Melbourne Football

Round 5 v WSW @ AAMI Park Friday 8 November

Ando

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

and i though sydney fc was pathetic.

i hope your club just folds and hopefully we can get a club with real passion. thats the least the top boys at melbourne victory deserve.

on the positive side the KGB / yarraside youth or whatever tryhard firm you guys have didn't manage to 'bash' anyone today.

I did not hear a single peep out of the RBB.

Fuckin ell the Marinators made more noise last home game. Disappointing to be honest. Here I was thinking you had all these 'top boys'.

if you were in the yarraside i can somewhat understand where you are coming from but from what it seemed like watching it on television the RBB were louder for most of the match.

but the ' Come on you boys in red ' chant seemed the loudest so props for that, you do it better than sydney atleast.

I was in the northern stand, and I don't think you guys were as loud as you think.

• Like 1

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

i hope your club just folds and hopefully we can get a club with real passion. thats the least the top boys at melbourne victory deserve.

on the positive side the KGB / yarraside youth or whatever tryhard firm you guys have didn't manage to 'bash' anyone today.

Fuckin ell the Marinators made more noise last home game. Disappointing to be honest. Here I was thinking you had all these 'top boys'.

if you were in the yarraside i can somewhat understand where you are coming from but from what it seemed like watching it on television the RBB were louder for most of the match.

but the ' Come on you boys in red ' chant seemed the loudest so props for that, you do it better than sydney atleast.

I was in the northern stand, and I don't think you guys were as loud as you think.

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

Was also in the northern stand and i could still hear yarraside. Few of the wanderers fan's will have cold's tomorrow that is for sure!

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

In the north end too, definitely didn't out sing Yarraside. Sure they were loud in some parts but yarraside was very clear from the opposite side of the ground, which the RBB weren't when i was in the south end in the first half 

on a serious note/non trolling note on the rare day that harry kewell can finally play a match i think your team will be much more clinical. 

Contrary to what many believe i think JA is a prominsing manager and his subs were good. 

but put it this way, your team has been unlucky for the past few matches but thats football.

stand by your manager because sacking john aloisi and hiring a interim manager is not the way to go if you want to be an stable club (unlike sydney fc...)

Omar I disagree that we are unlucky. No shots on target in the first half is not unlucky. Dominating periods of games and doing nothing with it is not unlucky. What we have seen as fans is a club that has not progressed at all, not one bit since JVS left in fact we've abandoned the principles that attracted the fans to the club in favour of pragmatism, but that pragmatism has given us nothing of value and no success. You are in a fortunate position of being successful and establishing a strong on-field culture in your first season. We are not and offer nothing of value to the HAL apart from 3 easy points when visiting other teams. Replacing JA as 'punishment' and replacing him with a Sydney FC merry-go-round of coaches is a disastrous way to go, I agree but that is not the only option to continuing with JA. Yes, we will be a better team with Kewell if he ever plays but even if we are, we still need to win away from home when we can't even win at home. We will be a better team with Engelaar, and his injury was terrible luck for Aloisi as he was crucial to Aloisis's preferred style and game plan and this has had to change on the eve of the season. Relying on individual players though highlights the deficiencies in the team structure and coaching, your team wins without Ono or Hersi, Roar win without Berisha.

Positives from tonight:

our second half was better than our first for the first time I can remember. We didn't crumble and give up as usual when we went behind

Mifsud would dominate the league with some half-decent service.

Our defence is generally solid but still makes costly mistakes.

JA's substitutions were better for once

Problems:

We still struggle in  midfield with possession and good balls to the front third

when we open teams up with diagonal balls across the field we slow down the play instead of increasing the ball speed. The point of shifting the focus of attack is to create space. We don't have players moving to exploit that space or to create space and good organised defences like WSW handle our predictable play in the front third with little trouble.

Our shooting is tragically problematic. We have scored in 1 of 4 games. Creating chances is not the object of the game and we should not be happy with 'creating chances'.

