Melbourne Football

MCFC v NEW - Round 2.

mitchellmcleod

CFG bought this club, and had many ambitions, one of which was to ensure that Man City, Melb City and NYC ALL play the same brand of ATTACKING football. Today just shows that something is really wrong. In what world do Man City pass the ball backwards every fucking time they are in an attacking position? In what world do they take 20 fucking years to release ball when players are in glorious positions? We play such a BORING style and today showed that we almost were playing out for the draw (minus the last 5 minutes when Villa saved out arses, AGAIN) That was fucking horrible to watch, so much possesion yet we do nothing with it, and when we do get chances, expect the ball to sail to row Z. Two players today that can hold their heads up high and be proud of what they did today, and that was Duff and Mooy. God fucking help us if this it what we going to be served with, cause i have already gone through 4 years of shit, i dont think i can take another season of it. Victory are going to put 5 against us, with Barbarouses and Ben Kalfallah/Pain dry rooting our wing backs. Once Villa goes, i dont even want to think about how fucked we are cause yet again he was our saviour 2 games in a row, and i get a feeling he will be until he leaves. Things MUST change because today should have been 3 points no worries.

Murdocca Out

Ramsay Out

Williams Out

Hoffman Out

• Like 3

Active support seating was a mess. Me, my mates and plenty of other members were turned away as the entire section was full. The security guards were complaining to us that the club sold twice the tickets without expanding the area nearly enough. Not sure if that's true but regardless we wanted to be standing with the melburnians, not sitting on the wings. I bloody hope it's fixed for the next home game.

Some positives from this game:

the crowd, first time we used the top level. Muscunt would have noticed that.

the MCFC professional approach including the programme although it took a lot of work to find one

Duff - a class above everyone on the field except Villa

Villa's flick on in the first half that Mooy wasn't expecting because he isn't Messi

Villa's goal out of nothing, that's the second week he's saved our bacon. Apart from that his touch was a bit hit and miss but he's such a team player, often let down by his team mates.

We didn't give up and after scoring we actually went for the win instead of playing for the draw.

Negatives

Hoffman and Ramsay offer little especially Ramsay

Murdocca, busy but offers little creativity in midfield, I look forward to Koren playing.

We created too few opportunities and were too inefficient at converting the ones that we had. Not good enough.

We still have a team in evolution but need to be more creative in the front third as many teams will sit back like Jets did and hit us on the counter. I can't see us keeping many clean sheets this year

We concede a very soft goal after totally dominating the first half, typical Heart, in fact we played the second half like Heart after playing the first half like City.

I do feel a little more positive about the season although I'm not sure who will score for us after Villa leaves. Even if Kennedy arrives he'll be injured for half the games.

I did like the 'fuck off Muscat' chant. Melburnians are also evolving, I think that we should use the word 'City' less and use the word 'Melbourne' Last week every time we chanted 'City' it sounded like 'Sydney' and we want to own Melbourne so that's what we should be.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

Active support seating was a mess. Me, my mates and plenty of other members were turned away as the entire section was full. The security guards were complaining to us that the club sold twice the tickets without expanding the area nearly enough. Not sure if that's true but regardless we wanted to be standing with the melburnians, not sitting on the wings. I bloody hope it's fixed for the next home game.

not to mention i had a 5 year old girl standing behind me in the terrace. Look she was standing ill give her that but seriously. need some age restrictions on the terrace. Its not a place for soccer mums and their daughters to enjoy a fine day out. Impacts the effort of the terrace's voice

Very ordinary considering the talent and experience we had on the field. Alot of passengers and only a select few who actually took the game on.

I don't think JvS is the attacking type, his defensive game is very obvious. He didn't move much from his chair until toward the end of the match either.

Overall, pretty poor really and way below expectation for mine.

Very ordinary considering the talent and experience we had on the field. Alot of passengers and only a select few who actually took the game on.

I don't think JvS is the attacking type, his defensive game is very obvious. He didn't move much from his chair until toward the end of the match either.

Must have been riveting viewing!

Almost as exciting as the game itself!

Well that was disappointing.

A bit surprised how negative everybody is though.  We clearly outplayed Newcastle, had all the possession, all the territory and 16 shots to 6.  As to Villa "rescuing us" well yes he scored a well taken goal at the death, but if it had been Willo who missed that volley on the back post earlier, we'd have 3 pages of people saying how "shit" he is.

Villa is a great player, but he's human, he had 6 shots and nailed 1 - that's not rescuing - that's a striker collecting his pay. 

• Like 4

Their goal - where the hell was Ramsay, I understand he isn't natural LB so I expect him to be out of position occasionally. But he was about 50 metres away. Joel Griffiths is a quality player you give him that much time and space he will find an option every time.

Our goal - basically it was a half chance tucked away by a high quality player

The game - if we kick it backwards anymore I was about to scream. A lot of possesiin but too much nothing possession. I think we're trying to score the perfect goal too often, pass pass pass start again instead of getting it in there.

Active - well it was a shambles I thought, I was also near 3 kids who would been 7. 2 of them more keen on eating pretzels. I really think there needs to be word sheets handed out for new chants. You can usually pick up 1-2 New ones but not 7, also no point talking into megaphone no one can understand what is being said. Good to see so many people there but we need to consistently get that number

• Like 1

Almost as exciting as the game itself!

Fair call.

• Like 1

We're negative cos the football hasn't changed. All the possession is actually getting boring, it's as if JVS refuses to play direct. It was really telling that all our old Heart players were just crap: Dugandzic, Williams, Ramsay, et al.

