Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Lifting the salary cap is a game Australia wont win, The aim should be to sell players on for profit and then re'invest back into the local gameĀ 

It's not a simple equation that can be fixed by one "magic bullet."Ā "Profits" from transfers wouldn't even offset the losses the owners presently make.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What a waste. No incentive, no loans to NPL? U23 I can be happy with though.

Just a band-aid applied to a gaping flesh wound by the FFA

Ā 

"Look daddy FIFA, look! are you happy with me now? I have done so much for the league daddy FIFA"

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, haz said:

What a waste. No incentive, no loans to NPL? U23 I can be happy with though.

Just a band-aid applied to a gaping flesh wound by the FFA

Ā 

"Look daddy FIFA, look! are you happy with me now? I have done so much for the league daddy FIFA"

Why would you loan to the NPL when you already have your own npl side ?Ā 

8 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Why would you loan to the NPL when you already have your own npl side ?Ā 

Not all team's NPL clubs play in NPL1. Plus, for example the VIC NPL is much higher quality then QLD NPL.

15 hours ago, haz said:

Not all team's NPL clubs play in NPL1. Plus, for example the VIC NPL is much higher quality then QLD NPL.

Also you might be playing lets say a striker and you have another as good but can't get a sniff. Why not loan him to get minutes.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty obvious, isn't it. Even if the deal was done, you'd think they'd wait a week before going public.

Its really not. The talk about the new loan rules was happening even before the season finished, it makes sense that the clubs knew pretty much what the rules were going to be and recruited accordingly, they were just waiting on the final tick off from FFA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Its really not. The talk about the new loan rules was happening even before the season finished, it makes sense that the clubs knew pretty much what the rules were going to be and recruited accordingly, they were just waiting on the final tick off from FFA.

Yea it was talked about, but for FFA to implement it at this time (in pre-season) after we turned down DDS and Sydney wanted to sign him does make the timing sus.

No different to when Victory got Archie for that long-term player and we got Cahill. They implement the rules to benefit teams, not the league as a whole.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea it was talked about, but for FFA to implement it at this time (in pre-season) after we turned down DDS and Sydney wanted to sign him does make the timing sus.

No different to when Victory got Archie for that long-term player and we got Cahill. They implement the rules to benefit teams, not the league as a whole.

Tbh i think that first point isĀ completely the wrong path to do down. The clubs would have known exactly what was going on months ago, even if FFA hadn't presented a finalisedĀ official document. I'd suggest the Da Silva deal was probably done a couple of weeks ago but they couldn't announce it until the FFA had announced their loan rules officially.
The reality is that its probably still to early for most clubs to put a loan deal in place because their squads arent complete yet and they don't have a clear picture; DaSilva is a one a bit left of centre because he is different to the intended targets of this rule due to beingĀ a young player that's already established and has some contract scenarios complicating things.

Your 2nd point is generally correct;Ā the FFA have traditionally been very reactive to player signing/issues and have made up rules on the spot to accommodate them. This case i think is different because the rule had been mooted far before it was even known that DaSilva wanted out of CCM.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I didn't think this rule would be used for a player like DDS but there you go.Ā 

I'm more interested in seeing if it is used for players like Lachlan Scott, Lokolingoy etc.Ā 

IMO that's the key point. DDS hardly qualifies as someone who's being held back from getting senior experience. He played regularly in the A-League in 14/15 and 17/18, and has had some experience in the Eredivisie as well (although he missed a long time due to injury).

Ā 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Do you think we'd have let Tongyik go if we knew that this was coming - or would we have waited to loan him instead? If this was going to apply it should have been introduced on 1st June when the new A-league contract period began, notĀ 25th July.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Do you think we'd have let Tongyik go if we knew that this was coming - or would we have waited to loan him instead? If this was going to apply it should have been introduced on 1st June when the new A-league contract period began, notĀ 25th July.

Yes, for a couple of reasons.
1 - he was out of contract and imo would have wanted to go anyway.
2 - even if we had him contracted, imo we had already marked his card as not being professional enough to continue with us. There's no point him occupying a spot on our list if we have no intention of keeping him, unless you think he will attract a transfer fee. Given transfer fees aren't allowed in the A-League, the chance of that is fairly low.

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think that first point isĀ completely the wrong path to do down. The clubs would have known exactly what was going on months ago, even if FFA hadn't presented a finalisedĀ official document. I'd suggest the Da Silva deal was probably done a couple of weeks ago but they couldn't announce it until the FFA had announced their loan rules officially.
The reality is that its probably still to early for most clubs to put a loan deal in place because their squads arent complete yet and they don't have a clear picture; DaSilva is a one a bit left of centre because he is different to the intended targets of this rule due to beingĀ a young player that's already established and has some contract scenarios complicating things.

Your 2nd point is generally correct;Ā the FFA have traditionally been very reactive to player signing/issues and have made up rules on the spot to accommodate them. This case i think is different because the rule had been mooted far before it was even known that DaSilva wanted out of CCM.

