Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Aloisi Farewell game: Melbourne v Adelaide, Sunday 5pm

LR9

I don't know what to think...

My head tells me Aloisi still has to go, but my heart (no pun intended) tells me he should stay. 

First half was obviously deplorable but the second half was really good by the lads, Migliorini's strikes were both world class but it wasn't just him, we actually looked like a good side for once.

It's important to take into consideration that Adelaide's defence was woeful so I'll reserve judgement as to whether we can turn things around this season or not in a tough next few weeks but I don't know, it was nice to actually enjoy watching a game of football for the first time this season.

Edited by Nate

I thought that was a terrible game. The first half was possibly the worst football since the bad days of Perth and NZ Knights, absolutely clueless. There was 15 minutes of effective long ball football in the second half but then back into our usual anxious torpor. we actually had a lead but couldn't hold it. Mifsud should have taken that penalty, he needs a goal. 

Nobody doubts Aloisi's passion, his coaching is terrible and he should resign or be sacked.

• Like 5

Why did the banner read 'We will not stand for mediocrity'? We've had the worst EVER start to the league of ANY team, now by my definition that is abysmal. Should have been something other than mediocrity to express the angst amongst fans. Our first half was junk and so was Mifsud, second half was entertaining and I reckon Yarraside got the lads back in the contest. 

Edited by Deluka

What was with Aloisi at the end, or more to the point, were we cheering for him?

I thought he was going to cop it, but from where I was standing it sounded like everyone was cheering. I'm rather confused.

After john's chest thumping

I was waiting for him to throw his jacket into the crowd.

That's the most passion I have seen from him ever!!

What was with Aloisi at the end, or more to the point, were we cheering for him?

I thought he was going to cop it, but from where I was standing it sounded like everyone was cheering. I'm rather confused.

Easy for JA to do after this game, if he had real cohones he would have come over after the Sydney debacle. Nobody doubts his passion, his coaching ability is the issue

• Like 4

What a crazy game. Not quite sure what to make of it.

I still think Aloisi is weighing down the team, but the players clearly performed in the second half for him. It was pretty uplifting to see that raw effort in the second half, and if we can see that kind of effort week in week out, I'll be significantly more appreciative of the coaches and team.

However, even if that happens, I still think our coaches provide more negatives than positives. The tactics we employ are dooming us, and I think the last 10 to 15 minutes clearly showed it. Despite our effort, the way we play is ineffective, and I can't help but think that if we had decent tactics, we maybe could have squeezed a win out of today's game.

Also, the personal choices are bizarre and costly. Gerhardt was clueless for our second goal, and he was a feeble RB overall. Further, how on earth did Ramsay and especially Mifsud say on for the entire game?

The players deserve a lot of credit for their desperation and effort in the second half. But nonetheless it should be said that our first half was criminal.

Migliorini, take a bow. He may not have had a perfect game, or be a perfect player, but he made the difference today, and that quality and application has been sorely lacking this season. We should do as Sydney did, and cut our injury prone VISA player, Germano, and secure Migliorini for the rest of the season. 

Mifsud was sorely disappointing. We actually created some respectable chances this game, and he butchered at least 3 of them. He should be thankful if he makes the bench next round.

Even if we remain a bit of a shambles for the rest of the season, we deserve to see the effort we saw from the players today regularly, and not only after we end up with our backs against the wall. Also, no more messing around, we need results. I still think we need to make serious changes, but at least we saw something today.

• Like 5

I agree with you above Bella, this changes nothing for me. The first half was deplorable and not acceptable. We were a rabble and the number of times I saw the midfield area of the park empty of Heart players was just laughable. No shape, no structure.

But for two moments of individual brilliance and an incredibly dodgy pen, he will probably hang on. People need to see the bigger picture over the last 35 games. The really sad thing for me is it takes the obvious sword of Damocles hanging over JA's head at half time for the players to fire up. The lack of passion in the first half was just a continuation of the last 15 games - simply sad. If it takes these desperate times to finally fire up, then the coach doesn't have the ability to inspire - you do wonder whether the players were playing in fear of a new gaffer who might actually ask for accountability.

Sat next to some travelling Adelaide fans and got talking about Ramsay. They were actually happy to see him go. Poor finishing and a laziness without the ball were their main beefs. Nothing seems to have changed.

And Mifsud - sometimes things are so bad you just have to Lol. Everyone in our bay did, and even the Adelaide fans with us couldn't believe what they were seeing. Worthy of the ESPN football cockups of the week.

Such is life.

