Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Brent McGrath? Can't say I know much about him but he doesn't really excite me. Would rather big Billy K.

Billy: has to trail with club and spent all his career in Greek 2nd division

McGrath: played 3 seasons at biggest club in Denmark plus has played for socceroos

I know who I would rather

Sooo stop keeping us in suspense...who would you rather?  :P

Brent McGrath? Can't say I know much about him but he doesn't really excite me. Would rather big Billy K.

Billy: has to trail with club and spent all his career in Greek 2nd division

McGrath: played 3 seasons at biggest club a club on the slide that just avoided relegation and was on the brink of financial ruin in Denmark plus has played for socceroos

I know who I would rather

FTFY.

Brondby last won the league in 2004/5. They've finished 9th in the past 2 seasons and were on the brink of bankruptcy only a few months ago.

McGrath struggled for game time last season in a poor side, if he were to be signed I'd hope he'd be expected to come on trial 1st, because he's really an unknown quantity. 

Even we should be taling about this in the other thread, ill continue here...

Afaik, Billy is heading back to Greece soon, even after his semi-successful trial here. His missus is Greek and still lives there, fwiw.

I reckon McGrath would be good here, but he is a similar forward to Kewell and plays a lot like a false 9, holding up, releasing the wingers, etc...

However, we could do some real damage if it all fell in to place, we have plenty of depth in attack, and if our big-hitters (Kewell, Engerlaar, Gerhardt) could stay relatively injury free we could do some real damage.

• Like 1

40 appearances for Brondby with 2 goals and 4 assists according to wiki. Not the greatest stats but we have seen young players do well in the A-League coming back from overseas once they get some better opportunities and more game time. He has played for Australia under Holger so he must have seen some quality in him.

40 appearances for Brondby with 2 goals and 4 assists according to wiki. Not the greatest stats but we have seen young players do well in the A-League coming back from overseas once they get some better opportunities and more game time. He has played for Australia under Holger so he must have seen some quality in him.

He hasn't really played that many minutes, that's why tbh.

Stats from 2009-13

League: 39 apps (14 starts), 1522 Minutes, 2 Goals

Cup: 3 apps (0 starts), 69 Minutes, 1 Goals

Europa: 2 apps (1 starts), 117 Minutes, 0 Goals

Australia: 1 apps (0 starts), 1 Minute, 0 Goals

http://au.soccerway.com/players/brent-mcgrath/123274/

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Billy: has to trail with club and spent all his career in Greek 2nd divisionMcGrath: played 3 seasons at biggest club in Denmark plus has played for socceroosI know who I would rather

I'd rather Garcia over both!

I am not sure if this has been posted already but 442 have confirmed the signing. Great news! Way to go on your sources Sharpy!

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/278904,heart-sign-eredivisie-veteran-as-marquee.aspx

FORMER PSV central midfielder Orlando Engelaar was today confirmed as Melbourne Heart's new marquee star after the deal was revealed overnight by au.fourfourtwo.com.

The towering Dutchman and former international was released by the Eredivise powerhouse after making 10 appearances for the club last season.

Engelaar, 33, trialed with English Premier League side West Ham last month and played in a 2-0 preseason win against Bournemouth.

At 1.98 metres the left-footer is an imposing presence in the box and known for his heading ability. He had been training with his former club NAC Breda ahead of the new season.

Engelaar spent his youth career at Feyenoord and has also played for FC Twente. He was capped 14 times for the Netherlands and made his last appearance for the national team in 2010.

Today Melbourne Heart head coach John Aloisi said he was delighted to bring in a player of such international pedigree and overall football quality.

“I am confident that Orlando will be one of the most accomplished midfielders that has come to play football in Australia,” said Aloisi.

“The club has worked hard for a number of seasons to attract a player who can dominate and control matches from midfield and we believe that we have found that player.”

