Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

• 1 month later...

Idk what our actual plans are, but feel like we need a new, long term CB in the january transfer market. With an average age of 32, all three of our regular CB's are liable to be injured at any given point, seems like a recipe for disaster. You can't trust Nuno, I love Curtis Good but at the moment he's a shadow of his former self, and Souprayen is Souprayen. I know we have Jordon Hall, but I feel like if there was every any real chance of him breaking into the team, it'd have happened by now.

Do your thing Petrillo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Idk what our actual plans are, but feel like we need a new, long term CB in the january transfer market. With an average age of 32, all three of our regular CB's are liable to be injured at any given point, seems like a recipe for disaster. You can't trust Nuno, I love Curtis Good but at the moment he's a shadow of his former self, and Souprayen is Souprayen. I know we have Jordon Hall, but I feel like if there was every any real chance of him breaking into the team, it'd have happened by now.

Do your thing Petrillo

IMO you're correct in your thinking, but the problem will be the cap. Good, Reis, and Hall have contracts that expire at the end of the season, and personally I don't really see why we had to sign Souprayen until the end of next season.

If you look at the squad as a whole you will see that we could be up for another major rebuild at the end of this season. Leckie, Jmac, Jakolis, Nabbout, Natel all have contracts expiring, plus Antonis, Sakhi and Young.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, IssySG said:

Because if we were going to acknowledge every player who came through the club at one point, he’d be on it.

I know what you are saying, but I am saying I don't think it can be said he "came through the club", such that regardless of whether the list was of ex-city players or just our "products" I don't think he should be on either list.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Ben Mazzeo signed a senior contract to 26-27. Looks like he was a city fan as a youngster as well

Of the youngsters so far seen this season he seems to have the most upside and maybe Caputo.

What ever happened to Sulemani and Durakovic as they both were highly regarded??

MELBOURNE CITY PLAYING SQUAD 2023-24                                  16 January 2024

Goalkeepers.:                                              Until                                        Club 
1    Jamie YOUNG*                               30/6/24                           4/7/23
40  James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S)*      30/6/27                            17/10/23

33  Patrick BEACH                               30/6/26                           23/6/2
Defenders:
22  Curtis GOOD*                                 30/6/24                           11/6/21  
2    Scott GALLOWAY                           30/6/25                            2/10/21
4    Nuno REIS (V)*                               30/6/24                            17/6/21
25  Callum TALBOT                              30/6/25                             24/5/22
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)               30/6/25                             10/7/23
16  Aziz BEHICH                                   30/6/25                             6/8/23

18  Jordon HALL*                                 30/6/24                             9/8/23

--   Harry POLITIDIS                             30/6/24                            25/9/23
Midfielders:
10   Tolgay ARSLAN (V)                        30/6/25                            15/7/23
39   Emin DURAKOVIC (S)                    30/6/26                            22/6/23
34   Arion SULEMANI (S)                      30/6/26                            22/6/23
35   Zane SCHREIBER                           30/6/26                            23/6/23
21  Alessandro LOPANE                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 23/6/23
6    Steven UGARKOVIC                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 30/6/23
17  Terry ANTONIS*                              30/6/24                             6/7/23
37  Max CAPUTO                                  30/6/26                             13/7/23
8    Hamza SAKHI (V)                            30/6/25                             11/1/24

Forwards:
9    Jamie MacLAREN*                         30/6/24                              23/9/21
15  Andrew NABBOUT*                        30/6/24                              10/6/21
7    Mathew LECKIE *                           30/6/24                               5/6/21

44  Marin JAKOLIS (L)*                        30/6/24                               2/8/23
--   Leo NATEL (V,L)*                            30/6/24                              15/9/23
--   Ben MAZZEO                                   30/6/26 (1-season ext. trigger) 16/1/24
* Denotes player out of contract end this season

Edited by jw1739

Hoping we can resign Macca & Nabbout, would be nice if we can pay a transfer fee for Jakolis as well.

