Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

One of the things I worry about with JVS is his commitment to the cause. You can see he has a fairly laid back style which is all well and good but to be a football manager for any side it pretty much has to consume 95% of your life. 

But at the same time I did read somewhere (forgive me for not having a source) that JVS left after his first stint because of a lack of ambition and support from the board. But due to the the owners coming in and an obvious increase in ambition, funds etc then he would be keen to stay on. I personally would prefer if we got a name from overseas and then kept on JVS as an assistant, DOF, Youth Development etc but would not complain if he stays on if the last few weeks are anything to go off by. 

Edited by RoyalHeart

Why does everyone have the impression that an oversea's coach whose never managed in a salary capped league is going to be the best option?

I'm genuinely curious.

everyone? i've seen very few opinions ITT that support that theory.

JVS was once a manager who'd never coached in a salary capped league and probably turned out the best option when we started (different circumstances maybe)

Why does everyone have the impression that an oversea's coach whose never managed in a salary capped league is going to be the best option?

I'm genuinely curious.

It won't automatically be better but there's a larger pool of experienced talent to draw from and most of the good local coaches are already contracted. As we can see with Gombau, AU didn't have to find a star to find a coach who would do well here, and this is his first season.

Edited by belaguttman

I'm genuinely curious.

It won't automatically be better but there's a larger pool of experienced talent to draw from and most of the good local coaches are already contracted. As we can see with Gombau, AU didn't have to find a star to find a coach who would do well here, and this is his first season.

I'm far more interested to see how AU will go next season , after a whole season of "learning" the Gombau method

I wouldn't say JVS is solely responsible for the Heart revival, either. But I'd say JVS is mainly or mostly responsible for our turnaround.

If you just look at the correlation between JVS' reign and Hearts results, it's hard to ignore the big positive influence he's had. This season we were winless in 12 (8 losses, 4 draws), winless in away matches for years and had never come from behind to win under Aloisi (about 23 games!). Since JVS took over, we've got 4 wins, 2 draws and a lone away loss to Perth, and JVS has overturned those other negative records completely. 

I don't think enough players have come back to fundamentally changes things, either. It should be remembered as well that Kewell played 4-5 games under JA, and we were still winless. Also, yesterday showed that Heart and JVS don't need Kewell (or Germano) to win. As for Engelaar, he only explains our last win, and was not significant in our first 3 (against the Jets he was subbed on when Heart was 2-1, and was not involved in the third goal. Against Sydney he got send off around the 33rd min and he missed the Perth match through suspension).

JVS has even got results despite the club releasing 2 players, Golgol and Macallister (It should be remembered that when Dmac was injured and unavailable JA called him a "quality senior player", along with Kalmar and Hoffman). The fact is JA just peddled excuses and described any player who was injured and unavailable as important; returning players haven't been that significant. JVS on the other hand has effectively changed thing around with nearly entirely the same players (and the question is would JA have gotten the same performances out of, say, Germano or Engelaar? It's very hard to believe so).

So for my money JVS mostly explains our resurgence, and the improving fitness of Engelaar and Kewell (until last round) was IMO probably the second most important factor, but a rather minor factor. Whilst I'd say luck has been next to a non-factor. For instance, whilst we probably had a fortunate finish or 2 yesterday, we were bound to win yesterday's match by at least 3 or 4 goals, given how we were playing (keeping the ball often, and creating many good chances).

I just find our turnaround to be a classic reminder of how important coaching is in football, and proof that Aloisi was woefully under-prepared to be a professional coach and evidence that JVS is a pretty capable coach at A-League level.

I think some people but might be under-estimating the difficulty of the turn around.  

We hadn't won for 17 games (and all those other stats we are trying to forget), the football was nothing short of abysmal and team morale appeared to be rock bottom.  To get them out of that malaise and start playing football again and believing in themselves would have been no easy task.  To be honest I thought it would take a lot longer, given how bad things had become.

Previously under JA plenty of people were saying we were losing because we had a terrible squad.  Now we are winning and it seems now we are hearing its (still) nothing to do with the coach.  All I know is I used to watch a team that were obviously the worst in the league, now I see the exact same players and they look like they are up there with the best in the league.  The main difference is the style of play - now it looks like football and who is responsible for the style of play?       

Only a quality coach could have achieved what we are seeing.

