Melbourne Football

MHFC vs WSW @ Parramatta Staduim on Sat 7/12/13 @ 5:30pm

cadete

I disagree with you there. Golgol has been very threatening on the right wing quite often forcing two defenders to cover him. No one else we have at this stage would be able to cover that position better.

Also, Ramsey has been average at best, wouldn't start him either.

Edited by n i k o

I disagree with you there. Golgol has been very threatening on the right wing quite often forcing two defenders to cover him. No one else we have at this stage would be able to cover that position better.

He is far too lazy, only reason he wasn't so bad on the weekend was because he came on fresh when the game had opened up.

He's very much an impact player, most effective coming off the bench, and he proved this in full last season.

He doesn't have the stamina to run out a solid 90; 48 career caps for just 7 full games.

If you start him, you go in to a game knowing you will most likely need to burn a sub on him.

Williams is much better at RW and probably Mate too if he can get back to where he left off.

Part of the problem is that we never seem to have a settled team.

I'd be very interested to see when was the last time that some of our senior squad members actually played out a full A-League match.

I think it's a bit hard to have a settled team when you haven't won in 13 matches.

How do you keep rewarding mediocrity?

And for what it's worth, we have 11 players who have played at least 6 of 8 games and Kisnorbo has played 5/5 he's been available for.

Aloisi seems pretty settled in his selections. Rarely have we (or our opposition) been surprised by his selections.

According to Lauren Wood on twitter, a sports report at MX Melbourne, "skipper Harry Kewell rates his ankle 70% & says he's "working day & night" to get it right. More in [the MX Melbourne newspaper]"

Also Popovic today said that he wants Aloisi to be kept at Heart:

Popovic also backed besieged Heart coach John Aloisi to lead his winless side off the bottom of the A-League ladder in the coming weeks.

"He's a winner, he's been a proven winner throughout his career as a footballer and you can see those traits in him and on the weekend you can see his passion and drive and that'll put him in good stead," he said.

"I'm sure he'll work extremely hard to get things right at that club and I hope he does, but not this weekend, I hope it starts after this weekend."

(http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/12/04/4453108/popovic-wanderers-eager-to-face-kewell)

Now Popovic, GVE and Farina have all said they really hope that Heart keep Aloisi. Given their conflict of interest (they all want to keep getting easy points against us. They all have already beat us once, and they all want to get 3 easy wins against us), their endorsements mean little if anything. Indeed, it's pretty much further proof that Aloisi has to go.

Edited by Murfy1

According to Lauren Wood on twitter, a sports report at MX Melbourne, "skipper Harry Kewell rates his ankle 70% & says he's "working day & night" to get it right. More in [the MX Melbourne newspaper]"

Popovic also backed besieged Heart coach John Aloisi to lead his winless side off the bottom of the A-League ladder in the coming weeks.

"He's a winner, he's been a proven winner throughout his career as a footballer and you can see those traits in him and on the weekend you can see his passion and drive and that'll put him in good stead," he said.

"I'm sure he'll work extremely hard to get things right at that club and I hope he does, but not this weekend, I hope it starts after this weekend."

(http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/12/04/4453108/popovic-wanderers-eager-to-face-kewell)

Now Popovic, GVE and Farina have all said they really hope that Heart keep Aloisi. Given their conflict of interest (they all want to keep getting easy points against us. They all have already beat us once, and they all want to get 3 easy wins against us), their endorsements mean little if anything. Indeed, it's pretty much further proof that Aloisi has to go.

The other teams are loving playing us atm. Popovic aint stupid he must watch our games and think 'what the fuck are they doing?'

Yet the heart board will take these comments as further incentive that they're doing the right thing and JA will keep thinking his a good coach that needs more luck on his side.

And the end of the day, they're all mates and fellow professionals who will go into bat for each other no matter what.

Ask any manager whether he thinks another should be sacked/if managers are given too little time to build their teams and deliver results and you'll get the same answers every time.

And the end of the day, they're all mates and fellow professionals who will go into bat for each other no matter what.