Unsure on Leckie right now, excellent player but is very injury prone and takes up a marquee slot.

My question is why is the club starting to re-sign players permanently when we don't have a manager yet?

Unless they just haven't been announced but what if the new manager comes in and has a completely different plan?

9 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Hoping we can resign Macca & Nabbout, would be nice if we can pay a transfer fee for Jakolis as well.

Unsure on Leckie right now, excellent player but is very injury prone and takes up a marquee slot.

My question is why is the club starting to re-sign players permanently when we don't have a manager yet?

Unless they just haven't been announced but what if the new manager comes in and has a completely different plan?

Sometimes it is hard to see a direction isn't it? I'm always puzzled why we don't have a ready-made coach somewhere in the CFG set-up ready to step up to the City top job. But it doesn't seem to work that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sometimes it is hard to see a direction isn't it? I'm always puzzled why we don't have a ready-made coach somewhere in the CFG set-up ready to step up to the City top job. But it doesn't seem to work that way.

My guess right now is either PK comes back or Dario becomes Head Coach, can't see the club bringing in someone international to be honest.

The only two players that City have signed are Mazzeo and Sakhi. The former is not a bad punt because of his age and the latter is coming on to his own now that he is playing as a #6. The lack of a long term coach is a concern but I would prefer Dario ahead of PK.

I hope that the club will continue with Vidmar until the end of the season and then decide on the coaching team going forward. I would suggest that at this point we need continuity to take the club though a rebuild but also now this shemozzle with APL. I don't blame players who might feel uncertain about their futures. I went through a restructure with one large company I worked for, and it is extremely unsettling. Players and the staff are going to give of their best when they are as confident as they can be (in a contract-type environment) of their security. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I hope that the club will continue with Vidmar until the end of the season and then decide on the coaching team going forward. I would suggest that at this point we need continuity to take the club though a rebuild but also now this shemozzle with APL. I don't blame players who might feel uncertain about their futures. I went through a restructure with one large company I worked for, and it is extremely unsettling. Players and the staff are going to give of their best when they are as confident as they can be (in a contract-type environment) of their security. 

Exactly, who knows what happens with the salary cap, can't see them reducing it cause that would just cause an exodus. Think it is more likely they just scrap it and tell clubs to spend what they want, if a club bankrupts themselves, tough luck. Don't overspend more than what you are capable of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Exactly, who knows what happens with the salary cap, can't see them reducing it cause that would just cause an exodus. Think it is more likely they just scrap it and tell clubs to spend what they want, if a club bankrupts themselves, tough luck. Don't overspend more than what you are capable of.

TBH I think this would be the way to go. At the moment there is not only a maximum to the cap, but a minimum! I think yes, spend what you like. Best way to learn financial responsibility. Not only that, best way to learn just where your sport really is, instead of relying on projections from junior registrations and deluding yourselves.

In the end I believe this approach will make the game stronger, not weaker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I think this would be the way to go. At the moment there is not only a maximum to the cap, but a minimum! I think yes, spend what you like. Best way to learn financial responsibility. Not only that, best way to learn just where your sport really is, instead of relying on projections from junior registrations and deluding yourselves.

In the end I believe this approach will make the game stronger, not weaker.

4 hours ago, Zanty said:

First all businesses make projections as to the next financial year's income. How the projections track over the year with income received is critical - wildly optimistic projections mean that the only result is going to be negative. Wildly pessimistic projections will lead to no one doing anything. We don't know what the projections are but my guess is that they would be tied to Paramount's viewing numbers. And I think that it is the latter's that are causing the red ink to flow.

Secondly, all broadcasting rights are predicated on a fixed number of clubs participating in the competition. Right now if a club goes bust, will there be another one to take over? Failure to comply with contractual obligations will bankrupt the A-League. I suspect that this is a motivation for the national second tier competition so that a club going bust will be supported to season's end and then relegated with another club being promoted.