The positive is that we have competition for places in the Capo department. 

Lucky escape in the end, Villa strikes again. In saying that though it would be nice to get some others on the scoresheet.

Duff is sublime.

First half was dissapointing, we play around with the ball too much and put it out onto the edges when we don't need to. In the first half there was a break through middle, instead of going forward we sent it out to the left which of course allows the defence to set. Just keep going forward, was frustrating and could be felt around me as well.

Will have to do a lot better next week in the derby. Passed a few Victory supporters at the airport, must have for back from Adelaide.

Starting to get more of a feel for the type of ball we play. This is my first season as a member.

Ramsey was poor. Out of position too often, but I've read LB isn't his natural position. I give the tiniest leeway for that.
Murdocca looked like an energiser bunny running all over the place but agree he doesn't provide too much.
Duff = Awesome.
Mooy played well.

Seemed like a game we should have easily taken stats-wise, but the playing back was a bit agonising.
In short, I pretty much agree with all the above posts lol

• Like 1

Im surprised with all the negativity. I was also disappointed not to come away with the win, and was pretty shattered when we conceded. But i think, its the second game of the season. Our first home game. There was much more positive than negative. I think a few people are a bit biased against players that they have it out for. 

Villa, Duff, & Mooy were awesome. I'm excited to see what Koren will add to our attack.
Im not sure about the hate on Redmayne Its certainly not warranted from the two games he's played this season.

We know what to expect from Murdocca, He's everywhere and is awesome with the ball until he gets to the box, where he's then often wasteful.

In defence, i think Hoffman is great and contributes going forward. I think everyone still hates on him because of how horrible he's been in previous seasons but he's a good right back. 

Ramsey is playing better than i expected him too, I'm re-watching the game now so ill judge what happened with the goal when i get to it. 

Williams was alright. Defence was good in the first half then a bit shaky in the second. 

I was standing right in the middle of the Melburnians so i had no issues with young kids, I thought the Capo did a fine job. Chants were initially fast and a bit average in the first half but that was our first half at home as Melburnians.. trying new things, finding the rhythm and the second half was rocking. Loved it. 

Still feeling very positive about the season ahead. Bring on the derby next week.

• Like 2

Well it felt good to be back at a Heart game again at least!

Redmayne - Thought he actually had a pretty good game today, made some really good saves, but probably could have done more with the goal.

Hoffman - Same old Hoffman really. Too much backward passing and got beaten a few times. Didn't think he was too horrible though.

Weilaert and Kisnorbo - too much fucking around at the back and really poor long balls.

Ramsay - Not his worst game for us, but still not a fullback.

Paartalu - Had another really good game, shelters the defence so well, needs to be used in attacking moves more as he is a good passer.

Murdocca - A lot of hate on Murdocca on here so far, and while I don't think he deserved man of the match, I thought he played fairly well. Decent option to have as a backup to Koren.

Mooy - Absolute boss. Man of the match easily. His passing and tackling is just amazing.

Duff - Pure class. Man of the match but for Mooy. Insane workrate, crazy passing, pace for days and ripped into Ramsay for not shutting down his man at one point. What more could you want?

Williams - Didn't think he was too bad today. Definitely preffered him starting to Mate. Looked lively and exciting, just lacking a bit of match fitness.

Villa - Must be embarrassed by his teammates at times. Created his goal from nothing. Missed a couple of chances but it's David Villa so it's forgiven. His biggest impact today wasn't on the pitch but in the stands. 15k is the Villa effect.

Brown - Still quite confused by this signing. Didn't do much when he came on except for shoiting straight at the keeper.

Dugandzic - Not even close to the player he once was. Everytime the ball is at his feet it's a turnover. Not good enough.

Retre - Wasn't on for long enough to make a huge difference, but good to see him get game time.

Off the pitch - Crowd was massive, lets hope they stay when Villa leaves. For their first A League game I thought Melburnians did a great job, got caught up in chanting about Victory for too long after they showed Muscat on the screen though imo. New kits looked mint, first I heard about the matchday programme was on twitter when I got home.

JVS isn't the man to take this club forward. Today was a huge letdown, but fuck it was good to be back at AAMI Park!

• Like 2

Most disappointed we did not bury Newcastle, but rest assured that after today's performance half of who came today will not be back at next home game. Which means the same crowd numbers going forward, happy days. Same performances = same Heart = same crowd numbers

Edited by MHTIDALIVE

What really disappointed me was the old Heart board being presented with life memberships. I don't want to sound too ungrateful as they did take money out of their own pockets to start the franchise however given their history of gross under-investment in the franchise, it gives the wrong message telling them that they don't have to pay for their season tickets. If it were up to me I'd be charging them double.

"For founding the club that would go on to become Melbourne City" hate that line.

• Like 2

Three things for me. 

1. I think the key issue with out midfeild is that Mooy and Murdocca are too similar. imo they are both great in link up play and passing to players but cant do that creative killer pass into space. I am hoping that Koren can be that different player ala Engelaar. 

2. I think the players are a little weary of passing to Villa all the time and so they didnt really look for him as much as they should have. There was a couple of times that Murdocca had a clear ball through to Villa but instead passed out wide to Duff or Willo.

3. I have no idea how Mooy didnt get the winner with those two shots. He even did the right thing with his second shot and shoot at the ground so there was a high bounce which are very difficult to control/block