Rd14 Vs WSW @ Aami 7.50 p.m. Friday 6th Jan 2017

neio

JVS 33%

Valkanis 100%

Positives:

We won

We unbelievably kept a clean sheet

A positive first half with a desire missing from the last month

Good to see us play a back 4 although WSW was one team we could have played a back 3. It allowed Kilkenny to push further forward. Jakobson and Tongyik looks a promising central defensive performance and allowed josh Rose to play in a familiar way for him.

Good subs from Valkanis

Good post game interview from Valkanis

Negatives:

Second half was dire, no intensity, poor final ball from everyone. Lost control of the game in the second half. I do know that it was hot but...

Total inability to break down 10 men, i can't think of a single game where we've used our numerical advantage, ball speed was glacial in the second half.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

ball speed was glacial in the second half.

And this is a compliment, what are they scared of? Losing possession? Ooooooh let's not create real chances for the fear of losing possession. Oooohhh scary stuff for professional footballers to deal with, isn't it.

Pathetic, boring and anti-football.

Boring, boring and boring. 

I would rather go to the dentist and get a tooth ripped out for shits and giggles than watch another half like that.

As Bruno said so well,

F#CK OFF!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

JVS 33%

Valkanis 100%

Positives:

We won

Good to see us play a back 4 although WSW was one team we could have played a back 3. It allowed Kilkenny to push further forward. Jakobson and Tongyik looks a promising central defensive performance and allowed josh Rose to play in a familiar way for him.

Good subs from Valkanis

Negatives:

Second half was dire, no intensity, poor final ball from everyone. Lost control of the game in the second half. I do know that it was hot but...

Total inability to break down 10 men, i can't think of a single game where we've used our numerical advantage, ball speed was glacial in the second half.

Awful conditions for football probably played a part, but we were so negative in that second half. Possibly the most boring half of football I've ever watched. Josh Rose must have been born backwards. Also a very poor game from Cahill - needs to watch it touching the referee all the time and acting the prima donna. IMO he's spoiling Bruno's game badly. Kamau can't shoot for toffee. Kilkenny will miss next week with 8 yellows, but we'll have Brandan back. Take the three points and move on.

Valkanis looked a little bit more involved than JvS.

Nice touch with the banner Melburnians. I think summed up what we all wanted to say. Thank you for that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO he's spoiling Bruno's game badly. Kamau can't shoot for toffee. 

The whole team is letting Bruno down by bringing the ball wide all the time and passing it back and then bringing it wide again.

It's amazing how when Caceres and Fitzy came on they took a few more risks and got more central and this drew defenders out and allowed Bruno more opportunities. Also we have no counter attacking opportunities because they are so scared of losing possession that they move it too slow, bad for Bruno again.

Bruno needs space, not much, but a bit so our tactics are just forcing the opposition to sit 8 back, forcing us wide which takes Bruno out of the game.

Our tactics are a joke.

• Like 1

We look just so timid in possession it's so frustrating! It's like we're so focussed on trying to keep possession that we refuse to try and score a goal! The ammount of times we have been in that situation, 1-0 up at the death, and lost points because we refused to bury an opponent is ridiculous and tonight we were very lucky to not be there again! Thanks to a great save from Bouzanis and some awful play by Nicholls we managed to scrape the win. That's all. Our only goal was a fluke hit from our fullback on the volley. What happened to the free-flowing, attack minded City of the first derby? We look scared.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

We look just so timid in possession it's so frustrating! It's like we're so focussed on trying to keep possession that we refuse to try and score a goal! The ammount of times we have been in that situation, 1-0 up at the death, and lost points because we refused to bury an opponent is ridiculous and tonight we were very lucky to not be there again! Thanks to a great save from Bouzanis and some awful play by Nicholls we managed to scrape the win. That's all. Our only goal was a fluke hit from our fullback on the volley. What happened to the free-flowing, attack minded City of the first derby? We look scared.

Total Football my arse, Total Farce more like it. And this coming from me who grew up with Serie A. No-one ever say Italian football is too defensive when we are experiencing this bullshit.

