Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell appointed Heart Skipper

Victards

The captain needs to be the best player on the team. Essendon=Jobe Watson, Geelong= Joel selwood ext. A captain needs to lift there team up with there own individual performance when the team is playing like shit. Can Murdocca really do that? He's a good player, but if i'm looking for a bit of individual brilliance i've got at least 2-3 people in front of him

Your captain doesn't necessarily have to be your best player, but you definitely want your captain to be first choice in his position so that he plays most weeks, I'm not sure if Murdocca is.

IMo Kewell looks set to take the position, leading out the troops last night, played out 70 minutes, and played well. Looks like JA has somewhat made his decision

Granted I was only half watching the second half, Kewell didn't quite wow me last night. He played okay but I wouldn't say he played well enough for him gain captaincy as an attacking player in his first season with Heart

Would love to see Paddy G get it but with the squad being changed so much since last year maybe a fresh captain and vice would be the perfect starting point to display that were a changed team ready to challenge the league

Still a better choice than who many on this forum wanted as captain...

Richie "Figjam" Garcia :droy:

Beggers can't be choosers.

Who on our list at the end of last season when all things pointed to Richie staying, was a more suitable option than he was?

The only real option for captain now is Redders. I'm dead against giving captaincy to someone who hasn't even kicked a competitive ball for the club yet, that's why I was angered when this happened with Fred (albeit nullified by his performances early on with his stint at Heart).

• Like 1

Captain will be Kewell, Engelaar or wait for it...... wait for it..... Aziz.

I'm serious. Very strong mail Aziz is very close.

Thought of this but decided against posting it because he is on loan. I'd endorse this 100% tbh, with a view to replace him with someone proven at seasons end when he must unfortunately leave us.

Still a better choice than who many on this forum wanted as captain...

Richie "Figjam" Garcia :droy:

Beggers can't be choosers.

Who on our list at the end of last season when all things pointed to Richie staying, was a more suitable option than he was?

The only real option for captain now is Redders. I'm dead against giving captaincy to someone who hasn't even kicked a competitive ball for the club yet, that's why I was angered when this happened with Fred (albeit nullified by his performances early on with his stint at Heart).

IMO Paddy Go Hard and Redders were easily better candidates,

He may have been our best player on the pitch but Garcia was not the most popular player amongst his squad members well before he left.

He also did not give much back to the fans, which is something you also need for a captain to do these days for PR reasons.

Completely forgot about ziz, fuck yeah he should he captain! No other player on our team bleeds more red and white than that guy!

please log out.... think about things for a while, then log back in with an appropriate answer.

Why are people so against aziz being captain? He's been loned to us for the year and this could be the last time he ever plays in the red and white. It's not like his overseas club are dying for him to come back, from what i can read on here he was hardly getting any game-time

Completely forgot about ziz, fuck yeah he should he captain! No other player on our team bleeds more red and white than that guy!

please log out.... think about things for a while, then log back in with an appropriate answer.

Why are people so against aziz being captain? He's been loned to us for the year and this could be the last time he ever plays in the red and white. It's not like his overseas club are dying for him to come back, from what i can read on here he was hardly getting any game-time 3 days ago you were saying the best player should be captain. Behich is not our best player.

Wielaert's English is too shit to be an effective captain imo. I've had two conversation's with him now and whilst it's very clear, he has the vocabulary of a five year old. Constantly having to rephrase sentences so he understands what I'm saying. Very nice bloke though.

Edited by Jimmy

Wielaert's English is too shit to be an effective captain imo. I've had two conversation's with him now and whilst it's very clear, he has the vocabulary of a five year old. Constantly having to rephrase sentences so he understands what I'm saying. Very nice bloke though.

But is that down to him or you Jimmy?

• Like 2

I guess the best thing is that it won't really matter all too much in the end who is named captain with the amount of quality leaders we have. They're all going to be vocal and demonstrate leadership qualities regardless, so I'm not all that fussed.

...unless it's Hoffman, if it's Hoffman we riot  :ph34r:

I have a suspicion that Rob Wielaert will be captain with maybe Harry as vice-captain. Wielaert appears to have the pedigree and JA was going on about his experience and on field leadership.

When I put the three names up yesterday I wrote Kewell, Engelaar and Aziz. I actually meant to write Kewell, Wielaert and Aziz. Got my dutchies mixed up. Think I must have been Shhhmokin too much. :)

Robbie is the frontrunner.

please log out.... think about things for a while, then log back in with an appropriate answer. Why are people so against aziz being captain? He's been loned to us for the year and this could be the last time he ever plays in the red and white. It's not like his overseas club are dying for him to come back, from what i can read on here he was hardly getting any game-time 3 days ago you were saying the best player should be captain. Behich is not our best player.

I still stick with that opinion, i guess thinking with my head i'm picking Orlando, Wielart or Paddy G but if i;m thinking with my heart i'm picking aziz :)

I tell you what, i don't envy having to make this decision. So many choices. I

Aziz is not a leader; end of discussion.

Still think it's one of Kewell or Gerhardt.

EDIT: For those discussing the downfalls of not being able to speak good English; Wielaert speaks English ten times better than Fred did.

Edited by Baresi

After what happened in Lismore I don't think there's much choice.

Massimo for the captain's role. Wielaert for vice-captain and the "sergeant-major" in the defence. Our defensive structure in Lismore was woeful and we need someone there to be the organizer. Gerhardt is not that man.