Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

NYL player under JVS last time around. It will be interesting how he responds assuming  the Dutchman returns.

Only ever had one season where he's shown he can be anything more than a NYL quality player and that was at NQF but with players like Mehbratu & Ramsey fighting for his spot, Williams is likely to start who ever the coach is.

Although thy play different roles I would rather have Williams ahead of Kalmar or Hoffman. When he was playing in the midfield in place of Kewell he did OK certainly no worse than Kewell and he hasn't shanked a penalty this season. For me the team needs a good quality coach that can fit the pieces together. I will concede that he looked very good at NQF because everyone else was so poor so yes he did shine. And under JVS he did not flourish mainly because JVS's football is so rigid. However like the rest of the side, his performance has declined over the season.

I'm a fan. 

His shooting can be woeful but he is also one of the few players we have that is prepared to have a shot, and is dangerous with those shots from a range of places. He has pace, he does work really hard both ways in matches, his crossing is really good and while certainly not a strength (and nowhere good enough to play as a #10) his passing is adequate.

While Aloisi has shown a lot of faith in him, I also think he has screwed him over a bit. Williams has never had more than 2 games in a row in his preferred position of striker at the club, this despite being our only striker that can break offside traps (Mifsud starts offside and Mebrahtu never uses his pace to advantage) and can actually win and follow up headers. 

I don't see what we have to lose by playing him up front, other than match day balls fired into the crowd. 

• Like 1

Like many players over the last two seasons, Williams has tended to be played out of his natural position. I don't think his touch is good enough to play in the #10 role, but as an out and out striker he's not too bad. 

Agreed.

Also, hes not smart enough to play as a #10 or out wide, and does not pressure enough to be playing on the wings.

In a squad limited to 23 you can't afford to have so-so players who are only any good in one position and then only when they feel like it.

DW summed himself up IMO - "if we won, we won; if we lost, we lost."

You don't earn yourself another contract by switching yourself on for the last couple of months of the previous one. 

We can do a lot better elsewhere.

Been saying this since the day we signed him, fucking useless player, just runs like a head-less chook and does fuck all. Cant hit a metre pass to save himself. Him and Mifsud, OUT.

Fully agree. The commentators love him, saying he has such potential, but its a bit past that now. He has far too many weaknesses in his game.

As for playing him centrally, he looks lost. He just does not add what we need, and that is a calm and patient footballing brain.

These are the players that after season two should have been assessed at to wether they were good enough to move forward with. Which they never were. The clubs ambitions are definitely to blame for the reasons as to why these players were held onto. Such small ambitions going into season three meant we didn't see the need to find better more capable replacements.

No matter what issue, both big or small, always comes back to the people in charge of the club.

FFS can we try him as a striker for once? 

He's played once as a striker this season in round 2, scored twice. He starts onside, has pace and shoots with power. 

Yes his shooting is hit and miss, but atleast his have conviction, and Mifsuds shots lack both power and the "hit" component, in that they are never on target anyway. FFS the only goal he has scored has been from the penalty spot with nobody between him and the goals. 

At least give him a go in his natural position for more than one game in a row because all other options are exhausted. 

• Like 2

FFS can we try him as a striker for once? 

He's played once as a striker this season in round 2, scored twice. He starts onside, has pace and shoots with power. 

Yes his shooting is hit and miss, but atleast his have conviction, and Mifsuds shots lack both power and the "hit" component, in that they are never on target anyway. FFS the only goal he has scored has been from the penalty spot with nobody between him and the goals. 

At least give him a go in his natural position for more than one game in a row because all other options are exhausted. 

This!!!

These are the players that after season two should have been assessed at to wether they were good enough to move forward with. Which they never were. The clubs ambitions are definitely to blame for the reasons as to why these players were held onto. Such small ambitions going into season three meant we didn't see the need to find better more capable replacements.

No matter what issue, both big or small, always comes back to the people in charge of the club.

Was signed on a 3 year contract after season 1, not much we could do other than ride it out. Doubt he'll be here next year as we won't be paying overs, nor will we give him a lengthy contract.

Edited by sharpy

Well until the ownership issue is sorted out, followed by the appointment of a permanent coach who will then review the playing list, then we will find out whether the club will give him another contract. Let's face it with so many players out of contract and depending on the budget no one will know how the list will pan out. FWIW I certainly will have him at the club and he needs to be played as a striker.

If things had continued under Aloisi we wouldn't be in the position of talking about who we wanted to keep or not, we would have been sending out press gangs to local ovals to find 24 unfortunates who couldn't escape! I'd like to play him as a striker but if JVS wants to use a false 9 then DMac or Gol Gol are probably better at holding up the ball that DW. Mind you, the way that we have devolved, we are a long way off successfully playing any sophisticated game plans.

• Like 1

Don't understand why a lot of people on here say we should play him as a striker, he lacks all the attributes to be a striker, bad first touch, no composure, no brain, horrible finishing, poor link up play, the only attribute he has going for him is his pace which IMO is best used out wide, and because of this, I think his best position is on the wing. Shouldn't get re-signed.

Because he is a striker. When he was at Brondby and while at NQF he was played nearly exclusively as a striker, he looked good in a hapless NQF team.

He has no attributes that point to him being a successful striker, arguments like 'he was good at fury' are rubbish, because that was 3-4 years ago, and they were shambles.

I'm not sure I buy the argument that Williams is so bad because he's not being played as an out an out striker.

He was played there in pre-season, and was pretty dreadful.

Also, the 2 goals he scored against CCM at AAMI when he was in advanced positions were tap ins. And he somehow managed to not score a third tap in that game.

And, of course, he missed another sitter against Wellington. 

I just don't rate Williams. Poor touch, poor passing, poor finishing.

• Like 2

I'm not sure I buy the argument that Williams is so bad because he's not being played as an out an out striker.

He was played there in pre-season, and was pretty dreadful.

Also, the 2 goals he scored against CCM at AAMI when he was in advanced positions were tap ins. And he somehow managed to not score a third tap in that game.

And, of course, he missed another sitter against Wellington. 

I just don't rate Williams. Poor touch, poor passing, poor finishing.

This fucking post :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

How many more chances does he get? He's no good. The rest of the league has gotten better while he is still at the same skill level he was when at NQF

According to Wikipedia his record at NQF (8 goals from 49 matches) was actually slightly worse than his record at Heart (10 from 52).

IMO what you are currently seeing from DW is as far as he is able to go in terms of development as a footballer. His main attribute is speed, and he's only going to get slower from here on in.

We already rely far too much on speedsters in the squad - others being Dugandzic, Ramsay and Mifsud. I long for the day I see a couple of Heart players able to beat a man with a swivel of the hips or a step-over or some other piece of footwork trickery.

• Like 3