During the second half I'm quite certain the msg was to hold possession in order to make the Wanderers press forward and then to hit the wings once space opened up. From an execution point of view it worked well and is tactically sound. Our fullbacks had heaps of space and time on the ball when they could hit those wings and we looked dangerous as a result. Problem is it was dire football until the time we managed to execute this. It felt like 20 or 30 passes everytime before we could go forward effectively.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Agree

Home ground advantage 

score line advantage 

numerical advantage 

all positives yet we insist on just fluffing around instead of putting the boot on the throat to finish it.

to make it worse last 15 minutes I was just waiting for a stupid error where we cough up a weak goal to WSW ending with a draw.

never confident about the result until the final whistle.

scraping in like this is not good enough sorry

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, n i k o said:

During the second half I'm quite certain the msg was to hold possession in order to make the Wanderers press forward and then to hit the wings once space opened up. From an execution point of view it worked well and is tactically sound. Our fullbacks had heaps of space and time on the ball when they could hit those wings and we looked dangerous as a result. Problem is it was dire football until the time we managed to execute this. It felt like 20 or 30 passes everytime before we could go forward effectively.  

Just home from a long drive and was contemplating the idea of actually winning a game but still coming home depressed by what I'd seen.  I didn't think it was possible until tonight.  My 13 yo son (who actually studies the game quite closely) looked up to me and said at 70 minutes that this was rubbish football - and he was spot on. Niko, it may have been the tactic to hold possession and hit the wings, but I really disagree that it was done well.  That second half especially was dire, boring, uneventful and actually seriously risked playing into WSW hands. 

If you want to play possession based football, the first principle is that someone has to present for the ball. What I saw tonight would have had any junior coach in apoplexy. I honestly couldn't believe the number of times Kilkenny had received the ball from a CB, turned around to go forward and saw 4 WSW shirts in front of him and no forward option or anyone else presenting at all? I can recall four occasions when there were six players in a straight line as our forward structure across the park with one of our full backs pushing up into a line with the rest of the midfielders and forwards. It was like they were lining up to start a race across the field. I'd never seen a 3-1-flat 6 structure before. The hole between our 6 and the rest was unbelievable. Where was Cahill when we had possession? Our "10" was jogging forward with his back to the ball pressing right up the park, as was Brattan. So what do we do? We either go back and fuck around with the ball, or we go long. A criticism of Tongyik above about long balls - the poor kid often had no other option. Cough the ball up playing out and you risk an opposition fast break with a guaranteed overload, and on a few occasions we saw this. WSW were very patient, compact but I'll never know if we could break them down because I don't think we had a midfield of any nature to try and play through them. I thought we were meant to be playing the "City way" with beautiful possession based football? What we had tonight was the Aloisi plan on steroids and it was dire. If this is what Valkanis brings and wants us to play then we have real problems.  It was shit. 

Interesting to also see Jakobsen begging to come off at 70 minutes indicating he was cooked.  Just back from injury and probably unused to the heat, he didn't look happy when the sub board was going up without his number on it.  I just hope he hasn't re-injured himself.

Well done to Tongyik - coming along nicely - and Franjic had a good game. I was also thinking how the hell the World Cup will work in Qatar?  Tough for the players in the low 30's and the quality dropped right off at the end. Low 40's would be just murderous.

Take the points I guess. But that just wasn't great tonight.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

JVS 33%

Valkanis 100%

Positives:

We won

Good subs from Valkanis

Negatives:

It's always concerning when our opponents go down to 10 men.

We looked like two different teams. First half was strong and purposeful with good use of wide players to stretch WSW and create chances. Second half was slow and ponderous. You just have to ask yourself, what would Victree and Shydney have done to an opposition if they had numerical advantage on the the pitch? They would have creamed them that's what. And that's pretty much sums up why we will not win more silverware this season unless Valkanis turns around the mindset and gets the lads to become more positive and attack minded for the whole 90 min. As others have written, how often do we see a forward pass as a good option only to have the ball passed backwards. Mooy created terrific opportunities for Bruno with a deft slide passes - that's missing this season. Last night Kamau was gifted great opportunities to extend our lead but fluffed his lines appallingly - Novillo would have buried those chances into the back of the net.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

After sleeping on it last night's game was a great result, terrible game but great result nonetheless. 

