Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

I was a little suprised how we played in the second half, but we did make alot of subs and it was raining aaand the surface wassnt that great either. Murdocca is a machine, just goes and goes and goes and is strong on the ball. Who was number 28? who played in the middle for most of the game, he got knocked off the ball alot. 

Great to catch up with everyone again and meet some new faces :up:

Most fun I've had at a pre-season game since the club started, and easily the most people we've had down for a pre-season game in our 4 year existence.

Few of us remarked that we had more ppl at the Gimp pre & post game then we did for some home games we played last season.

Think it really emphasises the importance of the club scheduling games locally & fixturing pre-season games at decent times. Instead of playing games behind closed doors and out in whoop whoop.

Anyways, really looking forward to the upcoming season and if last night is anything to go by reckon the yside will be a ripper  :up: :up: :up:

sounds like it was a good atmosphere.

apologies for not making it - had planned to make it but between getting away late and having shite traffic conditions through town (making it an hour and a half from the West Gate to the game thanks to two lanes being closed in the Domain / Burnley tunnel and Friday night Footy traffic).

do people normally go back to the pub for post game drinks?

surely we're going to stop with the short corners this season..

I've heard statistically that Short Corners are actually more succesful than any other corner tactic..

I'd like to know the stats. Personally I despise short corners. At the very least a proper corner coming in is going to appear much more aggressive and positive. There's something about short corners that seems defeatist. 

I've heard statistically that Short Corners are actually more succesful than any other corner tactic..

I'd like to know the stats. Personally I despise short corners. At the very least a proper corner coming in is going to appear much more aggressive and positive. There's something about short corners that seems defeatist. 

I was not there last night but the reason for the short corners is prob because Gol Gol is good at receiving the short pass and really good at then whipping the ball in at the improved angle.

I was not there last night but the reason for the short corners is prob because Gol Gol is good at receiving the short pass and really good at then whipping the ball in at the improved angle.

would make sense if we could actually get the ball into the box instead of holding it up in the corner, being dispossessed and getting hit on the counter

Most fun I've had at a pre-season game since the club started, and easily the most people we've had down for a pre-season game in our 4 year existence.

Few of us remarked that we had more ppl at the Gimp pre & post game then we did for some home games we played last season.

Think it really emphasises the importance of the club scheduling games locally & fixturing pre-season games at decent times. Instead of playing games behind closed doors and out in whoop whoop.

Anyways, really looking forward to the upcoming season and if last night is anything to go by reckon the yside will be a ripper  :up: :up: :up:

apologies for not making it - had planned to make it but between getting away late and having shite traffic conditions through town (making it an hour and a half from the West Gate to the game thanks to two lanes being closed in the Domain / Burnley tunnel and Friday night Footy traffic).

Sure do mate :up:

It was pretty cool to finally meet some people there :up:

And to reveal my face after being a faceless person for quite a long period

Good too meet you too mate :up:

Harry with the captains armband. That about seals it. Maybe Murdocca and Gerhardt as dual vice-captains.

Noticed that on the night.

If we have another Mong as our captain after Fred my face will be  :droy:

• Like 1

I've heard statistically that Short Corners are actually more succesful than any other corner tactic.. I'd like to know the stats. Personally I despise short corners. At the very least a proper corner coming in is going to appear much more aggressive and positive. There's something about short corners that seems defeatist. I was not there last night but the reason for the short corners is prob because Gol Gol is good at receiving the short pass and really good at then whipping the ball in at the improved angle.

would make sense if we could actually get the ball into the box instead of holding it up in the corner, being dispossessed and getting hit on the counter

we need ball speed for that, it has to be in the box before defensive players have a chance to reset, and our attackers in the box and around the box need to move quickly to create space and into space. The problem with our short corners is that the ball speed is too slow, and the trouble with our long corners is that our ball into the box is usually poorly delivered, not fast enough, not flat enough, and usually too close to the keeper

Yes

BZA is in fact so keen for these post game drinks he leaves matches early and catches a taxi just so he can welcome the rest of us to the pub. :up:

• Like 2

I've heard statistically that Short Corners are actually more succesful than any other corner tactic.. I'd like to know the stats. Personally I despise short corners. At the very least a proper corner coming in is going to appear much more aggressive and positive. There's something about short corners that seems defeatist. I was not there last night but the reason for the short corners is prob because Gol Gol is good at receiving the short pass and really good at then whipping the ball in at the improved angle.

we need ball speed for that, it has to be in the box before defensive players have a chance to reset, and our attackers in the box and around the box need to move quickly to create space and into space. The problem with our short corners is that the ball speed is too slow, and the trouble with our long corners is that our ball into the box is usually poorly delivered, not fast enough, not flat enough, and usually too close to the keeper

Barcelona take short corners, so clearly we are just doing what the best do  :P

• Like 1

We have some serious pace with our wingers, it's ridiculous how good our options are

TBH our wings have never really been our problem, its more our spine - our spine is shaping up to be close the best in the league if we acquire a decent Striker.

This. Discussed the same thing with my pal on the way home last night. Our spine has nearly always had holes in it, but this season it looks first class.

Would anyone have more information about the event; September 29th vs Peninsula XI @ Frankston? or a link to a timetable of friendlies?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-Cup/72694

The match is listed under "Details."

Scott Munn tweeted today that there will be four matches in September, details to follow.