Melbourne Football

Rd. 9, Sat 2 Dec, vs. Newcastle, away

jw1739

IMO time for Joyce to make some bold moves. He's got little to lose - with Adelaide going sixth tonight the chasing pack is catching us.

I would line up:

Bouzanis;
Pierias, Schenkeveld, Jakobsen, Jamieson;
Kilkenny, Mauk;
Brattan;
Arzani, McCormack, Fitzgerald.

Bench: Galekovic, La Rocca, Genreau, Crowley, Muscat.

Let's see what your ideas are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO time for Joyce to make some bold moves. He's got little to lose - with Adelaide going sixth tonight the chasing pack is catching us.

I would line up:

Bouzanis;
Kilkenny, Mauk;
Brattan;

I think you read my mind, though I would swap Arzani and Fitzy, they are quite 2 footed but I would prefer to play Arzani and Fitzy to their preferred foot, they are quite 2 footed, but Arzani is the inexperienced one and I would try to play him in a familiar role.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, neio said:

Galekovic

Muscat Schenkeveld LaRocca Jamieson

Kilkenny Jakobsen

Brattan

Mauk Cahill Fitzgerald

Bouzanis Tongyik Budzinski Kamau Mccormack

Personally I'd rather Muak and Bratten take places, if that was the personal, Bratten would become the Raumdeuter, like he did before on the wing.

Edited by moops

16 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Let's see if we can match their attack. Biggest concern for me is if we have enough goals in us, even with their policy of defence being optional. 

I don't think defence is their main priority, Merrick said that goal scorers win the league and that he had recruited to that end.

The started well, but their structure isn't great, they are like us under JVS, which kind of make them unpredictable.

Edited by moops

Defence  

Galekovic: obviously shocking game against Brisbane. No blunders on Friday but needs to perform super well to keep his spot after the Newcastle game. 

Muscat: Keep him in in order to keep stability with our back four. Pierias right on his heels.

Bort: Obviously our best player so far this season.

Jako: Keeps his spot.

Jamieson: Defensively has shown enough and certainly keeps his spot. Needs to have more end product after successful take ons in our attacking half.

Midfield

Arguably our toughest choices come here. Who can provide enough defensive cover for us. Who can provide enough creativity going forward. As good as our players are I feel we are struggling here to find specific players for these roles.

Kilkenny: Defensivley limited but distribution is great. Needs to play alongside someone defensively minded.

Brattan: Play as our defensive minded player. Arguably the best tackler of our midfield players, besides Malik. 

Mauk: Play as an attacking midfielder. Carrausca is out and Budzinski not showing enough. 

Forward

Arzani: Kamau hasn't shown enough over the last 4 games. He can't play on the left wing either. We have to start to give our youngsters a go which is certainly merit based. He prefers the left wing too which will work well with Fitzy on the right. It simply makes sense. 

Cahill: Tough to swap Ross after scoring from a set piece, but scoring none the less. Can see Timmy being much more effective for us and more likely scoring from open play.

Fitzy: A given considering his performances up to now.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would line up:

Bouzanis;
Kilkenny, Mauk;
Brattan;

1.I’d have Mauk ahead of Brattan formation wise

2. stick with Kamau.

3. stick with Euge in goals.

4. Cahill on the bench thank you very much.

5. Plus Bud, Arzani and Dwayne Johnson (the rock) on the bench

and I would start killer for the rest of the bloody season because he’s close to the best midfielder in the friggin League 

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Defence  

Galekovic: obviously shocking game against Brisbane. No blunders on Friday but needs to perform super well to keep his spot after the Newcastle game. 

Muscat: Keep him in in order to keep stability with our back four. Pierias right on his heels.

Jamieson: Defensively has shown enough and certainly keeps his spot. Needs to have more end product after successful take ons in our attacking half.

Midfield

Arguably our toughest choices come here. Who can provide enough defensive cover for us. Who can provide enough creativity going forward. As good as our players are I feel we are struggling here to find specific players for these roles.

Kilkenny: Defensivley limited but distribution is great. Needs to play alongside someone defensively minded.

Brattan: Play as our defensive minded player. Arguably the best tackler of our midfield players, besides Malik. 

Mauk: Play as an attacking midfielder. Carrausca is out and Budzinski not showing enough. 

Forward

Arzani: Kamau hasn't shown enough over the last 4 games. He can't play on the left wing either. We have to start to give our youngsters a go which is certainly merit based. He prefers the left wing too which will work well with Fitzy on the right. It simply makes sense. 

