Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Interesting interview from Mooy after another standout Socceroos performance:

Aaron Mooy happy Melbourne City can win without his services

Clement Tito

March 30, 2016

Melbourne City and Socceroo star Aaron Mooy says he’s proud of the versatility shown at his club after City defeated Wellington Phoenix 3-0 while the 25-year-old was on international duty.

City got a comfortable win at home courtesy of their consistent performers Harry Novillo and Bruno Fornaroli, with the win dismissing any remaining belief that the Melbourne club is reliant on Mooy alone.

Mooy said he pulled up well from the Socceroos’ 5-1 mauling over Jordan in Sydney and will be ready to take the field when City travel to Perth on Sunday.

“It makes me very happy that City won, it’s what we needed. We need to win our games from now on pretty much, if we want to get silverware, that’s the aim,” Mooy said.

“I watched the second half, because we had dinner, so I couldn’t get the full game, but I watched the second half and they played really well, I’m very happy, good to get back.”

Mooy played two stellar games for the Socceroos and many have tipped the in-form man to be off to bigger and better things next season.

Strangely enough, the City man says although he does want to go back to Europe, he isn’t sure if it would be as soon as next season.

“Yes, I’ve been saying it for two years now (on going back to Europe), I keep saying the same thing. Every player should want to push themselves as high as they can, I’m no different,” he said.

“Every player takes confidence when they’re playing well for their club team, it helps you when you get selected for the national team.

“It’s good to go into camp feeling confident and I’m feeling confident and happy.

“I’ve got to finish off the season as best as I can and the team can, I’ll see what happens after.”

Despite coach Ange Postecoglou picking Mooy regularly for the Socceroos in recent times, Mooy said he wasn’t getting used to it.

“Ange doesn’t make me think like that, he makes you take every game like it’s your last, so it’s not that mentality,” he said.

“It’s the reasons why the team’s doing well, everyone’s playing like it’s their last game for their country and its working and it’s great to be involved.

“If you’re not doing what he wants then I don’t think you’ll be there long.”

http://outside90.com/aaron-mooy-happy-melbourne-city-can-win-without-his-services-303/

Was curious to see how many Socceroos have come through this club. That is not former Socceroos, but players who went on to get selected for the Socceroos during or after their time at Melbourne Heart/City. It turns out with the last Socceroos game Mooy became our club's most capped National Team player:

* Michael Marrone - 1 cap [first player from the club called up to the Socceroos, while still a club player, and made the bench for the WCQ against Saudi Arabia in Feb 2012. Played against Guam in Dec 2012]

* Curtis Good - 1 cap [selected by Postecoglou in Mar 2014 to play against Ecuador]

* Eli Babalj - 2 caps [debuted against Korea in Nov 2012. Played against scored 2 goals against Guam in Dec 2012]

* Craig Goodwin - 2 caps [both in July 2013 after his first season at the Jets]

* Aziz Behich - 12 caps [debuted against Korea in Nov 2012 while still a club player. Played and scored 2 goals against Chinese Taipei in Dec 2012. Last played in the win against Kyrgyzstan in June 2015, and made the bench in WCQs in Sept 2015] 

* Aaron Mooy - 13 caps [3 caps before joining Melbourne City, and 10 caps since. First appearance while at the club a cameo substitution against Japan in Nov 2014, overlooked for the Asian Cup, then Mooy played friendlies against Macedonia and Germany in March 2015 and has of course become a Socceroos regular in WCQs since the 5-0 win against Bangladesh in Sept 2015 when he scored that cracking goal]

Also 3 other internationals (not former internationals) have been at the club: Michael Mifsud (played for Malta while at the club), Iain Ramsay (has played for the Phillipines since leaving the club) and Aaron Hughes (who actually played 2 games for Northern Ireland 10 days ago and 7 days ago [53 mins total playing time]).

It will be interesting to see who are next Melbourne City players that go on to become Socceroos, and if the club signs up any another current internationals then what countries they play for.

Edited by Murfy1

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Also 3 other internationals (not former internationals) have been at the club: Michael Mifsud (played for Malta while at the club), Iain Ramsay (has played for the Phillipines since leaving the club) and Aaron Hughes (who actually played 2 games for Northern Ireland 10 days ago and 7 days ago [53 mins total playing time]).

Also, Murph, you have Harry Noviilo being a current player for Martinique. I know he hasn't played a game for them since he started with us, but his latest appearance was only a couple of months before he joined us last year.

