Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

All we can do is continue to bring our mates to the game, hope they enjoy it and incrementally grow the club. I am as impatient as they come but we just have to wait for good results, and probably 5 years before we start seeing consistent crowds of 12k+. 

Well I think your logic is sound if everything remains the same.

Brisbane is an interesting comparison.  When I lived up there they'd average 10K to a game.  Might sound OK, but just to break even for the use of Suncorp they needed 11K, so it was a big problem and I think the main reason why the club went broke (that is wiped out the investors capital) 3 times.

I couldn't help but notice they had over 20K when Scum Fc went up there last week.  Ok Sydney always drew a better crowd (due to the long standing interstate rivalry) but clearly they broke out of the rut they were in and we all know how they did it - winning games and winning titles.  Do this and we will break out of that "slow growth" pattern we are in right now.

• Like 1

Has been stagnated for a couple of days now....as I said we won't see a large increase till the 5 gamers come in. In terms of the crowd Saturday I think there were probably 8k there just but still that's not a great figure for first game of season on a bright sunny day and we all probably have a right to be worried about where these numbers are going to come from. All we can do is continue to bring our mates to the game, hope they enjoy it and incrementally grow the club. I am as impatient as they come but we just have to wait for good results, and probably 5 years before we start seeing consistent crowds of 12k+.

So your saying that it is gonna take 5 years to gain 4,000 people, I think we will gain a lot more in that time

What I mean by good results is pretty consistent top 6 finishes, lets say 3 times/5 years. If we do happen to win a premiership or 2 (which I honestly believe we can) this would obviously,make a huge difference and would maybe even see us creep up to 14k plus within a few years. 

@Shahanga Your absolutely right, there is no way Brisbane would be where they are today without that sustained success (fairly obvious statement I know). I would go as far to say even if they had only one year of glory instead of the 2 they would still be around that 10k mark. But fair play to them they have achieved success and garnered very decent support in the process. Let's just hope we can do something similar in the next 2-3 years!

Roar averaged more bums on seats prior to their success, but burnt their own supporters by upping season tickets at the start of the 09/10 season.

Remembering in 2007/8 they averaged 18,500 for the season and 16,500 the season prior, seasons where the finished 4th and 5th in an 8 team competition.

Now they're finally getting some of those supporters back, but you wonder where they'd be if they kept their ticket prices at a reasonable level and had the success.

Roar averaged more bums on seats prior to their success, but burnt their own supporters by upping season tickets at the start of the 09/10 season.

Remembering in 2007/8 they averaged 18,500 for the season and 16,500 the season prior, seasons where the finished 4th and 5th in an 8 team competition.

Now they're finally getting some of those supporters back, but you wonder where they'd be if they kept their ticket prices at a reasonable level and had the success.

I remember reading on here somewhere that we have one of the most expensive membership deals going around, perhaps that's a major contributing factor to the number of signed on members we do get.

I remember reading on here somewhere that we have one of the most expensive membership deals going around, perhaps that's a major contributing factor to the number of signed on members we do get.

Without going round and round in circles...you can get some comparisons here: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-Memberships-most-affordable-in-the-ALeague/71756. All clubs except Perth had their prices available at the time that was written.

I'm not sure these comparisons are worth going on with because so many factors are involved. However, in our case costs for a Premium A membership have risen considerably (about 30% per home game) since season 1, because the cost of the membership has increased and the number of home games has decreased. This has probably acted as a disincentive for some people, and I must say that this season I thought pretty hard about changing to GA. I can get GA memberships for the two of us for less than the price of one Premium A.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

It had the same effect on me this season, I can cop price increases but only if the value proposition improves aswell, not sure that is happening and i will be unlikely to keep my premium a seat next season if this trend continues

Enrol at uni, receive student card, defer course before you get charged for the units that you're enrolled in. Sign up for Concession Membership!

It had the same effect on me this season, I can cop price increases but only if the value proposition improves aswell, not sure that is happening and i will be unlikely to keep my premium a seat next season if this trend continues

Enrol at uni, receive student card, defer course before you get charged for the units that you're enrolled in. Sign up for Concession Membership!

