Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

7-0

Lovely cut back from Mate to Billy K, finish to the bottom corner.

sign him.

has the Gooch or Mauk made an appearance?

Think those two lads are with the under 19's about to head off to Spain.

Massimo was the one who impressed me today.

2 lovely assist by HK

Felt very sorry for the kid at LB for them, having willo kick 5 on him in a half and his mum yell at him the whole time.

• Like 6

7-0

sign him.

Massimo was the one who impressed me today.

2 lovely assist by HK

Felt very sorry for the kid at LB for them, having willo kick 5 on him in a half and his mum yell at him the whole time.

ahahahahaha

Can't really make any proper estimations with a friendly with Latrobe XI, but from what I saw today I loved Murdocca's workrate and I think he will be valuable to our squad. Also, Mitchinson looked better on the ball and made some good runs. I think Golgol is afraid to score goalgoals...

How did kewell look?

He played a full half which was a good sign. He wasn't running too much but when he got the ball he showed some class and his intelligence. He gave two assists, good balls and could've scored 1 or 2. Overall, was impressed but then again, it was LaTrobe...

7-0

sign him.

Correct.

I didn't see them at the ground.

Kalmar and Germano were there also, but not playing.

We need better competition. Vpl at the least. Results don't do us any good. We know they can bang goals against amateurs. Time to step up for real comps like Sth or knights, green gully, oakleigh, etc.

These games aren't about results though.

From my understanding, they're about the way we use the ball.

Not how we defend, not how many goals we score; how we pass, run and interact.

Should arrange a game with South

We are only a humble A League club mate not a World Powerhouse like yourselves with 738,000 Members.

Should arrange a game with South

We are only a humble A League club mate not a World Powerhouse like yourselves with 738,000 Members.

lol

Kewell looked underdone (fitness wise) in my opinion, but that's what you can expect at this stage. On the ball he was very intelligent and showed glimpses of brilliance with his crossing in particular. I wasn't too impressed with mitchinson if i was to be blunt, lost possession too much, overall he did will but i think there's quite a gap between him and Aziz. Hopefully this season Aziz can help Mitchinson close that gap for when Aziz returns to Turkey and Mitchinson has to step up. 

As I said earlier, I was impressed by Retre and Williams played very well but he did have it pretty easy down the left. For me though, Gerhardt really made a presence on the field. He make some very strong tackles which was great to watch as a defender myself. Iani Ramsay shot across the goal and hit the left upright, he should have finished with three goals as he also sprayed one over the bar from about 10 yards out on an angle.

To be fair though, we were expected to win big and keep a clean sheet and we did. As far as I'm concerned, job done, next game.

First person to message me gets some big news I heard at the game from a great source.

Was at the game. Three glasses of wine when I reached home after driving through torrential rain, but I still can't feel my toes.

I don't know that we can draw a lot from this game. I liked Murdocca - thought he was the mainspring of everything. Also Mitchinson was lively coming forward. The defence was hardly stretched at all. Despite their goals I was not impressed by Williams, Macallister or Konstantinidis, and Dugandzic struggled to make any impact. At least two of the first half goals should have been disallowed for offside during the build-up. Kewell started slowly, but was getting into it at the end. Golgol is hot and cold. Overall, I'd say the squad has a long way to go.

Happened to be minding my own business when a certain Heart official and his cronies decided to have a chat within earshot. Not a word about Orlando Engelaar was uttered, and I didn't see that player at the ground.

What I did pick up was the word "Spain" and I got the impression that we may have someone over there at the moment and may have signed or are about to sign a player from that country.

• Like 2

Alrighty.

- Really liked the work Murdocca did, not only on the ball, but several times he was calling back the players in front of him and getting them into good position, him and David Vrankovic were probably the most vocal two on the pitch, helped Mitchinson out a lot.

- Retre was decent, although he's kind of like another Murdocca, small, sleight and got bundled off the ball a bit, good passing range, but difficult to judge against this opposition, would like to see more of him though, so hopefully he plays against Richmond.

- Our forward set up varied more then it did last year, with the men drifting in from the wings to be a lot more, likely due to the quality of the opposition, will be interesting to see if the same is occurring throughout the pre-season.

- I liked what I saw from Billy K, a lot more then what I saw from D-Mac, seemed very industrious and seemed willing to chase, linked up with Murdocca quite well too.

- Difficult to judge the class of our wing play, although there was some nice ball movement.

