Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Aloisi Farewell game: Melbourne v Adelaide, Sunday 5pm

LR9

Melbourne Heart must expose Adelaide United's failing tiki-taka game plan in must-win clash

Matt Windley   Herald Sun   November 29, 2013 

ADELAIDE United passes more than a timid game show contestant.

But as evidenced by its performance against Melbourne Victory last week the positive upfield movement amounts to little in front of goal.

Josep Gombau's men return to Melbourne on Saturday for the second of back-to-back trips across the border.

And surely playing the third-from-bottom-Reds at AAMI Park gives Melbourne Heart its best chance yet to break its season duck.

Fox Sports Stats reveal that last week against Victory the Reds held possession for 67 per cent of the time, completed 520 of a staggering 607 passes - 189 of which were in the attacking third - had 57 per cent of territory and attempted 22 shots.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that those sorts of figures would produce results more often than not and yet Victory were good for its 3-0 win, this despite being reduced to 10-men when only 1-0 up just before half time.

The intent of the players doesn't seem to be lacking.

Despite having so much of the ball Adelaide successfully completed 17 of 28 attempted tackles, not far behind Victory's 25/36 ratio, and committed 15 fouls to Victory's 14.

Something is not adding up.

Adelaide has completed 3460 passes this season, trailing only Brisbane in this statistic, while it is accurate too, successfully completing 82.1 per cent of its passes, the A-League's highest percentage.

But this can be misleading because the Reds often don't make attacking inroads with their passing.

Gombau's team has directed more passes backwards than any other this season (they retreat with 23.8 per cent of their passes) and only 45.7 per cent of their passes go forward, ranking them last in the competition.

So despite averaging a league-high 58 per cent possession a game and playing, on average, 53 per cent of the game in its attacking half Adelaide has won just once this season, in Round 1, and sits eighth on five points.

And while sound with the ball at their feet, the Reds defence - playing a high line - has been pierced far too often.

Adelaide has conceded, along with Heart, an A-League high 12 goals this season and is the only team yet to record a clean sheet.

It has also faced the most shots on target of any team in the competition, suggesting the team is gifting opposition sides far too many golden opportunities to score.

Heart has been guilty in recent weeks of sitting back and playing conservative football, but the onus will be on the home team this week to attack and put pressure on a Reds defence that has been found wanting so far this season.

Gombau forewarned that the tiki-taka revolution at Adelaide would take time to bed down.

An under-pressure John Aloisi will be hoping his counterpart's game plan takes at least one more week to click.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-must-expose-adelaide-uniteds-failing-tikitaka-game-plan-in-mustwin-clash/story-fnk6pqhd-1226770751000

Edited by Murfy1

"But this can be misleading because the Reds often don't make attacking inroads with their passing.

Gombau's team has directed more passes backwards than any other this season (they retreat with 23.8 per cent of their passes) and only 45.7 per cent of their passes go forward, ranking them last in the competition."

All those doubting JA. He is simply a trend setter.

Who's the 2 to get dropped.

Id say Walker is one (FFS) and the other one would have to be Mauk.

Even though Walker should be in that starting 11, i'm not gonna knock The Hoff just yet. Besides the Perth game (which he struggled with the heat), he hasnt been all that bad.

It's actually 3 to be dropped, cunts at heart HQ cant count, not surprising...

Hopefully we see:

Velaphi

Walker - Gerhardt - Vrankovic - Hoffman

Murdocca - Kalmar

Golgol - Mauk - Williams

Mifsud

Give the fans what they want, JA!  :up:

Kalmar would struggle in that position, he is a number 10 it either has to be him or Mauk in Mauk's position and the other on the bench. As much of a fan I am of Kalmar, think Mauk needs to get the nod ahead of Kalmar

They would all struggle in that formation ... I think he is taking the Piss 

I dislike JA intensely. Just will not roll the dice and play some younger players. Persists with Dugandzic, Williams, Mebrahtu - should give Garuccio an opportunity. Really pissing me off now.

Youve changed your tune Johnny ?

I don't think so. Possibly over the past year my position has shifted a bit, but then it probably has for most of us.

JA is clinging to the same old recipe that has been proven not to work. As has been said several times, repeating the same things and expecting a different outcome is close to madness.

If we keep giving the ball away in our defensive 3rd of the pitch( like we have all season) we will be punished

I know its obvious what I'm saying , but just so frustrated

It's a problem we seem unable to solve, week after week.

which comes back to the coach, either the players are badly coached, are shite ( or both) . therefore the coach has to give them a kick up the backside or drop them etc. as you said Bela , it's happening week after week , it's not a one off thing

Imagine something different ... This would be good to see ..... (false 9)

Willow ------------------------------- Garrucio

------------------Mifsud-----------------------

--------Murdocca ---------Mauk------------

-----------------Retre-------------------------

Ramsay-----------------------------Walker

---------Varankovic-----Kisnorbo----------

Redmayane

Bench: Behich (only cos he his down in confidence), Kalmar, Duga, Weilhart, Tando

Press through the middle, play with fast passing and the ball on the ground and let the young guys attack, especially down the flanks, with Varankovic the distributor from the backline.  Also, have the the wingbacks and wingers switch sides once or twice each half ....