Yea as @jw1739 said above, I am sure the loan rule was always going to happen, but I doubt with FFA's consistency many clubs had much idea what was going on (see 3+1 rule). Once Sydney came knocking, It would have been fast-tracked

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yes, for a couple of reasons.
1 - he was out of contract and imo would have wanted to go anyway.
2 - even if we had him contracted, imo we had already marked his card as not being professional enough to continue with us. There's no point him occupying a spot on our list if we have no intention of keeping him, unless you think he will attract a transfer fee. Given transfer fees aren't allowed in the A-League, the chance of that is fairly low.

2 - There was no way he was getting a sniff with Bort and Jako in the backline

Just now, haz said:

Yea as @jw1739 said above, I am sure the loan rule was always going to happen, but I doubt with FFA's consistency many clubs had much idea what was going on (see 3+1 rule). Once Sydney came knocking, It would have been fast-tracked

Disagree tbh. The usual process with most competitions and rule/policy changes is that the clubs are sent drafts of the rule changeĀ  and are then asked to pick out any holes, inconsistenciesĀ etc before the final version is presented. Given the way the FFA announced they were looking at loans back in April/May, I'd suggest they were already a fair way advanced in the formation of the rule changes to be bold enough to announce them publically.

52 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Disagree tbh. The usual process with most competitions and rule/policy changes is that the clubs are sent drafts of the rule changeĀ  and are then asked to pick out any holes, inconsistenciesĀ etc before the final version is presented. Given the way the FFA announced they were looking at loans back in April/May, I'd suggest they were already a fair way advanced in the formation of the rule changes to be bold enough to announce them publically.

We'll never know. Just wish they were organised/annouced a bit better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In eight years I don't recall a single change that has been without some delay in the timetable or controversy over its eventual form.

Im sure their pay rises and the player rego costs werent delayed....

Big if true

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/australian-a-league/story/3573432/a-league-salary-cap-may-be-abolished-with-new-collective-bargaining-agreement

A-League salary cap may be abolished with new collective bargaining agreement

The A-League salary cap could be abolished and transfer fees finally permitted between clubs as part of a new collective bargaining agreement due to come into effect next year.

Dramatic changes to the competition's "contractual architecture" will be on the table as part of a full review of the current CBA, which expires at the end of this coming season.

A working group featuring representatives from the A-League clubs, Football Federation Australia and Professional Footballers Australia has been formed to discuss all possibilities.

The A-League has had a salary cap since its inception but there is a growing view that it isn't fulfilling its intended purposes -- equalising the competition and ensuring clubs stay within their financial means.

Similarly, intra-league transfer fees have been prohibited since the A-League's inception.

The recent introduction of loan moves for players under the age of 23 -- which allowed Daniel De Silva to make his long-awaited shift from Central Coast to Sydney FC -- is seen as the first step towards a full-blown domestic transfer system like in most other countries, where clubs exchange fees to sign players on a permanent basis.

The Mariners were determined not to release De Silva to a rival for free, which many A-League clubs often end up doing when faced with a wantaway player under the current CBA.

"All those things will be on the table and decided in the next nine months so that the new CBA has had all those matters laid before it, reviewed and agreed or disagreed," A-League chief Greg O'Rourke told AAP.

PFA chief executive John Didulica said the players' union would push for the salary cap to be dismantled and for transfers between A-League clubs to be allowed, saying it was in the "best interests" of the competition and the sport in Australia.

Didulica believes it would help slow the high churn rate of players in the A-League and also encourage clubs to sign young talent on longer-term contracts.

"Our position will be that the salary cap does more harm to the game in this country than good," Didulica told AAP.

"What we're seeing is so many young players signed to short-term deals -- more than 50 percent of players under the age of 21 are signed for one year.

"We've just got to reassess the entire contracting architecture so that we can allow players to grow and develop, so clubs are incentivised to invest in players, and then allow clubs to build value in their rosters."

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

As some input to the question "how does the a-league compare to other leagues?". http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/how-a-league-sides-fair-in-global-club-rankings-as-melbourne/1s9kb3gh91dma1t2t5ht1zuxl9

Website FiveThirtyEight have crunched the numbers of 576 footballs clubs from around the globe to see which are the strongest and the weakest.

" Unsurprisingly, no A-League sideĀ cracks the top 100, but after claiming a fourthĀ championship Melbourne Victory are the highest ranked sitting at 185th - two places higher than English side Leeds United.

A little further back sit Sydney FC in 193rd with Superliga sideĀ VĆ©lez Sarsfield and Swiss side Zurich on either side of the Sky Blues.

Going down the listĀ Melbourne City are 277th, Newcastle Jets 354th, Western Sydney Wanderers 403rd, Perth Glory 409th, Brisbane Roar 416th and Adelaide United 426th.Ā 

Wellington Phoenix have been ranked 500th with last season's wooden spooners Central Coast Mariners rounding out the A-League contingent at 528th.

