Melbourne Football

FFA Cup (Rd. of 32) v. Campbelltown City (SA) 31/7/19 (Away)

citypool

14 hours ago, Harrison said:

Campbelltown City. 

Tough draw. I understand they are current NPL Champions. Will be a tricky one for Mombaerts first up. But IMO better to be playing decent opponents than not, as it's better for the club in the longer term.

13 hours ago, bt50 said:

I'd be shocked if Birra doesnt get first crack tbh. We're still 4 weeks out so i reckon that everyone is still on the cards at this stage.

I'd say it would be a 50-50 call at the moment, I'd say Erik doesn't know either well so whoever impresses him will get the nod 

15 hours ago, Dylan said:

Im surprise the annual whinging about everyone else having already started preseason but not us, hassnt started

Don't get too despondent too soon. I'm sure the general moaning will start once our recruitment is completed and comparisons start with the other clubs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Don't get too despondent too soon. I'm sure the general moaning will start once our recruitment is completed and comparisons start with the other clubs.

It will start some rounds in when we realise that we’ve lost the hidden gem factor. With 3 underwhelming forward visa players with 2 South Americans from distant leagues and unknown clubs and the confirmation that dud players from lower French leagues aren’t the answer to fill in Marquee spots.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, jw1739 said:

Actually I say that but now I will admit I feel a tiny bit worried about this game haha. The early FFA cup games against NPL opponents have become huge banana skins for aleague clubs in the last couple of years and these guys are NPL champions

We're playing the Round of 32 on almost exactly the same dates as last year. With the seasons of the leagues not coinciding I don't think this issue can be avoided. If we start training earlier, then the pre-season is absurdly long. Unless we can agree to have the same seasons, then I would like to see the A-League start 3-4 weeks earlier (we'll have to if we expand to 14-16 teams) and then pre-season could start earlier too. But then we would likely not have signed any new visa players by then.... It's almost a no-win situation as it stands at present.

"The Roar have four more pre-season fixtures before starting their season with a FFA Cup round-of-32 clash with A-League champions Sydney FC on August 7 at Leichhardt Oval"

So the roar will have at least 5 pre-season games to prepare for the FFA cup and we are having 2. Will we be a bit underdone for the clash against Campbelltown City? They are League leaders in SA NPL. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, citymad said:

"The Roar have four more pre-season fixtures before starting their season with a FFA Cup round-of-32 clash with A-League champions Sydney FC on August 7 at Leichhardt Oval"

So the roar will have at least 5 pre-season games to prepare for the FFA cup and we are having 2. Will we be a bit underdone for the clash against Campbelltown City? They are League leaders in SA NPL. 

That's true but you are assuming there won't be any other lets say unofficial games. I'm pretty confident that they have considered all possible options and decided this timetable well in advance. 

I also don't think they would be going into this game thinking it's a given. The new coach would obviously want to win his first game.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Heartman said:

That's true but you are assuming there won't be any other lets say unofficial games. I'm pretty confident that they have considered all possible options and decided this timetable well in advance. 

I also don't think they would be going into this game thinking it's a given. The new coach would obviously want to win his first game.  

Some clubs make a lot of noise about their pre-season, others keep much of it quiet. I think history shows that we are in the latter group. I'm confident Mombaerts knows what he's doing. IIRC we've also got almost all our squad signed and training earlier than in previous seasons, which adds to my confidence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Some clubs make a lot of noise about their pre-season, others keep much of it quiet. I think history shows that we are in the latter group. I'm confident Mombaerts knows what he's doing. IIRC we've also got almost all our squad signed and training earlier than in previous seasons, which adds to my confidence.

We will inevitably hear retrospectively about intra-club friendlies at CFA and the like. I agree - we do seem to be in the latter. Looking forward to the pre season games coming up (and the cold).

6 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Interesting article jw, but where do these journalists get the idea we are cash rich so that should make us invincible, we are still under the salary-cap so we are in effect no more cashed up the any other A-League club

I think it's a convenient jibe more than anything.

Although outside of the salary cap we would appear to have an advantage over all the other clubs, because theoretically we can throw money at coaches, back-room staff, scouts, facilities etc., in practice CFG have said time and again that we have a budget to adhere to just like every other part of the CFG business. This is conveniently ignored by the media.

But IMO it is something that is going to be thrown at us regularly. Especially when we under-perform (as regrettably we have done so far).

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think it's a convenient jibe more than anything.

Although outside of the salary cap we would appear to have an advantage over all the other clubs, because theoretically we can throw money at coaches, back-room staff, scouts, facilities etc., in practice CFG have said time and again that we have a budget to adhere to just like every other part of the CFG business. This is conveniently ignored by the media.

But IMO it is something that is going to be thrown at us regularly. Especially when we under-perform (as regrettably we have done so far).

It's not just the media, it's our own fans too. Most of the City fans that are particularly disaffected are that way because of the expectations they, and the media/rival fans put on us.
In saying that, MV have a lot of expectation put on them by their fans too, and over the past few seasons it appears theyve thrived under it whilst we've withered under it. Works both ways for sure.

• Like 3

Although it was the first competitive game of the season, it wasn't a very convincing win.

The defense worries me, although our Visas look good

Anyone got am Update on Galloway's injury? It didn't look good

Did anyone else notice after Macca's first goal he told Jameison to fuck off, whilst he celebrated with everyone else?

Campbelltown actually played some pretty good football at times, credit to them.

It's a good win and hurdle to get over, we are still in pre-season mode, overall I thought we did well and Noone looks great.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2019 at 1:45 PM, johnno cpfc said:

Interesting article jw, but where do these journalists get the idea we are cash rich so that should make us invincible, we are still under the salary-cap so we are in effect no more cashed up the any other A-League club

We don't use wheelie bins as ice baths - any more. Clear progress under CFG.

• Haha 1

Not a convincing win but a win nonetheless. First competitive match of the season is always a dangerous one so a win against the NPL champions is a good result. They have a few ex-professionals so it was always going to be a tough match.

As to the match itself...a lot to work on but a lot to work with.

Our press looked a bit all over the place but I'm not really surprised given this will be a massive tactical adjustment for them. Metcalfe was holding a nice intensity but some of the others looked pretty lethargic and weren't applying enough pressure even early in the match.

I noticed quite a few long balls early, which might've been a way to unsettle Campbelltown and make them think. Then we went back to possession but had quite a few sloppy moments, which gave them a couple of good chances. To be sure, we did play through them a few times and when the passes were quick and accurate we looked dangerous. We were lucky not to concede again in the last 15 minutes but fatigue probably played a factor.

Individually, Jamieson was clumsy for their penalty, Maclaren with two good finishes after a quiet night and Noone was probably our best with a beautiful shot. Interesting that Good was chosen over Windbichler but all three central defenders are pretty close in terms of ability and style so we might see different pairings throughout the season. 

Also, I did notice Maclaren push Jamieson away after our first goal. Don't know what that was about.