Major factor was the heat. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was the first really hot game for the season. I was sweating just watching. So it was understandable the quality was going to be lacking. 

Playing with a back 4 for the entire game was sensible and effective and for me personally I hope it puts to bed the 3 we have been using. With the 4 it allowed Franjic and Rose the ability to push and gave us good width especially the first 30. And Rose was very good and for the first time wasn't our worst player. Jakobsen is the difference if we will win or lose more often than not and alongside Ruon I can see them developing into a very formidable combination. Kilkenny was again immense and his passing range is very very high, only criticism is why would you wear a thermal skin undershirt. Insane.

Brattan was poor and should have been dragged earlier but credit to Valkanis to do it, should of been replaced last week also after his head knock. He needs to be rested he doesn't look right.

Kamau was good and looked dangerous and is working well with Franjic and is regaining his early season form and had he scored late could have been MOTM. 

Colazo again disapoints. His corners are class but for a Marquee he needs to do more. With Brandan back he could be benched which would be a major setback for him but more so the team. He needs to lift massively or we could be seeing the early stages of the Koren experiment, were by he doesn't fit into the team and the structure is adjusted to accommodate and him and he can't play that position. Maybe left back is his only real position. Not sure but I'm concerned. 

With Brattan being poor and Colazo not having much effect Cahill and Fornaroli were starved of service through the middle and via the left and everything dangerous came from the right and what filled me with joy was that we no longer had Clisby (although he did hit 1 super ball that nearly led to a goal on a top save from Bouzanis prevented it).

All up any win against the Wanderers is a good win and not conceeding was a double bonus. A good foundation to build from and who knows this could be the start of a new beginning. 

I thought the Perth game was extremely humid as well. I was sweating more that night than last night.

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I thought the Perth game was extremely humid as well. I was sweating more that night than last night.

Maybe true. I use the beer bulb scale. The perth game I had 3 beers and last night 5 therefore last night was hotter.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

Just home from a long drive and was contemplating the idea of actually winning a game but still coming home depressed by what I'd seen.  I didn't think it was possible until tonight.  My 13 yo son (who actually studies the game quite closely) looked up to me and said at 70 minutes that this was rubbish football - and he was spot on. Niko, it may have been the tactic to hold possession and hit the wings, but I really disagree that it was done well.  That second half especially was dire, boring, uneventful and actually seriously risked playing into WSW hands. 

If you want to play possession based football, the first principle is that someone has to present for the ball. What I saw tonight would have had any junior coach in apoplexy. I honestly couldn't believe the number of times Kilkenny had received the ball from a CB, turned around to go forward and saw 4 WSW shirts in front of him and no forward option or anyone else presenting at all? I can recall four occasions when there were six players in a straight line as our forward structure across the park with one of our full backs pushing up into a line with the rest of the midfielders and forwards. It was like they were lining up to start a race across the field. I'd never seen a 3-1-flat 6 structure before. The hole between our 6 and the rest was unbelievable. Where was Cahill when we had possession? Our "10" was jogging forward with his back to the ball pressing right up the park, as was Brattan. So what do we do? We either go back and fuck around with the ball, or we go long. A criticism of Tongyik above about long balls - the poor kid often had no other option. Cough the ball up playing out and you risk an opposition fast break with a guaranteed overload, and on a few occasions we saw this. WSW were very patient, compact but I'll never know if we could break them down because I don't think we had a midfield of any nature to try and play through them. I thought we were meant to be playing the "City way" with beautiful possession based football? What we had tonight was the Aloisi plan on steroids and it was dire. If this is what Valkanis brings and wants us to play then we have real problems.  It was shit. 

