Melbourne Football

ACL Matchday 5 |Ventforet Kofu VS Melbourne City | Wednesday 9 November 9PM AEST KO

jw1739

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

So what now, even a win in the last round might not be enough?

Unfortunately this is correct.. yet again we will need results to go our way even if we are to win our next game. Feels surreal that last season we missed out on the Round of 16 because of a stupid moment from Glover.. fast forward 12 months and it could be because of a stupid moment by Young that costs us yet again..

So the scenarios I can see

If we win next game.... We qualify in top spot - if we win by more goals than Kofu beat Buriram - if Kofu doesn't win 

If we win next game and Kofu keep above us on GD.... We finish 2nd and still qualify for next round if one of Incheon, Jeonbuk or Ulsan don't collect 3 points from their game

Any other scenario and I think we are out, including a win if the above 3 teams all win and we dont get ahead of Kofu 

• Like 1

We are in complete control of our destiny, and are playing the weakest team in the group at home for our next fixture.

If we don't qualify for the next round it would be a disaster. Kofu has to go and play Buririam at home which is no easy task. Everything is in our favour.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We are in complete control of our destiny, and are playing the weakest team in the group at home for our next fixture.

If we don't qualify for the next round it would be a disaster. Kofu has to go and play Buririam at home which is no easy task. Everything is in our favour.

Absolutely.

It's unfortunate that the final match is at Princes Park, but there are lessons that we just have to learn from these two participations in the ACL. One that stands out like dogs balls is that we need better goalkeepers in our squad that the likes of Glover and Young.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely.

It's unfortunate that the final match is at Princes Park, but there are lessons that we just have to learn from these two participations in the ACL. One that stands out like dogs balls is that we need better goalkeepers in our squad that the likes of Glover and Young.

Remember we let Gauci go and signed Glover to another contract

• Sad 1

It's a crazy group, that's for sure - the fact any of the four teams can finish top on the final matchday is testament to that. Princes Park is certainly going to be interesting but I'm low-key hyped for it, should be a really unique atmosphere and it'll be huge if we get up!! 

We looked excellent in possession for large periods of last night's game, it's just when we get broken on the counter that we look susceptible. Is it our pressing game falling apart further up the pitch or are our defenders/GK just severely out of form? Idk. One thing's clear though, we have the talent to get out of the group.

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One that stands out like dogs balls is that we need better goalkeepers in our squad that the likes of Glover and Young.

Maybe a hot take? But I think Glover was largely pretty decent for us. To me, goalkeeprs fall into trap more so than any other position that they can do ten good things in a game, one bad and people tend to only remember the bad. He started almost every game for the Austrlian U 23 teams, and when he was at City and playing regularly he was making Socceroos squads. Theres a reason he earnt himself a move to a decently sized championship club. 

And even if he wasn't perfect, there was obvious upside of him being a promising young australian keeper. With Jamie, hes obviously well past it, so whats to be gained from playing him? Might not be for everyone, but I'd personally rather start Beach every game and work through the teething pains - especially when we as a club are in a transitioning period.

8 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Maybe a hot take? But I think Glover was largely pretty decent for us. To me, goalkeeprs fall into trap more so than any other position that they can do ten good things in a game, one bad and people tend to only remember the bad. He started almost every game for the Austrlian U 23 teams, and when he was at City and playing regularly he was making Socceroos squads. Theres a reason he earnt himself a move to a decently sized championship club. 

And even if he wasn't perfect, there was obvious upside of him being a promising young australian keeper. With Jamie, hes obviously well past it, so whats to be gained from playing him? Might not be for everyone, but I'd personally rather start Beach every game and work through the teething pains - especially when we as a club are in a transitioning period.

Whatever the differing views on Glover, he's gone and it doesn't matter now.

I certainly agree that we should be starting Beach. Otherwise he'll go just like Gauci.

12 minutes ago, Nate said:

It's a crazy group, that's for sure - the fact any of the four teams can finish top on the final matchday is testament to that. Princes Park is certainly going to be interesting but I'm low-key hyped for it, should be a really unique atmosphere and it'll be huge if we get up!! 

We looked excellent in possession for large periods of last night's game, it's just when we get broken on the counter that we look susceptible. Is it our pressing game falling apart further up the pitch or are our defenders/GK just severely out of form? Idk. One thing's clear though, we have the talent to get out of the group.

The press will always fail sooner or later, and when it does if an ageing, slow and ponderous defence like ours is a shade too far forward then we're very vulnerable. East Asian sides are quick and agile due to body shape, weight and size and they don't dwell on the ball.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, neio said:

Our task for the next game may have became a little easier, surely there will be suspensions. All in punch on at the end of the Buriram and Chinese team game last night 

https://twitter.com/GaryKLH/status/1729880101985382476?t=nqrK1iHdnQnDZCsorc2NFg&s=19

If there aren't there ought to be. That's pretty poor stuff.

3 hours ago, neio said:

Our task for the next game may have became a little easier, surely there will be suspensions. All in punch on at the end of the Buriram and Chinese team game last night 

https://twitter.com/GaryKLH/status/1729880101985382476?t=nqrK1iHdnQnDZCsorc2NFg&s=19

Thai's and Chinese aren't the friendliest towards each other, a bit of history there between the two nations.

The game started pretty niggly and just carried on from there.

6 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Good to see the monkey of their back of first goals from Talbot and Jakolis, could lead to more from both these guys which would be welcome. And also good to see Maclaren let Arslan take the penalty and he did it so smoothly too. He's one class act

JMac with 7 and Arslan with 6 are our leading goalscorers. Arslan has converted all three of his penalties, and Antonis his one.