Melbourne Football

Round 5 v WSW @ AAMI Park Friday 8 November

Ando

One thing that really sets WSW apart from the other teams is their supporters' complete lack of humility. Hubris doesn't even come close.

We're shit, but we're doing it our way for better or worse. When we get to the good times, we'll remember the shit we had to go through to get there.

They have overachieved in first season so now they think their shit don't stink.

Don't worry, their kebabs will go cold sooner or later

• Like 2

One thing that really sets WSW apart from the other teams is their supporters' complete lack of humility. Hubris doesn't even come close.

We're shit, but we're doing it our way for better or worse. When we get to the good times, we'll remember the shit we had to go through to get there.

Their turn will come like it does to all teams. 

Good post from Kiro last page. We certainly created enough chances to win, we just look lost whenever we are in a scoring opportunity. It's like we are surprised we are in a decent chance.

We have this tendency to hit long balls to our wingers in a counter attacking style but then they go against the entire notion of attacking while the opposition are on the back foot and instead run for ages with the ball and try and dodge around their opponent, by which time the defence is back. For a team with a front four of pure speed we only take advantage of it for that first pass, not once did our wingers get the ball and immediately look to release Mifsud or Williams. For this reason i think Murdocca was our best winger because when he intercepted the ball he atleast ran forward with purpose and looked to catch the opposition out. 

Mebrahtu needs to be benched and told that until he pulls his finger out he stays there. Williams deserves that wing. Unlike our other wingers his work ethic hasn't wavered and despite playing out of position i think he has been our best player in most of our games. 

Was really impressed with Mauk at the end there and I'd like to see him start, but I doubt it will happen. Kalmar is a better chance and I'd be happy with that, we need someone who can take the ball not on the run and hit through balls. Kalmar and Mauk both look capable of that, Williams is not. 

I want to start Retre again next week. To me he is a better player of the ball along the ground that Migliorini who does these dinky little lobs. Also means Migliorini doesn't get to waste our set pieces. 

And while we are on set pieces can we stop with these stupid short corners. They haven't worked at all. By all means throw the occasional one in there but aside from that just tell whoever takes them to whip them in and make sure they get past the first defender. 

And with freekicks can we make sure our best set piece taker (Gol Gol or Kalmar) takes them instead of Ramsay.

I thought there were good signs from Behich. he looked to be getting his hunger and run back. 

Gerhardt I was generally happy with, but I hate those aimless long balls to absolutely nobody he does about 6 times a match. They are so pointless. He could atleast irect them to the general vicinity of one of our players. 

Frustrating night, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought the atmosphere was great. Yarraside sounded great and from the Northern end they were still clearly audible. WSW were louder than most away squads but those whistles were bloody annoying and should be banned. And they were nowhere near the levels of noise they believe they were, tv mikes can really change perceptions. 

That was also the most involved I've felt the northern end. That last ten minutes it was loud up there, and for that corner where Kalmar missed by head the crowd had a real surge of energy. If we had of scored then the crowd would have gone absolutely nuts. 

And congrats to Aloisi for not only using all three subs, but using them constructively to try and change the game. Just a shame he took off our most dangerous attacker in Williams when Gol Gol was standing on the wing giving us nothing for a lot of the game. 

I'd like to see the stats but I'd be surprised if we weren't the lowest in the league for converted opportunities in general, not just direct shots on goal but also corners and free kicks. I'm sure the total number of goals we've scored from corners and free kicks can be counted on 1 hand over 3 seasons

This  was my first game for the season and have not been able to watch any of the games due to being away overseas. From the moment I left Richmond station and saw fellow supporters in the Red and white- I felt home! From  catching up with friends made over the previous seasons and soaking in the buzzing pre-game atmosphere, I was very excited prior to the game.

I noticed that the club has really got into the Believe concept which has its cringe worthy negatives but has been conveyed well and are given the fans what we have been crying out for- A plan and idea going forward off the pitch!

It was great to be back in the yarraside and a must say a top effort especially to the drummers and trumpet players- awesome.

As for the game, I thought the team played well in patches but chances needed to be taken. It was a hard loss knowing that a draw would have been a fair result. But we should be playing to WIN and nor draw and be competitive- Don't reward mediocrity.

I can get over that game but I feel for everyone who has had to see this week-in week-out for the last few weeks. The team is attempting to play like Barcelona and walk the ball into the net with 3 or 4 outstanding through balls. So many balls played into the box with no-one getting near the ball.