Interesting to also see Jakobsen begging to come off at 70 minutes indicating he was cooked.  Just back from injury and probably unused to the heat, he didn't look happy when the sub board was going up without his number on it.  I just hope he hasn't re-injured himself.

Well done to Tongyik - coming along nicely - and Franjic had a good game. I was also thinking how the hell the World Cup will work in Qatar?  Tough for the players in the low 30's and the quality dropped right off at the end. Low 40's would be just murderous.

Take the points I guess. But that just wasn't great tonight.  

Ill have to disagree with you there because I think the msg that went out was executed almost exactly as asked. Whether it's the right decision is another debate. Everyone focuses on us and what we did or didn't do but I'll say this, that was a difficult game. In fact the way WSW were set up with two banks of 4 players across defence and midfield with not much space between either made it extremely hard to get between the lines. Breaking down defences like this is our biggest Achilles heel in the past. Was it rubbish football? Matter of opinion for sure but I certainly agree that we're still not direct enough and we still take too long to get the ball. 

Just on the formation. Valkanis confirmed last night that the 4-3-3 is our standard setup however we trained during off season to be able to play a 3-4-3 when needed to. Hopefully he can reconginse when either should be played. IMO JVS got both formation wrong the last two games. He played a 3 at the back against Perth and 4 at the back against CCM, both wrong decisions. 

Actually thought it was a good win. Normally that game would end in a draw or a loss so hopefully we've broken the cycle.

Very tough playing conditions and also very hard to break down 10 men who are resolutely implementing absolute defence.

If we can solve the problem of being able to create clearer attacking chances we'll be back on track. 

A side note; SBS runs the worst coverage in the universe ... they could not be more biased towards WSW if they tried

Just now, HeartOfCity said:

Doesnt understand the gripes against Kamau, he was the only one really getting us forward last night and lets be honest if he was running at defenders and scoring goals after blitzing his oponent on the wing then he wouldnt be playing in this league. I think he's a game breaker whether he scores or not

Gripes? He was down in form for a few weeks but has come good in the last few. 

Exactly regarding finishing. If he could be a quality finisher with his ability to run at and take on defenders he would be in Europe. He is not there yet and hopefully for him and us he develops that part of his game but last night was as good as his first 3 games which are high standard. He needs to bring that consistently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Actually thought it was a good win. Normally that game would end in a draw or a loss so hopefully we've broken the cycle.

Very tough playing conditions and also very hard to break down 10 men who are resolutely implementing absolute defence.

If we can solve the problem of being able to create clearer attacking chances we'll be back on track. 

A side note; SBS runs the worst coverage in the universe ... they could not be more biased towards WSW if they tried

It is the worst! The Aleague would be struggling to get people through the gates if they switch on to an Aleague game provided by SBS as there first viewing. Im pretty sure i have an axe to grind with Foster but his special comments are exactly that "special"

haven't read anyone else's view

firstly 3 points is good

that plus Ivan's wonderstrike are the positives

playing against 10 men for 60 minutes in that heat and we couldn't break them down and score again?

I think Janjetkovic had to make 2 saves in the second half

don't start me on Kamau's lack on decision making,

Plus Colazzo , as a marquee, is not delivering.

• Like 1

The answer is that our forward ball movement is just too bloody slow. When you've got someone like Rose in the side who spent just about the whole of the second half passing the ball backwards, and someone like Cahill lumbering about the field (hasn't got the control to play off Bruno) then you're never going to penetrate, whether the opposition plays 4-4-2 or any other set-up. Bouzanis had one lucky break when the ball hit his shoulder(?) and bounced clear, and made two classy saves in the second half, and but for Nicholls' awful mistake in front of goal we would have dropped points yet again. And I just don't get the criticism of Colazo. Very classy footballer, can play all over the park, and is involved with many of our forward movements. Just because he doesn't go in for typical SA histrionics doesn't mean to say he isn't playing well. 

