Melbourne Football

Current squad

jw1739

So, at this stage, 25th September 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
1    Jamie YOUNG

40 James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 
33  Patrick BEACH 

Defenders.
22  Curtis GOOD 
2    Scott GALLOWAY
4    Nuno REIS (V)
25  Callum TALBOT
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)
16  Aziz BEHICH
18  Jordon HALL
--   Harry POLITIDIS

Midfielders.
10  Tolgay ARSLAN (V)
39  Emin DURAKOVIC (S)
34  Arion SULEMANI (S)
35  Zane SCHREIBER
21  Alessandro LOPANE
6    Steven UGARKOVIC 
17  Terry ANTONIS
37  Max CAPUTO
8    Hamza SAKHI (V, L)

Forwards.
9   Jamie MacLAREN 
15  Andrew NABBOUT Injured for entire season
7    Mathew LECKIE 

44 Marin JAKOLIS (L)
--   Leo NATEL (V,L)

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So, at this stage, 18th August 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
1    Jamie YOUNG

33  Patrick BEACH 

Defenders.
22  Curtis GOOD 
2    Scott GALLOWAY
4    Nuno REIS (V)
25  Callum TALBOT
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)
16  Aziz BEHICH
18  Jordon HALL

Midfielders.
10  Tolgay ARSLAN (V)
39  Emin DURAKOVIC (S)
34  Arion SULEMANI (S)
35  Zane SCHREIBER
21  Alessandro LOPANE
6    Steven UGARKOVIC 
17  Terry ANTONIS
37  Max CAPUTO
--   Hamza SAKHI (V, L)

Forwards.
9   Jamie MacLAREN 
15  Andrew NABBOUT
7    Mathew LECKIE 

44 Marin JAKOLIS (L)

Sulemani/Caputo are both centre forwards

Feel like we still need a centre back and a backup winger

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zanty said:

Sulemani/Caputo are both centre forwards

Feel like we still need a centre back and a backup winger

So far all the rumours have, I think, been spot on. If that continues then we have two more Australians to sign. Although I suspect that we're expecting goals from the trio of Jakolis, Arslan and Sakhi, I agree that we need another forward to convert the many chances we create but go begging. The defence was in all sorts of bother against Oakleigh and I agree, it needs stiffening up.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So far all the rumours have, I think, been spot on. If that continues then we have two more Australians to sign. Although I suspect that we're expecting goals from the trio of Jakolis, Arslan and Sakhi, I agree that we need another forward to convert the many chances we create but go begging. The defence was in all sorts of bother against Oakleigh and I agree, it needs stiffening up.

from the 61 goals we scored last season, a combined 18 came from Tilio (predominantly a winger), van der Venne (attacking / central mid) and O'Neill (holding mid).  between Jakolis, Arslan and Sakhi, IMO we have replaced those three well enough to match (if not beat) our goals tally from last season.  the big challenge will be keeping them fit (as we saw last season when Leckie, van der Venne, etc) were out - that was when we really struggled.

i agree about the defence, it needs a bit of work.  Nuno's past it and despite his talent Behich isnt probably as quick as he once was.  the only thing I'd say is i thought Talbot started poorly last season before coming on leaps and bounds. i distinctly remember him getting butchered by the Phoenix wingers last year in the Australia cup (funnily enough since we play them again at the round of 16 stage). 

fingers crossed we can boolster the back a little more and then have the players settle quickly.

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

from the 61 goals we scored last season, a combined 18 came from Tilio (predominantly a winger), van der Venne (attacking / central mid) and O'Neill (holding mid).  between Jakolis, Arslan and Sakhi, IMO we have replaced those three well enough to match (if not beat) our goals tally from last season.  the big challenge will be keeping them fit (as we saw last season when Leckie, van der Venne, etc) were out - that was when we really struggled.

i agree about the defence, it needs a bit of work.  Nuno's past it and despite his talent Behich isnt probably as quick as he once was.  the only thing I'd say is i thought Talbot started poorly last season before coming on leaps and bounds. i distinctly remember him getting butchered by the Phoenix wingers last year in the Australia cup (funnily enough since we play them again at the round of 16 stage). 

fingers crossed we can boolster the back a little more and then have the players settle quickly.

I believe Tilio had 9 goals and 5 assists so not sure where you are getting 18 goals from? 

As for Jakolis replacing that output I would not be soo sure at this moment in time. He may not even start with potentially Nabbout being the starter...

If Leckie and Jmac are injury free then I think they'll be good for 25+ goals between them not including assists. 

Midfield is hard to judge, but early stage I get the feeling Arslan will have a better output of at least Berisha and may be better than Van Der Venne too. Other side of midfield is unknown at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised if Antonis has a bit of a rebound season after last season not working out for him.

Defence is going to be the Achilles heel but I'd still predict more clean sheets than last season...

17 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I believe Tilio had 9 goals and 5 assists so not sure where you are getting 18 goals from? 

As for Jakolis replacing that output I would not be soo sure at this moment in time. He may not even start with potentially Nabbout being the starter...

If Leckie and Jmac are injury free then I think they'll be good for 25+ goals between them not including assists. 

Midfield is hard to judge, but early stage I get the feeling Arslan will have a better output of at least Berisha and may be better than Van Der Venne too. Other side of midfield is unknown at this stage. Wouldn't be surprised if Antonis has a bit of a rebound season after last season not working out for him.