The dreaded final spot on the 576 strong list went to English League Two outfit Grimsby Town."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

honda made team of the weekĀ :facepalm:Ā ugly cunt wank fest begins
scored a header, did nothing else and couldn't keep up with Mcgree for the winner, top stuffĀ :clap:

I thought his performance was a little overrated, but i reckon you're being pretty harsh there. He was still Victory's best player on the night and arguably best on pitch alongside Ritchie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

honda made team of the weekĀ :facepalm:Ā ugly cunt wank fest begins
scored a header, did nothing else and couldn't keep up with Mcgree for the winner, top stuffĀ :clap:

Taggart also got in too. It seemed scoring a goal was all you needed to make the TOTW

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

'It is my dream to be a professional football player'

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Joey Champness quitting football to pursue his "music" career........this could be the stupidest decision he'll make in life. Even stupider could be Newcastles decision to give him an upgraded deal if he decides he wants to play in 20/21 season. 12 months of nose beers and partying in the US will have him in tip top shape for next season.

• Like 1

A-League club owners launch ā€˜100 daysā€™ blueprint to kickstart competitionā€™s renewal

AUGUST 13, 2019

A-League club owners have begun a ā€œfirst 100 daysā€ blitz to revolutionise the way the competition is marketed and run, with widespread investment promised to combat sliding ratings and attendances.

After years spent wresting control of their own competition from Football Federation Australia, owners revealed plans to hitting the ground running with transfers between clubs, prize money for successful teams, a 16-team expansion plan and ā€” most immediately ā€” a digital-led campaign to drive awareness among sports fans.

The plans were presented to CEOs, coaches and staff of the clubs at a two-day summit in Double Bay.

Officials described the ownersā€™ presentation as ā€œevangelicalā€ in underlining the urgent need to combat the sense of inertia that has gripped the competition for the past two years.

Stream every game of The FFA Cup Round of 16 LIVE & Anytime on KAYO SPORTS.Ā Get your 14 day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Captain Alex Brosque holds the A-League trophy as Sydney FC players celebrate winning last seasonā€™s grand final. Picture: Getty Images Captain Alex Brosque holds the A-League trophy as Sydney FC players celebrate winning last seasonā€™s grand final. Picture: Getty Images

The 100 days appears to spring from the August 1 date that the clubs effectively began running the league through to the early rounds of the new season, with promises from the owners of immediate spending on higher quality digital engagement, and mimicking ticketing strategies used in other codes successfully via social media campaigns.

Club officials said the presentation, led by Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow and Melbourne City vice chairman Simon Pearce, plotted a pathway into the future to include a 16-team competition via a regionally targeted expansion plan and an international ā€œroadshowā€ seeking fresh investment.

The competition has had 10 teams since 2012 but welcomes an 11th club, Western United, this coming season, with Macarthur United joining the season after.

Western United coach Mark Rudan. United will join the A-League next season. Picture: AAP Western United coach Mark Rudan. United will join the A-League next season. Picture: AAP

All footballing elements of the A-League are up for discussion in the new model, the owners said, with the salary cap under review and consideration of prize money being awarded based on performance.

The minor premiers would get a share of that, while a season opener inspired by Englandā€™s Community Shield would pit the minor premiers against the champions. A ā€œsinking fundā€ would be established to support clubs struggling financially.

Much of the presentation compared the A-League with leagues overseas in benchmarks from attendances to squad value, with the owners making clear they expect their plans to quickly reverse Australiaā€™s decline compared with other countries.

A-League club owners are aiming to introduce a season opener similar to Englandā€™s Community Shield. Picture: AFP A-League club owners are aiming to introduce a season opener similar to Englandā€™s Community Shield. Picture: AFP

The new strategy was presented as a reboot of the competition, with coaches and football staff told that the league will try to innovate with both its broadcast access and its rules, aiming to be a competition that allows FIFA to trial initiatives ā€” as it did with VAR.

Under the agreement reached in June between the clubs and the member federations that run the game at grassroots level, the clubs will pay a percentage of their broadcast revenue to FFA each year to be allowed to run their own competition, though not for the first four seasons.

Much of the blueprint echoes the establishment of the English Premier League, including the competitionā€™s referees being spun off into a separate body independent of the clubs and FFA.

https://outline.com/ZuGYMb

There look to be some good ideas here. One thing I'd like to see, especially as we move to a 16-club competition, is to lengthen the season rather thanĀ jam so many matches into a 6-month season and then have a nearly six-months off-season where everyone other than die-hard fans forgets about the league altogether. Instead of the clubs looking for "pre-season" matches, and playing some behind closed doors, I reckon we should be starting about now with a League Cup competition. Divide the clubs into two groups (they wouldn't always be equal if we have an odd number of clubs) and then have each club play the others in its group once. Again there'd be some home/away imbalance while we have an odd number of clubs but that's not a major problem IMO.Ā Then the top two in each group go into the semis (random draw) and then a final.Ā