Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

sharpy thought that might of been the case.

which tends to make it even more of a plus should of course he sign.  only worry for me is that neither him or Murdocca are that young - great amount of experience but worryingly lacks youthful exuberance

Edited by mattyh001

Sorry im lost.

Someone PM me and tell me.

getting smashed at work so a little brain fried here lol

This bloke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Engelaar

Would be off tit if we got him

Thanks mate.

Gotta be honest and say that i dont know much about the bloke, but he looks like a big bloke and his club list looks pretty impressive.

Will boss the midfield like a mofo

498 minutes of league football in the last 2 seasons FWIW. 4 eredivisie starts :/

Injury problems aswell apparently.

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side... Edited by LR9

498 minutes of league football in the last 2 seasons FWIW. 4 eredivisie starts :/

Injury problems aswell apparently.

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side...

Google his name with the word injury after it and there's many articles all from different times in the last 5 years. Even chat on a PES stats forum about how he should be more injury prone in the game as he's always injured (written by someone who was obviously keeping tabs on him).

Really hope he isn't our marquee.

Would be a top class signing, which is why I suggested him 9 days ago. Heart is aiming for the right type of player if this is true, IMO.

He's played over 300 European matches across his career, and he was playing for the Netherlands between 2008 and 2010. Also, he's got a cannon of a left foot and can score goals, and is a capable free kick taker. 

He was injured for a handful of weeks during 2012, but he has only been injured for, at most, 7 weeks over the past 4 years. Also, Westham and NEC Brada wouldn't have shown an interest in him in recent weeks if he wasn't still a good player.

Given that Sibon was our international marquee during our first season, I wouldn't mind if Orlando was classed as our international marquee next season. Sibon was 36 then, and Orlando would be 33 next season. He could give us a few great seasons. Although he wouldn't be a proper 'name' marquee, he could help us have a very successful season, and that would bring people to Heart. It would be a real coup if Heart were able to secure Orlando, so I wouldn't mind how we signed him.

Scott Munn said last Thursday: "We've still got a large amount of money left in our salary cap. I'd expect at the minimum at least one more signing to be a foreign player and possibly two. And that will happen over the next two to three weeks."  (http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/08/01/4157076/aloisi-heart-closing-in-on-key-midfielder), so I guess we should find out if we've secured this guy by Thursday next week, or Thursday the week after that.

Edited by Murfy1

Well, let's be realistic here. He wouldn't be on a free transfer if he had been regularly playing 90 minutes in the Eredivisie with PSV. He's in the twilight of his career, but with summer football and 27 league matches plus careful management he can do a job for us.

There are risks in taking any player.

• Like 4

Here's a tweet from a sports journalist, Ryan Reynolds, that he tweeted about an hour ago:

Hearing good news coming out of @MelbourneHeart in regards to a new import DM. Great work if true @Jdidulica !

Hopefully he relies on more than internet forums for his information..

Ha he is an Everton supporting twitter mate of mine so I'm presuming he's going off the shit I've been tweeting.

It's up to Heart to convince Orlando to sign, he wouldn't have come out here if he wasn't interested.

I think it's not a matter of 'will he sign or will he not?' I think it's a matter of, 'was it him or was it not?'

And no disregard to Sharpy's mate, but there's no 100% guarantee that it was him (trying to have a conservative approach here).

Theoretically, if it wasn't him then we move on, it's not him. 

If it was him, why would he come out to Australia if he wasn't going to sign or not already signed? He is clearly above a trial at a club such as Melbourne Heart. He has played football with both Robbie W and Stef Nijland so no doubt he has spoken to them, and quite possibly van't schip too. The only reason I could think of would be to check out the scenery and lifestyle if the aforementioned players/staff had not detailed him enough on that. But then again, I don't recall Del Piero, Heskey or even Ono coming to check out the scenery and lifestyle before signing.

IF it was him, then my best bet would be that he has already signed and that he was checking out training and knew that he was watching the team who he would soon play for. Again, IF it was him, I can't see the club being able to hide him away tomorrow in front of fans, and some people will know exactly who he is. Perhaps we'll have a new player unveiled to the fans before kick-off?

Garcia on twitter "wasn't even close to that figure, club are looking at another player and can't continue with me until his deal is sorted."

So player being 'looked at' would presumably a salary cap player.

Although if we used all remaining cap this player, we could still agree to what ever Garcia wants, and claim RG as marquee.

Eh I guess 'hope' the club knows what they're doing :/

Garcia on twitter "wasn't even close to that figure, club are looking at another player and can't continue with me until his deal is sorted."

Although if we used all remaining cap this player, we could still agree to what ever Garcia wants, and claim RG as marquee.

so by that tweet, potentially after this deal with the player (orlando engelaar as we assume) is "sorted" , there is still a possibility they will re-open negotiations with garcia and make a deal?

so by that tweet, potentially after this deal with the player (orlando engelaar as we assume) is "sorted" , there is still a possibility they will re-open negotiations with garcia and make a deal?

Someone on Twitter asked Garcia if negotiations could resume later, and he said "it is still possible".

I don't quite understand what makes our player finances that complicated. A few days ago Munn said Heart have "a large amount of money" left under the salary cap. We also have our Australian marquee position left, and our international marquee position left as well. That means we can afford 1 expensive VISA player, 1 expensive Australian player, and 1 player worth "a large amount of money" under our salary cap (who can be either foreign or Australian).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Someone on Twitter asked Garcia if negotiations could resume later, and he said "it is still possible".

I don't quite understand what makes our player finances that complicated. A few days ago Munn said Heart have "a large amount of money" left under the salary cap. We also have our Australian marquee position left, and our international marquee position left as well. That means we can afford 1 expensive VISA player, 1 expensive Australian player, and 1 player worth "a large amount of money" under our salary cap (who can be either foreign or Australian).

Was thinking the same thing, I guess it's just the club being stingy as always ahahaha

Murf, I think you may be over-estimating the amount of money that Scott Munn alluded to in his use of the phrase "...a large amount of money." We have already signed 20 players, and they're not all going to be on the basic wage. Far from it. I doubt that he's referring to more than $800,000, and more likely he's referring to less than that. We are pursuing a quality DM and a quality striker for two of the remaining positions, and I would imagine that they will eat up that remaining amount. Anything more than that and one of them would have to be classed as a marquee.

More likely than not I think we will sign just the two more players, both foreign, and call it a day then. We are still trying to run a sustainable football club.

JD on SEN makes it sound like most of our eggs are in the Midfielder basket, didnt sound overly encouraging about a new Striker or Garcia. Hopefully theres a signature in the next week and they can turn their focus elsewhere.

Well we do have Dmac and the Hoff to lead the line..