Regarding the players confidence being rock bottom I don't think it was. I think a lot of those players were too experienced to believe the poor results were 100% their fault. I reckon many of the players would have placed quite a bit of blame on JA, so when jvs came in they were ready to start playing proper football.

Still not sold on him being in charge next Season...

But JVS giving Paddy G the personal assignment to take Carlos out of the match is exactly the type of coaching I was asking for when JA was doing the same crap week in week out no matter who the opponent in front of us was...

I'm genuinely curious.

I'm far more interested to see how AU will go next season , after a whole season of "learning" the Gombau method

Bela Guttman always had his 3 year rule: 1st year to build the club, second year success, then go somewhere else for the third year

• Like 1

Jvs policy on youth v aged players:

"We had (Michael) Beauchamp last year and he made the same mistakes as Good and he's 30, so I'd rather play a young player who has more chance to improve and go on," van't Schip said.

And thought I'd throw this in as well.

Club chairman Peter Sidwell was full of praise for the Dutchman, saying: "To say we're grateful is a massive understatement. When you set up a team from nothing and are given very little to do so, it's a fantastic achievement that John has been able to put this club in this condition at this time."

I would have no problems with the owners going out and looking for a new coach whilst keeping JVS as a 'plan b' as so to speak.

While he wouldn't be my first choice, if he can keep this form up, i would have no problem with him as our coach next season, as long as we exhausted every avenue in finding someone better

Edited by kingofhearts

I don't think we have to worry too much. I get the feeling with these new owners if jvs is chosen then that means that they believe he is the right person to take us to Asia. Either way I'm sure we will be in good hands.

Yes.

I've been thinking that he might be in the running for something like a Director of Football? One of things the City Football Group brings is the opportunity for coaching and player pathways. JvS as DoF with overall responsibility for our Academy, player development, coaching...regularly getting together with Reyna and Begiristain, Pelligini, Kreis, Viera, Marwood...

Exciting times ahead.

another question re: the JVS involvement next season - how long until he decides he wants to pack up and move back to holland because the family is 'unhappy'?

Peter sidwell:

"We were anxious for him to continue but John has decided, for personal and professional reasons, that he should return to Europe to extend his career and personal relationships.

that's all good and well but as someone said earlier if MCFC don't stick around or for some bizzare reason don't match his ambition then he'll leave.

i'd like to have a manager that is going to stick around for 4-5 years (ideally) and bring us repeated success rather than someone who might get bored and resign

• Like 1

Wouldn't want. He's a former tard coach (was their w-league coach before brisbane) so if he comes back he'll probably go back to them.

Should've stopped reading after you said soccer stoppage time though. It is such a biased show and its soo easy to troll those cunts on twitter when their predictions never come true haha

Edited by Tbitm
  • Like 1

With Mulvey, we should be looking around and inviting as many people as possible to show an interest. Although I think I'd rather keep JVS.

For the tards, it's funny that they're probably looking to other options while Muscat's only just at the start of his contract. Then again, does Sydney count as lower eastern seaboard? Ah, fuck I'm starting to take SST seriously. I'll stop now.

Edited by Sash

With Mulvey, we should be looking around and inviting as many people as possible to show an interest. Although I think I'd rather keep JVS.

For the tards, it's funny that they're probably looking to other options while Muscat's only just at the start of his contract. Then again, does Sydney count as lower eastern seaboard? Ah, fuck I'm starting to take SST seriously. I'll stop now.

I think they were referring to Us, Jets and Sydney. I think they ment lower eastern seaboard as lower than brisbane.

that's all good and well but as someone said earlier if MCFC don't stick around or for some bizzare reason don't match his ambition then he'll leave.

i'd like to have a manager that is going to stick around for 4-5 years (ideally) and bring us repeated success rather than someone who might get bored and resign

Whoever we hire will pack up and leave if MCFC don't deliver on their promises*.  MCFC have been pretty clear they would want "quality".  A quality manager doesn't hang around for ever putting up with rubbish, they will have too much ambition. 

* By this I mean promises to the manager, not what we have gleaned from the media and multiplied by our own dreams.  I expect there is little chance of MCFC hiring a gun manager and then going, hey, "let me show you, our prize assets, 23 wheelie bins".   

A new Manager from overseas can't get rid of half the squad and then use a check book to bring in whoever he wants, which is common overseas.   

JVS knows the A League, has shown he knows how to work under a salary cap and all other sorts of squad restrictions, is an excellent player manager, is tactically very strong and promotes youth.