If Kewell is fit, play him off the bench instead of Kalmar

Imagine something different ... This would be good to see ..... (false 9)

Willow ------------------------------- Garrucio

------------------Mifsud-----------------------

--------Murdocca ---------Mauk------------

-----------------Retre-------------------------

Ramsay-----------------------------Walker

---------Varankovic-----Kisnorbo----------

Redmayane

Bench: Behich (only cos he his down in confidence), Kalmar, Duga, Weilhart, Tando

Press through the middle, play with fast passing and the ball on the ground and let the young guys attack, especially down the flanks, with Varankovic the distributor from the backline.  Also, have the the wingbacks and wingers switch sides once or twice each half ....

If Kewell is fit, play him off the bench instead of Kalmar

I like it but I would put either Kewell/Kalmar/Duga in Misfud's spot

How we use players is more important than a nominal formation. We need more passing options at attacking transition so that we are less likely to lose the ball and our full backs need space to create width in attack and we need to not leave our 9 isolated or having to come so deep to collect the ball

• Like 1

How we use players is more important than a nominal formation. We need more passing options at attacking transition so that we are less likely to lose the ball and our full backs need space to create width in attack and we need to not leave our 9 isolated or having to come so deep to collect the ball

Can you take over from JA? srs

We haven't actually beaten Adelaide for 3 years, so this won't be no different.

Expecting a 2-0 loss, than JA's sacking.

But hey, at least i get to see harry make his home debut for us :up:

I think this type of formation, with some basic rules that are polar opposite to what we do now would assist in creating more fluency and options in attack... And by dropping the striker in to the midfield there would be no point in playing rubbish long balls .... Plus, I thought it would refreshing to post something other than doom and gloom .... That being said, #aloisiout

'Fraid I won't "believe" that until I see him actually walk out on the pitch. In his playing kit that is, either at the start or as a substitute.

Edited by jw1739

'Fraid I won't "believe" that until I see him actually walk out on the pitch. In his playing kit that is, either at the start or as a substitute.

You mean walk out without stumbling and breaking his leg and wrist?

Playing FIFA, MH v AU.

Harry scores around 17th minute, Heart keep peppering but cant convert, Gerhardt (RB) red card ~60 mins, Heart stay in control despite the man down, theb Fabio Ferreira gets in behind on the right and scores 90th minute, on restart Carrusca steals it off Dugandzic's feet, Aziz tackles and puts it out to touch, long throw over Wieleart's head, Osama Malik gets on to it and scores tin-ass goal with last kick of the game (90'+4).

Heart 1 - United 2, the irony.

Not saying this has any baring on the game whatsoever, just thought I'd share and waste your time. :up:

• Like 3

Playing FIFA, MH v AU.

Harry scores around 17th minute, Heart keep peppering but cant convert, Gerhardt (RB) red card ~60 mins, Heart stay in control despite the man down, theb Fabio Ferreira gets in behind on the right and scores 90th minute, on restart Carrusca steals it off Dugandzic's feet, Aziz tackles and puts it out to touch, long throw over Wieleart's head, Osama Malik gets on to it and scores tin-ass goal with last kick of the game (90'+4).

Heart 1 - United 2, the irony.

Not saying this has any baring on the game whatsoever, just thought I'd share and waste your time. :up:

Even the algorithms in FIFA have us sussed. Send JA a copy! 

• Like 1

I legit had a dream about this game last night... there were about 4000 people there, Yarraside's backs were turned to the game for the whole first half before everyone went crazy and Simon Hill commented on the discontent from Heart fans and we ended up losing 2-0 with a Korean player scoring a brace for Adelaide (I love that Adelaide have no Korean players, ruins any chance of my prophecy actually occurring) :(

Aloisi was subsequently sacked though so hopefully that part of my dream becomes reality!

I dream about naked ladies

• Like 2

I legit had a dream about this game last night... there were about 4000 people there, Yarraside's backs were turned to the game for the whole first half before everyone went crazy and Simon Hill commented on the discontent from Heart fans and we ended up losing 2-0 with a Korean player scoring a brace for Adelaide (I love that Adelaide have no Korean players, ruins any chance of my prophecy actually occurring) :(

Aloisi was subsequently sacked though so hopefully that part of my dream becomes reality!

Some say reality is opposite to your dreams.....

I think you're in trouble!

Perhaps the naked ladies were up in the back row of GA and that's why YS had their backs turned to the pitch?

Kewell to score one and assist one. We'll win 2-1.

JA will get more time and say that the injury of Kewell was the problem and that having him back is the solution. Subsequently, Harry gets injured on the Thursday before the WSW game for what will originally be predicted as 2 weeks.