FINALLY if I see another fucking short corner between mehbratu and ramsey that doesn't even make it into the box I will puke.8 corners wasted ! FFS

Lift- Do or die game next week

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

and i though sydney fc was pathetic.

i hope your club just folds and hopefully we can get a club with real passion. thats the least the top boys at melbourne victory deserve.

on the positive side the KGB / yarraside youth or whatever tryhard firm you guys have didn't manage to 'bash' anyone today.

I did not hear a single peep out of the RBB.

Fuckin ell the Marinators made more noise last home game. Disappointing to be honest. Here I was thinking you had all these 'top boys'.

if you were in the yarraside i can somewhat understand where you are coming from but from what it seemed like watching it on television the RBB were louder for most of the match.

but the ' Come on you boys in red ' chant seemed the loudest so props for that, you do it better than sydney atleast.

lol nice work mate

Got to the match 5 minutes late and middle active bay was full so went to Bay 16 where we were the only guys standing. ACG came over after a couple of minutes and told us to sit. We argued and even showed our Bay 16 active memberships.Guy said to sit down and take it up with the club. Seemed on the verge of being kicked out. I'm all for condensing the active area, but some communication from the club wouldn't hurt if they're re zoning bays.

I've seen a few people say that we have been unlucky with HK and AE, but why was there no plan B? Surely JA knew that injuries would happen(especially Kewell). We should be able to handle missing one or two first team players. Unless this is our plan B. In which case we are screwed. Mulvey knows how to get the roar fireing without Broisch and Beshart. Same for Popa with Hersi and Ono.

I've seen a few people say that we have been unlucky with HK and AE, but why was there no plan B? Surely JA knew that injuries would happen(especially Kewell). We should be able to handle missing one or two first team players. Unless this is our plan B. In which case we are screwed. Mulvey knows how to get the roar fireing without Broisch and Beshart. Same for Popa with Hersi and Ono.

We will have a good Plan B and JA will be a pretty good HAL coach.... by 2016/17 (maybe). We can just kick around the bottom of the ladder until then, hopefully by then he'll have the courage to play some youngsters and re-discover what our club stands for

We will have a good Plan B and JA will be a pretty good HAL coach.... by 2016/17 (maybe). We can just kick around the bottom of the ladder until then, hopefully by then he'll have the courage to play some youngsters and re-discover what our club stands for

Last time I checked people were still quite keen to see a youthful side play attacking football, no? Correct me here if I'm wrong, but with Retre getting a starting berth last night, Mauk coming on later and guys like Redders, Behich, Walker, Ramsay and Duga all playing, that's half the squad who would be considered 'young' in this league. 

As for attractive football...well, I think right now we'd all just be happy with a win or two on the board. 

The game was hopeless, not even going to bother giving an analysis on it other than... hm, perhaps we need to learn how to play football.

That aside, first time in the Yarraside at AAMI was a blast although there were way too many people not singing which was poor but the last 10 minutes was pretty good stuff.

Very surprised with the 8k turnout too, was expecting around 6k to be honest. Should probably get around 9-10k against Sydney but we shall see, surely we'll be able to break our duck against the worst defensive team in the league.

Also a couple of observations from last night regarding this 'wonderful' football WSW play. 

- Santalab should've been sent off for showing his studs in challenging Redders.

- Cole and Behich going down during a challenge, Cole gets up and pushes Behich's face into the dirt. 

- NTS shoving Murdocca (?) to the ground just outside the box. Ref waves play on. 

It's hard when our wide players don't seem to have that chemistry just yet, but we as fans need to embrace the suck and keep getting behind the team (but not necessarily JA). 

• Like 1

Also a couple of observations from last night regarding this 'wonderful' football WSW play. 

- Santalab should've been sent off for showing his studs in challenging Redders.

- Cole and Behich going down during a challenge, Cole gets up and pushes Behich's face into the dirt. 

- NTS shoving Murdocca (?) to the ground just outside the box. Ref waves play on. 

It's hard when our wide players don't seem to have that chemistry just yet, but we as fans need to embrace the suck and keep getting behind the team (but not necessarily JA). 

That Santalab challenge reminded me of the Hunt challenge on Cech all those years ago.

But yeah, they're a grubby side.

Last time I checked people were still quite keen to see a youthful side play attacking football, no? Correct me here if I'm wrong, but with Retre getting a starting berth last night, Mauk coming on later and guys like Redders, Behich, Walker, Ramsay and Duga all playing, that's half the squad who would be considered 'young' in this league. 