Third, sports that don't have salary caps at either end, don't grow or don't last. The VFA was run along those lines with promotion and relegation. They have been extinct for about 30 years. The NSL? Seriously?

As I have said elsewhere, the problem is not a club issue (although some clubs are run better than others) but a league issue - starting with FFA and now with the APL.

I don't believe that the second tier league will last but hopefully it will last long enough for clubs like South Melbourne to be allowed to join. I don't have a problem with the NZ teams but I would like to see either Singaporean teams or Indonesian teams join in. Enough with the WU, Macarthurs and the like. It takes a long time to build grass root support.

Finally, the A-League needs to pressure Paramount to deliver a better viewing experience and instead of showing one free to air on Saturday evenings, they should make it Saturday and Sunday.

14 hours ago, NewConvert said:

First all businesses make projections as to the next financial year's income. How the projections track over the year with income received is critical - wildly optimistic projections mean that the only result is going to be negative. Wildly pessimistic projections will lead to no one doing anything. We don't know what the projections are but my guess is that they would be tied to Paramount's viewing numbers. And I think that it is the latter's that are causing the red ink to flow.

Secondly, all broadcasting rights are predicated on a fixed number of clubs participating in the competition. Right now if a club goes bust, will there be another one to take over? Failure to comply with contractual obligations will bankrupt the A-League. I suspect that this is a motivation for the national second tier competition so that a club going bust will be supported to season's end and then relegated with another club being promoted.

Third, sports that don't have salary caps at either end, don't grow or don't last. The VFA was run along those lines with promotion and relegation. They have been extinct for about 30 years. The NSL? Seriously?

As I have said elsewhere, the problem is not a club issue (although some clubs are run better than others) but a league issue - starting with FFA and now with the APL.

I don't believe that the second tier league will last but hopefully it will last long enough for clubs like South Melbourne to be allowed to join. I don't have a problem with the NZ teams but I would like to see either Singaporean teams or Indonesian teams join in. Enough with the WU, Macarthurs and the like. It takes a long time to build grass root support.

Finally, the A-League needs to pressure Paramount to deliver a better viewing experience and instead of showing one free to air on Saturday evenings, they should make it Saturday and Sunday.

Not that anyone would take any notice of me, but I have before floated the idea of a South-East Asian Super League (or something like that) for the most financially secure clubs in our region. The reserve teams of those clubs then participate in their respective national competitions.

But, as demonstrated in Europe, unless there is a mechanism linking this league to the national competitions, then there is likely to be a reaction against such a proposal unless there are clear and fair rules for promotion and relegation (entry and removal).

Not the same thing, but in The Netherlands for example, there are several "Jong" teams playing in the Eerste Division while their senior sides are in the Eredivisie. The rules obviously allow this to work.

If our League really is in crisis, then I hope that all possibilities are being looked at.

• Like 1

Refresh my memory please. What is the rule about having a certain number of U23 players in the matchday squad? Isn't it 3? Sydney were penalised for breaking this rule last season(?)

Stupid rule, but it can explain why there are  players on the bench who won't get minutes.

Another point is how come as soon as a player signs a contract they have a stinker?

• 2 weeks later...

MELBOURNE CITY PLAYING SQUAD 2023-24                                  31 January 2024

Goalkeepers.:                                              Until                                        Club 
1    Jamie YOUNG*                               30/6/24                           4/7/23
40  James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S)*      30/6/27                            17/10/23

33  Patrick BEACH                               30/6/26                           23/6/2
Defenders:
22  Curtis GOOD*                                 30/6/24                           11/6/21  
2    Scott GALLOWAY                           30/6/25                            2/10/21
4    Nuno REIS (V)*                               30/6/24                            17/6/21
25  Callum TALBOT                              30/6/25                             24/5/22
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)               30/6/25                             10/7/23
16  Aziz BEHICH                                   30/6/25 (Out on loan to Al Nassr) 31/1/24 