We'll lose the 2 away games in WSW/Sydney then Harry's injury will get more severe and will be out till January. Then JA will convince everyone that we can win with Kewell so "imagine how good we'd be with both HK and Engelaar" so his sacking will be delayed until the pair returns.

We'll remain with just that one win against Adelaide before they return in January against Newcastle at home on the 17th which will give us the last 13 games of the season to win and make the finals. 5th minute of the NUJ games; Engelaar breaks his leg and Kewell pulls his hamstring while he kicks the ball out of play so the physio can attend Engelaar. Season over. Aloisi gets sacked the Monday after and we win the last 12 games of the season and make sixth position.

We beat the Tards (third) in the first final then play CCM before reaching the final in Brisbane. We win the Championship.

Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi ready to soak up the pressure against Adelaide United

Val Migliaccio   Herald Sun   November 29, 2013

JOHN Aloisi says lining up for that famous penalty kick in 2005 for the Socceroos is the sort of pressure he has become accustomed to.

But the Adelaide-born former Socceroo and current Melbourne Heart boss says there's no denying that he's under pressure to beat Adelaide United at AAMI Park on Sunday.

Heart hasn't won an A-League game since beating Sydney FC 3-1 in February.

"That pressure as a player has put me in good stead as a coach,'' Aloisi said.

"That (Socceroos) penalty was massive but also I have been involved in relegation battles that's life or death where you've lost five on the trot and all of a sudden you need to beat Real Madrid at home to stay in touch or face relegation.

"I wanted to succeed as a player and that's no different as a coach.

"I can't do much about the outside pressure it's the processes we need to get right."

Adelaide, however, has had the knack of giving two under fire bosses breathing room this season.

Newcastle Jets boss Gary van Egmond and Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat were both under critics' scrutiny before meeting Adelaide but wins over the Reds (2-1) and (3-0) has cut those chiefs some slack.

But Aloisi believes Heart is a win away from turning its fortunes around.

"We have to start getting results and this is a massive game for us,'' Aloisi said.

"Everyone is disappointed the entire club, our members, no one wants to be in this position but we are and we need to stick together.

"We have to fight our way out of it and we do know a win can change things very quickly."

Adelaide, however, has impressed Aloisi at least in the sense that when the ball is kept the Reds can do it for long periods to frustrate the opposition.

But Adelaide must also be wary of Heart's Maltese international striker Michael Mifsud.

Mifsud is also due to break his A-League goals duck given "The Mosquito'' has come close this season.

And Aloisi is not one to whinge.

He didn't want to make excuses for his side's slump despite that fact he has lost seven of his ideal starting XI players to injury including Orlando Enegelaar (fractured tibia), Patrick Kisnorbo (knee), Harry Kewell (whiplash and ankle), Dylan Macallister (hamstring) and Jonatan Germano (hamstring and calf), Nick Kalmar (quad and calf) and Andrea Migliorini (knee) over the course of the season.

Aloisi, however, said Kewell would probably play a role off the bench.

"It's still not 100 per cent (Kewell's ankle) but the swelling has gone down,'' Aloisi said.

"Now it's just making sure the ankle is strong and that's he is confident on it.

"Hopefully he'll be available but probably unlikely to start."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-coach-john-aloisi-ready-to-soak-up-the-pressure-against-adelaide-united/story-fnk6rlg0-1226771693334

Edited by Murfy1

I BELIEVE we're gonna win on Sunday probably coz The Pissants will be paralysed by the thought of losing to us LOL

"The heat may well be on both teams going into the game, but one thing Zullo is not about to start contemplating is the scenario of becoming the first team to be beaten by the Heart in Season 9."

http://www.adelaidereds.com.au/news/p194.aspx

Would prefer to see Mifsud on the bench. If they sack Aloisi and appoint me, I would play Willo up front ahead of Mifsud.

Don't want you as manager then... Willows a shite striker. Yes you can argue he's our leading scorer from 2 tap ins but he is absolute dog shite.

Actually wouldn't mind if Kalmar played a false 9 role just holding the ball up, with the wingers playing more narrow for the offload from Kalmar.

Understood he's not a striker, just seems the only one who's able to perform the ever impressive "look up and search for options" manoeuvre...

• Like 1

Redmayne

Walker/Hoff - Kisnorbo  -  Robbie - Behich

Murdocca     -   Migs

Williams -                                - Garuccio

GolGol   -  Mifsud

Tando - PaddyG/Vranks - Mauk - Ramsey - Duga/Kalmar/Retre

No room for who ver doesnt play Hoff Jez on bench, preferably id play Jez. would like to see Vrankovic get some minutes but paddy G offers more flexibility. would be nice to put Kewell into Miglorini's position but that just wont happen. Garuccio needs a start. Williams has earned his spot for now IMO, the guy puts in 10 times more than anyone else in the squad. not his fault he's not a #10.

GolGol & MM along side eachother to playoff eachother. that'd be my team.

• Like 1