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The answer is that our forward ball movement is just too bloody slow. When you've got someone like Rose in the side who spent just about the whole of the second half passing the ball backwards, and someone like Cahill lumbering about the field (hasn't got the control to play off Bruno) then you're never going to penetrate, whether the opposition plays 4-4-2 or any other set-up. Bouzanis had one lucky break when the ball hit his shoulder(?) and bounced clear, and made two classy saves in the second half, and but for Nicholls' awful mistake in front of goal we would have dropped points yet again. And I just don't get the criticism of Colazo. Very classy footballer, can play all over the park, and is involved with many of our forward movements. Just because he doesn't go in for typical SA histrionics doesn't mean to say he isn't playing well. 

The question of Colazo isn't his class. It's that he isn't doing things on the pitch that would warrant a marquee player as of yet. In fact I'd take Brandan over Colazo so far. Given Brandan has played more, however, he has made a far greater impact so far.

Edited by n i k o

I thought that the team played better this week than in the last month. I was expecting the drop off after half time because of the heat. For me the only disappointment was the finishing where Fornaroli, Kamau and Rose could and should have have scored. WSW certainly became more defensive and aggressive after the send off (Popa took off Jumpei for a defender). I thought Cahill played a great game and definitely saved a goal. Can't ask too much more of him if they are not playing him up forward. As for Brattan, I certainly believe he needs a rest, unfortunately I don't think Caceres is up to the job - I can understand why he was not getting a game at CCM.

I think for the way that we play, Colazo would be more suited playing the LB than the LW role. Correct me if i'm wrong but i would say the majority of crosses last night were delivered by Franjic and Rose with the Franjic/Kamau interplay leading to a lot of crosses also for the night. In my opinion when Brandan comes back he goes to LW, Colazo to LB like the FA Cup final to utilise his crossing/delivery. and rose benched which is probably the strongest starting XI. Football isn't my number one sport so i'm not sure how close to the mark I am when it comes to tactics! :)

Last night it looked like Bouzanis was much more conservative with his passing with only one flying over a players head on the sideline and took a more conservative approach when playing out so i wonder if that was a focus/deliberate ploy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Ill have to disagree with you there because I think the msg that went out was executed almost exactly as asked. Whether it's the right decision is another debate. Everyone focuses on us and what we did or didn't do but I'll say this, that was a difficult game. In fact the way WSW were set up with two banks of 4 players across defence and midfield with not much space between either made it extremely hard to get between the lines. Breaking down defences like this is our biggest Achilles heel in the past. Was it rubbish football? Matter of opinion for sure but I certainly agree that we're still not direct enough and we still take too long to get the ball. 

Just on the formation. Valkanis confirmed last night that the 4-3-3 is our standard setup however we trained during off season to be able to play a 3-4-3 when needed to. Hopefully he can reconginse when either should be played. IMO JVS got both formation wrong the last two games. He played a 3 at the back against Perth and 4 at the back against CCM, both wrong decisions. 

I think in an odd way we agree. My question basically is - do you think it was the right strategy? That was the thing that baffled me and did my head in and I must say disappointed me. I guess I went along hoping for a new start - I think many of us did - and I'll concede that is probably naive on my account. But after all the years of rubbish, I was just hoping for change and acknowledge it's early days.

With numerical advantage we didn't exploit it by always having a free man and trying to play through. Compressing forward screws up Bruno's space and exposes us on the counter, not to mention being very, very ugly to watch.  With the talent we have and WSW's season, to basically leave the door open for them to get back in the game for the whole second half was ridiculous. We only looked dangerous when Caceras came on, presented, and wanted to play through. He at least was trying to unlock them (I know he's not everyone's favourite.  We really miss having a playmaker and wonder how Brandan would go there as an aside). 

To add - cudos to the forum. I really like the fact we can express a differing opinion on here and no one seems to play the man or get hot under the collar. Certainly different and more mature than many forums I've been on before. The mods must take credit - it's a good atmosphere on here. 

Edited by Defibrillator
Spelling!!
  • Like 4

@Defibrillator 

" With numerical advantage we didn't exploit it by always having a free man and trying to play through.:up:

"Compressing forward screws up Bruno's space and exposes us on the counter, not to mention being very, very ugly to watch." Bruno is getting less opportunities to do his stuff this season because of this. And because we don't pass to him in the slick manner that Mooy did. However he had some wonderful touches to allow Rose and Kamau shots on goals and created an opportunity for himself in the first half from seemingly nothing. Still a special player.