Ask any manager whether he thinks another should be sacked/if managers are given too little time to build their teams and deliver results and you'll get the same answers every time.

I reckon that's all true. But at the same time I reckon there's a part of A-League coaches, especially coaches like Frank Farina and GVE who both were fearful of getting sacked at the start of this season, that must thank their lucky stars that they get to play John Aloisi's Melbourne Heart 3 times a season each. Also Farina and GVE only gave their rather gushing support of Aloisi after their teams comprehensively beat us. So I'm pretty sure they see us as 9 points in the bag this season.

Part of the problem is that we never seem to have a settled team.

I'd be very interested to see when was the last time that some of our senior squad members actually played out a full A-League match.

I think it's a bit hard to have a settled team when you haven't won in 13 matches.

How do you keep rewarding mediocrity?

And for what it's worth, we have 11 players who have played at least 6 of 8 games and Kisnorbo has played 5/5 he's been available for.

Aloisi seems pretty settled in his selections. Rarely have we (or our opposition) been surprised by his selections.

What I meant by "settled team" was players playing regularly in their positions, and when they're not available or are manifestly out of form then there's a genuine replacement player who steps up. Not shuffle the favoured group out of the squad. I would have expected that 13 games without a win would have seen quite a few players come into the starting line-up. But that doesn't seem to happen. 

Neither mauk nor kalmar should play defensively behind murdocca and migliorini. Unless you meant to say in front??

I still think migliorini should be played in a more attacking role because he just doesnt get up and especially down the pitch quick enough. Have murdocca and mauk as defensive mids and migliorini as attacking mid.

If you reread my post I didn't actually say they should sit 'defensively' behind rather sitting behind.

Some might not see the difference but consider Bresciano's resurgence for the national team. How often, when paired with Milligan, did u see Bresciano collect the ball from a deeper position than Milligan?

We know how good Bresciano's passing range is. By playing him deeper he could collect possession more easily and direct play while Milligan runs around like a headless chicken.

Same approach at Heart might prove useful. Only a suggestion tho.

Edited by mattyh001

We have played WSW 4 times, and we have lost each game. In 3 of those games we lost by a goal, and in the other game we lost by 2 goals (WSW scored 3, but we pulled a goal back through a screamer from Golgol).

We pretty much get bullied out of these games, and I expect that to happen this weekend. I reckon we will probably lose this game more due to our lack of intensity compared with WSW, us not winning enough 50/50s and us not being physical/strong enough. In a game like this I don't think tactics will count for an awful lot, but I doubt our tactics would help us a lot if this was a tactical game anyway.

I was pleased with the effort we showed last weekend, but I don't expect us to follow up with similar effort, especially since we're playing outside of Victoria. And despite me being pleased with some things last round, I still think we're going in the wrong direction under Aloisi, and I think we'll be strongly reminded of this against WSW.

Agree. There is no way on this earth that Popo or his players are contemplating losing this game in front of their home fans. They are going to be up for it 1000%. If we win, JA and the boys can claim to have turned things around.

Not a fan of GolGol, he looks lazy and won't track back. I even saw JA give him a spray for it late in the second half against AU.

But if we are going to play pointless long, high balls forward, maybe play GogGol up front with Mifsud hanging just behind. This gives us the option of playing it on the deck (i know, but I can dream, right?), but also posing some sort of arial threat up front.

Maybe play williams and ramsay on the wing with migliorini and kewell(?, Kalmar) in the center.

Neither mauk nor kalmar should play defensively behind murdocca and migliorini. Unless you meant to say in front??

I still think migliorini should be played in a more attacking role because he just doesnt get up and especially down the pitch quick enough. Have murdocca and mauk as defensive mids and migliorini as attacking mid.

If you reread my post I didn't actually say they should sit 'defensively' behind rather sitting behind.

Some might not see the difference but consider Bresciano's resurgence for the national team. How often, when paired with Milligan, did u see Bresciano collect the ball from a deeper position than Milligan?

We know how good Bresciano's passing range is. By playing him deeper he could collect possession more easily and direct play while Milligan runs around like a headless chicken.

Same approach at Heart might prove useful. Only a suggestion tho.