- Our corner set up is ridiculous if that's how we plan on taking them, especially when we had 2 tall attackers and left Gerhardt at home.

- Kewell looked good if a touch rusty at times, it was pouring down and there was some good short passing going on which would have been difficult in the conditions, but it worked.

- Patrick Gerhardt and Wielaert will win an awful lot of ball both in the air and along the ground, seem quite happy to play it about too. While Gerhardt likes to play the ball from where he receives it (doesn't carry it a lot) Wielaert tended to advance it a bit, small sample size, but something to keep an eye on. Not sure of the pace of either of them, but they seemed to link up quite well.

- Aziz looked good, as did Walker, a few breakdowns between Aziz and Ramsay, but I imagine it'll sort itself out, there was also a few nice overlaps.

- Was a training run, was treated as such by the players, a few of whom were trying to take on one too many players.

• Like 2

First person to message me gets some big news I heard at the game from a great source.

Was at the game. Three glasses of wine when I reached home after driving through torrential rain, but I still can't feel my toes.

I don't know that we can draw a lot from this game. I liked Murdocca - thought he was the mainspring of everything. Also Mitchinson was lively coming forward. The defence was hardly stretched at all. Despite their goals I was not impressed by Williams, Macallister or Konstantinidis, and Dugandzic struggled to make any impact. At least two of the first half goals should have been disallowed for offside during the build-up. Kewell started slowly, but was getting into it at the end. Golgol is hot and cold. Overall, I'd say the squad has a long way to go.

Happened to be minding my own business when a certain Heart official and his cronies decided to have a chat within earshot. Not a word about Orlando Engelaar was uttered, and I didn't see that player at the ground.

What I did pick up was the word "Spain" and I got the impression that we may have someone over there at the moment and may have signed or are about to sign a player from that country.

Spain would be good. Hopefully he's a marquee and his first name starts with Javier and his last name starts with Saviola ;)

I'm sure we can't afford to buy him from Malaga however I'm pleased to hear that JA may be using some of his Primera Liga contacts to recruit from an excellent player pool. There are many first and second league clubs in financial strife who are keen to unload players, plenty of players on nominally good pay (much better than we could ever afford) however they haven't actually been paid for over 6 months, they may fancy some security in a job in Australia.

Tommykins! Not sure where you were sitting bud.... But Fuk me! That's spot on! Well said, you've obviously played the game. P.S was sitting with Billy's dad n bro the whole game, his leaving for Greece Monday and hasn't been told anything from anyone at the club, nice but shy kid and doesn't look like JA likes his style. His dad said he would take any $ offers he just wants to stay in MLB and play football, jets and victory weren't interested in what they sore in him. Murdocca best on ground by far.

My guess is they were just talking about Garruccio and Mauk going to Spain with the U19 Australian Squad, at least I think I read somewhere that's in spain?

Tommykins! Not sure where you were sitting bud.... But Fuk me! That's spot on! Well said, you've obviously played the game. P.S was sitting with Billy's dad n bro the whole game, his leaving for Greece Monday and hasn't been told anything from anyone at the club, nice but shy kid and doesn't look like JA likes his style. His dad said he would take any $ offers he just wants to stay in MLB and play football, jets and victory weren't interested in what they sore in him. Murdocca best on ground by far.

Why can't you just write Melbourne? MLB = Major League Baseball! lol

Also, "Jets and Victory weren't interested in what they sore in him"??? Well, he is Greek after all  ;)

(Billie Jean)

Billy K has scored another

He’s just a guy who bangs in goals just for fun

Konstantinidis is our son

this is ace.

Cheers mate!

Guess we'll have to wait and see if he's signed on or not  :)

Curious if anyone knows if highlights of the game will be up or if they were taken, melbfootball who usually do it didn't put much on twitter. Anyone know also the turnout for today's game?

There was a Herald Sun article on it, complete with half page photo of Kewell, so they had a photographer there

Curious if anyone knows if highlights of the game will be up or if they were taken, melbfootball who usually do it didn't put much on twitter. Anyone know also the turnout for today's game?

As they recorded the game in Shepparton and posted highlights on Youtube, MelbFootball might have done the same for this game. Can't be too sure though. The turnout was about 200 people.

My guess is they were just talking about Garruccio and Mauk going to Spain with the U19 Australian Squad, at least I think I read somewhere that's in spain?

I didn't hear either Garuccio or Mauk mentioned. There were certain other phrases used that led me to my impression. However, let's leave it at that because I may be completely on the wrong track.