Melbourne Football

Round 15 vs Adelaide 12th January, Thursday

kingofhearts

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty simple really, for every match from here on in - got to take as many points as we possibly can. With the squad we have anything other than a top four finish is an absolute fail.

I'd say anything less than a top two is a fail despite being 6 (potentially 9) points behind Victory. Anything less than a top four is a catastrophe!

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Personally I think Cahill can now only play at an elite level in one position- striker. So I would play him there and have Bruno as #10. Bruno will get more time on the ball and has the class to cause chaos.

But how do you justify last years golden boot winner not being the main man. I think Cahill is doing well, he really sets the temprement of the team and im not sure he can do that from the strikers position but in midfield he can put on hard tackles and get under peoples skin. If he tries to do that from a strickers position then the ref will blow the whistle everytime.

44 minutes ago, playmaker said:

That his priorities are this:

Priority 1: Play good football and entertain the crowd.

Priority 2: get the 3 points

Good to see the JVS brainwashing continues.

Harsh. I thought his interview was very good. I'm glad good football and entertainment is part of our game. 

1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI (c), 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 14.Daniel ARZANI (promoted), 18.Paulo RETRE (promoted), 27.Fernando BRANDAN (returns from suspension)

Outs: 8.Neil KILKENNY (suspended - 1 week)

Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season), 

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm just wondering what the alternative is? Seems a logical approach. 

The priority must surely be to win the match. If you can "play good football" and "entertain" at the same time as winning, then that's a bonus. But I don't see them as being more important than actually winning.

FFS I wish that City could get off their arses and get a roving microphone at these pressers so that we could actually hear the questions as well as the answers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

But how do you justify last years golden boot winner not being the main man. I think Cahill is doing well, he really sets the temprement of the team and im not sure he can do that from the strikers position but in midfield he can put on hard tackles and get under peoples skin. If he tries to do that from a strickers position then the ref will blow the whistle everytime.

I know what you're saying about Bruno, I justify it in that he is now normally surrounded by defenders and without Mooy is not getting the service, so by his standards he's struggling at present. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, [LIBBA] said:

1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI (c), 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Fernando BRANDAN

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 14.Daniel ARZANI (promoted), 18.Paulo RETRE (promoted), 27.Fernando BRANDAN (returns from suspension)

Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season), 

-Deleted Image-

SUBS: Sorensen, Caceres, Muscat, Fitzgerald, Retre (Arzani)

On 1/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, [LIBBA] said:

**two to be omitted**

No Chapman? He's surely gone

Edited by haz

59 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I know what you're saying about Bruno, I justify it in that he is now normally surrounded by defenders and without Mooy is not getting the service, so by his standards he's struggling at present. 

Well it was actually Novillo that provided more assists for Bruno than Mooy did. There is a good YouTube clip of all his goals and it's surprising how little Mooy did assist Bruno

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [LIBBA] said:

**two to be omitted**

All 22 players in the senior squad are named except Chapman. Why not name them all and say "three to be omitted"?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The priority must surely be to win the match. If you can "play good football" and "entertain" at the same time as winning, then that's a bonus. But I don't see them as being more important than actually winning.

Exactly, hearing from a coach that winning is 2nd priority is concerning. And if entertainment is a high priority then what the hell happened last week and the preceding weeks where our game has been absolute torture to watch.

The top 3 priorities should be:

WIN

WIN

WIN

And then worry about everything else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Exactly, hearing from a coach that winning is 2nd priority is concerning. And if entertainment is a high priority then what the hell happened last week and the preceding weeks where our game has been absolute torture to watch.

The top 3 priorities should be:

WIN

WIN

WIN

And then worry about everything else.

That was the priority last week and we all complained about how boring it was!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The complaints had we actually lost would have been far worse, Dylan would have started his "Season Over" thread and the "Sack Valkanis" thread would have run white-hot.

47 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We both know that was rubbish.

Firstly the game wasn't dead until the 85th minute after Malik, Fitzy and Caceres came on and the 10 man opposition had to defend.

Secondly, you don't play that style from the start of the second half when you are only 1 0 up against 10 men.

Thirdly, the tactic did nothing, as we held our lead by shear luck where they had at least 3 clear goal scoring opportunities and should have converted at least 1.

Forthly, we are forced to play like that because we are incapable of counter attacking and lack accurate distribution to our centre forward area.

Fifthly, we are so obsessed with pressing and holding the ball that our constipated mindset allows the opposition a chance to score on the counter because our players are spent from running around like headless chooks.

Lastly the strategy played in the second half gets employed once the the game is dead, which is usually at the 70th minute when defenders get subbed on and the score is 2 0, but even then an 11 man squad wouldn't allow that to happen

If there are going to be no changes to the way we play, the total football, beautiful football rubbish; to something much more solid, balanced and sustainable and perhaps less attractive, which is a matter of opinion anyway, then kiss another season goodbye.

BTW, watched the game again last night and Kamou is killing our scoring potential, he needs to be rested for a few weeks.