Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell appointed Heart Skipper

Victards

want gerhardt

will probably be harry

Given that Harry turns up to training but only does the drills that he wants to do, not a good choice.

Could that be due to certain health/fitness requirements? 

from my (second hand) contact in the club it's more just Harry being Harry. In any case a captain needs to motivate by example, even in training

It'll definitely be the Hoff, why else has he been retained on the list? He's been groomed for this job :wub:

Lol - Would almost rival Mark Latham as the worse Australian Leadership Appointment of all time. :up:

To compare Hoffman to Latham is a bit unfair. Jason is a much better bloke and much more liked. Though there football ability is quite similar.

• Like 4

I personally think the best news today is the fact that we've managed to secure Westpac for a further 3 years. Companies seem to be as savvy as ever to spend a dollar in sporting advertising with some AFL clubs struggling to find a major sponsor

So for Westpac to commit for a further 3 years it gives the club a big boost.

• Like 6

I personally think the best news today is the fact that we've managed to secure Westpac for a further 3 years. Companies seem to be as savvy as ever to spend a dollar in sporting advertising with some AFL clubs struggling to find a major sponsor

So for Westpac to commit for a further 3 years it gives the club a big boost.

Agreed - Means a lot more to me as well.
  • Like 1

Kewell is saying all the right things, and has done so since he arrived at Heart early in pre-season. Unlike with the tards, with whom he effectively missed their whole pre-season, Kewell joined us without a circus and is going through a full pre-season, all the while he's getting minimal pay from Heart. What more could he have done at Heart? And what wrong things has he done at Heart (if any)?

Kewell came to Heart with a humble and highly professional attitude, and so far he's shaping up to be one of our most important players, as well as the most professional player we've ever had. Indeed, Heart have had far too many inconsistent players, who haven't given all they have often enough. So IMO it's a welcome breath of fresh air to have such a top professional as our captain.

Also, last season, our best player was a former Socceroos teammate of Aloisi's. I reckon this season Aloisi will likewise ensure that our current captain, who's another former Socceroos teammate of his, is at the top of his game, and I believe Kewell at the top of his game will be a big positive for Heart.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Overall great press conference. Harry will be a good captain imo, especially if he plays on for a second year which he hinted to at the very end. (and hopefully on minimum wage again  :D)

Also noticed after Munn listed towns around Victoria we have been to he said we were adding to the list with our regional match this season. So maybe that means it won't go to Albury like originally thought. 

• 2 months later...

Mass is only 28 and is Melburnian so he's got the most longevity at the club out of the four and could potentially be the captain for the next 4-5 years if he keeps performing. Toss up between him and Kewell for me.

Except Kewell is on a 1 year deal. The choice of captain should be a part of a long term plan to develop leadership and responsibility on the field, we need someone who will be around for the next few years, can deliver their part of the plan, and also anticipate that they'll be fit and available for most games of the season. There's no point in appointing a 65 minute player or someone who is injury prone (like Fred)

The most accurate predictions I've seen on here.

Overall great press conference. Harry will be a good captain imo, especially if he plays on for a second year which he hinted to at the very end. (and hopefully on minimum wage again  :D)

Also noticed after Munn listed towns around Victoria we have been to he said we were adding to the list with our regional match this season. So maybe that means it won't go to Albury like originally thought.

And the least, even behind people in the marquee man thread saying we'll sign Beckham