Bella, I've got to disagree on JA. I've kept my head down for three weeks, but JA has to go. My concern is that this club is being run aground on the rocks and we're all helpless watching. Yep, I'm having a rant.

For 64 minutes I watched us try and bomb long to Mehbratu with the wishful hope of flicking the ball on. I took along a friend who played in the Man U academy to his first Heart game and he couldn't believe what he was seeing. A tactic that was so obviously not working being persisted with for an hour was just stupid. Essentially a 4-2-4 with a huge 40 m gap between our front four and two DMs meant when the ball hit the deck there was no one in the vicinity, and forget any chance of playing out. It was so predictable and easily countered it was pathetic. You were never going to score with this. Why it took 64 minutes to put on an AM and change to a 4-2-1-3 with Kalmar, and then a 4-1-2-3 with Mauk is beyond belief. With the ball on the deck we looked so much more dangerous and showed that we can actually play the ball. Just made me think what the fuck have we been doing all season!?!?! If I think this, what must the players be thinking doing all of their skills session??!!??!!?

Williams is not a number 10, Mebrahtu was the only guy who could win a header, but then was the guy taking dead balls or corners with no options in the box, and Ramsay and Mebrahtu just aren't fit enough to go that extra yard to create an overlaod situation in the box. Far too often not pushing hard forward, and certainly not pushing back to help Behich or Walker. No wonder Walker was under the pump with Mehbratu sucking in oxygen at the half way line - he looked spent after 20 minutes. It was pretty amateurish to watch. Why we are starting Mehbratu is just beyond me. If a winger cant get to the back post after 20 minutes then wtf!?!? Impact sub only!! Also look where the goal came from - Mebrahtu turning into trouble at the top of the box - poor. The only reason our second half looked so good was because the first half was total shit.

The sting in the tail for me tonight was Aloisi on SEN on the way home was asked what he said to the players? His response was that he doesn't address the players after the game - he'll watch the tape and talk to them tomorrow. Lack of passion for me - as a frustrated fan I want fire and passion. All I got was depressing resignation.

On a plus, liked Retre's game, Mauk lively, Kalmar held the ball in midfield well and Weilardt class again. Paddy G lucky Juric missed one on one but otherwise ok.

I think I'm watching a coach out of his depth - poor on game day, no ruthless streak, and far too inexperienced. I hear the argument about sacking a coach being destabilizing, but I take the opposite view. By putting up with this shit, we are sending a message that mediocrity is acceptable. Who believes in that?!?!

Defibrillator, I agree with you! The subs were better but Kalmar and Mauk should have started rather than come off the bench. At worst, as you said they should have come on earlier. At least he didn't bring on defenders and in that respect his subs were better. When we press and win the ball we have far to few passing options as we have too few players forward. It's risky on one hand, however as we are unlikely to win a game this season which our present tactics it probably lowers our risk to play more adventurously. JA takes too long to adjust during the game and is just not a proactive coach.

Although the stats might suggest otherwise, we actually put in some decent crosses into perfect areas. It was just the lack of good positioning in the box and/or the outnumbering of defenders to attackers. We either only had players at the front post and not the back or we only had one man in there while the rest waited outside the box.

Aloisi signed Mifsud cos he admired his runs... He would have been better off signing a Peter Crouch-esque player if we was hoping for his players to play long balls and go out wide to cross.

Although the stats might suggest otherwise, we actually put in some decent crosses into perfect areas. It was just the lack of good positioning in the box and/or the outnumbering of defenders to attackers. We either only had players at the front post and not the back or we only had one man in there while the rest waited outside the box.

Aloisi signed Mifsud cos he admired his runs... He would have been better off signing a Peter Crouch-esque player if we was hoping for his players to play long balls and go out wide to cross.

Well that's exactly the problem, we put in great crosses to nobody or to poor Michael Mifsud on his own surrounded by 3 towering defenders. What is the point? If you measured our effective crosses the count would be closer to zero. We are far too defensive in midfield, both in player selection and tactically.

