Melbourne Football

Friday 18th March vs Brisbane Roar 7.40 pm AAMI Park

kingofhearts

12 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Hope we get a good crowd for the game, very important to take the points against Brisbane and we're coming off a good win today.

14,000+ last night for Adelaide vs. City - Friday night seems fairly popular in Adelaide. IMO provided season-ticket holders make a bit of an effort we could get up around 15,000 for the Brisbane match. It's still very tight at the top of the ladder, and this is one of the most important matches in our history.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

14,000+ last night for Adelaide vs. City - Friday night seems fairly popular in Adelaide. IMO provided season-ticket holders make a bit of an effort we could get up around 15,000 for the Brisbane match. It's still very tight at the top of the ladder, and this is one of the most important matches in our history.

You did say 15,000 yeah? 

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Presume you are talking legs, not heads?  Surely everyone knows we won't crack 10k on a friday night.  

Not that i care.  The only number I'm interested in is the score post game (City 5 - Aloisi FC 1).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Presume you are talking legs, not heads?  Surely everyone knows we won't crack 10k on a friday night.  

Not that i care.  The only number I'm interested in is the score post game (City 5 - Aloisi FC 1).

If we're still in this position in a month's time, 15k would be what I'd hope to see in the final game against Adelaide. This game against Brisbane seems like the sort of game where we push for 10,000 and then, if we have a good result, the bandwagon will start gathering momentum.

A win would be massive, but on the flip side, it's similar to last night: we just can't afford to lose. Probably need 8+ points from the remaining games to have a chance to finish top (my money would be on the Wanderers from here).

6 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I only turned it on right at the end. I know it can be hard to tell but were brisbane playing that well or was victory just so bad that anyone could have beaten them

victory were literally trash, un-energetic, uncoordinated, looked like an under 12 side. for whatever reason.

Just now, jeffplz said:

victory were literally trash, un-energetic, uncoordinated, looked like an under 12 side. for whatever reason.

yes, they looked like us at a Perth away game or at our first home game against WSW. Belisha was so bad he was taken off. He did score though...

for Roar:)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

as far as I'm concerned, this Friday is more about kicking the shit outta Brisbane cause Aloisi is an arsehole (to say the least) than anything else. 1st place is only a happy coincidence.

I am way more invested in the ladder. This is crucial, finishing first means silverware or finishing second a better finals run. Aloisi is history, I'm looking at the looming end of the regular season.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

I am way more invested in the ladder. This is crucial, finishing first means silverware or finishing second a better finals run. Aloisi is history, I'm looking at the looming end of the regular season.

Try telling that to Aloisi back in round 6 when he ran his mouth over "anti football".  What a load of bull shit.  The guy couldn't coach for shit when at Heart, and blamed everything and everyone else but himself.

Given the shit he dished up (particularly round 6) and it's his first return to AAMI Park, I'm looking forward to seeing Aloisi smashed. It's great that it will temporarily put us top, but I don't see us finishing below 4th so that's at least home final with minimal travel there after (since other top 4 sides being from Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney).

The bigger concern come finals is our consistency. We have the ability to beat and score well against any team, we just don't always do it.

• Like 1

Melbourne City’s back-to-back clean sheets boosts confidence for the A-League finals push

March 12, 2016

Matt Windley

AFTER what he described as one of the most significant wins in the club’s history, young Melbourne City defender Ben Garuccio made a beeline for goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen.

City had just clinched a vital 1-0 win over ladder-leader Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium and Garuccio held two fingers up at Sorensen before yelling “two clean sheets” at his experienced teammate.

Just as important for confidence as snapping the Reds’ 14-game unbeaten run, Garuccio said, was that City had kept an opposition team scoreless for a second week running.

Before last week’s 3-0 win over Sydney FC City’s much-maligned defence had conceded 38 goals in 21 games at an average of 1.81 a match and only kept one clean sheet.

Now it has not let through a goal in 255 minutes.

With 55 goals scored, City is fast approaching the all-time record for goals scored in a regular season of 58, set by Brisbane in the 30-game campaign of 2010-11.

But for all its attacking quality, Garuccio and co know that without a solid defence the goals scored are likely to count for nought in the long run.

“That’s something we’ve struggled with this year and over the last couple of weeks it’s something we’ve really been working on,” Garuccio said on Saturday.

“To get two clean sheets in two big games — especially against Adelaide, a team that’s been scoring for fun lately — that’s just a big confidence boost for us and gives big confidence to Thomas as well.

“Throughout the year we’d maybe let in three but score four and get a bit lucky with some results. But once you come up against the big teams in finals we can’t expect to score three or four goals a game.

“If we can, that’s great, but sometimes you just have to be able to score one goal and have that be enough.”

City’s win, before Saturday night’s games anyway, moved it to second position, one point behind Adelaide.

And with three home games out of four to finish the season, City’s charge for a top two spot is suddenly positioned nicely.

Garuccio has been at the club since 2012 and said it was one of the most important wins he’s been a part of.

“That was a huge win, in terms of regular season games for sure,” he said.

“Given the time of the year, if Adelaide had won that they would have pulled away at the top and we would have fallen behind, so to win really puts us back in the mix.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-backtoback-clean-sheets-boosts-confidence-for-the-aleague-finals-push/news-story/287bde80f632d374597e9fdc99dd315a