18  Jordon HALL*                                 30/6/24                             9/8/23

--   Harry POLITIDIS                             30/6/24                            25/9/23
Midfielders:
10   Tolgay ARSLAN (V)                        30/6/25                            15/7/23
39   Emin DURAKOVIC (S)                    30/6/26                            22/6/23
34   Arion SULEMANI (S)                      30/6/26                            22/6/23
35   Zane SCHREIBER                           30/6/26                            23/6/23
21  Alessandro LOPANE                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 23/6/23
6    Steven UGARKOVIC                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 30/6/23
17  Terry ANTONIS*                              30/6/24                             6/7/23
37  Max CAPUTO                                  30/6/26                             13/7/23
8   James JEGGO                                  30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 31/1/24

Forwards:
9    Jamie MacLAREN*                         30/6/24                              23/9/21
15  Andrew NABBOUT*                        30/6/24                              10/6/21
7    Mathew LECKIE *                           30/6/24                               5/6/21

44  Marin JAKOLIS (L)*                        30/6/24                               2/8/23
--   Leo NATEL (V,L)*                            30/6/24                              15/9/23
--   Ben MAZZEO                                   30/6/26 (1-season ext. trigger) 16/1/24

MELBOURNE CITY PLAYING SQUAD 2023-24                                  1 February 2024

Goalkeepers.:                                              Until                                        Club 
1    Jamie YOUNG*                               30/6/24                           4/7/23
40  James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S)*      30/6/27                            17/10/23

33  Patrick BEACH                               30/6/26                           23/6/2
Defenders:
22  Curtis GOOD*                                 30/6/24                           11/6/21  
16  Aziz BEHICH                                   30/6/25 (On loan to Al-Nassr) 31/1/24 

--   Harry POLITIDIS                             30/6/24                            25/9/23
Midfielders:
10   Tolgay ARSLAN (V)                        30/6/25                            15/7/23
39   Emin DURAKOVIC (S)                    30/6/26                            22/6/23
34   Arion SULEMANI (S)                      30/6/26                            22/6/23
35   Zane SCHREIBER                           30/6/26                            23/6/23
21  Alessandro LOPANE                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 23/6/23
6    Steven UGARKOVIC                        30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 30/6/23
17  Terry ANTONIS*                              30/6/24                             6/7/23
8   James JEGGO                                  30/6/25 (1 season ext. option) 31/1/24

Forwards:
15  Andrew NABBOUT*                        30/6/24                              10/6/21

44  Marin JAKOLIS (L)*                        30/6/24                               2/8/23
--   Leo NATEL (V,L)*                            30/6/24                              15/9/23
--   Marco TILIO (L)*                              30/6/24                              1/2/24

Edited by jw1739

1 minute ago, Tommykins said:

Shouldn't even update it JW - just creating more work for yourself as it always means another signing.

Yes, I did it again!
If only I could do it on EPL Fantasy and the Stock Market...

Edited by jw1739
  • Haha 2

IMO a useful exercise is to look through the squad player by player.

I did this for Nuno Reis and Mat Leckie. Just A-League starts for the past three seasons.
Reis:
2021/22: 17 starts
2022/23: 11 starts
2023/24 so far: 5 starts

Leckie:
2021/22: 18 starts
2022/23: 16 starts
2023/24 so far: 1 start

Interesting numbers I think. Both these players are 33.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO a useful exercise is to look through the squad player by player.

I did this for Nuno Reis and Mat Leckie. Just A-League starts for the past three seasons.
Reis:
2021/22: 17 starts
2022/23: 11 starts
2023/24 so far: 5 starts

Leckie:
2021/22: 18 starts
2022/23: 16 starts
2023/24 so far: 1 start

Interesting numbers I think. Both these players are 33.

Both likely to not be here next season. Leckie due to retirement, Nuno due to being a spud

• 2 weeks later...