Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

I have seen plans for further development on the Latrobe Uni campus that involve the construction of a stadium of some description. IIRC the plan shows the stadium adjacent to Plenty Road between Preston Cemetery and Darebin Creek. It's a proposal by the university rather than City. I didn't keep any details or the paperwork but perhaps someone could hunt those down?

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This is why he is dumb. Really really dumb. Fo real. His proposal is based on ego not what is needed/best

After what Eddie did to Athletics Australia I would not trust anything he says. It sounds like a dumb idea so what is the angle? What is in it for him/Collingwood/AFL? Did he say that to distract from some other issue? You just never know with Eddie.

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

After what Eddie did to Athletics Australia I would not trust anything he says. It sounds like a dumb idea so what is the angle? What is in it for him/Collingwood/AFL? Did he say that to distract from some other issue? You just never know with Eddie.

I dont trust anything he says. He is sly but ultimately dumb because as mentioned everything he does is to benifit him/collingwood/afl. And when the core of every decision you make is to protect something that is so insular you cant make a smart decision.

*edit- but this is getting way off topic

Edited by KSK_47

11 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Eddie is a morning radio show host and has nothing to do with proposals or future strategy for the AFL, I have no idea why it was taken so seriously.

Because its Melbourne and for some reason whenever he says something everyone in this town listens to him.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

This was my point @KSK_47 although I totally agree  about the ego. Dumb or calculating are very different.

Anyway, moving on. 

2 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Well here's a smack in the mouth for Eddie lol why don't we buy the old Collingwood ground from Collingwood council it is next to a railway station and is now under used, could be redeveloped for a rectangular stadium including plenty of parking etc.

I heard a rumour this was looked into pre-Bundoora construction. I'm sure though that our friend Edward would pull in every favour he could to make sure such a thing never happened.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I heard a rumour this was looked into pre-Bundoora construction. I'm sure though that our friend Edward would pull in every favour he could to make sure such a thing never happened.

Its alright, money has more friends than Eddie.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/collingwood-secretly-lobbied-for-park-20090811-egz0.html

The shafting of Athletics Victoria was done with the full participation of the then premier John Brumby, a Collingwood supporter. It gets murkier because the article says:

"Some in the athletics community have questioned the role played by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who is on the board of Athletics Australia, the governing body of Olympic Park tenant Athletics Victoria.

Athletics Australia president Rob Fildes, a former Collingwood player, has defended Mr McGuire against any conflict-of-interest allegations, saying the Magpie chief was a strong advocate for athletics."

Eddie is a media slut, he needs attention to feed his ego and his media profile. Saying something daft wouldn't bother him. He knows people will talk about it and in turn he gets attention. Jeff Kennett said is was a ridiculous idea:

"If knocking down Hisense stadium is part of it, and that then doesn't allow property for tennis, then I would have to say that I am not prepared to put at risk the Australian Open in Melbourne for a new stadium fundamentally for football in all its various forms."

• 6 months later...
On 26/09/2016 at 0:49 AM, Falastur said:

It's owned by the state government, and in my experience governments hate to sell off land if they think they will make more money off renting it.

Nah, they make a loss renting it, just how things work in Australia.

Only stadium built with minimal government subsidisation (at least I think it was minimal) in recent times AFAIK is Etihad and that's probably the most utilised stadium in the country, including being home ground to 5 AFL teams, an A-League team, a cricket team and various miscellaneous events.

Hence why it's a fantasy to expect A-League clubs to be building their own stadiums that will be used once a fortnight for half the year.

3 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Hence why it's a fantasy to expect A-League clubs to be building their own stadiums that will be used once a fortnight for half the year.

Yes, that's true, but that's if you build a stadium that can only be used once a fortnight for half the year. I think it was (now Sir) Elton John, when he became Chairman of Watford in 1976, who first pointed out that you need to have facilities inside or attached to a stadium, other than just a football pitch, that will be used and can generate income seven days a week. And I don't mean sharing the pitch with another code or with rock concerts and monster trucks. If you build a stadium in the right place with passing trade there are a whole lot of opportunities for such as shops, cinema, theatre, restaurants and cafes, gymnasium, pool and so on. If you don't, or can't do that, then you have to go down the line of the kit-type stadium that some clubs have gone for in the UK, or the much simpler designs of some of the MLS stadiums.

IIRC AAMI Park cost something like A$257m to build. It's a very nice stadium indeed, but that's a ludicrous amount of money to spend for the usage it gets.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC AAMI Park cost something like A$257m to build. It's a very nice stadium indeed, but that's a ludicrous amount of money to spend for the usage it gets.

To be fair AAMI has 4 tennants that use it basically every week of the year for matches not to mention the Tards, Storm and now Rebels are all based there. In recent times there have been more and more concerts there (I went and saw the Boss there it was great) and it is also part of the wider "sports precinct" which is just as much about prestige for the city of Melbourne as it is usage.