Cahill: Tough to swap Ross after scoring from a set piece, but scoring none the less. Can see Timmy being much more effective for us and more likely scoring from open play.

I think it's more complicated than face value.

54 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

1.I’d have Mauk ahead of Brattan formation wise

2. stick with Kamau.

3. stick with Euge in goals.

4. Cahill on the bench thank you very much.

5. Plus Bud, Arzani and Dwayne Johnson (the rock) on the bench

and I would start killer for the rest of the bloody season because he’s close to the best midfielder in the friggin League 

Killa when he has come on hasn't been that good.

49 minutes ago, moops said:

I think it's more complicated than face value.

Without doubt. I should add an asterisk with a clause note at the bottom of my post that I don't have the benefit of insider info like performances during training, attitudes etc. 

Edited by n i k o

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Defence  

Midfield

Brattan: Play as our defensive minded player. Arguably the best tackler of our midfield players, besides Malik

Forward

😃

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Without doubt. I should add an asterisk with a clause note at the bottom of my post that I don't have the benefit of insider info like performances during training, attitudes etc. 

Well that's just silly. 

Sorry I reckonise your thought process and agree to an extent, I assumed something, I wanted to challenge you, not offend you.

Edited by moops

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you're generous to Galekovic. He was soft in the lead-up to Western Sydney's goal, awful in Brisbane and didn't do anything out of the ordinary in the one-on-one with Mallia in the Perth match. Looks to me as though he's just coasting along.

You'd rather Bouzanis?

I know people think that I'm overly pessimistic but...

I hope that I'm wrong but with a well structured confident Jets playing at home (and we'd struggle to beat them even when they were poor) I think that this will be a routine 4-0 win for Jets.

Our shot conversion is poor

Our transitions are slow

Our movements are predictable.

Our defence is its usual porous self (6 goals in 2 games).

Things may improve if Carusca is fit, otherwise...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I know people think that I'm overly pessimistic but...

I hope that I'm wrong but with a well structured confident Jets playing at home (and we'd struggle to beat them even when they were poor) I think that this will be a routine 4-0 win for Jets.

Our shot conversion is poor

Our transitions are slow

Our movements are predictable.

Our defence is its usual porous self (6 goals in 2 games).

Things may improve if Carusca is fit, otherwise...

Jets+Merrick+beer budget > City+Wazza+oil money

Hoping to be proved very wrong

• Like 2

Tactically I think we should put our most defensive team on and play all out defence and make them press and tire for 65 mins.

Then sub on our fastest forwards, Arzani, Fitzy and Carusca to break through their defence with speed with Muscat and Jamieson pushing forwards while our defenders still stay deep.

If we can absorb their attack for 65 mins we will force them to readjust which is always a good thing.

Defense:

Muscat. La Rocca. Bort. Jakobsen. Jamieson 

Brattan.        Kilkenny.       Mauk 

Budzinski 

Ross

After 65 mins:

La Rocca.     Bort.       Jakobsen.     

Muscat       Brattan.        Kilkenny.     Jamieson

Carusca.                     

Azarni/Crowley     Fitzy 

Also how fast is Crowley?

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rass said:

I'd say one of the quickest, if not the quickest at the club. 

I've seen Crowley a couple of times. He's certainly fast, and he's got some bulk too, so he can bullock his way though a defence.

Another point to make about our younger players is that they'll be content to remain at CFA to learn their trade, so to speak, but then unless they can see some prospect of actually playing for City they will sign for some other club and be lost to us.

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Braedyn Crowley, 13. Stefan Mauk, 14.Daniel Arzani, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 21.Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 25. Iacopo La Rocca, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 44. Ross McCormack

Ins: 12.Braedyn Crowley (promoted), 14.Daniel Arzani (promoted), 21.Ruon Tongyik (promoted)

Outs: 6.Osama Malik (suspended - 1 week)

Unavailable: 23. Bruno Fornaroli (ankle), 9.Marcelo Carrusca (calf)

On 11/26/2017 at 10:11 AM, jw1739 said:

I would line up:

Bouzanis;
Kilkenny, Mauk;
Brattan;

I Like most of your team. However, if the manager has issues with Kilkenny, it's doubtful if he will play him. Also, Bouzanis has never convinced me.

I would stick with the goalkeeper and bring Arzani in behind McCormack and play Kamau (unless he is suspended or injured)