Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell appointed Heart Skipper

Victards

Something we have lacked since day 1, is a born leader. Looking through our past seasons, and past squads, IMO this years squad tops any we have ever had.

Things that we have in this squad are leaders, people who can stand up and be counted when we need them mose. People who i think can be good leaders for the club and fulfil that captains role:

Kewell - Tones of experiance, although looking back at his performances at the Victards, he plays for himself, hopefully this changes this year

Engelaar - Has captained PSV previously, probably the most experianced player in our squad, big, tough, and intimidating, can also stand up and be counted when needed. IMO i think he is favorite for the position

Murdocca - Melbourne born & bread, JA obviously sees something sort of leadership in him, couldnt see any other reason why as to put him captain for a pre-season game, perhaps been given some sort of leadership within the group

Gerhardt - Solid and tough as fuck. Genuine leader who can lift the lads through one crunching tackle, if he extends his stay at Melbourne, and learn more of language, i really couldnt see why not?

I think its really out of these 4 but IMO:

Engelaar ©

Kewell VC

Opinions on whos going to get the vacant captian role or the core leadership of the group in general?

Edited by Victards

Something we have lacked since day 1, is a born leader. Looking through our past seasons, and past squads, IMO this years squad tops any we have ever had.

Things that we have in this squad are leaders, people who can stand up and be counted when we need them mose. People who i think can be good leaders for the club and fulfil that captains role:

Kewell - Tones of experiance, although looking back at his performances at the Victards, he plays for himself, hopefully this changes this year

Engelaar - Has captained PSV previously, probably the most experianced player in our squad, big, tough, and intimidating, can also stand up and be counted when needed. IMO i think he is favorite for the position

Murdocca - Melbourne born & bread, JA obviously sees something sort of leadership in him, couldnt see any other reason why as to put him captain for a pre-season game, perhaps been given some sort of leadership within the group

Gerhardt - Solid and tough as fuck. Genuine leader who can lift the lads through one crunching tackle, if he extends his stay at Melbourne, and learn more of language, i really couldnt see why not?

I think its really out of these 4 but IMO:

Engelaar ©

Kewell VC

Opinions on whos going to get the vacant captian role or the core leadership of the group in general?

It will be kewell. If what was said about him at victory always wanting input with how the team should play and that was disruptive in the change room then it would be smart to give him some authority.

Weilaert is more experienced than engelaar

But really, close thread. Hoffman ©

one of the things i've been most impressed by in our signings this season has been the leadership qualities of the players. 2 former captain of big european clubs, while others like Kewell and murdocca are more experienced leaders on the ground and lead by example.

The spine of our squad is looking very good, with Gerhardt and Wielaert dictating at the back, Murdocca and Engelaar running the show from the midfield and Kewell bringing it all together up front.

I hope the signing of the visa striker has similar attributes to the most recent signings. It would really be the icing on the cake

I think we'll see the club put Kewell as captain. He's our number 10, we need him to be playing as best as he can, and he's the type of player who would love the attention and would make him perform better IMO

Has to be someone that ALL the players look to and respect. While gerhardt deserves respect as a player, I don't think his CV commands enough respect. Only three players out there can truly gain the respect out of the rest of the team and each other and that's kewell, wielart and engelaar.

• Like 1

So many good choices here, i would really hope Paddy go-hard gets it, always been a fan favourite, or maybe even redders?

Really tough choice though. Kewell as captain i wouldn't mind though. Would be the ultimate fuck you to the visitors.

Edited by kingofhearts

So many good choices here, i would really hope Paddy go-hard gets it, always been a fan favourite, or maybe even redders? Really tough choice though. Kewell as captain i wouldn't mind though. Would be the ultimate fuck you to the visitors.

Remember it's about leading the team not the fans. Fan popularity has nothing to do with it. And it's not just about leading the team but managing egos, building trust, personalities etc. Kewells ego that will need to be managed the most, because we don't know what wielart or engelaar are like. Could a guy like gerhardt win that respect from kewell? Perhaps, but not through his experience though, having not played with any major clubs. And perhaps for the same reasons he might not have wielart or engelaar confidence either. Not knowing engelaar very well, I place them in this order...1. Kewell 2. Wielart 3. Engelaar. I see it as a major positive kewell being captain (not only for as you say being the ultimate fuck you to the visitors), it gives kewell a stake in the outcome, a kind of ownership of the team and their results.

Think we need to look at beyond just the one season and get some continuity in the captain role. Gerhardt's two-year contract is up at the end of 2013-14, with no guarantee that he wants to stay, and Kewell and Engelaar have signed for one season only at this stage.

I'd be looking closely at Murdocca and Wielaert.