• Like 1

Good points with Novillo and Wilkinson. It would be interesting to see what Novillo would do if there was a club vs country clash between Melbourne City and Martinque, whether he'd play with City or whether he'd miss matches for Martinque, which isn't acknowledged by FIFA I believe.

It would be great to see Wilkinson getting minutes under Ange while he's a City player, but still given he's had so many caps I'd call him a current Socceroo.

So all up, Melbourne City have had 4 current Socceroos (Marrone, Behich, Mooy and Wilkinson) and have had 3 players who went on to be Socceroos (Goodwin, Good, Babalj).

I get the sense we'll see some other Melbourne City Socceroos soon enough as well. If Franjic and Zullo can stay fit I can see them being in the mix in the future. Same with Chapman. Also if Mauk goes to Europe I can see him getting a call up.

Edited by Murfy1

Melbourne City’s Aaron Mooy a target for Belgian champions Club Brugge

4 April, 2016

Tom Smithies

MELBOURNE City’s resolve to keep hold of the player dubbed the best in the A-League could be tested again with Belgian champions Club Brugge understood to be interested in signing Aaron Mooy.

It’s believed Brugges scouted Mooy in the two World Cup qualifiers the Socceroos played last month, and are weighing up an attempt to sign their third Australian international in three years.

Mooy has been in scintillating form for club and country all season, and City have already rejected a bid of around $2m from a Saudi Arabian club, having made Mooy one of their marquees in a bid to head off overseas interest.

But Brugge’s links with Australian football, which go back to Frank Farina and Paul Okon signing for them 25 years ago, are well established and saw them secure both Mathew Ryan in 2013 and Bernie Ibini last year.

Now the question will be whether Brugge are willing to offer a big enough sum that even the cashed-up City group will be inclined to agree to a transfer.

The move would not be until the end of the season, but Brugge are said to be weighing up making a bid now, given the expected list of suitors for Mooy at the end of the season, particularly from high-spending Asian clubs.

The midfielder, who was described by Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou as the A-League’s finest, has become a key member of the national team in the past year and a half.

Mooy joined English side Bolton and then Scottish team St Mirren as a teenager before returning to be a foundation player at Western Sydney.

But he has come into his own as the creative force behind Melbourne City’s title campaign this season, and has made clear that he harbours ambitions to play at a higher level.

“Every player should want to push themselves as far as they can and I’m no different,” Mooy said a fortnight ago while in camp with the Socceroos.

“If there’s an opportunity that comes up and suits me, we’ll see. You have to wait and see what the options are at the end of the season.

“I want to play in the top leagues but we’ll see what comes in at the end of the season and see what happens.”

Already reigning champions, Brugge finished the regular season in Belgium on top of the table and won their opening playoff.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-aaron-mooy-a-target-for-belgian-champions-club-brugge/news-story/81d19a9f647b7ac1af0a53c4860dfcd3

Come on @Tesla, go for the green line - how much will the transfer fee on Mooy be?

My guess AUD1.5M + 20% on sell fee (though how we find that out is another thing).

----------------

When Matt Ryan joined Valencia for a reported 7M euros it paid off for CCM.

Ryan’s move will also be music to the ears of Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth, with the A-League club pocketing 15 per cent of the total transfer fee due to a contractual `sell-on’ clause

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-goalkeeper-mat-ryan-leaves-belgium-for-la-liga-big-guns-valencia/news-story/3a5d86867c2aa2e17cc0d00dce5d5384

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

well no fun in that, have a stab.  What would you pay?

Has to 2m+. 

Point of question. AJAX generally make their own players so I was wondering what sort of figures would they spend to bring in players to develop? Also at what age would they be?

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Has to 2m+. 

Point of question. AJAX generally make their own players so I was wondering what sort of figures would they spend to bring in players to develop? Also at what age would they be?

Mooy wouldn't be bought by Ajax to be developed, he would slot into the first team straight away. Ajax sign heaps of players in their 20s and 30s from other clubs. For every Blind, van der Vaart and Sneijder that graduates from the academy there is a Suarez, Huntelaar or Ibrahimovic that doesn't.

Players like Gabri, Stam, Maxwell, Overmars, Litmanen, Cillessen, Chivu and even our own Robbie Wielaert never came through the Ajax academy.

• Like 2

On 04/04/2016 at 10:45 PM, Shahanga said:

Come on @Tesla, go for the green line - how much will the transfer fee on Mooy be?

My guess AUD1.5M + 20% on sell fee (though how we find that out is another thing).

----------------

When Matt Ryan joined Valencia for a reported 7M euros it paid off for CCM.