Ok got ya. To be honest though I think that level of tactics would go over JAs head.

Melbourne Heart Squad:
1. Andrew Redmayne (Gk), 3. Robbie Wielaert, 6. Patrick Gerhardt, 7. Iain Ramsay, 8. Massimo Murdocca, 10. Harry Kewell, 11. Michael Mifsud, 14. Golgol Mebrahtu, 15. David Williams 16. Aziz Behich, 17. Jason Hoffman, 19. Ben Garuccio, 20. Tando Velaphi (Gk), 21. Stefan Mauk, 22. Nick Kalmar, 23. Mate Dugandzic, 24. Patrick Kisnorbo, 25. Andrea Migliorini ***two To Be Omitted***

Ins: 10. Harry Kewell (Returns From Injury), 19. Ben Garuccio (Promoted)
Outs: Nil
Unavailable: 4. Orlando Engelaar (Fractured Tibia – Long-term), 9. Dylan Macallister (Hamstring 2-3 Weeks), 13. Jonatan Germano (Calf - 2 Weeks)
Good to see Benny G promoted, although doubt JA will start him.

Interesting to se Germano go from "Hamstring - 1 Week" to "Calf - 2 Weeks"...  :rolleyes:

What I want to see:

Redmayne

Walker Wielaert Kisnorbo Behich

Migliorini Murdocca

Kewell

Mebrahtu Mifsud Williams

Bench

Velaphi (GK) 
Gerhardt

Mauk
Ramsay

Garuccio

What I expect to see: 

Redmayne

Hoffman Wielaert Kisnorbo Behich

Migliorini Murdocca

Williams

Dugandzic Mifsud Ramsay

Bench

Velaphi (GK)

Mauk
Kalmar

Walker

Gerhardt

• Like 3

Preview: Western Sydney Wanderers v Melbourne Heart

By Steve Orme

Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne Heart will meet in Round 9 of the 2013-14 A-League season at Pirtek Stadium on Saturday December 7 at 5.30pm AEDT.

Form: 

Past five matches: 

Wanderers: DLWWW 

Heart: DLLLL 

Previous encounter: 

Heart 0 : Wanderers 1

The Game:

After two weeks on the road the second-placed Wanderers return home to host bottom-placed Melbourne Heart. It has been a tough fortnight for Tony Popovic's side after a 3-1 defeat to Brisbane and a 0-0 draw with Wellington Phoenix last start. The Heart travel to Pirtek Stadium still searching for their maiden victory of the campaign having managed three draws from eight games this season. John Aloisi's men fought back from 2-0 down against Adelaide and looked on track for their first victory before settling for a 3-3 draw. Harry Kewell is a chance to return from neck and ankle injuries for the Round 9 clash in what would be a big boost for the visitors. 

The big issue:

Wanderers – last year's premiers are sweating on the fitness of four key players including marquee man Shinji Ono. The Japanese star missed the Wellington clash but returned to training on Monday and will be given until Friday to prove his fitness. Brendon Santalab, Jerome Polenz and Tomi Juric also sat out last week's scoreless draw and are in the mix to return against the Heart. 

Heart – it has been 14 months since John Aloisi's men collected three points on the road and it doesn't get much tougher than travelling to Pirtek Stadium to face the Wanderers in front of their fanatical fans. The Heart can take confidence out of their spirited effort against Adelaide United last start but desperately need a victory to breathe life back into their campaign. 

The game breaker:

Yousouff Hersi – the livewire winger will be better for his cameo appearance off the bench against Wellington after a five-week layoff with a foot injury. While the Wanderers possess quality players all over the pitch, Hersi is the x-factor and is capable of turning a game with one moment of brilliance. Whether he comes off the bench or returns to the starting side, don't be surprised if the 31-year-old produces the defining moment of the contest. 