I fail to see why this need to find someone else from overseas. 

(PS: JVS also doesn't come cheap, and if appointed may well be the highest paid Manager in the A League next season. However this will not be an issue for the big money that is now backing us.) 

How much staff do Heart have at the moment?.. Does anyone know?

Not sure about the total number of Heart's staff (not including players). No more than 2 or 3 dozen in my estimate, though. 

Senior staff include:

- The CEO is Scott Munn, formerly the Chief Operating Officer at the AFL Gold Coast Football Club 'The Suns' (the Gold Coast is pretty much rugby territory, so the former Melbourne Heart board seemingly picked Munn because Melbourne is pretty much AFL territory).

- Football Operations Manager is John Didulica, a former footballer, lawyer and player agent, who has worked for the FFA.

- Head Coach is John Van't Schip

- We seemingly only have 1 assistant coach now, Gerard Nus, formerly the reserve's coach / Fitness coach (1st team) at Liverpool under Benitez and then Head of Academy Coaching at Brighton and Hove Albion (http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/2081-gerard-nus/).

The above 3 are pretty much the only (non-playing) football staff, I'm pretty sure. Joey Didulica (brother of John), former goalkeeper at Ajax and AZ Alkmaar, might still be the Heart goalkeeping coach.

There's a few people, maybe 3, who do PR for Heart, such as Sue Crow, General Manage of Community (former CEO of Women's Cricket Australia and CEO of Netball Victoria).

There's been near complete upheaval with Heart's physio and fitness staff this season. I think there's only 2 people who do such work, namely Simone Ripamonte (formerly of Real Madrid's fitness staff) and physiotherapist Belinda Pacella (we had another physiotherapist Simon Storey, but he was seemingly a short term replacement for Belinda).

So all up a tiny collection of staff by international football club standards. And the offices are apparently just a few small rooms somewhere on La Trobe university. Even by Australian standards, where such things in football are very meager, Heart has run its staff and business facilities on a shoe string budget.

I'd be very pleased if Man City improved this not-so-professional state of affairs at the club.

I also assume David Lyon is still fan engagement manager.

On JVS - Another potential banana skin is what happens if his best pal J-Cry calls and says come back and work FT in holland with me?

He replies, 'come to heart and work FT with me?'

Edited by Dylan

On JVS - Another potential banana skin is what happens if his best pal J-Cry calls and says come back and work FT in holland with me?

He replies, 'come to heart and work FT with me?'

Correct, and we all die of excitement

8c28becfb86adc92dc0a24fe392463beee2a20b0

• Like 1

Not sure about the total number of Heart's staff (not including players). No more than 2 or 3 dozen in my estimate, though. 

No more than 15 - 20 I'd say, and that's with a slightly beefed up staff this season.

Football Dept: Didulica, JVS, Nus, Palatsides, Joe Dids (Keeping coach), K Taliadoros? (not sure), the IT guy

Fitness & conditioning: Ripamonte, one or two physio's

Community dept: Sue Crow, 2 or 3 others I'd say

CEO (Munn), CFO, a communications officer, a couple of office staff, Fan Engagement Officer (Lyon)

And then there's volunteers who help on match days as well. There are also a couple of guys who help out organising things for the team with training & travel or whatever, but I'm not sure if they're paid staff, and wouldn't be full time anyway.

Edited by Sash

I feel that JVS's enthusiasm for coaching Heart past season two is akin to the players wanting to play under JA. 

I do not think for a second that JVS leaving us in season two is an issue in considering whether he should be kept on next season.

• Like 1

No more than 15 - 20 I'd say, and that's with a slightly beefed up staff this season.

Football Dept: Didulica, JVS, Nus, Palatsides, Joe Dids (Keeping coach), K Taliadoros? (not sure), the IT guy

Fitness & conditioning: Ripamonte, one or two physio's

Community dept: Sue Crow, 2 or 3 others I'd say

CEO (Munn), CFO, a communications officer, a couple of office staff, Fan Engagement Officer (Lyon)

And then there's volunteers who help on match days as well. There are also a couple of guys who help out organising things for the team with training & travel or whatever, but I'm not sure if they're paid staff, and wouldn't be full time anyway.

Julius Ross- Media

Rebecca May- Sponsorship 

also noticed this email address when I was looking up staff

Donations

Email: donations@melbourneheartfc.com.au

Not sure we are going to have that many people donating their hard earned to us these days, lol

Edited by KSK_47