Defence is going to be the Achilles heel but I'd still predict more clean sheets than last season...

Matty said 18 come Tillio, VDV and AO... 

• 3 weeks later...

So with the unfortunate season ending injury to Nabbout our best 11 with bench is likely looking something like this?

Jmac

Leckie                           Jakolis

Arslan              Sakhi

Ugarkovic

Behich  Good  Nuno?  Talbot

Young

Bench: Antonis, Natel, Souprayen/Hall?, Caputo, Lopane, Nieuwenhuizen/Beach? Galloway

Has a bit of a could be alright or could be mediocre squad. But doens't look/feel like a great squad at this stage.

Edited by MHFC-FAN

9 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

So with the unfortunate season ending injury to Nabbout our best 11 with bench is likely looking something like this?

Jmac

Leckie                           Jakolis

Arslan              Sakhi

Ugarkovic

Behich  Good  Nuno?  Talbot

Young

Bench: Antonis, Natel, Souprayen/Hall?, Caputo, Lopane, Nieuwenhuizen/Beach? Galloway

Leckie is out for a while and having two visa players sitting on the bench doesn't make sense to me. Depending on what Natel actually brings I would say he's a strong contender to start on the wing as IMO Jakolis has been rather unproductive so far.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Leckie is out for a while and having two visa players sitting on the bench doesn't make sense to me. Depending on what Natel actually brings I would say he's a strong contender to start on the wing as IMO Jakolis has been rather unproductive so far.

Thought Leckie was likely to be ready for roughly the early rounds of the regular season? Obviously we don't know what Natel will bring to the table and how good his body(leg) and fitness will be. For now Jakolis would get the nod as he has at least been playing although maybe not convincingly well just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Update following the signing of Harry Politidis:

So, at this stage, 25th September 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
1    Jamie YOUNG

33  Patrick BEACH 

Defenders.
22  Curtis GOOD 
2    Scott GALLOWAY
4    Nuno REIS (V)
25  Callum TALBOT
26  Samuel SOUPRAYEN (V)
16  Aziz BEHICH
18  Jordon HALL
--   Harry POLITIDIS

Midfielders.
10  Tolgay ARSLAN (V)
39  Emin DURAKOVIC (S)
34  Arion SULEMANI (S)
35  Zane SCHREIBER
21  Alessandro LOPANE
6    Steven UGARKOVIC 
17  Terry ANTONIS
37  Max CAPUTO
8    Hamza SAKHI (V, L)

Forwards.
9   Jamie MacLAREN 
15  Andrew NABBOUT Injured for entire season
7    Mathew LECKIE 

44 Marin JAKOLIS (L)
--   Leo NATEL (V,L)

• 2 weeks later...

I will never understand why we see Curtis Edward Good get his full name on these things, but no other player.

Absolute fucking cow paddock of a pitch, too. Hopefully this is the game which allows Caputo to get more game time because we need another finisher up top and he's doing the business consistently now.

49 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Hopefully this is the game which allows Caputo to get more game time because we need another finisher up top and he's doing the business consistently now.

He's certainly looking like he has the natural ability of a promising striker! Certainly like what I've seen from him so far!

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t think so surely that deal was already in the works when Nabbout got injured?

I agree with you. Couldn't possibly be a replacement if you look at the timing.

Natel wasn't even named on the bench last night. Not sure that Petrillo's signings are any good this season. Are we even looking in Asia?

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t think so surely that deal was already in the works when Nabbout got injured?

Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce the signing of Brazilian winger, Leo Natel, on loan for season 2023/24.

Natel joins the Club on a one-year loan from Corinthians in Brazil’s Serie A, following a long-term injury to City forward, Andrew Nabbout

I actually agree with you but the article does make it sound like his a replacement 

15 minutes ago, citypool said:

Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce the signing of Brazilian winger, Leo Natel, on loan for season 2023/24.

Natel joins the Club on a one-year loan from Corinthians in Brazil’s Serie A, following a long-term injury to City forward, Andrew Nabbout

I actually agree with you but the article does make it sound like his a replacement 

It does. But I think it was coincidence, and then convenience. Visa players just don't arrive in the blink of an eyelid. The transfer has to go through with FIFA and here the Department of Home Affairs (Immigration) for visa purposes.

Either that, or Nabbout had been injured for some time because it takes time for FA or maybe now APL to approve the use of the injury replacement clause in the rules.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I am pretty sure Nabbout got injured about 10 days before Natel was announced

But he arrived pretty much on the day of announcement or do I have this wrong?

Work visa don’t get processed in 10 days.

And get a unfit player as a replacement when you are in the middle of an ACL whilst having your most influencial player out with injury?

In my opinion if Leo is indeed an injury replacement than it’s just bad short term business.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

And get a unfit player as a replacement when you are in the middle of an ACL whilst having your most influencial player out with injury?

In my opinion if Leo is indeed an injury replacement than it’s just bad short term business.

Believe he was announced on the 15th but arrived on the 18th/19th

I think it is short term loss for long term gain, Natel in theory should be ready for Round 1 with Leckie coming back hopefully Round 3 then the squad will look a lot more full

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

You're exactly right with your first point. Which means a medical and the other points made in terms of registration and visa etc - even getting here from South America. - all must have started before. I think at the time a search reveled that there were rumours a couple of days before the actual announcement, but still IMO not enough time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...