Retre looked good in the defensive midfield role.

Mifsud made some excellent runs after pulling away from his marker which needed a quick ball, which he didn't get.

Walker looked good but seemed hesitant to get forward as is his trade mark. Perhaps he has seen how the competition plays and is trying to replicate what the coach wants?

Mass continued to impress.

Migliorini was a notable absentee.

The front third continues to be a shambles. How can we have so many crosses with none of our players looking like making meaningful contact with any of them?

More football training, less golf.

Edited by Peter

It sounds like JA is copping a few more hard questions from the gallery. His mentioning our supporters in the tone he did sounded like he is under a bit of pressure. Last season he shrugged off poor results and had a bit of a charming smile, a couple of cute words and a bit of a laugh. It looks like this routine has come to an end.

It was good to hear that the dressing room was down. Let's hope they now pick up for next week.

Edited by Peter

Press: "what was the decision behind taking williams off?"

JA: "because nicky kalmar looked very good when he came in."

so we took off the best player on the ground for someone who looked "good", wtf does that even mean?

Fuck Ramsey off that left hand side, he was breathing out of his arse the last 20 minutes of the game. Could see clear as day he didn't have much left in the tank. Should have kept willo on put him on the left hand side and use his pace to attack the wing. And then keep kalmar in that central position.

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS.

It's a shame you didn't get bashed.

Fuck west Sydney

• Like 4

We're simply a club built on honourable loses. look at our whole season so far:

The derby: 'We should've won, but we came up with some good chances'

CCM: We should've won but at least we scored and played well

Brisbane/Perth: We had good moments, and even though we lost, we can build on this

Tonight: We came up with good chances, but couldn't finish

The whole problem with this club is that we are just not ruthless enough, the reason WSW, CCM ext are successful is because they demand success. We as a club just simply demand 'a good performance' And thats it. I'm so dissapointed right now i can't even begin getting into a review of any sorts.

Omar basically commented that we had a small team mentality and that we had conceded that we would effectively be the poor cousin to the larger MV. Completely agree with him and many of us have been saying this for a long time. Unless we fooking strive to be the biggest team in the HAL we will continue to set the bar low and accept shit results. By accepting shit results I mean that excuses will be made and we'll just move on to the next indifferent performance. JA is a good guy but why are we being used as his coaching work experience summer job? MV got rid of Mehmet and Magilton because they weren't up to winning silverware. We seem to be happy to experiment with an under performing L-plate novice. Enough of this for Christ sake.

• Like 5

Press: "what was the decision behind taking williams off?"

JA: "because nicky kalmar looked very good when he came in."

so we took off the best player on the ground for someone who looked "good", wtf does that even mean?

I think Kalmar is finished.  He changes direction like the QE2 cruise ship, his touch is gone and he is slow.  I did however like the look of Mauk.

I think Kalmar is finished.  He changes direction like the QE2 cruise ship, his touch is gone and he is slow.  I did however like the look of Mauk.

I really liked the look of Mauk too. Should start him, but Aloisi isn't a fan of backing young players in. Only plays them when he has too (I'm assuming Migliorini was unavailable last night).

Kalmar I think still has a spot, but he is on thin ice. He needs to be backed in though and given a chance like he was in those games he dominated last season. ATM I think his fitness is holding him up.

My thoughts on the game itself:

Long balls aside Alois has implemented some subtle changes:

There are fewer back passes to  he keeper.  But we still pass back from the final third to the CB's.  Aloisi should bring in basketball rules at training: once we've crossed the half way there is no option to pass back in to out half.

We tried to pay out from the back more than we have..well everyone but Gerhadt did.

There was more movement off the ball and there were some passing options that haven't been there before.  That was negated by the poor decision-making of the player on the ball, who tried to beat 3 men as they were closed up against the touchline whereas a simple 5 meter one-touch pass to a team mate would have sufficed-looking at you Gol Gol.