"With the talent we have and WSW's season, to basically leave the door open for them to get back in the game for the whole second half was ridiculous."  Honestly, I was grinding my teeth just expecting WSW to score - and it nearly happened.

"We only looked dangerous when Caceras came on, presented, and wanted to play through." Maybe kudos to Valkanis for recognising that we needed some urgency and direct play.

"He at least was trying to unlock them (I know he's not everyone's favourite.  We really miss having a playmaker :up::up: and wonder how Brandan would go there as an aside :hmm:). "

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

@Defibrillator 

" With numerical advantage we didn't exploit it by always having a free man and trying to play through.:up:

"Compressing forward screws up Bruno's space and exposes us on the counter, not to mention being very, very ugly to watch." Bruno is getting less opportunities to do his stuff this season because of this. And because we don't pass to him in the slick manner that Mooy did. However he had some wonderful touches to allow Rose and Kamau shots on goals and created an opportunity for himself in the first half from seemingly nothing. Still a special player.

"With the talent we have and WSW's season, to basically leave the door open for them to get back in the game for the whole second half was ridiculous."  Honestly, I was grinding my teeth just expecting WSW to score - and it nearly happened.

"We only looked dangerous when Caceras came on, presented, and wanted to play through." Maybe kudos to Valkanis for recognising that we needed some urgency and direct play.

"He at least was trying to unlock them (I know he's not everyone's favourite.  We really miss having a playmaker :up::up: and wonder how Brandan would go there as an aside :hmm:). "

Totally agree. This way of playing is not only anti-football but more importantly anti-Bruno, a even more importantly anti-winning.

Valkanis likes the look of Tongyik
By Clement Tito Jan 7 2017 2:16PM
Melbourne City interim coach Michael Valkanis expects to see more of young defender Ruon Tongyik this season.

Valkanis has experience working with Tongyik at former club Adelaide United and did not hesitate to play him as a centre-back in Friday's 1-0 win over Western Sydney Wanderers.

Tongyik made his debut in the 1-1 draw to Sydney FC a month ago and has featured in four games since then.

“I’ve known since he was 15, when we brought him into the youth team so we’ve watched him grow and he’s developed under us,” Valkanis said.

“He’s talented, I don’t think there are many defenders that are so technically gifted on the ball and so comfortable on the ball.

“We noticed that at a young age with Ruon, he was a real skinny kid and he had to work more on his defensive game.

“He’s done a very good job and as I said the experience he gained in the previous three or four games where even playing in the three, he took that pressure, played with the calmness he’s got and I think it’s going to be great for us.”

It was Valkanis’ first game as interim coach after the unexpected resignation of former head manager John van ’t Schip during the week.

After conceding it was an emotional week, he was content after City was able to keep a clean sheet in downing the Wanderers.

He however felt his team could have iced the game after Aritz Borda was sent off in the 30th minute for his elbow on Bruno Fornaroli.

“I thought the first half was very good and we created enough chances to win the game a little bit more comfortably,” he said.

“I think we had good clear cut chances, it shouldn’t have got to that. There was one or two times where they had opportunities but I don’t think clear cut.

“You’re always going to have opportunities against you. The only thing that could worry you was in the last five games, we have conceded those sort of goals.

“But today we had a clean sheet and the boys worked hard. It was difficult conditions, it was very, very hot and we played with a very good intensity in the first half. That affected our second half I think.”

Valkanis also dedicated the win to van’t Schip who is back home in the Netherlands attending to his sick father.

“It has been a tough week, someone who has been here for a very long time and part of this club shocked us with the news that he was resigning,” he said.

“This win was a little bit for John as well. The result was very important but with us it’s always about the style as well. Today the boys dominated the majority of the game.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/valkanis-likes-the-look-of-tongyik-446628