Melbourne Football

A must win: City v Wanderers 9th January

n i k o

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

I don't think we can play a 3-5-2 without Franjic. 

No Williams I see. FFS either release him or play him. I guy sitting out for 2 weeks is very frustrating.

Would prefer him to sit out until it's all ready to go personally.

If he plays and does an ACL you're stuck paying for him until the end of the season. Also, from his perspective he probably ends up unemployed at the end of this season rather than getting payed in Newcastle if he gets hurt before the agreement. Think he's going to give 100% under those circumstances?

Players have insurance that provides for post contract cover. Yes I expect Willo to give 100% in his 100th and last game for the club.

In regards to injury risk, well we played him earlier in the season didn't we? Why is the risk higher now?

To quote those poet-musicians The Radiators, "Life's a Gamble", you want to win things you can't be ultra conservative.

47 minutes ago, neio said:

Melling also named which is good

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3.Aaron HUGHES, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 18.Paul RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36.Matt MILLAR, 39.Ali EYIGUN

**two to be omitted**

Sorensen

Hughes       Kisnorbo     Clisby

Retre                    Mooy     Paartalu                    Zullo

Koren

Novillo                        Fornaroli

Bouzanis, Garrucio, Melling, Trifiro, Espindola

OR

Sorensen

Retre               Hughes       Kisnorbo            Clisby

Mooy     Paartalu      

Koren

Novillo                     Fornaroli               Zullo

Melling in Mooy's place if he doesn't get up.

• Like 2

Does that insurance make up for the 2-3 year deal he could get from Newcastle (which would almost definitely be for a higher wage than if he was sitting on the sidelines for a few months then looking for a team)?

I highly doubt this transfer has been in the workings for that long otherwise it would have already happened by now, hell, the original Adelaide move only become solid a few days ago. There's a big difference between not playing someone who you have no interest in retaining long term when there's no offer for him in place and when there's something solid being processed.

Yeah, life's a gamble. And I'd rather take the gamble of us not being able to rely on him to help the team (lol) if it means minimizing the risk of a complication in getting him off the books ASAP.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Players have insurance that provides for post contract cover. Yes I expect Willo to give 100% in his 100th and last game for the club.

In regards to injury risk, well we played him earlier in the season didn't we? Why is the risk higher now?

To quote those poet-musicians The Radiators, "Life's a Gamble", you want to win things you can't be ultra conservative.

I'd argue that he hasn't done enough to earn a spot on the bench and doesn't fit into a 3-5-2 either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, haz said:

When it says that Franjic is an Out due to "Fitness Test"  does that mean he has failed a fitness test or that he's going to do a fitness test within the next couple days (like zullo last week) 

Will have fitness test Saturday is my guess. Knowing Heart/City/JvS there will be at least three changes before 7.30 p.m. Saturday...

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Novillo needs to play central, I have been saying this for a few weeks. He always looks dangerous front and centre.

442 diamond  will still give good cover defending the side lines.

He needs to be central because his cutting in from the wing is becoming quite predictable for opponents and they plan to counter it much like what happens with FBK

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, haz said:

When it says that Franjic is an Out due to "Fitness Test"  does that mean he has failed a fitness test or that he's going to do a fitness test within the next couple days (like zullo last week) 

I would assume it means he's failed a fitness test and is unable to take part in tthe game.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Novillo needs to play central, I have been saying this for a few weeks. He always looks dangerous front and centre.

442 diamond  will still give good cover defending the side lines.

I was thinking he could be a potential #10 if Mooy was out.

Obviously he'd bring his own unique style to it.

18 hours ago, bt50 said:

Sorensen

Hughes       Kisnorbo     Clisby

Retre                    Mooy     Paartalu                    Zullo

Koren

Novillo                        Fornaroli

OR

Sorensen

Retre               Hughes       Kisnorbo            Clisby

Mooy     Paartalu      

Koren

Novillo                     Fornaroli               Zullo

Melling in Mooy's place if he doesn't get up.

There's no margin for error in this game. We face a team that can keep a clean sheet and has only conceded 10 goals so far. We have a better goal scoring record but if they get their noses in front they'll shut up shop and make it extremely difficult - they'll pull out all sorts of shitty underhand tactics to stop Bruno et al. I would prefer the first formation and keep it very tight to start with allowing Harry and Bruno space to weave some magic with support from Mooy/Koren. Zullo zipping forward with some timely crosses will add another dimension. I can't see Retre being a speed force on the right and I don't want to see him having to chase back. Fingers crosses that Hughes is better for his run last week. Clisby has come on in leaps and bounds and he displays a lot of fight for the team. And hopefully no sliding fuckups from Pady. Looking forward to this.

I cannot contemplate a loss.  A draw is minimum result.

Edited by HEARTinator

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No point in having Espindola in the squad. WSW far too physical for the lad.

The same could be said for Koren (well starting anyway). WSW are not a side that you can have players go missing against.

I know a lot of people disagree but I'd start Willo and have Kuzi (if he's got his shit together) on The bench. 

Koren on the bench in case I need a miracle to win the game.

6 minutes ago, biancorosso7 said:

Strongly disagree with Zinni and Espindola. 

As much as people on here hate Koren, it's ludicrous to think that he is not better than Zinni or Espindola.

To this point in time, they have shown nothing when given game time. Harsh maybe, but it's the truth.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, neio said:

Koren starts no doubt about it

Is he worth marquee? No

Is he worth the money? No

But is he better than the alternatives of zinni,espindola,eyigun or trifiro? Without a doubt

He's not better than Williams.

In regards to Trifiro obviously Koren is a much better footballer, but Trifiro would at least continue playing when WSW have the ball & I expect that to be a lot.

Given Korens low energy levels I'd prefer him to come on when everyone is a bit tired and then he had a chance of blending in and of course playing that 1 or 2 lovely passes he does most games, but I fear if he starts their midfield will massacre ours.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

He's not better than Williams.

In regards to Trifiro obviously Koren is a much better footballer, but Trifiro would at least continue playing when WSW have the ball & I expect that to be a lot.

Given Korens low energy levels I'd prefer him to come on when everyone is a bit tired and then he had a chance of blending in and of course playing that 1 or 2 lovely passes he does most games, but I fear if he starts their midfield will massacre ours.

This thread makes me weep. How come we are debating the merits of our international marquee versus a couple of kids that put together have a combined game total of about 180 minutes? How come we are debating the merits of Willo vs Koren? or even Trifiro vs Koren? I weep...

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You think that up against WSW they are to be preferred on the field over Koren?

No way.

Koren sat at the top of midfield against Sydney for large portions of the match. He did not run back with defence and so there was a gaping hole for Sydney to play in and for us not to exploit in transition. The overwhelming (in my view) concept here is to have our midfield on song and running with WSW's. Koren is not going to do that based on last match. I do think that putting Novillo centrally allows you to have a younger winger run his guts out, up and back, rather than a lazy Koren. 

And, just because I'm petty, Koren, a man of EPL and international experience etc. etc., did not finish one on one with the Keeper. He scores that, it's 3-1 and Sydney are defeated. I'm not saying that I could score it, or any other squad member could, but the question is are either Zinni or Espindola "preferred on the field over Koren?" Well, the bar isn't that high.