The build is still far too slow, players still take far too many touches on the ball which gives teams like WSW time to get 11 men behind the ball and sit back.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

Ratings:

Fri TV #ALeague #MHTvWSW SBS2 134k

Other sports on Friday:

Fri TV #NBL 22k ONE
Fri TV #RLWC2013 7mate Sco v USA live 37k replay 23k
Fri TV ratings #golf #AusPGA 88k ONE @PGAofAustralia

*That would be the biggest TV audience to watch a heart game as that doesn't include regional audiences OR the fox sports rating. I'd expect it to be even greater next week

Edited by Deluka
  • Like 1

Have read about the RBB being louder than Yarraside on Twitter, etc. Surely it had to do with microphones on TV 'cause they were barely heard.

Btw, I know they use them every game but aren't whistles banned for the crowd?

I was watching on tv. I could only hear yarra side. The stadium echoes a lot when there arnt a lot of people inside so I can see why people would get the rbb confused with yarra side watching on tv. But , all I heard was yarraside chants

• Like 1

We were flattered by the losing 1-0 score line. 

Folk next to me commented on how slick and organised the Wanderers were compared to us. They moved the ball quickly, they knew where their team mates would be and plenty of passes were made quickly without looking and sure enough another Wanderer would be there running on to the ball. By contrast our play was slow and disorganised. Heart players getting the ball would be dwelling on it looking around trying to work out what to do. It looked like we were playing an outfit in a much higher division, not a team restricted by the same salary cap as us.

One of the major advantages a club can get in a salary cap restricted competition is in the coaching and fitness staff - where there is NO salary cap.

My thoughts on the game itself:

Long balls aside Alois has implemented some subtle changes:

There are fewer back passes to  he keeper.  But we still pass back from the final third to the CB's.  Aloisi should bring in basketball rules at training: once we've crossed the half way there is no option to pass back in to out half.

We tried to pay out from the back more than we have..well everyone but Gerhadt did.

There was more movement off the ball and there were some passing options that haven't been there before.  That was negated by the poor decision-making of the player on the ball, who tried to beat 3 men as they were closed up against the touchline whereas a simple 5 meter one-touch pass to a team mate would have sufficed-looking at you Gol Gol.

The build is still far too slow, players still take far too many touches on the ball which gives teams like WSW time to get 11 men behind the ball and sit back.

Agree, and for once Aloisi identified problems in the presser that we've been talking about for ages, its taken him 5 games to notice but at least he sees part of the problem. I'd be keen to start Retre and Mauk next week, we looked much better with the team we had at the end of the game. If we are lucky next week we'll keep Sydney FC scoreless and we can get a draw. Another valuable point :(

Over the last 3 seasons our win ratio is 29.76%.

We have played 84 regular season matches and only won 26.

How the hell can you build a club and increase your gate attendances when you cannot win games.

Our away record is absolutely pathetic. We are going to equal the NZ Knights record at Newcastle in a couple of weeks and all I hear from our coaching panel is "We are playing great football but not scoring"....

Just about had enough of this bullshit to be honest......

Amen.

It's starts at the top.

We are a mediocre club and happy with it.

• Like 1

Perhaps our boys play a bit of AFL style kick to kick in training? Patrick Gerhardt, who's tackling and commitment I admire, seems to like playing this as a sub plot to the game with the opposition keeper. His balls forward are like playing table football on a sloping table. Mind you, when one goes in it will be one of the goals of the season.

Heading home last night, My thoughts were that was a better performance we deserved a draw - maybe we did , maybe we didn't.

Im watching the game now, on IQ 

We were only ok in patches and had a lot of possession at times, But WSW defended as a unit very well / in the same way that CCM do, they still look good without the ball.. we are a long way off !! But showing signs of improvement. 

Something is missing though , first two seasons under JVS i/we Believed in us getting a goal - what are the chances now ? 

it always seems to be ( in each season ) a bad decision goes against us from a ref at a time when we are on a high and bang the team collapses and takes several weeks to re-build . Since Ben Williams decision to support CCM, Heart have collapsed again..

