Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Aloisi Farewell game: Melbourne v Adelaide, Sunday 5pm

LR9

JA if we win on Sunday:

'See i told you when we got kewell back everything would be alright, trust in me, we're going to win the league!'

JA if we lose on Sunday:

'Well we have a lot if injuries and Orlandos out, so we just have to stay positive. I thought we put in a really good effort though'

A-League preview: Melbourne Heart vs Adelaide United

By Iain Strachan Goal.com

Head-to-head:

Played: 9, Wins: Heart 2, Adelaide 5, Draws: 2

Previous encounter:

Heart 0-2 Adelaide, March 3 2013

Form:

Past five matches:

Heart: LLLLL

Adelaide: LDLLL

The Game:

If Adelaide United need cheering up (and they do), they have only to inspect the state of their opponents this weekend. Both coaches have been preaching a message that performances have been positive, chances are being created and the results are just around the corner. In Adelaide's case, that could still be true. 

To give Josep Gombau and his possession-based approach the benefit of the doubt, the Reds have had a bit of a tough run lately. Two games against arch-rivals Melbourne Victory in the space of five rounds, away matches against grand finalists Western Sydney and Central Coast in successive weeks, as well as the long, draining trip to play Perth in WA. True, a loss at home to the previously out-of-form Newcastle Jets was disappointing, and they should have done better against the 10 men of Victory last time out. But Adelaide continue to move the ball well, and any team which controls possession has a chance of converting that statistical dominance into goals and wins. They need to come soon though, before the pressure becomes too much for a manager who keeps insisting the process is his priority.

As for Heart, in the last two weeks the spells of encouraging football and the number of chances being created and not taken have become fewer and fewer, leaving embattled coach John Aloisi clutching at straws as he attempts to explain the nightmare run and seek to turn the team's season around. At just about any other club in the league, Aloisi would have been axed by now, with the Heart's financial constraints and default low expectations keeping him in the job. But even they have limits as to what they can endure, meaning it will soon be a case of now or never if a revival is to take place without a change in the dugout.

The big issue:

Heart – What isn't an issue for the Heart at this point? They need to show more spirit and determination if they really believe in Aloisi's message, and they also have to make better decisions and execute skill-sets more effectively all over the pitch for results to improve. The ball needs to be moved more quickly and with more accuracy in the final third if they are to breach opposing defences with the frequency required to win matches.

Adelaide – Similar attacking problems to their opponents this weekend, although not as acute. Adelaide pass the ball nicely, and then do nothing with it in the final third. They have bags of talent in that department, with Jeronimo Neumann, Marcelo Carrusca, Fabio Ferreira and Bruce Djite all capable of finding the back of the net. But something hasn't clicked in Gombau's attacking game-plan yet. Worryingly, they've also started shipping goals at the other end. Reversing the flow is crucial for a season that promised so much back in Round 1 to get finally off the ground. 

The game breaker: 

Harry Kewell - the Heart's captain and playmaker hasn't been seen since Round 1 due to a whiplash injury and then a rolled ankle. Despite his poor injury record in recent years, Aloisi built his formation around the veteran forward and put enormous faith in his ability to lead by example, create goals and set the tempo. They have been lost without him. Now Kewell, expected to return to fitness this weekend, has to repay his coach. The visit of Adelaide is the first opportunity, but it will take a consistent run from the former Socceroo star to rescue his team's campaign.

Prediction: Melbourne Heart 1-2 Adelaide United

Gombau's uncertain players will not receive a better opportunity than this to prove they have absorbed the Spaniard's tactics and can implement his desired strategy. If they can't get it right against a woeful Heart, it could be a long season ahead for the Reds. Heart meanwhile also have a decent chance to finally come good. They are on home soil, and facing a club which haven't won since the opening weekend. Kewell is expected to be back, while striker Michael Mifsud has had plenty of time to settle in, and must start scoring soon. It is unlikely to be easy on the eye at AAMI Park on Sunday, but with jobs potentially on the line, this match is certain to be morbidly fascinating.