I think it will be Wielart and Murdocca as the two anointed leaders. Both seemingly vocal, experienced and demanding. Murdocca is the Australian representative, local boy and will be captain I think, while Wielaert is the organizer from the back and has high level experience.

Doesn't hurt to have a big group of demanding leaders though, nice change from last year.

Think we need to look at beyond just the one season and get some continuity in the captain role. Gerhardt's two-year contract is up at the end of 2013-14, with no guarantee that he wants to stay, and Kewell and Engelaar have signed for one season only at this stage.

I'd be looking closely at Murdocca and Wielaert.

I think this is important. Most of the suggested possible captains, Engelaar, Wielaert, Gerhardt, Kewell, have their contracts with Heart finish at the end of the season. Murdocca is the only player suggested who's contracted to Heart for longer than 1 season.

Here's Aloisi on the captain role:

"There's plenty of time to decide on that, there's lots of leaders out there at the moment.

"The new players that have come in, you saw Mas (Massimo Murdocca), he's a great professional and also very well liked amongst the group, Harry of course, Rob Wielaert, he was captain of FC Twente, so I'm not going to be short in terms of who I want to put in as captain. We'll decide that toward the end of pre-season.

(http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/08/07/4171218/aloisi-encouraged-by-kewells-first-heart-run-out)

I think Mass would be a good choice to captain Heart next season. I reckon him and Kewell would lift the most if they were given the captain's armband. Mass would probably improve the most, as he'd want to prove he's up to captaining the team, and Kewell is already well motivated with the upcoming World Cup. That Murdocca is 'very well liked' within the squad, 'a great professional' and a Melburnian probably all helps his cause as well. Also, perhaps unlike our VISA players, Mass can easily and effectively communicate in English, and can talk to and direct every other player on the pitch from midfield

I reckon Wielaert and Engelaar will be under enough pressure to perform, simply because they take up VISA spots. Engelaar in particular should be motivated to perform given he's here on a marquee deal.

If Gerhardt were captain, I think he'd lead by example like Fred did. I've never seen Gerhardt communicate too much, and ideally IMO a captain should be vocal.

Kewell likewise seems more like a player that would lead by example. I reckon he could do a fine job as captain, and would probably demand more from himself if he were captain. A highly motivated Kewell could be big for us IMO.

All up, I don't think there's a wrong choice for captain, but currently I'd like to see Mass made captain. Although, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a player stepped up in what remains of our pre-season and became the obvious choice.

• Like 1

should be paddy g, am i the only one that will get angry if one of the new signings is named captain?

While I do agree with you, we did kind of sell all other players that had any glimpse of the arm band in the past few seasons.

So a fresh team with a fresh captain wouldn't really phase me

Edited by Hazzaverx

Mass is only 28 and is Melburnian so he's got the most longevity at the club out of the four and could potentially be the captain for the next 4-5 years if he keeps performing. Toss up between him and Kewell for me.

Except Kewell is on a 1 year deal. The choice of captain should be a part of a long term plan to develop leadership and responsibility on the field, we need someone who will be around for the next few years, can deliver their part of the plan, and also anticipate that they'll be fit and available for most games of the season. There's no point in appointing a 65 minute player or someone who is injury prone (like Fred)

Mass is only 28 and is Melburnian so he's got the most longevity at the club out of the four and could potentially be the captain for the next 4-5 years if he keeps performing. Toss up between him and Kewell for me.

I always forget that Mass is only 28, I don't know what it is but he just seems older!

He'd actually be a great contender now I think about it.

should be paddy g, am i the only one that will get angry if one of the new signings is named captain?

i am exactly the same way about doing this, but i dont see us having any other options, minus Paddy G, if he is not given the role of captain, he must be pushing for the VC role which is just as important role.

Wielaert for me. CB so has best view of pitch to direct players, experience, and probably the least pressure on him out of Kewell, engelaar and himself. I don't think mass will play enough games or command enough respect from the bigger names IMO. Gerhardt I'm hoping will have Vrankovic nipping at his heels for his spot so kind of rules him out.

After some compelling arguments for and against, I'm now leaning towards Murdocca as well!

Yes it's his first year with Heart, but he has been a dominant figure in the midfield in the A-League for 8 years, he's won two championships, he is a Melbourne boy, he is vocal on the park, commands the midfield, urges the players on, he is only 28 and has signed for more than one year! He'll probably start every game too if he's fit.

Currently he's ticking more boxes than anyone else me thinks.

• Like 2

The captain needs to be the best player on the team. Essendon=Jobe Watson, Geelong= Joel selwood ext. A captain needs to lift there team up with there own individual performance when the team is playing like shit. Can Murdocca really do that? He's a good player, but if i'm looking for a bit of individual brilliance i've got at least 2-3 people in front of him