Ryan’s move will also be music to the ears of Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth, with the A-League club pocketing 15 per cent of the total transfer fee due to a contractual `sell-on’ clause

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-goalkeeper-mat-ryan-leaves-belgium-for-la-liga-big-guns-valencia/news-story/3a5d86867c2aa2e17cc0d00dce5d5384

The Belgian league is by far the most improved league over the last 3-4 years in Europe. Interestingly, it has coincided with the rise of the Belgian national team, despite the Belgian league having the loosest foreigner restrictions (AFAIK it's basically none, but I think they do have a homegrown rule like the European competitions do) of any league. It is probably on par with the Dutch league now, maybe not as good at the top end but I think the depth is a bit better. I guess the transfer fees received from selling most of the new young talent straight to big clubs helped. Anyway, the point is it's a good league for Australian players to go to, especially if it is a big club like Club Brugge or Anderlecht, see Mat Ryan.

However, I honestly don't think it's good enough for Mooy. I think he is good enough to play in any league in Europe, including Spain/England/Germany/italy. And not even necessarily for a relegation battler, but maybe a lower mid table team.

As for transfer fee, I'm going to go out on a limb and say at least $4m, probably more like $5m really. That obviously smashes the record which I think is around the $2m mark.

On 06/04/2016 at 11:52 AM, Dylan said:

My mail is that he's off to Ajax at the end of the season, it's a done deal.
Not sure on the transfer fee at this stage.

got that from 442

Again, you wouldn't complain about Australian players going to Ajax, but I think Mooy can do better. Maybe not necessarily as big a name, but if he can play for a lesser club in a bigger league I think that's the better option.

Look, it's not like a Rogic at Celtic move, which I think is horrible from a developmental perspective as I've said previously because even though I'm sure there are really good facilities and coaches at Celtic you're playing against really fucking bad teams week in week out which limits the amount of developing a player can do (it might get better now that Rangers are back, at least you get a few decent games a year then). While Ajax and PSV are a fair bit stronger at the moment than the rest and there are some pretty bad teams in the Eredevise, overall the standard is pretty good and obviously you have some of the best facilities and coaching in the world. And European games as well of course. But it's no match to getting into a half decent team in EPL/La Liga/bundesliga/ Serie A.

Especially at his age, he doesn't need to be in a developmental club like Ajax at Club Brugge, rather he just needs to play at the highest standard he can.

I wasn't talking shit about his chances of playing in the EPL next season in my previous posts btw.

• Like 2

What would peoples feelings be if Mooy went to Manchester City? 

Whenever a socceroo went to a European club it would also make me follow that club with more interest.

Now the chances are remote but not impossible. So just wondering how Melburnians would see the move and would that change the perception of Manchester City. 

FWIW I follow spurs and obviously have been feeling a little disappointed of late.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Whenever a socceroo went to a European club it would also make me follow that club with more interest.

Now the chances are remote but not impossible. So just wondering how Melburnians would see the move and would that change the perception of Manchester City. 

FWIW I follow spurs and obviously have been feeling a little disappointed of late.

Provided he would get game time this would be the most unbelievable move for so many reasons. It would be silly to see it as us being a feeder club to Man City because the opportunities that come with this for Mooy could be career changing. On top of that with him being within CFG we can bring him back to Melbourne down the track in a years time as a guest or in 5 years time. I see only the benefits of such a move, with the caveat that he must be getting game time. 

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'd be fine with it provided he was getting sufficient game time. Unlikely tho.

If it was to NYC for anything other than an off season loan I'd be pissed off tho.

Just now, Jovan said:

I would be quite happy, specially if he gets game time. I, unlike many on this forum, do not follow any other football leagues. That would be an interesting poll for the forum (CFG?) to have - what other leagues/clubs do you follow and how important are they to you with respect to following Melbourne City.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think I've said before if Mooy really is as good as some on here believe then the logical thing would be for CFG to keep him under its wing. He could then play at the appropriate level either within the group or out on loan. It's not as if CFG needs a transfer fee.

FWIW I don't have any problem whatsoever with players moving around between CFG clubs. Better they do that than lose them on a free transfer at the end of a contract. Right from the start I saw one of the huge benefits of CFG as being the ability to move people around according to needs and abilities - whether on-field or off-field. Makes sense in any multi-national organisation, football or otherwise. The negative about it has arisen because of FF*******A who, by the introduction of the "Lampard Rule" have prevented us - and collaterally all other A-League clubs - of being the beneficiary of inter-club player loans.

