Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

Would anyone have more information about the event; September 29th vs Peninsula XI @ Frankston? or a link to a timetable of friendlies?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-Cup/72694

The match is listed under "Details."

Scott Munn tweeted today that there will be four matches in September, details to follow.

Good to hear, I was beginning to feel a little concerned about the number of preseason matches. 

Brisbane have played about six, where we've played about three. It will be an intriguing game against the Roar to see where we sit. I'm particularly looking forward to the footage provided by http://paulytv.com.au/ of the Roar v. Heart game. It'll be nice to see a bit more footage than what mFootball provide us with.

Dont give me that attitude.

What attitude?

You said the club tweeted it and all I'm saying is that I obviously missed that tweet because I don't have a twitter account.

Jesus christ mate calm down.

i think he was just having a laugh with you..

• Like 1

I presume that match against the Peninsula XI will be our last before round 1 considering is less than two weeks after that match.

I personally would rather us playing stronger opposition that close to the season. Victory that same day play the wanderers down here a much better preparation for the derby IMO.

We will...

Every side gets/only is allowed 2 friendlies against A League opposition.

I presume that match against the Peninsula XI will be our last before round 1 considering is less than two weeks after that match.

I personally would rather us playing stronger opposition that close to the season. Victory that same day play the wanderers down here a much better preparation for the derby IMO.

We will...

Every side gets/only is allowed 2 friendlies against A League opposition.

Don't think that's quite true there Caddy.

There are two "official" pre-season matches against A-League opposition. The one in Lismore is not one of those.

Last pre-season the two "official" matches were against Adelaide and Perth, and in addition we played WSW in Lismore.

People like to say that pre-season form doesn't count for much. I beg to differ. The only pre-season match against A-League opposition that we've ever won was that one against WSW, and we did that on penalties because (IIRC) it was for the Craig Foster Cup. The full-time score was 0-0.

• Like 1

Away game, pencil In a loss

:P

Also didn't I read on here recently we've never won a preseason game against A-League opponents. Is that right? 

That is correct except for the game against WSW in Lismore last year when it was 0-0 at full-time and the match was decided on penalties - which we won. IIRC it was decided on penalties because the teams were playing for the "Craig Foster Cup."

Otherwise we have lost or drawn all our pre-season matches against A-League opposition. Last year we lost both - to Adelaide and then Perth.

Seriously what is wrong with our club that we can't win a preseason game against A-League teams? I mean surely it points to something just like not winning away from Victoria did last year.

The fitness training seems the most likely candidate. That explains poor second half results as well. 

I really hope we win a preseason game this year or I will lack confidence going into the comp proper. 

Edited by alexandro

Seriously what is wrong with our club that we can't win a preseason game against A-League teams? I mean surely it points to something just like not winning away from Victoria did last year.

The fitness training seems the most likely candidate. That explains poor second half results as well. 

I really hope we win a preseason game this year or I will lack confidence going into the comp proper. 

Do we have a tough enough pre-season schedule? Other clubs have up to 12 matches against State league opposition. However, this may not be Heart's fault. From where I sit many of the senior Victorian clubs seem to have giant chips on their shoulders  - see, for example, their opposition to the National Premier League concept. From what I've read the other States are getting behind this concept and it will be starting next season. So maybe there's a reluctance to have anything to do with the Melbourne A-League clubs?

I think we're doing our best, and credit is due to Heart, WSW and now Brisbane for being prepared to play in Lismore, which probably does absolutely zero for membership numbers.

• Like 1

From where I sit many of the senior Victorian clubs seem to have giant chips on their shoulders  - see, for example, their opposition to the National Premier League concept. From what I've read the other States are getting behind this concept and it will be starting next season. So maybe there's a reluctance to have anything to do with the Melbourne A-League clubs?

Fucking this.