Prediction:  Wanderers 2-0 Heart

All the stats point to a Wanderers win in front of their passionate fans at Pirtek Stadium. Tony Popovic's men have won all four matches between the two clubs and the Wanderers haven't lost in any of their last nine home games. Add the fact the Heart haven't won away for more than a year and Aloisi's men clearly have their work cut out for them this weekend. But luckily for the winless Heart games are played on the field – not on paper – and there were some positive signs in the 3-3 draw with Adelaide United last start. The previous meeting in Round 5 was competitive, with the Wanderers doing enough to claim all three points with a 1-0 victory. Popovic's charges were not at their best against Wellington Phoenix last weekend and the desperate Heart will throw everything at them on Saturday night, but the Wanderers should have too much class and return to the winners' circle.

Edited by Murfy1

Wielaert dreaming of win over Wanderers

By Dejan Kalinic

05/12/2013 2:09:00 PM

The Dutch centre-back is hopeful his struggling team can end their wait for a first victory this season in one of the toughest environments of all

A 'little party' is in store for the Melbourne Heart should they win in Western Sydney on Saturday, according to defender Rob Wielaert.

Winless this season, the Heart's dreadful away record faces another test when they visit Pirtek Stadium to meet the second-placed Wanderers.

The Heart's last win outside Victoria came in December 2011 and ending that woeful record would certainly lead to a celebration.

"We're going to have a little party if we get three points away," Wielaert told reporters on Thursday.

"We have to get confidence in ourselves because we have a very good team if we play together. If we don't play together, then we can lose every game."

Wielaert is hopeful attacker Harry Kewell will be fit to return from an ankle injury, but said the 35-year-old was still doing rehab.

Western Sydney meanwhile have marquee midfielder Shinji Ono in doubt for the encounter with a groin strain.

Wielaert played against Ono – then at Feyenoord – during his time in the Netherlands, but warned the Heart the Wanderers have plenty of other weapons.

"I played against him when he was at Feyenoord. He was also a very important player for Feyenoord," he said.

"He's a good player, but I think they have a very good team. They don't rely on one player."

Wielaert said it is important his side stay compact away from home, and is confident an attack that has scored in just three of eight games this season will fire.

"For us it's important that we don't get a counter-attack in an away game because they are waiting for a counter," he said.

"We have to make sure the defence is OK and that's the main thing. With our strikers, we're going to score almost every game I think."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/12/05/4455789/wielaert-dreaming-of-win-over-wanderers

Edited by Murfy1

Heart say they can do better

By Jacqueline Le 14:07 AEST Thu Dec 5 2013

Melbourne Heart have bigger problems than whether star midfielder Harry Kewell will be fit enough to play the Western Sydney Wanderers this weekend.

The team wants to save their A-League season and put to bed concerns they are struggling under coach John Aloisi.

"Everybody feels that we're doing the right thing, but the results aren't there," defender Robbie Wielaert told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.

"So you feel bad for the coach, but we're just going to keep working harder and hope there'll be a change."

While Kewell's return from injury will improve Heart's forward line, Wielaert says the former Socceroo's absence is not why the team are trailing this season, with only three goals from eight games.

"We have to defend with the whole team and we have to attack with the whole team," he said.

"We haven't been doing that so well."

But their morale-boosting 3-3 draw against Adelaide last weekend is proof the team should not be written-off completely.

"We showed some personality and we came back. We could have won that game," said the Dutch national.

Heart are last on the ladder with three points, while the Wanderers go into Saturday's match in second place on 15 points.

Shinji Ono is still in doubt for round nine with a minor groin strain, but Melbourne know Western Sydney's strengths go beyond the Wanderers' marquee man.

A fighting Kewell, though, will improve Heart's hopes of turning around their poor start to the season.

"We want a really fit Harry, and he'll be important for us," said Wielaert.

"We think we can turn this around."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8766574

Edited by Murfy1

Wielaert dreaming of win over Wanderers

By Dejan Kalinic

05/12/2013 2:09:00 PM

The Dutch centre-back is hopeful his struggling team can end their wait for a first victory this season in one of the toughest environments of all

A 'little party' is in store for the Melbourne Heart should they win in Western Sydney on Saturday, according to defender Rob Wielaert.

Winless this season, the Heart's dreadful away record faces another test when they visit Pirtek Stadium to meet the second-placed Wanderers.

