Melbourne Football

Corey Gamiero

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, SF33 said:

I feel bad about being down on him for his indifferent form so far this season. That statement by him is all class.

I'll be hoping he can come back and make an impact.

His first ACL was about this time last year. If he works hard etc expect to see him on the field, but a bit rusty, this time next year.

like your apology. I shake my head about some of the things people post, it's like they've never had to come back from an injury or never had a poor game.

Young Gameiro now has to deal with a very big mental challenge, I'd just encourage anyone who sees him to say something supportive, he's going to need it to help him through the next year of hard work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Not nice to watch. All the hallmarks of a player who wasn't really ready for competitive football.

This. I wasn't against the signing of Gameiro as I thought the potential reward far outweighed the risk but there's no doubt he came back too soon. Even an extra 3-4 weeks of strengthening work before a return to competition could've done wonders.

A player with his whole career in front of him shouldn't have their recovery fast tracked from an acl.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Edited by Imperial Pints
f#cking double post gremlin

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎58‎:‎58‎, jeffplz said:

we need our Turk back. Anyone know where Dekker went btw?

he is still at the club. Just hasn't been getting picked. Saw him a fortnight ago and told me he hasn't picked up an injury or anything. Just told me he needs to work harder and is doing his best to get picked again.

What's the status of James Brown? As of he is going to be back in forseaable future I think we are ok for wingers as he is better than all the alternatives

If so I'd like to see us sign another creative midfielder with a bit of expirience for especially the games that we don't have Mooy 

15 minutes ago, neio said:

What's the status of James Brown? As of he is going to be back in forseaable future I think we are ok for wingers as he is better than all the alternatives

If so I'd like to see us sign another creative midfielder with a bit of expirience for especially the games that we don't have Mooy 

This is an interesting one the injury was ~6 months ago, surely the club has some sort of idea even if its 'minimum x months'

25 minutes ago, neio said:

He feels good.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2015, 4:15:12, Imperial Pints said:

This. I wasn't against the signing of Gameiro as I thought the potential reward far outweighed the risk but there's no doubt he came back too soon. Even an extra 3-4 weeks of strengthening work before a return to competition could've done wonders.

A player with his whole career in front of him shouldn't have their recovery fast tracked from an acl.

This isn't hindsight, but at a club where there are massive injury concerns, the last thing i would do is sign a player thats still in re-hab.

He was a squadie, and this is the league where most players are mediocre.  Half the battle is won just being on the pitch.

On 11/30/2015, 8:10:55, Kiro Kompiro said:

This isn't hindsight, but at a club where there are massive injury concerns, the last thing i would do is sign a player thats still in re-hab.

He was a squadie, and this is the league where most players are mediocre.  Half the battle is won just being on the pitch.

No way he was squadie.  Firs XI player and future socceroo, plus a good chance of landing a nice transfer fee.

This is one quote form Arnold about him early into his Sydney stint.

"Corey's got unique talent, especially with his pace. Since I've been at the club I have to say I couldn't be happier with the kid," Arnold said on Tuesday night after the win at Ballarat's Morshead Park. "He's young, he's so fast and he's a goalscorer as well. That's about the eighth goal he's got in pre-season, he's doing exceptionally well."

The coach said he would have no qualms in allowing Gameiro to keep his place once Brosque, Smeltz and Janko were all available

This is what they said after it was announced he was leaving Sydney:

Gameiro's exit has come about because it is understood he has agreed terms with a rival club, rumoured to be Melbourne City. Sydney FC tabled the Wollongong-born attacker a new deal, despite suffering a knee injury early in the year, but he rejected it.

So Gamiero was a sought after signing, who was believed to be on the verge of a socceroo call up when he did his ACL last year.  He was no more a squaddie than Novillo or Fornaroli.  Admittedly his few games weren't stellar, but he was clearly improving and was well short of his expected final level.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Corey posted this update today on his Instagram:

cjgameiro Today was my first day back running out on the pitch, after nearly 100 days since the injury, The last 3 months have been really tough, hours and hours in the gym, basically learning to walk again and slowly strengthen my muscles to get them prepared for today, running. It is still early stages with lots more rehab work to be done over the next 6 months but today was such a big and exciting step for me. Another box ticked off ✅ 
The support I have had from day one out of surgery from the coaching staff, medical staff, players, fans and everyone at the club, has been massive and I needed it!!! In saying all that, I know I'm going to be back stronger and better then ever, I can't wait to be back out there playing for Melbourne City! 💙⚽️❤️

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCEkJoMoHZr/

• Like 2