There were some positives from last nights game though, Massimo is a little tiger, Ramsey, Mifsud & Murdocca are starting to show an understanding together - once Mifsud starts to hit the target they will click , Retre on his debut did well and Mauk looks to me like he could really be a good player for us in the future, I just hope he gets a bit more game time.. 

Last season we played several games so poorly it was an embarrassment - Wellington away springs to mind - we did not string 3 passes together in 90 mins, at least that has changed now. 

Just need shooting practice & more shooting practice 

Before its too late 

• Like 1

LOL omar is such a typical west sydney name

Sat on the wing today and rbb weren't very noisy, mostly heard when there were long pauses in yarraside 

should i be offended or what ?

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

f**k off flog, your club is nothing but bandwagoners. Had your team been anything like ours, you'd too have f**k all supporters, so f**k up mate.

i lol'd

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

In the north end too, definitely didn't out sing Yarraside. Sure they were loud in some parts but yarraside was very clear from the opposite side of the ground, which the RBB weren't when i was in the south end in the first half 

Watched it on holiday and only saw rbb when doing poznan. But that bloody whistle ppissed me right off.

Ysids loud and proud even via telly, though there was a long pause early in second half.

Good post from Kiro last page. We certainly created enough chances to win, we just look lost whenever we are in a scoring opportunity. It's like we are surprised we are in a decent chance.

We have this tendency to hit long balls to our wingers in a counter attacking style but then they go against the entire notion of attacking while the opposition are on the back foot and instead run for ages with the ball and try and dodge around their opponent, by which time the defence is back. For a team with a front four of pure speed we only take advantage of it for that first pass, not once did our wingers get the ball and immediately look to release Mifsud or Williams. For this reason i think Murdocca was our best winger because when he intercepted the ball he atleast ran forward with purpose and looked to catch the opposition out. 

Mebrahtu needs to be benched and told that until he pulls his finger out he stays there. Williams deserves that wing. Unlike our other wingers his work ethic hasn't wavered and despite playing out of position i think he has been our best player in most of our games. 

Was really impressed with Mauk at the end there and I'd like to see him start, but I doubt it will happen. Kalmar is a better chance and I'd be happy with that, we need someone who can take the ball not on the run and hit through balls. Kalmar and Mauk both look capable of that, Williams is not. 

I want to start Retre again next week. To me he is a better player of the ball along the ground that Migliorini who does these dinky little lobs. Also means Migliorini doesn't get to waste our set pieces. 

And while we are on set pieces can we stop with these stupid short corners. They haven't worked at all. By all means throw the occasional one in there but aside from that just tell whoever takes them to whip them in and make sure they get past the first defender. 

And with freekicks can we make sure our best set piece taker (Gol Gol or Kalmar) takes them instead of Ramsay.

I thought there were good signs from Behich. he looked to be getting his hunger and run back. 

Gerhardt I was generally happy with, but I hate those aimless long balls to absolutely nobody he does about 6 times a match. They are so pointless. He could atleast irect them to the general vicinity of one of our players. 

Frustrating night, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought the atmosphere was great. Yarraside sounded great and from the Northern end they were still clearly audible. WSW were louder than most away squads but those whistles were bloody annoying and should be banned. And they were nowhere near the levels of noise they believe they were, tv mikes can really change perceptions. 

That was also the most involved I've felt the northern end. That last ten minutes it was loud up there, and for that corner where Kalmar missed by head the crowd had a real surge of energy. If we had of scored then the crowd would have gone absolutely nuts. 

And congrats to Aloisi for not only using all three subs, but using them constructively to try and change the game. Just a shame he took off our most dangerous attacker in Williams when Gol Gol was standing on the wing giving us nothing for a lot of the game. 

One thing that really sets WSW apart from the other teams is their supporters' complete lack of humility. Hubris doesn't even come close.

We're shit, but we're doing it our way for better or worse. When we get to the good times, we'll remember the shit we had to go through to get there.

• Like 6