The Heart's last win outside Victoria came in December 2011 and ending that woeful record would certainly lead to a celebration.

"We're going to have a little party if we get three points away," Wielaert told reporters on Thursday.

"We have to get confidence in ourselves because we have a very good team if we play together. If we don't play together, then we can lose every game."

Wielaert is hopeful attacker Harry Kewell will be fit to return from an ankle injury, but said the 35-year-old was still doing rehab.

Western Sydney meanwhile have marquee midfielder Shinji Ono in doubt for the encounter with a groin strain.

Wielaert played against Ono – then at Feyenoord – during his time in the Netherlands, but warned the Heart the Wanderers have plenty of other weapons.

"I played against him when he was at Feyenoord. He was also a very important player for Feyenoord," he said.

"He's a good player, but I think they have a very good team. They don't rely on one player."

Wielaert said it is important his side stay compact away from home, and is confident an attack that has scored in just three of eight games this season will fire.

"For us it's important that we don't get a counter-attack in an away game because they are waiting for a counter," he said.

"We have to make sure the defence is OK and that's the main thing. With our strikers, we're going to score almost every game I think."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/12/05/4455789/wielaert-dreaming-of-win-over-wanderers

"With our strikers, we're going to score almost every game I think."

:blink: 

Lol delusion with ev everything coming out of the club at the minute.

So the club continues playing us for fools. When will enough be enough? Kewell ' s whiplash and German's hamstring now calf. Just a joke.

Agreed.

No Walker, no Vranks.

HTF Dugandzic and Kalmar get selected is beyond me. They made nil contribution against Adelaide.

I've had enough. Aloisi must go.

• Like 1

Wielaert is much more levelheaded than the write ups of that press conference let on. But at the same time, he is reasonably ambitious, and thinks we should be able to beat anyone in the A-League. Also, he mainly seems to think that our strikers should score (almost) every game because we create so many decent chances (as opposed to just thinking we have strikers good enough to score goals in every game).

IMO Wielaert and Murdocca are very plainspoken and levelheaded, and also pretty ambitious, which makes them a great counterweight to so many other pretty delusional persons at our club.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

So the club continues playing us for fools. When will enough be enough? Kewell ' s whiplash and German's hamstring now calf. Just a joke.

Agreed.

No Walker, no Vranks.

HTF Dugandzic and Kalmar get selected is beyond me. They made nil contribution against Adelaide.

I've had enough. Aloisi must go.

Totally agree.

Where is our youth? Where is the competition for places? Same names different positions and we have 3 points for the season.

This is the worst run professional sporting club I can ever remember. From top to bottom. From board to management to football department. Just an absolute poorly run club.

Aloisi, Munn, JD and Sidwell can all go as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed.

No Walker, no Vranks.

I've had enough. Aloisi must go. Totally agree.

Where is our youth? Where is the competition for places? Same names different positions and we have 3 points for the season.

This is the worst run professional sporting club I can ever remember. From top to bottom. From board to management to football department. Just an absolute poorly run club.

Didn't you say you support Newcastle as well? You sure know how to pick em.

Agreed.

No Walker, no Vranks.

I've had enough. Aloisi must go. Totally agree.

Didn't you say you support Newcastle as well? You sure know how to pick em.

I tell myself that everyday.

At least Newcastle has provided me with a lot of joy and entertaining football. The current ownership mirrors ours in a lot of ways. Drained the ambition from the club.

Ever been to St James Park? Best stadium in world football. Bar none.

This club is another two or three levels of crap in the way it's run.

Agreed.

No Walker, no Vranks.

I've had enough. Aloisi must go.Totally agree.

Aloisi, Munn, JD and Sidwell can all go as far as I'm concerned. Didn't you say you support Newcastle as well? You sure know how to pick em. I tell myself that everyday.

At least Newcastle has provided me with a lot of joy and entertaining football. The current ownership mirrors ours in a lot of ways. Drained the ambition from the club.

Ever been to St James Park? Best stadium in world football. Bar none.

This club is another two or three levels of crap in the way it's run.

Craven Cottage begs to differ