Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

According to Wikipedia his record at NQF (8 goals from 49 matches) was actually slightly worse than his record at Heart (10 from 52).

IMO what you are currently seeing from DW is as far as he is able to go in terms of development as a footballer. His main attribute is speed, and he's only going to get slower from here on in.

We already rely far too much on speedsters in the squad - others being Dugandzic, Ramsay and Mifsud. I long for the day I see a couple of Heart players able to beat a man with a swivel of the hips or a step-over or some other piece of footwork trickery.

... or clever passing into the final third that meets a good run

• Like 1

We already rely far too much on speedsters in the squad - others being Dugandzic, Ramsay and Mifsud. I long for the day I see a couple of Heart players able to beat a man with a swivel of the hips or a step-over or some other piece of footwork trickery.

Sign Pirlo pls

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the rumour is that he doesn't want to stay for next season?

Interesting. Signed on a three year contract, and has played one season under JvS, one-and-a half under JA, and now back under JvS. Should be at the peak of his career (he turns 26 in February) and yet he's not really cemented an automatic starting place in the team. Nor have we heard any rumours of another club wanting to pick him up.

Overall I don't think we should be begging him to stay. Opinions?

Thank Fuck, cut him loose now so we gain another spot on the roster. He's been shit since the moment he came here. No consistancy, cant hit a 2 metre pass to save him self, cant cross, cant shoot, cant do anything really. Useless for us since day 1, the sooner we fuck him off, the better. Id honestly be surprised if another A-League club picks him up.

Thank Fuck, cut him loose now so we gain another spot on the roster. He's been shit since the moment he came here. No consistancy, cant hit a 2 metre pass to save him self, cant cross, cant shoot, cant do anything really. Useless for us since day 1, the sooner we fuck him off, the better. Id honestly be surprised if another A-League club picks him up.

Stop mincing your words ... tell us what you really think of him

Stop mincing your words ... tell us what you really think of him In short; he is fucking shite!

Personally I would keep if we could get the price right. One of only two who seemed to get anything out of the disaster that was the Aloisi Era, which is to his credit.

I think he gets a lot of hate on here because his first season was so poor, but last year was much better and this year better again. I have thought for a long time that (with Kewell playing another role, or unavailable) he was easily the best striking option we have on the books this year.

Not surprised other clubs want him.

Personally I would keep if we could get the price right. One of only two who seemed to get anything out of the disaster that was the Aloisi Era, which is to his credit.I think he gets a lot of hate on here because his first season was so poor, but last year was much better and this year better again. I have thought for a long time that (with Kewell playing another role, or unavailable) he was easily the best striking option we have on the books this year.Not surprised other clubs want him.

He gets hate cause he's fucking useless 90% of the time.

• Like 1

I would keep Willo & yes other clubs would want him, at the last derby the Visitors sang the praises of Willo = only

He had his best spell under JA - not many did though

Why would you keep him? What do you think he offers to the team because i am lost for words as to why people would still keep him... Not having a go just want to hear someone elses perspective because im honestly baffled..

Personally I would keep if we could get the price right. One of only two who seemed to get anything out of the disaster that was the Aloisi Era, which is to his credit.I think he gets a lot of hate on here because his first season was so poor, but last year was much better and this year better again. I have thought for a long time that (with Kewell playing another role, or unavailable) he was easily the best striking option we have on the books this year.Not surprised other clubs want him.

He gets hate cause he's fucking useless 90% of the time.

Whoops I thought this was the golgol thread lol.

But regarding williams I think we could find someone more serviceable than him.

I would keep Willo & yes other clubs would want him, at the last derby the Visitors sang the praises of Willo = only

He had his best spell under JA - not many did though

Why would you keep him? What do you think he offers to the team because i am lost for words as to why people would still keep him... Not having a go just want to hear someone elses perspective because im honestly baffled..

Williams has improved since his arrival at Heart. His first season (and JVS second season) he found it difficult to break into the team but he could take the ball from defence to the box easily but his problem was that he could be pushed off the ball too easily and undo the good work. Also for a team sport he wasn't the best team player but I suspect that was because at NQF he was their only quality player and was able to do what he liked.

FF to today, he still can go on the blistering runs and no longergets pushed off the ball. He now brings players into the game and during JA's disastrous tenure he was the only player worth watching for the Heart. When he was moved to middle in place of Kewell he stepped right up: against CCM he was the best Heart player on the field and Heart led 2-0. Sadly a couple of penalties in defence allowed CCM to get away with a draw. His corner kicks are no worse than anyone else at Heart and he takes the penalties and scores - unlike the players at CCM. 

Has he missed opportunities? Yes. Has he screwed up? Yes. But so has Kewell, Mate, Ramsay, Mifsud, Gol Gol, and the rest of the team. The only player not to have gone backwards during JA's tenure was Williams. The question is can he regain confidence and be an integral part of the team? I think so. That will be part of that JVS's and Kewell's task as well as his own.

Does he want out? It appears so but then being coached by JA will look like an ugly stain on anyone's CV. So the best way for him to improve his career options is to get back from injury ASAP and integrate into the team.

Can we find a more serviceable option? Perhaps but proven players come at a price and young players leave for Europe. Also after the MIfsud signing can Didulica be trusted?

• Like 1

How many folks know we have an Australian marquee?  And our Australian marquee is David Williams! If correct, I was absolutely staggered when I read that in one of the papers today. One thing I reckon is for sure - there's no way David Williams will be our Australian marquee next season. I hope new Management spend big, including a transfer fee if necessary, and sign up a Socceroo regular who is at the peak of his powers or on the up. 

Spoke to him at a club after the Wellington game. Before the sacking of Aloisi. He said if this bullshit continues when his contract runs out in April he won't be look to stay. I don't know of things have changed since Aloisi is gone.

Just read this. WTF? What bullshit was he talking about, his own diabolical miss in front of an open goal???

heard the other week he's in fact on $350k a year and the club weren't happy with him. Tbh I hope these new owners don't even offer him a new contract

I like him but not at that price.

Was bemused when the paper labelled him a Marquee.  presumed it was just not another journo stuff up.  You know- deadline's approaching can you spin out some bullshit story to fill this gap, don't bother to check anything etc etc.

The journalist that called David Williams our Australian marquee is David Davutovic. He's Melbourne based, and he knows his stuff about Melbourne Heart (he's probably the most knowledgeable journalist about Heart IMO).

The other article written yesterday that said Engelaar and Kewell are our marquees is mistaken. Kewell is not our Australian marquee, he's on very low wages.

I'm afraid it's very possible that David Williams is our Australian marquee, and he could well be on 350k. This all just shows how badly Heart's previous owners and management (Munn, Didulica etc.) have managed our squads.

I reckon the club primarily gave Williams the Australian marquee deal because he's on pretty high wages, and they didn't want his wages to count towards the salary cap.

Hopefully next season Williams is gone, and we get a real Australian marquee (which is tough, because there are very few), like Mark Bresciano or Josh Kennedy or Scott McDonald (all are Victorians, BTW).

• Like 1

Well, if that is the case Murf, then I'm astounded. For there to be a marquee, the rest of the squad has to be paid, collectively, close to the cap. We know Engelaar is paid outside the cap. With the deadwood we have in our squad to be paying the other 21 collectively close to the cap is mind-boggling, because we know the youngsters such Walker, Mauk, Garuccio, Mitchinson, etc can't be on much more than the minimum. Also Germano isn't on much. Makes the parlous results we have achieved on the field even more disgraceful.

What a shambles. Thank God it will soon be over.