Melbourne Football

Round 10 away to Smurfs

mattyh001

Once again refused to go in for the kill, this one worse than the Wanderers game with the man advantage, so much useless possession and even at the end they looked more likely to score. These are games you simply have to close out if you want the premiers plate, instead 2 trips to Sydney and 4 points thrown in the bin.

4 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

You alright man?

Just drunk and pissed off.

I thought we had left these days behind, clearly not.

Why Cahill.wasnt the first sub off the bench blows my mind. We were dominated for most of the second by Sydney, why the fuck would you sub on retre first over cahill? Fucking hopeless

Seriously Aussie Refs probably the worst in the world. 

Bobo shouldn't be there with a red and the most dumb thing is once he got a yellow there will be no further suspension. Brillante is a f**king disgrace tried to hurt Cahill and this time Kilkenny. These two deserved warmest welcome at our ground.

A few thoughts from me:

- Bobo should have been off. Straight up. That tackle on Franjic was a disgrace and should have been a red. And to then get that penalty, it just shows how big a difference these missed calls make.

- Was Bruno there tonight? I don't remember the last time I saw such an anonymous performance from him. They defended him well but we just didn't get him the ball at all.

- Brandan's goal was brilliant.

- Jakobsen is brilliant. Everything we've ever wanted in a CB. A real hardman but with a head on his shoulders. Great player. 

- Neil Kilkenny is criminally underrated in this league. He is a real quiet achiever, and is definitely one of the best midfielders in the comp.

- Roun Tongyik was fantastic. Solid as a rock, almost got caught out by Brosque, but otherwise was great, what a debut.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Just drunk and pissed off.

I thought we had left these days behind, clearly not.

Why Cahill.wasnt the first sub off the bench blows my mind. We were dominated for most of the second by Sydney, why the fuck would you sub on retre first over cahill? Fucking hopeless

Yes, l questioned wtf when Retre came on as well. But fuck me, we talk about the league always improving but the standard of the refereeing has gone backwards.

Two points lost tonight but we also rode our luck at times so on balance it was probably a fair result. Nevertheless, that close to the end and a man up....

Positives:

We are competitive away against the league leader

We are showing passion and desire to win

Great debut from Tongyik, early days for a young player but our best central pairing performance of the season tonight

Negatives:

First pass out of defence poor with too many turnovers and needless pressure on our defence

Franjic's injury, hopefully not serious, why wasn't Bobo red carded

Matt Simon and Bobo should have also been red carded

Soft penalty but we've benefitted from the same in other games

Still can't close down a game

Edited by belaguttman

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Yes, l questioned wtf when Retre came on as well. But fuck me, we talk about the league always improving but the standard of the refereeing has gone backwards.

Agree about the reffing, but to concede a penalty with an extra man on the pitch is unforgivable I'm sorry. Not good enough

• Like 1

IMO after the pain of disappointment goes away IMO we'll see this result in a different light. To go to Sydney and take a point away after beating them last week is a good result overall. We knew there would be plenty of rough stuff as a consequence of the Cup win, and some suspect reffing as a result of Aloisi's cry-baby performance and adverse commentary on our players from others as well. A good debut from a young player in a position where we desperately need reinforcement is also promising.

I'm disappointed at the result, 2 points lost for sure. But we were woeful at the start of the game, and very lucky not to have conceded then. Our defense is still a concern, Jackobson notwithstanding.

On another note, what's our record against 10 men? Seems like we're more likely to lose than win with the man advantage, I've started to groan when I see the opposition red carded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Didn't see the second half live but just watching now.  Bobo should have been off and Matt Simon ought to have been close too.  We were the better side, but Brandan needs to cut out the diving.

Well he is South American so l accept the faking/diving. Hence why l never watch the Copa America.

Fuck some people need to calm their farms. A 1-1 draw away to an acrimonious penalty, to the undefeated ladder leaders. We are second on the fucking ladder (as it stands). So can the bullshit and the worlds ending rants. Or just go to the JVS thread and rag on him there cos he is shit. But we weren't entirely terrible for a team with a 19 year old cb in his first game against a team that has been scoring 5 a game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Fuck some people need to calm their farms. A 1-1 draw away to an acrimonious penalty, to the undefeated ladder leaders. We are second on the fucking ladder (as it stands). So can the bullshit and the worlds ending rants. Or just go to the JVS thread and rag on him there cos he is shit. But we weren't entirely terrible for a team with a 19 year old cb in his first game against a team that has been scoring 5 a game.

But we should've won. That's what's frustrating.

14 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Yeh perhaps your right. The world isn't ending. 

Let's just hope were not 6 points from Sydney come end of the season and complain then about how this was the game we should have won. 

Edited by n i k o