Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

I don't think there's any 'news' in that article. He's out of contract at the end of the season. Roar might make him an offer. We might also make him an offer, especially if he continues his current form and wins the golden boot. Others can make an offer too. Personally, I hate seeing any of our players at other A League clubs. Unless they've been shit. Which Willo hasn't. Not that he's been great either. But judging players' performance under JA is a bit tricky.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Well, just putting this back where it belongs:

Can't wait to see him in Orange again next season... Beautiful

david-williams.jpg.

http://www.foxsports...l-1226833580847

Given that there's a moratorium on Heart signings I'm assuming that also includes re-signings, so it doesn't surprise me that Williams has not been offered a contract for next season. Anyway, apart from that, IMO he's on far too much (rumoured $375,000) for what he has delivered over the three years he's been with us. His main asset is his speed, which at his age is not going to last much longer, and he's really not much different from a couple of others we have on our books who are speedsters.

Given that we're almost certainly looking at a different style of play in the future, it's inevitable that some of the current squad are going to leave.

Personally won't be too fussed if he moves on.

How can you say that there is a moratorium on re-signings when recently Hoffman and Velaphi were given new contracts? Furthermore there is the rumoured contract with Mooy who would be a new signing - AFAIK no one has denied the existence of this contract.

Personally I would rather the club have signed Williams ahead of Hoffman but I presume that next season will show the folly of re-signing Hoffman.

I have seen it stated that the Mooy deal was consummated before the change in ownership.

The Hoffman and Velaphi re-signings have not been confirmed, and even if they have been done it's not clear just when that occurred.

It's my clear understanding that there is currently a moratorium in place.

We are finally starting to see the ability this man has.  Now is the time to hang on to him. 

As you've seen though, despite only being there 5 min, is a favourite son in Brisbane.  I expect they will be very interested and Mulvey seems to have even admitted as much.  Mind you long way to go in season.  He keeps scoring every week he won't be playing in the A League next year.

Craig Moore says David Williams can make impact for the Socceroos if he gets the call

Craig Moore

February 23, 2014

DAVID Williams has starred for Melbourne Heart for the past three weeks.

Now it’s a matter of him maintaining his form for the rest of the season, not only for his club’s sake, but also for his own hopes of making Australia’s FIFA World Cup squad.

The importance of being consistent is too often overlooked by players.

Being effective, not necessarily a standout, every week is crucial for your team and your own individual targets.

Williams knows this. He has been through plenty of ups and downs in a career that seemed destined for international success when he joined Danish giants Brondby as an 18-year-old. But not all went to plan for the Queenslander. Maybe he had too many people telling him how good he was, and as a youngster, he was probably homesick.

Sometimes players need to be told the truth rather than be consistently complimented.

A dose of honest reality can often be the making of a young player, particularly when all they have previously heard is about how great they are.

At 25, Williams is still young enough to make a major impact at club and international level. And let’s hope he can.

There has never been any doubting his talent, and we have seen more than a glimpse of it via his five goals in his past three matches.

He’s an excitement machine, and it’s now his challenge to retain his form over a longer period of time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/craig-moore-says-david-williams-can-make-impact-for-the-socceroos-if-he-gets-the-call/story-fni2wcjl-1226834822139

Edited by Murfy1

Craig Moore says David Williams can make impact for the Socceroos if he gets the call

Craig Moore

February 23, 2014

Now it’s a matter of him maintaining his form for the rest of the season, not only for his club’s sake, but also for his own hopes of making Australia’s FIFA World Cup squad.

Being effective, not necessarily a standout, every week is crucial for your team and your own individual targets.

Williams knows this. He has been through plenty of ups and downs in a career that seemed destined for international success when he joined Danish giants Brondby as an 18-year-old. But not all went to plan for the Queenslander. Maybe he had too many people telling him how good he was, and as a youngster, he was probably homesick.

Sometimes players need to be told the truth rather than be consistently complimented.

A dose of honest reality can often be the making of a young player, particularly when all they have previously heard is about how great they are.

At 25, Williams is still young enough to make a major impact at club and international level. And let’s hope he can.

There has never been any doubting his talent, and we have seen more than a glimpse of it via his five goals in his past three matches.

He’s an excitement machine, and it’s now his challenge to retain his form over a longer period of time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/craig-moore-says-david-williams-can-make-impact-for-the-socceroos-if-he-gets-the-call/story-fni2wcjl-1226834822139

He won't get anywhere near the NT until he makes the inevitable move to Brisbane and then plays to his potential

Craig Moore

February 23, 2014

He won't get anywhere near the NT until he makes the inevitable move to Brisbane and then plays to his potential

lol, good luck with that :up:

As amazing as willo has been for the prior three games I have to point out that this is the stuff he has to clean up if he has any chance of making the World Cup short list. That potential berisha equalizer yesterday began because of an extremely poor and heavy touch from willo that pushed the ball back towards our goal and into the waiting feet of the roar. I love what he's done over the last month and think he deserves every credit possible for it but for improvement sake his touch on the he ball needs to be better, and I beleive that that's what jvs meant by willo "bringing more." Unfortunately at his age improvement may be marginal at best. I reckon we're seeing the best we will of the guy. I hope more than anything I'm wrong.