• Like 1

I thought the silent protest went well, except for that one wank stain up the back who started yelling and carrying on 'you should stand up, blah blah blah' STFU! Was glad the bloke in front of me got up and gave him an earful, what a tosser.

The game was a doosy though, at the end of the first half i felt like sitting for 90 minutes, kudos for the boys picking themselves up and getting back into it. Gerdhart is quite clearly not a RB, the bloke tries his guts out and as much as i love him, he should be starting on the bench and only ever be an emergency for Kisnorbo and Wielart.

Kisnorbo was my man of the match today IMO, in that first half he stopped countless balls from going across the box and stopped the game for going to shit for us. Migiloroni's best ever game for heart today, it was actually nice to see someone who could finish for a change.

Misfud is fucking garbage, not only did he miss 3-4 clear cut chances, but he also cost us a goal in that fucking wall. Unlucky or not, i don't know what the fuck he was doing, why was he even in the wall in the first place? Also, he didn't even come over at the end of the game and try and talk with the fans. A mercenary is all he is.

One thing that did impress me today about JA is how he came over after the game and showed some passion. I still want him out, however at least he is not running from anyone, he could've simply just walked into the change rooms after the game but chose to come over to the fans, even though we have actively chanted for him to be sacked. He showed some balls.

Also Kisnorbo for captain, gol gol played well and i still can't believe that we got 6k there.

Edited by kingofhearts

Easy for JA to do after this game, if he had real cohones he would have come over after the Sydney debacle. Nobody doubts his passion, his coaching ability is the issue

I never mentioned tactics as there was nothing even to mention.

It was the same hoof it to miSSFud and hope for the best as per every other week.

Adelaide defense is poor playing high line.

Today we got lucky as there was no handball and penalty should not have been given

Unlike Paddy G playing keeper in our box, that was a penalty to Adelaide...not given.

and if he did throw his jacket, I would have thrown it back to him

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

Well we drew when we needed to win. so personally, I'm gutted.  Despite the terrible start once we hit the front I thought we'd go on to win it.

A few random things:

• It was a first though- the first time we have got ANYTHING out of a game when we've gone behind in the Aloisi era.
  • I spotted JVS at the game - sitting in the upper tier, right up the top.  Perhaps he will take some role in the senior club?  I know he has his detractors on here, but he knows a lot more than our current gaffer.
  • Surpised Yarraside were so polite as to talk about mediocrity - sadly mediocrity is just a dream at present. 

Couple of things to note:

1) Our structure at times was terrible, the amount of times our midfield was not existent was incredible, sometimes leaving humongous amounts of space between midfield and our forwards.

2) Defensively I don't understand how we can allow one single player from the opposition to run at us for 15 to 20 metres without being tackled. We had 3 defenders with one of there players running at us and we keep retreating. One player must go challenge for the ball. They're inviting opposition players to have shots on goal outside the penalty area.

Furthermore defensively some of our players off the ball are terrible. You have a player that has peeled away from you for fuck sake stay with him. He's clearly moving to try receive the ball and our players allow them to get away which in turn gives them too much space to turn and run at us.

3) Quite certain that all our goals came from keeping the ball on the deck...hint hint john

• Like 1

Dylan, too bad that corner wasn't given! lol

I still think Aloisi should go. He finally got the luck he was looking for with that penalty, but unlucky with Carusca's free kick to equalise.

Frankly, I don't think the second half can undo all the shit that has been served up all season.

#AloisiOut

Couple of things to note:

1) Our structure at times was terrible, the amount of times our midfield was not existent was incredible, sometimes leaving humongous amounts of space between midfield and our forwards.

2) Defensively I don't understand how we can allow one single player from the opposition to run at us for 15 to 20 metres without being tackled. We had 3 defenders with one of there players running at us and we keep retreating. One player must go challenge for the ball. They're inviting opposition players to have shots on goal outside the penalty area.

Furthermore defensively some of our players off the ball are terrible. You have a player that has peeled away from you for fuck sake stay with him. He's clearly moving to try receive the ball and our players allow them to get away which in turn gives them too much space to turn and run at us.

3) Quite certain that all our goals came from keeping the ball on the deck...hint hint john

In regards to our defence in tonight's game I noticed that PK was used more in the sweeper role and RW in a stopper role, which absolutely baffled me as their qualities as players are best suited to be the way around

If I recollect correctly, Munn said in an interview that anything less than a win this weekend is not acceptable.

I wonder which day this week will they announce Aloisi's replacement!

Sacking JA if he didn't win 3 games was a John Howard/Tony Abbott type 'non-core promise'. I don't expect the club to do anything as that would require spending extra money.