TL;dr I think you're selling AAMI a little short

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Let's be real for a second, CCM is a property development business disguised as a soccer club.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

To be fair AAMI has 4 tennants that use it basically every week of the year for matches not to mention the Tards, Storm and now Rebels are all based there. In recent times there have been more and more concerts there (I went and saw the Boss there it was great) and it is also part of the wider "sports precinct" which is just as much about prestige for the city of Melbourne as it is usage.

TL;dr I think you're selling AAMI a little short

It also has a full time cafe, a sports medicine centre (a business) club shop for victory/storm. A gym and training facilities used by Victory/storm/demons and is home to Victory's admin base 

29 minutes ago, True Until I die said:

It also has a full time cafe, a sports medicine centre (a business) club shop for victory/storm. A gym and training facilities used by Victory/storm/demons and is home to Victory's admin base

And a sasauge stand

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

Nah, they make a loss renting it, just how things work in Australia.

Only stadium built with minimal government subsidisation (at least I think it was minimal) in recent times AFAIK is Etihad and that's probably the most utilised stadium in the country, including being home ground to 5 AFL teams, an A-League team, a cricket team and various miscellaneous events.

It surprises me that in a country with such a reputation for sport as Australia, stadia don't seem to be profitable endeavours even at the higher levels. 

19 minutes ago, Chris p said:

We dont pay $100+ to see a regular season event though 

Still, though. There are plenty of football or rugby teams are in England with attendances in the 10,000s who only charge 20 quid a ticket but own their own stadia, and will build them for an 8 figure sum with no subsidies. I'm surprised that it's not the same in the AFL or rugby at least for you guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

It surprises me that in a country with such a reputation for sport as Australia, stadia don't seem to be profitable endeavours even at the higher levels. 

This is true. But we also have a reputation for having systems in place that allow outsiders to regularly dip their hand in the kitty

1 hour ago, Falastur said:

I suspect that governments keep building half decent stadiums in fairly good locations and then rent them out at presumably reasonable cost for the users probs makes it not worth trying to build your own.....and given you'd have to spend several million to get a site before you apply for permission to build (with no way of knowing if you'll get permission to build).......

29 minutes ago, M13 said:

Might not really concern MelCity but they say that NYCFC might buy 16 acres outside New York proper to build their training facility...

Couldn't help but feel disappointed when I heard about that plan. I know it's slightly larger than Melbourne City's current facilities (I have hopes they'll expand in time) but the plan for that NYCFC training facility from what I heard has it only have two pitches along with a gym/admin block. Hardly earth-shattering stuff, especially for a club that is building a full youth programme already extending to four age groups and in time potentially 8-10, and which will probably be launching one and perhaps even two B-teams in the US lower divisions in the coming years. The place they have earmarked isn't even in the city, so there isn't even the excuse of land being in short supply.

Edited by Falastur

6 hours ago, Falastur said:

Couldn't help but feel disappointed when I heard about that plan. I know it's slightly larger than Melbourne City's current facilities (I have hopes they'll expand in time) but the plan for that NYCFC training facility from what I heard has it only have two pitches along with a gym/admin block. Hardly earth-shattering stuff, especially for a club that is building a full youth programme already extending to four age groups and in time potentially 8-10, and which will probably be launching one and perhaps even two B-teams in the US lower divisions in the coming years. The place they have earmarked isn't even in the city, so there isn't even the excuse of land being in short supply.

I understand the intrest in what CFG are doing with other teams under the umbrella, but if im honest i dont care anymore ( I used to ) about NYC or any other team they want to bring in. Its all about Melbourne and not keeping up with the Jones's. For what its worth the US would be huge market for development and can understand if they spend up big. 

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation from Bolton that the CFA is currently being renovated to add a wing for our w-league side. Hopefully it will be done on time for the start of the wleague season.

He mentions it about halfway through this discussion about the Roar offering their wleague players one salary earlier in preseason and now offering them less. Bit of a shambles. https://soundcloud.com/sbstheworldgame/w-league-brisbane-roar-pay-cut-clint-bolton-the-situation-is-ridiculous

Edited by Kinnibari

On 2016-10-19 at 3:19 AM, Kinnibari said:

Confirmation from Bolton that the CFA is currently being renovated to add a wing for our w-league side. Hopefully it will be done on time for the start of the wleague season.

He mentions it about halfway through this discussion about the Roar offering their wleague players one salary earlier in preseason and now offering them less. Bit of a shambles. https://soundcloud.com/sbstheworldgame/w-league-brisbane-roar-pay-cut-clint-bolton-the-situation-is-ridiculous

I assume that no other Australian club have a "womens wing" in their campus..Or do they?