Ha I've heard of using the system !!!

Ha I've heard of using the system !!!

I got my card for 2nd semester 2012 and its good until 2016  :up:

I can get GA memberships for the two of us for less than the price of one Premium A.

Yes but then you wouldn't be able to give Ben Williams career advice as he left the ground!

(in GA myself mind bought 5 tickets)

I think Aloisi might be pleased if I moved...I've not refrained from giving him the benefit of my football knowledge over the fence...

• Like 3

I can get GA memberships for the two of us for less than the price of one Premium A.

Yes but then you wouldn't be able to give Ben Williams career advice as he left the ground!

(in GA myself mind bought 5 tickets)

I think Aloisi might be pleased if I moved...I've not refrained from giving him the benefit of my football knowledge over the fence...

Ah, so that's why his coaching has improved. Don't move!

Without going round and round in circles...you can get some comparisons here: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-Memberships-most-affordable-in-the-ALeague/71756. All clubs except Perth had their prices available at the time that was written.

I'm not sure these comparisons are worth going on with because so many factors are involved. However, in our case costs for a Premium A membership have risen considerably (about 30% per home game) since season 1, because the cost of the membership has increased and the number of home games has decreased. This has probably acted as a disincentive for some people, and I must say that this season I thought pretty hard about changing to GA. I can get GA memberships for the two of us for less than the price of one Premium A.

Made a quick table below using the figures from that link + Perth's

Adult prices

Green = cheapest red = most expensive

gvmr.png

Id buy reserved seats if the price increase wasn't so dramatic. $450 Family GA  >>>  $995 Prem B or $1150 Prem B 

Give me some middle ground in there somewhere and id move up. (Like Melbourne Victory pricing) 

Victory (Family):  Prem B is $766 & Prem A $836

Its the cheap seats for me :) 

Id buy reserved seats if the price increase wasn't so dramatic. $450 Family GA >>> $995 Prem B or $1150 Prem B

Give me some middle ground in there somewhere and id move up. (Like Melbourne Victory pricing)

Victory (Family): Prem B is $766 & Prem A $836

Its the cheap seats for me :)

Well any one new to the aleague and shopping on price for this product type ain't going to pick us, that's a massive difference.

My Prediction getting close :  :D  

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Win against CCM = 6.7K 

Avoid defeat at Perth = 6.8K 

A good performance up in Brisbane (& hopefully avoid defeat ) = 6.9K 

Kick Off V WSW = 7.1K Members - and an expected crowd of 10K ++  :up:

If they don't turn up maybe there's been some old-fashioned ALP type branch stacking going on with the membership figures :lol:

Pretty sure this is a officially a new club record. Or if not its already surpassed last years.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I remember hearing we had approx. 7,200 in season 2. We were as high as second around half way through the season and 5 game memberships would've been selling well. So unless this season turns into complete shit, we should pass that easily. 

Without going round and round in circles...you can get some comparisons here: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/newcastlejets/news-display/Jets-Memberships-most-affordable-in-the-ALeague/71756. All clubs except Perth had their prices available at the time that was written.

Made a quick table below using the figures from that link + Perth's

Adult prices

Green = cheapest red = most expensive

gvmr.png

I am sure ours are so expensive because of the stadium. Newly built and probably heavily in debt. And our club is small and can't afford to subsidize as much as mv could. It's unfortunate but it's one of those awkward situations where they would be made more cheaper with more members and attendances but they are expensive which can put people off.

I know we sometimes bag the admin of the club but I could not be more happier with how our club is run. We always seem to be ahead of other clubs of lots of things. 3rd kit comp. that heart zone thing. The college of football and it's these things in time that will lead to an identity and culture for the club

• Like 1

Let's not forget that we don't have a Category C, whereas Melbourne Victory does. So although our 'cheapest Reserved Seating' is more expensive, Victory's Category C seats ($235) are the same location as our General Admission seats ($225).

Mind you, Victory's Prem B seats are $343 and Prem A are $455 whereas ours are $430 and $575 respectively! For a new club like Heart trying to get a foothold in an AFL and Victory dominated city it's quite absurd to be charging such high prices... especially when we're struggling to crack 7,000 members!

