only applied to Guest Players and not Marquee Players?

22 minutes ago, malloy said:

I thought that label only applied to Guest Players and not Marquee Players?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-15/fornaroli-future-up-to-melbourne-city-not-ffa/7329816

Quote:

A-League chief Damien de Bohun said the multi-million dollar pot was for attracting new players with the biggest of names only.

"Bruno has been unbelievable, fantastic for the A-League this year," he said.

"He's a player we absolutely want to keep in the league and I'm sure Melbourne City do too. But the marquee fund is for global superstars."

Sick of ''name'' players of a certain age.  Frankly, Hughes has been a waste of squad space.  Sorry.

And Villa put me in mind of that Far Eastern player who joined Arsenal briefly and unsuccessfully about 10 years ago and was immediately nicknamed ''Tshirt'' - he was a merchandise machine only.

Good luck to Aaron.  He deserves his shot  - but he also deserves better than sitting on the bench at Celtic Park as per Rogic. Dinnae go tae Scotland, pal....it's a useless league. (Writing as someone who this time a decade ago was working in an office 1km from Ibrox where the SPL was part of the job)

Edited by CityWildcat

49 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Sick of ''name'' players of a certain age.  Frankly, Hughes has been a waste of squad space.  Sorry.

And Villa put me in mind of that Far Eastern player who joined Arsenal briefly and unsuccessfully about 10 years ago and was immediately nicknamed ''Tshirt'' - he was a merchandise machine only.

Good luck to Aaron.  He deserves his shot  - but he also deserves better than sitting on the bench at Celtic Park as per Rogic. Dinnae go tae Scotland, pal....it's a useless league. (Writing as someone who this time a decade ago was working in an office 1km from Ibrox where the SPL was part of the job)

Mooy already started for an SPL outfit in St Mirren before heading back home so I am sure he wont be heading back there... 

Thanks for the reminder.....guess I was discounting that as he was ever only likely to be tempted by the Old Firm up there.

St Mirren  isn't actually a town.  The club is named after the patron saint (ha!) of the shitehole of Paisley, west of Glasgow, site of Glasgow Airport..

1 minute ago, CityWildcat said:

Thanks for the reminder.....guess I was discounting that as he was ever only likely to be tempted by the Old Firm up there.

St Mirren  isn't actually a town.  The club is named after the patron saint (ha!) of the shitehole of Paisley, west of Glasgow, site of Glasgow Airport..

Mooy best is better than the Old Firm...

Obviously its hurts me to say that (see my username) but the shit I saw on Sunday night was nothing like any other OF Game I have seen ever before... the defending made the Lennon Era Defenders look good and the Pre O'Neil Era Defenders (Which Celtic Fans used to always complain about) look like the greatest Defenders to ever play the game.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-15/fornaroli-future-up-to-melbourne-city-not-ffa/7329816

Quote:

A-League chief Damien de Bohun said the multi-million dollar pot was for attracting new players with the biggest of names only.

"Bruno has been unbelievable, fantastic for the A-League this year," he said.

"He's a player we absolutely want to keep in the league and I'm sure Melbourne City do too. But the marquee fund is for global superstars."

Apologies I interpreted your initial post as being that if the potential marquee was not a global superstar they could not be signed (and immediately thought of Phoenix or Perth being knocked back for trying to use aguest spot on a non big name player) as oposed to the team being able to sign any player as a marquee, but not necessarily receiving FFA marquee funds to assist.

Edited by malloy

21 minutes ago, Deeming said:

https://audioboom.com/boos/4482114-who-stays-and-who-goes-at-melbourne-city

very interesting response from George Donikian.

Mooy to stay but 'others' (Bruno and Harry? My guess) to go

Deeming I can't see Bruno going unless he wants to. I am sure the club will have made him a very good offer. Very good news if true that Mooy is staying. I think Harry is on his way though. Which is a pity.

3 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Deeming I can't see Bruno going unless he wants to. I am sure the club will have made him a very good offer. Very good news if true that Mooy is staying. I think Harry is on his way though. Which is a pity.

I agree its 100% Bruno's choice but all season everyone's said Mooy's too good and he will definitely go. Bruno is as good as Mooy (arguably better) but barely anyone has raised the risk of him leaving. 

At the end of the season I thought he was 80-90% staying, then there was his vague (mistranslated?) Tweet that seemed to suggest he was saying goodbye. Plus Donikian suggesting plural 'others' will go. Really Bruno and Harry are the only two you'd mention in the same breath as Mooy. I really hope I am wrong though.

3 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I agree its 100% Bruno's choice but all season everyone's said Mooy's too good and he will definitely go. Bruno is as good as Mooy (arguably better) but barely anyone has raised the risk of him leaving. 

At the end of the season I thought he was 80-90% staying, then there was his vague (mistranslated?) Tweet that seemed to suggest he was saying goodbye. Plus Donikian suggesting plural 'others' will go. Really Bruno and Harry are the only two you'd mention in the same breath as Mooy. I really hope I am wrong though.

I am sure the club will want Bruno has the face of Melbourne next season. It won't be for the want of trying if he decides to go. However, I am more confident of Bruno staying than Aaron. As for Harry, I would like to see him stay, but there seems to be too much going on off the field for that to happen.

54 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Donikian also said in that clip we made the finals last season because of the Perth stuff up. 

That's incorrect, so not sure how much weight you can put on what he says.

4 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

Don't blame mooy one bit for looking like he will kill cunts once Castro hit the front. Should never been in the top 5 for playing half a season, mooy, fornaroli, mclaren and Nichols much better over the season. Joke and pretty pissed off.

Don't worry. These awards are a farce really. Deliberately spread around the players and clubs. Tuna should have taken the Goal of the Year with his bicycle kick.

• Like 3