Melbourne Football

Round 19 - Macarthur vs. Melbourne City, Friday 1st March, KO 7.45 pm

jw1739

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I keep hearing that our team is really good on paper, perhaps we can use this paper to light the fire?

The fuel is wet, the kindling is wet, the touch paper is wet, and we lost the matches some time ago...

Nothing shits me more than when Natel completely stops all momentum of the play, by standing there with the ball at his feet staring at his defender. For him to shoot and pass it terribly.

There is not a fucking defender in the league worried about what you are going to do.. There is a reason why they let you have the ball inside the box and don't bother trying to put pressure on you. 

• Like 1

It’s fascinating that everyone walks around with the same a look on their face, of not understanding each other despite training together everyday.

On the hand I see 80% of our opposition just being quicker, more agile and better on the ball.

Just now, D.B. Cooper said:

We e been a lot better since those changes. Pity they were so late.

Who would’ve thought positive, fast & attacking football looks so much better than the slow stagnant shit we usually play. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It’s fascinating that everyone walks around with the same a look on their face, of not understanding each other despite training together everyday.

On the hand I see 80% of our opposition just being quicker, more agile and better on the ball.

Worst squad we've ever had. Even in the dark days of Aloisi we played with spirit.

I don't resile from the view that Lam, VdV, Sakhi, Rado, van Houten and the other assistant who left, all saw that there was no future here and that's why they walked.

I'm looking forward to the next episode of "Talking City."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

We e been a lot better since those changes. Pity they were so late.

Most of the momentum in the second half; conceded 2 goals to 2 shots; scored nothing.

No finals for us, mercifully. The quicker this season is over for us, the better

Edited by belaguttman

I really hope we are getting the phrase 'mutual termination' and a heartfelt 'thanks for your time and good luck in the future' ready, cause we're going to need it a fair bit if we are serious about what this squad is 

• Haha 1

So.

I would sum up that we started with decent energy but seemed to not come out in the second half. Got completely run over for about 25 minutes then after a triple sub had a period of dominance, but once again weren’t great at finishing.

All in all I would say our best was really just average. Pretty much a typical game for this boring season. 

Terrible and devoid of belief. Vidmar's negativity has permeated into the spirit of the playing. We are easily beatable and the only SLIM chance we have is if he's sacked and we get on an instant role ... but I'm talking 50 to 1 odds we can still make the finals 

2 hours ago, haz said:

He really doesn't seem fazed that we lost AGAIN...1 win in the last 8 games folks. Just 2 wins so far this year!! 

Look Aurelio, I know you came from a "pissant town" where they don't have any expectations. But here at Melbourne City we expect to be top 6 comfortably, not struggling to beat teams below 8th on the table...

Do yourself a favour and follow Rado OUT!!!

• Like 1

I listened to perhaps 90 seconds and had had enough. It's the same old, same old, mantra, just expressed slightly differently. "Things didn't work out for us, we did enough to get something out of the game, we'll regroup and do it all again next week, blah, blah, blah."

The fundamental problem with this approach is believing that you are right (the "City way") and refusing to realise that you aren't always right and that there's a need to change.

Sadly, I can't see change happening while this mentality pervades the club.

12 hours ago, neio said:

Nothing shits me more than when Natel completely stops all momentum of the play, by standing there with the ball at his feet staring at his defender. For him to shoot and pass it terribly.

There is not a fucking defender in the league worried about what you are going to do.. There is a reason why they let you have the ball inside the box and don't bother trying to put pressure on you. 

I never noticed that now I can't stop noticing. Geez 

He has our team set up terribly. Way too much space between our midfield and forwards, especially when  we lose the ball up front. Once we've lost the ball up forward the opponent easily plays to the next line, normally centrally. 

When we went to a back 3 last night (which I'm convinced was an idea from the assistant coach), with Arslan dropping deeper, and the extra man then in the midfield we actually controlled the game and attacked with meaning, and really on any other night would have at least scored one

The same old setup, with players not good to enough to execute effectively means we are so predictable it's not funny.

It was obvious after bout 15 minutes last night that we'd lose, via some cheap goals ... and yep, that happened.  I feel for JMac. His slump can be blamed on the team as he gets next to zero service, and his confidence is absolutely shot. It's happening with all our forwards. 

No doubt in my mind, a better coach would have us winning more than we're losing.

Trust me. The team is strong enough, it's our style of play and management that's killing us.

Time to fuck off Vidmar. Go back to Adelaide and take your recruitment mate with ya. Club needs some fresh blood. Complacency has crept in.  Other clubs are showing us how to do it and are going past us. This shouldn't happen

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

He has our team set up terribly. Way too much space between our midfield and forwards, especially when  we lose the ball up front. Once we've lost the ball up forward the opponent easily plays to the next line, normally centrally. 

When we went to a back 3 last night (which I'm convinced was an idea from the assistant coach), with Arslan dropping deeper, and the extra man then in the midfield we actually controlled the game and attacked with meaning, and really on any other night would have at least scored one

The same old setup, with players not good to enough to execute effectively means we are so predictable it's not funny.

It was obvious after bout 15 minutes last night that we'd lose, via some cheap goals ... and yep, that happened.  I feel for JMac. His slump can be blamed on the team as he gets next to zero service, and his confidence is absolutely shot. It's happening with all our forwards. 

No doubt in my mind, a better coach would have us winning more than we're losing.

Trust me. The team is strong enough, it's our style of play and management that's killing us.

Time to fuck off Vidmar. Go back to Adelaide and take your recruitment mate with ya. Club needs some fresh blood. Complacency has crept in.  Other clubs are showing us how to do it and are going past us. This shouldn't happen

Agree, also having our wide players on the opposite side the ball is being played are inside the halfway line, maybe due to the space. There's barely a press, we look static.

I doubt Vidmar will be let go, same as Petrillo. Vidmar hasn't earned the right to continue though and Petrillo got this seasons recruiting all wrong, but he usually get's it so we are at least competitive, should he be let go?

Couple that with no coordinated team press and opponents attack like a hot knife through butter

I agree