Not basing this on anything, but I reckon he'll go to Germany. A few Aussies there and German teams have a history of signing players direct from the A- league ( Kruse, Langerak, Amini, Yeboah). Would love to see him at a good German club like Kruse/Langerak ( but not injured!)

Edited by tommac

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

If it keeps us linked to him, then yeah, that would be great. 

Otherwise, it's 6 of one, half a dozen the other with any team he chooses. As long as he is happy and playing,  then good on him.

As I said previously, it wouldn't surprise me if he moved on loan, whether it's from Melbourne City or Manchester City. I feel like CFG know what he is worth, but it will be hard to get that money when he is coming from the A-league, so the logical choice is to loan him to a European league for a season and then sell him assuming all goes well. 

3 minutes ago, Nate said:

You guys are fucking retarded making Mooy out to be the scapegoat, deadset. 

He was rubbish against Perth last week largely because he was probably physically exhausted from the Socceroos camp + long flights and today everyone was rubbish. 
He's been amazing all season but for these last 2 games and now suddenly you want to make him the villain?

Get fucked lol.

edit: we don't deserve him at the club anyway, good luck to him in Europe.

Turn ot up, Obviously havnt watched the game yet.

Last week is fair enough but where is the defensive tenacity he showed with the socceroos. Not doubting the impact he has had all through the season but you have to admit he was woeful tonight. As was the rest of the team.

• Like 1

Mooy was poor tonight - but  the problem is not actually mooy. Novillo had the ban for the dv issue he has appeared unable to drive past players successfully. That means we have lost one major threat. Fitzgerald is a decent player but no superstar. But franjic has been the real disappointment - he is a shadow of the player he was in Brisbane. The point is that the side is becoming too reliant on mooy. The problem is that no one else seems able to fill the gap. At any rate the problem really is much more structural and while mooy hasn't done much, sheeting so much criticism on him seems unreasonable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

All season we've been relying on the holy trinity to disguise the team problems. Those problems are all too clear every time they don't have a good game

Yes and novillo has been poor for weeks, meaning that our trinity should more be seen as a duumvirate. The absence of novillo as a significant threat has weakened the entire team 

• Like 1

Personally I think that the other clubs have worked the team out and JVS has no response to it. Ensure that Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo have no room to move and if the ball goes their way have two or three players shut them down. If need be foul them - and certainly Fornaroli has a reasonable argument that he is not being looked after by the refs. The players that are being left alone are Kisnorbo, Franjic and Fitzgerald. More than likely because they never do anything constructive with the ball - Fitzgerald may argue otherwise but when he got dangerously close to the box, it was Goodwin who fouls him. So no, I don't think that Mooy was uninterested, it was that he was given no room at all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Personally I think that the other clubs have worked the team out and JVS has no response to it. Ensure that Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo have no room to move and if the ball goes their way have two or three players shut them down. If need be foul them - and certainly Fornaroli has a reasonable argument that he is not being looked after by the refs. The players that are being left alone are Kisnorbo, Franjic and Fitzgerald. More than likely because they never do anything constructive with the ball - Fitzgerald may argue otherwise but when he got dangerously close to the box, it was Goodwin who fouls him. So no, I don't think that Mooy was uninterested, it was that he was given no room at all.

I agree with most of this but Mooy was most definitely uninterested, at least after we conceded the goals and more so as the game wore on. The game opened up more and more as it wore on when you would expect him to be able to find more room, but he got less and less of the ball and his chasing and closing down of opponents dwindled to very very little.  I wish him all the best if he goes to a decent club/league and am very thankful for what he has done for us this season, he has been great to watch.  I am also not blaming him alone for the last two weeks. But he has been shit (especially by his lofty standards) in the last fortnight which has been really disappointing.   

• Like 1

Mooy made the cover of this month's 442 Australia:

cover_15.jpg?itok=2M8KWMbU

Look at Mooy in the new issue of FourFourTwo!

15 April 2016

AARON Mooy has ripped up the A-League this season and made the move into international football seamlessly - and the new FourFourTwo caught up with the Melbourne City talisman to find out how he's done it all.

Now pivotal for both club and country, could this finals series be the last we see of Mooy in the A-League? Catch him while you can - and catch our new issue for the full chat with him...in the meantime, here's a montage of some of his amazing skills on show.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/look-mooy-new-issue-fourfourtwo#:MJTup2n3ejA9EA

Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy’s family values ground a player whose career is set for take off

April 16, 2016

David Davutovic

LIKE any new parent, Aaron Mooy’s life turned on its head five months ago when his first child was born. But the Melbourne City star had more reasons than most for moments of deep reflection.