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/league-preview-melbourne-heart-v-adelaide-united-052900023--spt.html

I agree, a win against a struggling side like Adelaide at home means nothing. Hopefully the club understands that. However, it looks like we're tipped to lose this, and I think the pundits are probably right to tip against us, so Aloisi probably won't get a reprieve. 

I really wish Aloisi would play a youthful team in an attacking manner, but if last week's match is any indication that won't happen. Aloisi scapegoated Kalmar and Walker after the Sydney match and dropped them against Newcastle, and I reckon Aloisi will keep hoping that his older players like Kisnorbo, Gerhardt and Kewell can turn things around (to be fair he did play Mebrahtu in place of Mifsud, but that was probably because Mifsud played mid-week).

I expect Aloisi to march on ahead with the same tactics and largely the same players that have gotten him nowhere so far.

Adelaide copped a few goals on the counter against victory, which I dare say will further convince aloisi of the long ball quick counter play. But in saying that I'd say this is our best chance of winning cause aloisis gameplay will actually be a near perfect fit to the oppositions gameplay. It's gonna be winning ugly football 101 this weekend ladies and gents, if we win at all that is.

Carusca to team up with Jeronimo to score one and assist each-other's goals. Gerhardt (right back) to be sent off after giving away a penalty. Of course, this week Cirio will convert.

Harry Kewell to come on at 62nd minute to salvage a draw only to do a hammy because he wasn't match fit and will announce his retirement the next day together with Aloisi's sacking announcement.

Heart 0 - 3 AUFC.

• Like 1

Carusca to team up with Jeronimo to score one and assist each-other's goals. Gerhardt (right back) to be sent off after giving away a penalty. Of course, this week Cirio will convert.

Harry Kewell to come on at 62nd minute to salvage a draw only to do a hammy because he wasn't match fit and will announce his retirement the next day together with Aloisi's sacking announcement.

Heart 0 - 3 AUFC.

I had a chuckle. Then I realised it was because it had a ring of truth about it.

I think this is JA's final chance. Anything less than a convincing win and he is gone. Almost two fucking years without an away win and two bloody points from seven matches is unacceptable.

Walker needs to start at RB.

Kalmar needs to play as the number ten and be given creative freedom.

Williams needs to stop disappointing us.

Mebrahtu needs to get out of first gear more often.

Murdocca needs to be the actual link between defence and offence.

Migliorini needs to be better, in every way. Tough I know, but unfortunately, true.

Kis and Rob MUST communicate and sort out the backline from the first minute. Adelaide have some crafty players who will undoubtedly kill our midfield if we don't mark them.

The closer we get to Sunday the more I'm getting excited about attending this landmark game LOL. Hopefully it will officially be the worst every HAL game ever played and JA and Gumby will have the full support of their boards on Monday before being sacked on Tuesday. That'll keep us in the media spotlight ;)

Heart 0 - 3 AUFC.

Laugh at this, but in a way it is quite prophetic

After reading this thread, I wonder how many folks here will be more pleased than disappointed if we lose 5-0? Similarly, how many folks will be more disappointed than pleased should we win 1-0 or 2-1? 

Im gonna cop it after i sayd this, but i just cant understand why anyone would want they're side to lose.

No matter how much i want change in management, i just cant get my head around sacrificing a loss for that cause.

I want fuckin see a win so i can start the bloody walk into work on a monday feeling good about the fact my side are on the winners list.

Plus the misses just cant handle my mood swing after a loss anymore lol

• Like 3

I think this is JA's final chance. Anything less than a convincing win and he is gone. Almost two fucking years without an away win and two bloody points from seven matches is unacceptable.

In response to your ideas, JAs thinking would probably be something like this...

Walker needs to start at RB. "Walker is too much of a risk because he likes to push forward, which dangerously exposes the right hand wing. And theres no need for such a player when we're going to counter quickly with longer balls. That and its a bit risky utilising such a young player. Gerhardt is a safer option, and this way of playing comes naturally to him."