• Like 5

As amazing as willo has been for the prior three games I have to point out that this is the stuff he has to clean up if he has any chance of making the World Cup short list. That potential berisha equalizer yesterday began because of an extremely poor and heavy touch from willo that pushed the ball back towards our goal and into the waiting feet of the roar. I love what he's done over the last month and think he deserves every credit possible for it but for improvement sake his touch on the he ball needs to be better, and I beleive that that's what jvs meant by willo "bringing more." Unfortunately at his age improvement may be marginal at best. I reckon we're seeing the best we will of the guy. I hope more than anything I'm wrong.

Spot on. That was right in front of me. It was more like a 10m pass than a first touch.

Spot on. That was right in front of me. It was more like a 10m pass than a first touch.

LOL i logged in to post this exact thing.  He could have cost us the game.  I would not be surprised if JVS saw it too and we find Williams sitting on the bench with Kewell in his place.  Not good enough Willo.

Pretty sure your on the money there Natalie

She's absolutely right. He tried a silly little flick pass that was intercepted by a Victory player who put Thompson away for the winner in the last minute. All Williams had to do was blast the ball towards the Victory goal - he might have even scored - and we would have eaten up the remaining seconds and come away with a point.

• Like 1

I'm not a Williams fan but I think it's unfair to judge his tally over the whole season. Let's judge it from when JVS took over to the end of the season. And all strikers miss sitters. 

Can't believe I'm defending him but all I'm asking for is a bit of logic. 10 goals when half the season you're played out of position and JA was coaching is actually pretty damn good. And there's still however many games left. 

Damnit I hate defending him because his drives me nuts. 

Nah, sorry I'm done with Williams.  Nearly sold a team mate for another Berisha/ Archie moment.  Missed open goal opportunities- the guy should really be close to 20 goals this season.

Sorry Willo, when you're hot, your'e hot but we see that 1 every 10 games, not good enough.

Right on the money. Been better under JVS the best thing he could do is sign for big money else where imho. Can do much better in his position.

His touches and holding up play are well below standard. If we're going to have someone constantly offering  to hold the ball up and feed it onto our wingers, we need a bigger body and someone who is technically better than Williams as his touches are shocking 8 out of 10 times.

I think people are being overly harsh on Williams and possibly also Ramsay. They aren't the most technically gifted players, that's for sure, but off the ball, along with Dugandzic, they play a very important role, drawing defenders away, and creating space for Engelaar and later Kewell to dictate the game. Their pressure when we don't have the ball is very good as well. Just out of interest, I compared Williams and Troisi, and while their attacking stats are actually very similar, Williams' defensive stats (tackles, interceptions etc) far outshine Troisi's. Defence starts from the top, and I think one of the most important parts of the team's resurgence has been the defensive pressure that for the most part simply wasn't there.

Ideally Williams would be better off as an impact sub, but for now, he should keep his spot in the team.

• Like 3

I think people are being overly harsh on Williams and possibly also Ramsay. They aren't the most technically gifted players, that's for sure, but off the ball, along with Dugandzic, they play a very important role, drawing defenders away, and creating space for Engelaar and later Kewell to dictate the game. Their pressure when we don't have the ball is very good as well. Just out of interest, I compared Williams and Troisi, and while their attacking stats are actually very similar, Williams' defensive stats (tackles, interceptions etc) far outshine Troisi's. Defence starts from the top, and I think one of the most important parts of the team's resurgence has been the defensive pressure that for the most part simply wasn't there.

Ideally Williams would be better off as an impact sub, but for now, he should keep his spot in the team.

As I've said in the Engelaar thread it's not going to be possible to improve the squad to chase silverware and keep all the present players. IMO we need more central striking options than just Williams, and he's just one of a number of players who will pose a dilemma for the club come season's end.

It looked as though it was going to be a lot easier when we were anchored on four points...

We've already got room to bring in 2 or 3 forwards to replace Macallister, Gol Gol and Mifsud who won't be around next year. I think Williams has been pretty good this year and can at least be a damaging impact player off the bench for us, and at his age still has room to grow as a footballer. But if we offer him a contract, it probably needs to contain a pay cut. I reckon how that compares with other contract offers and playing opportunities elsewhere might determine where he plays next year.

But for now, let's enjoy the goals and hopefully our first golden boot winner.

Edited by Sash

We've already got room to bring in 2 or 3 forwards to replace Macallister, Gol Gol and Mifsud who won't be around next year. I think Williams has been pretty good this year and can at least be a damaging impact player off the bench for us, and at his age still has room to grow as a footballer. But if we offer him a contract, it probably needs to contain a pay cut. I reckon how that compares with other contract offers and playing opportunities elsewhere might determine where he plays next year.

You don't honestly believe that, do you?

The blokes 26 and has the heaviest touch i have ever seen, how much more growth can there be for him? Sure, he'll have a good game every now and than but if we want to be a juggernaut we should be aiming for excellence in every position instead of going for players who are just 'serviceble'

Anyone who thinks a double digit A-League striker in his mid-twenties is going to take a pay-cut needs thier head checked.

He might have to unless someone thinks he's worthy of an Australian marquee spot, or is prepared to devote a decent amount of cap space. Somebody else might but I doubt we will.

Edited by Sash

You don't honestly believe that, do you?

The blokes 26 and has the heaviest touch i have ever seen, how much more growth can there be for him? Sure, he'll have a good game every now and than but if we want to be a juggernaut we should be aiming for excellence in every position instead of going for players who are just 'serviceble'

His touch will not get an better. He seems he was coached to his his speed as a kid.