Born Aaron Kuhlman, his Dutch mother changed his surname when she separated from his father when Mooy was a toddler.

After that Mooy saw his father just once — and then only briefly.

“I met him once to get him to sign forms for my Dutch passport, that was the only time,” Mooy said this week.

“It was just before I went to England, so I was maybe 14. It was very brief.

“Once I was in a shopping centre with some Western Sydney Wanderers boys and this kid came up to me and said, ‘Hi I’m a Kuhlman, we have the same dad and my mum’s got photos of you as a baby’.

“I was shocked, lost for words, really uncomfortable. I knew he’d had kids but no idea how many or age.

“I don’t think I’ll ever talk to him. Even as a kid I didn’t want to know him, I was always a bit disappointed, it was so long without him having any contact.

“Now that I’ve had a kid (Skylar) I understand how much I love my baby. It’s ridiculous already. For him to not want to see me, I don’t understand.

“I’m happy now. It’s in the past, I don’t want to think about it anymore, apart from when I had Skylar and realised it’s crazy.’’

Despite the family upheaval Mooy grew up in a loving household, with his courageous mum providing the backbone alongside a caring stepdad.

City and Socceroos fans may not have been treated to his wizardry had stepdad Alan Todd not come on the scene.

“Mum only told me she changed my name when I was older and then you actually realise more about what happened and why. I like my name,’’ he said.

“My (paternal) dad was born in Germany but mum wanted to get me a Dutch passport (her side). She wanted nothing to do with him.

“My stepdad I always used to think was my real dad and even to this day I still do. He’s been unbelievable, I love him like a real dad.

“My first memories are playing soccer for Carlingford Redbacks with my stepdad as the coach.’’

The shy, blond-haired toddler fell in love with the round ball and his parents nurtured that passion.

“I loved playing on a Saturday morning. Up early, you could always smell the cut grass,’’ Mooy said.

“I’d have to swap around and go in goals, I hated that.

“I watched football on TV and I just got mad about it, everything football. I used to go to the markets and get cards (Premier League), jerseys, I’d draw players.

“(David) Beckham was my favourite, whenever he was on TV I’d have to watch. I used to practice his free-kicks and pretend I was him.’’

It’s no coincidence that Mooy’s stellar form has continued since Skylar’s arrival last November as his wacky sleep patterns have been offset by a different outlook on life.

“I used to constantly think about football and if I had a bad game I’d think about it for days. Now I have the baby and it takes your mind off it,’’ he said.

“Football’s still a big part of me, it just opens you up about the world.

“I’ve started cooking a lot more. I don’t mind, I’m improving a lot.’’

Stopping short of claiming to be a super chef, Mooy claims to be serviceable in the kitchen.

“My missus likes my steak and coleslaw. My coleslaw’s not pure handmade, the cabbage will be ready to go but I’ll add stuff to it,’’ he said.

His worst dish? “I once served a steak blue, so before I sat down I had to go back and keep cooking. I learnt a lesson that day, it’s better to overcook it.’’

There’s no such inconsistencies on the pitch, with Mooy’s outstanding campaign netting him an A-League record 20 assists and 11 goals, leaving him favourite alongside teammate Bruno Fornaroli and Perth Glory combatant Diego Castro for the Johnny Warren medal.

MOOY declared that he will play Sunday’s game like it’s his last, with a Euro move imminent.

Melbourne City blocked a massive $2m offer from Saudi Arabia in January but Belgians Club Brugge are among the overseas clubs watching the midfielder.

“Until something’s on the table I won’t think like that. You never know. I’ll play like it’s my last game because I don’t know what’s going to happen,’’ Mooy said.

“We’ve worked hard all year to be part of the finals, it’s the most exciting part of the season. I can’t wait.

“It’s been a difficult two weeks but the big prize is still up for grabs and I believe we can do it.’’

Mooy is desperate for silverware with his three A-League seasons yielding two grand final defeats (at Western Sydney) and a semi-final loss with City.

“My only finals memories are losing, I want to win badly,’’ he said.

“Everyone’s going to be really up for it, if you’re not you’ll get beaten right away. It’ll come down to being ruthless in front of goal, taking your chances and the tactical side of it.

“Our team’s broken lots of records this year. A loss would be really disappointing, we were close to the Premier’s Plate a few weeks ago.’’

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-star-aaron-mooys-family-values-ground-a-player-whose-career-is-set-for-take-off/news-story/961937a402a506d0527a2079db5b14f0