Kalmar needs to play as the number ten and be given creative freedom. "Why have a creative mid when we need to break quickly on the counter? We need speed not creativity in our midfield."

Williams needs to stop disappointing us. "Williams is a perfect number 10 because of his speed and ability to run at defenders. Doesnt matter that hes our only real goal scorer and was in a number 9 position at the time. Hes perfect at number 10 until Harry gets back, and then we'll start winning."

Mebrahtu needs to get out of first gear more often. "I dont see any problems with golgols intensity, not sure what everyones going on about?" :huh:

Murdocca needs to be the actual link between defence and offence."Thats true he is a hard worker."

Migliorini needs to be better, in every way. Tough I know, but unfortunately, true. He's doing the best he can until Engelaar ruturns and then we'll start winning."

Kis and Rob MUST communicate and sort out the backline from the first minute. Adelaide have some crafty players who will undoubtedly kill our midfield if we don't mark them. "The boys have been solid so far this season, but its a shame they have cost us a few penalties. Thats been our undoing in defense this season and has cost us some results, but I have full faith with Kisnorbo, Weilaert."

was wondering if this might be a good chant for the second half (with the first half for the sit down and all)

i've put it in the chants section too, but thought forum might be a little better / more popular in terms of the chant either getting trackion or shot down.

it is sung to When Johnny Comes Marching Home (the same one as the Alex Terra chant)

Aloisi Out

he came to coach with much promise, he did, he did

he's coached for 18 months and he is shit, is shit

he plays it long with no idea,

he gives opponents nothing to fear,

time to piss off, Aloisi Out, Aloisi Out

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

time to piss off, Aloisi Out, Aloisi Out

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

After reading this thread, I wonder how many folks here will be more pleased than disappointed if we lose 5-0? Similarly, how many folks will be more disappointed than pleased should we win 1-0 or 2-1? 

Im gonna cop it after i sayd this, but i just cant understand why anyone would want they're side to lose.

No matter how much i want change in management, i just cant get my head around sacrificing a loss for that cause.

I want fuckin see a win so i can start the bloody walk into work on a monday feeling good about the fact my side are on the winners list.

Plus the misses just cant handle my mood swing after a loss anymore lol

I dont want us to lose either but the feelings everyone has are justified to a point.

L D L W D L L L W L D D W L L L W W L W L L W L W L L L L L L L D L D D L L L L L

See throughout the very first half of the season last year we had wins every 4-5 games? This inevitbaly extends the chances of JA staying on. We might win on Sunday, which will extend JAs time at Heart for another 2+ games and then he might have a win again which will once again extend his time here. See where this is going? Before you know it we have last season or worse all over again. It slips right past you before you know it. That is why no one wants to take that chance this time, and its also why people want the loss, to put the nail in the coffin, leave no doubt we need someone else.

• Like 1

I legit had a dream about this game last night... there were about 4000 people there, Yarraside's backs were turned to the game for the whole first half before everyone went crazy and Simon Hill commented on the discontent from Heart fans and we ended up losing 2-0 with a Korean player scoring a brace for Adelaide (I love that Adelaide have no Korean players, ruins any chance of my prophecy actually occurring)  :(

Aloisi was subsequently sacked though so hopefully that part of my dream becomes reality!

I legit had a dream about this game last night... there were about 4000 people there, Yarraside's backs were turned to the game for the whole first half before everyone went crazy and Simon Hill commented on the discontent from Heart fans and we ended up losing 2-0 with a Korean player scoring a brace for Adelaide (I love that Adelaide have no Korean players, ruins any chance of my prophecy actually occurring) :(

Aloisi was subsequently sacked though so hopefully that part of my dream becomes reality!

In my experience with dreams,totally opposite happens to what I dreamed about.

Hope I'm wrong here or it will be 2:0 win to us and aloisi will stay longer.

• Like 2

even a draw will be enough for the this Board to keep him for another 7 game trial

Lol

This trial begun before first derby last season

Who continues to trial something that has been a failure longer then Heart's board????

Communist party and their ideology is the only thing that comes to mind ATM

• Like 1