“You don’t pull the strings in the midfield for the Dutch national team unless you have some special qualities. We can’t wait for the season to get started and, with this signing, believe that we have given football fans something to get really excited about.”

Engelaar recently spent a week in Melbourne meeting the club’s coaches, players and staff before returning to the Netherlands to make a final decision.

“The club was able to show Orlando around the city and arrange for him to spend some time at training, so he knows the technical level and knows what we as coaches will expect of him”, said Aloisi.

“Meeting Orlando, and hearing his views on football and his motivations for coming to Australia, makes me very excited about the impact he will have on our club and the Hyundai A-League.”

Engelaar will arrive back in Melbourne late next week when he will immediately commence training upon joining his new team-mates.

McGrath was signed at Brondby to replace David Williams (who was playing as a striker for them, and had just agreed to return to Australia and play for NQ), for what it's worth.

No, they both joined Brondby in 2006. McGrath was initially in the youth set-up though...

McGrath was signed at Brondby to replace David Williams (who was playing as a striker for them, and had just agreed to return to Australia and play for NQ), for what it's worth.

No, they both joined Brondby in 2006. McGrath was initially in the youth set-up though...

Ah, fair call.

I saw 09/10 season, but didn't see that was actually when he was promoted from youth.

My apologies.

He hasn't really played that many minutes, that's why tbh.

Stats from 2009-13

League: 39 apps (14 starts), 1522 Minutes, 2 Goals

Cup: 3 apps (0 starts), 69 Minutes, 1 Goals

Europa: 2 apps (1 starts), 117 Minutes, 0 Goals

Australia: 1 apps (0 starts), 1 Minute, 0 Goals

http://au.soccerway.com/players/brent-mcgrath/123274/

I think these stats make McGrath's goals to games ratio insignificant. He didn't start many games, and even when he did it seems he was often subbed off before full time.

It should be remembered as well that Corey Gameiro did very well at Wellington last season, by most accounts, despite the fact that he only scored 1 goal over 7 games (and he played 90 minutes for 4 of those games, and roughly 70 minutes for the other 3). Maybe because Wellington struggled last season and Brondby have struggled over recent seasons, it's even more difficult to judge strikers, as they can't score often if there isn't supply.

Brondby have also been interested in re-signing him as recently as late May/June, so they see something in him. Also, Postecogelou rated him and made him the youngest Joey (U 17) player around 2006, and he's featured in the U 20's and even had a Socceroos cap. Many see something in him.

I reckon we'll have multiple goal scorers next season as well, with Kewell, Golgol, Dugandzic regularly chipping in. Williams, Ramsay and quite possibly Engelaar will probably score a couple of goals as well. Hence, we wouldn't be too dependent on McGrath. So I think he could do a solid job at Heart. He'd be the 'flexible attacking option' that Didulica said Heart were looking for.

He could also be a marquee. A junior Australian marquee, that is, as he'll be under 23 until June next year. I reckon we could get him for a reasonable price though, but it's good to know that he wouldn't have to eat into the salary cap. 

Edited by Murfy1

we should have kept Tadic. He only needed decent service to score 

I agree.  Don't know if this is the club's fault though, my gut feeling is we wanted him to stay but he wanted out.

He did not want to stay. Club stated that they would keep in touch with him during our off-season in terms of what might happen in 2013-14, but it's clear that he wanted to stay back in Croatia.

Not our fault in this instance.

we should have kept Tadic. He only needed decent service to score 

I agree.  Don't know if this is the club's fault though, my gut feeling is we wanted him to stay but he wanted out.

I wouldn't worry about losing him too much tbh, all we need is someone to tap in goals, there's heaps of blokes like that out there

Within the next 7 days probably the next 2-4 days we will get great news.... stay tuned, it has gotten me so pumped I hope its not a let down

This has been spelt out to me as being HUGE !!

I seriously can't say much more than this but it does relate to this thread topic and is in a position that we have been talking about needing to sign...