• Like 3

The question needs to be asked, would a cheap membership relate to more members?

Is the Melbourne sporting public cost conscious or would they pay for a good product?

At the moment, in all departments we aren't a good product. So how can we charge premium prices?

I think you are being overly harsh on the club. They have done nothing wrong in the off season, everything that posters on here were demanding the club to do they have done. The only department that isn't a good product is the football department. I know it is a the most important department of our club and we should all be worried with the results of the first three games, but I feel that you look for any excuse to have a go at the club. We shouldn't accept mediocrity, but we do need to give credit where credit is due..

• Like 3

The question needs to be asked, would a cheap membership relate to more members?

Is the Melbourne sporting public cost conscious or would they pay for a good product?

At the moment, in all departments we aren't a good product. So how can we charge premium prices?

I think you are being overly harsh on the club. They have done nothing wrong in the off season, everything that posters on here were demanding the club to do they have done. The only department that isn't a good product is the football department. I know it is a the most important department of our club and we should all be worried with the results of the first three games, but I feel that you look for any excuse to have a go at the club. We shouldn't accept mediocrity, but we do need to give credit where credit is due..

Whoa whoa.

All a bit sensitive here.

All I said was we are not producing a good product in any department. I actually meant the football on the pitch and the crowd numbers off it. Who that is new to the game would look at us on tv and say, yep I wanna go see them?

In a market where it is us vs Victory, who do you think these people would want to see? We are losing more and more of the market every week.

The style of play is horrendous. In my efforts I had many people take an interest and watch us on telly for our first three games. I will show you the text I get from these people I'm trying to convert.

Everyone knows my opinion on the people at the club. I am yet to be proved wrong, but my posting won't be about them. This was purely a question on our product. Right now, we have an inferior one to the only other competition in town.

This needs to be rectified. Year 4 and still can't crack 7,000 members? No problem though.

• Like 1

Whoa whoa.

All I said was we are not producing a good product in any department. I actually meant the football on the pitch and the crowd numbers off it. Who that is new to the game would look at us on tv and say, yep I wanna go see them?

In a market where it is us vs Victory, who do you think these people would want to see? We are losing more and more of the market every week.

The style of play is horrendous. In my efforts I had many people take an interest and watch us on telly for our first three games. I will show you the text I get from these people I'm trying to convert.

Everyone knows my opinion on the people at the club. I am yet to be proved wrong, but my posting won't be about them. This was purely a question on our product. Right now, we have an inferior one to the only other competition in town.

This needs to be rectified. Year 4 and still can't crack 7,000 members? No problem though.

I'm really worried about our two upcoming home games against WSW and Sydney which are both on a Friday night, therefore being shown on free-to-air for the first time and against two incredibly well-supported clubs.

If we produce the same crap we have been so far this season, we're going to have some real trouble attracting any potential new fans to follow and support our club which is disappointing considering the brilliant work we've done off the field this season. 

It's purely the on-field department which is letting us down and unfortunately, it's the most important part.

• Like 1

Whoa whoa.

I'm really worried about our two upcoming home games against WSW and Sydney which are both on a Friday night, therefore being shown on free-to-air for the first time and against two incredibly well-supported clubs.

If we produce the same crap we have been so far this season, we're going to have some real trouble attracting any potential new fans to follow and support our club which is disappointing considering the brilliant work we've done off the field this season. 

It's purely the on-field department which is letting us down and unfortunately, it's the most important part.

I worry every week now. I look to the stands and hope, hope there will be new faces and we go past 10,000 attendants. 

I long to see the wings full, the Yarraside end in full, but alas, this doesn't happen.

Why do we stink so much that we can't attract people to our club? Why aren't people even bothered to come out on a nice day and observe our football?

The goals and aims of the first season have not been reached by the 4th season. In any other business I know or have seen this would be terminal and changes would be made. 

Until we enhance our product, our message, our image, our style, we will just keep on hoping instead of achieving.

• Like 1