Melbourne Football

Nick Fitzgerald

jw1739

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Burning issues said:

I heard from someone the other day that Fitzy's cousin or sister won Australia's Next Top Model recently. If this is true surely the club could use this to gain some more publicity with a different audience. Maybe????

That is a burning issue 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Harsh to bench him given his form, but tbh i prefer him as a 60 min sub. He's so effective running against tired defenders and his work rate defensively is exceptional also.

Well I agree and old mate Cahill is done by that time so maybe Valkanis is onto something?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

They awarded Fitzy A-League player of the month for October on Fox tonight. I'm sure I can remember Bruno getting this award at least once before. I'm just wondering if anyone has a list of all Heart/City players that have received this award. 

Can anyone remember some of our players I'm guessing Moy would have picked it up a couple of times as well.

35 minutes ago, Burning issues said:

They awarded Fitzy A-League player of the month for October on Fox tonight. I'm sure I can remember Bruno getting this award at least once before. I'm just wondering if anyone has a list of all Heart/City players that have received this award. 

Can anyone remember some of our players I'm guessing Moy would have picked it up a couple of times as well.

Hang on, what? Fitzgerald won?

Good luck to him, had a good start to season but he hasn't been the best player in the comp

Interestingly our only two goals conceded this season have been similar where the winger or full back of the opposition has snuck in at the opposite post. Both times said player has snuck in behind fitzy without his knowledge but both times it's happened because someone in centre defence hasn't man marked the correct player. I agree Fitzy should have been more aware but it's not his fault entirely. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, neio said:

Hang on, what? Fitzgerald won?

Good luck to him, had a good start to season but he hasn't been the best player in the comp

He's leading the points table for the Alex Tobin medal with 8 points after 4 rounds (now 10 points after 5 rounds)

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I thought he's not been as good the last 2 weeks to be honest. Last night he didn't have much of an impact and lately seems to not be hitting the target like he used to.

He came closest to scoring last night only redmayne's superb save unfortunately prevented us from taking the lead and he also presented Ross with a tap in that on any other night would have given us an equaliser. The goal against us was probably due to him not tracking back on Wilkinson but other that he looked great IMHO. I thought him and Kamou both looked good last night, both with huge work rates.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Burning issues said:

He's leading the points table for the Alex Tobin medal with 8 points after 4 rounds (now 10 points after 5 rounds)

He came closest to scoring last night only redmayne's superb save unfortunately prevented us from taking the lead and he also presented Ross with a tap in that on any other night would have given us an equaliser. The goal against us was probably due to him not tracking back on Wilkinson but other that he looked great IMHO. I thought him and Kamou both looked good last night, both with huge work rates.

Well that's all true. Could have had 2 assists.

His shot missed the target though, last year I think he would have at least forced a save.

Anyway I'm not bagging him, just thinking I have seen him scare the shit out of defenders a lot more than what he did last night 

Fitzy is not the most talented player in our squad, but I rate him as one of the most consistent - possibly the most consistent - in terms of playing up to his capabilities. You know what to expect him to deliver, and he rarely fails to meet expectations. He's very good at getting to the byline and slipping the ball across the 6-yard box all along the ground for the tap in - as he did for McCormack last night. Bruno would have eaten that chance; McCormack just hasn't had the match time with the squad to know what to expect.

Good, solid, reliable player - hope he stays with us into the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Well that's all true. Could have had 2 assists.

His shot missed the target though, last year I think he would have at least forced a save.

Anyway I'm not bagging him, just thinking I have seen him scare the shit out of defenders a lot more than what he did last night 

Is that the one Redmayne saved & we got a corner from? It was hitting the bottom corner, will probably get save on the round.

Im a Fitzy fan boy so am probably biased, I think I just love a good underdog story. Probably one of our most underwhelming signings at the time (& lowest paid) & he’s arguably been our best player the last 18 months. Plus given my limited interaction with him he seems like a genuinely nice kid, far from some of the egos we’ve had in our squad in the past.

I think if Brandan/import had been playing the way he has the last 18 months, they’d be getting heralded as one of the best players in the league, but because it’s a bloke who came from CCM & can’t do a step over, he seems to get overlooked.

Shocked to not see him just behind Bart on top of our POTY points.

• Like 4

On 11/4/2017 at 0:45 PM, moops said:

I reckon he has stepped it up again from last year, he seems to improve each season and this one's no different.

Let's face it he's not the first or the last to make a mistake and i agree that he has stepped it up from last year. I remember when we signed him from CCM i thought he would improve as he showed the same work ethics when he was there, i like the kid.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MXG said:

Too much movies you are watching, mate, stop it. :)  We will see against Wasted Sydney if he's learn  a lesson and will start passing quicker. Or he will be again going like a headless chicken to the end of the pitch hoping to cross.

:droy:

Wrong player.

You need to move this to the Kamau thread

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Can't wait to see how this discussion pans out.

The protagonists would do well to read some of the player ratings.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/city-v-sydney-player-ratings-476874

http://dailyfootballshow.com/player-ratings-melbourne-city-0-sydney-fc-1-wilkshire-goal-ends-citys-perfect-run/

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Which article should we go by? The one where Kamau (who you said was pretty much joint worst on ground) rated higher than almost half of the rest of the team or more than half?

Edited by Embee

On 11/9/2017 at 0:29 PM, Embee said:

Which article should we go by? The one where Kamau (who you said was pretty much joint worst on ground) rated higher than almost half of the rest of the team or more than half?

This is the Fitzgerald thread, isn't it? He's rated the top City player in both articles. Which seems to support those on here who thought he had a good match. That was the point of my post.

https://www.a-league.com.au/video/top-player-focus-nick-fitzgerald

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is the Fitzgerald thread, isn't it? He's rated the top City player in both articles. Which seems to support those on here who thought he had a good match. That was the point of my post.

And the point of my post was that I've seen several in here take a somewhat high horse approach to people criticizing the performance of Fitzgerald (who I agree played very well) yet are quick to continue to scapegoat another player who played well.

I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of some of those statements and felt that the articles that you shared to attempt to disprove one person's opinion and at the same time yours on the performance of another member of the team was quite entertaining

Edited by Embee

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You shouldn't let the truth get in the way of opinions. :)

On 11/8/2017 at 0:53 PM, MXG said:

Too much movies you are watching, mate, stop it. :)  We will see against Wasted Sydney if he's learn  a lesson and will start passing quicker. Or he will be again going like a headless chicken to the end of the pitch hoping to cross.

I imagine this is what it would be like if Yoda smoked crack then posted on forums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...