As for attractive football...well, I think right now we'd all just be happy with a win or two on the board. 

hopefully guys like Retre and Mauk have shown enough to get a start next week, move Williams to the wing.

That Santalab challenge reminded me of the Hunt challenge on Cech all those years ago.

But yeah, they're a grubby side.

The problem is now that Santalab has been given a yellow there'll be no further action by the MRP. I think that we'll have good consistent refs in the hAL about the same time as we win a game.

The game was hopeless, not even going to bother giving an analysis on it other than... hm, perhaps we need to learn how to play football.

That aside, first time in the Yarraside at AAMI was a blast although there were way too many people not singing which was poor but the last 10 minutes was pretty good stuff.

Very surprised with the 8k turnout too, was expecting around 6k to be honest. Should probably get around 9-10k against Sydney but we shall see, surely we'll be able to break our duck against the worst defensive team in the league.

I agree regarding too many people not singing in the active bay. I was monitoring the active bay during the chants and there were heaps of them standing with arms crossed and not chanting. If you're going to be in the active area and occupy a seat at least friggen chant!

I was standing right in front of the capo so I couldn't really tell what was happening behind me but there were heaps in the front few rows just standing there silently most of the game, all they really did was occasionally mosh. 

I know it's hard to support your team when they're performing as hopelessly as they are but for fuck's sake, all you've got to do is stand, sing and give the boys some encouragement for 90 minutes. Why bother being in active otherwise?

• Like 1

I was standing right in front of the capo so I couldn't really tell what was happening behind me but there were heaps in the front few rows just standing there silently most of the game, all they really did was occasionally mosh. 

I know it's hard to support your team when they're performing as hopelessly as they are but for fuck's sake, all you've got to do is stand, sing and give the boys some encouragement for 90 minutes. Why bother being in active otherwise?

I hear ya homie

On a lighter note, My mates and i saw two surprisingly hot female wanderers fan's at the game just purchasing food.

I went up to one of them she was a blonde and said to her "i heard you are a wanderers fan would you lie to wander on my dick."

This story doesn't have a happy ending

please continue.. ;)

Edited by Young Polak

I'd have Vrankovic instead of long ball merchant Gerhardt. It's just not in us to have balls launched every time down the pitch. He is criminally bad at it. Vranks can play the ball out.

Have Retre, Kalmar and Mauk all start. Young, hungry and full of energy. As soon as Kalmar came on we looked more dangerous going forward.

Play to score goals, our side has the ability to play a high tempo style of game. I had to laugh watching the sbs replay today. The half time analysis said we had to lift our intensity. Foxe gets on and says to the female reporter that we have to play at the same intensity.

I don't think Aloisi and Foxe see the game we all see. They must be too focused on their patterns and systems to notice.

Retre should be the tempo, controlling central mid. Kalmar attacking mid. Williams and Mifsud our strikers. We need goals.

Redmayne

Walker Vrankovic Weilart Behich

Retre

Murdocca Mauk

Kalmar

Mifsud Williams

Just my opinion on what I would do.

• Like 1

Problem is...I thought Gerhardt made some very good saving tackles on a number of occasions.

I disagree with you on Kalmar and Williams. We may have looked better when Kalmar came on, but like Kiro I thought he was really sluggish. And IMO Williams is too erratic and his shooting technique is all wrong - it's painful to watch him leaning back on the ball as he blazes away about 5m or more over the bar. If it were me I'd persevere with Ramsay.

Agree with you on Retre and Mauk.

Whatever, something has to be sorted and we settle into some sort of rhythm. We are very predictable. We come out of the blocks fast, but once we begin to tire we get picked off so easily and just don't have the ability to get back into the game. In saying that though, the boys were really throwing everything at WSW those last 10-15 minutes - probably the best show of fighting spirit I've seen from Heart in three and a bit seasons.

The pressure must be mounting on Aloisi. Both Newcastle and Sydney managed wins today and are not going to be as easy to beat as we might have thought 48 hours ago.

I'd give up one or two good challenges by Gerhardt for him not knocking long balls everywhere.

Kalmar always offers creativity. He looks lazy but he can unlock a defence in an instant and can put away goals. I think he can pull the creative strings enough for Mifsud and Williams to take advantage.

Williams scored two goals for us this season and save for the crossbar should of had another one last night. Looked by far our best goal scorer even though he's playing out of position. Him and Mifsud with Kalmars creativity could cause trouble.

• Like 4