Melbourne Football

What should this Friday's protest REALLY be about?

strider

27/11 -- What should the protest be about?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Power to the people. Do we protest our shitkicker of a coach? Or do we protest RE: WSW banned habibs?

• "JVS OUT" PROTEST
    • "WE ARE SENSITIVE TO YOUR NEWS STORIES" PROTEST

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

edit: pls insert reasoning below.

My reasoning for JVS OUT is:
1) JVS is shit
2) I'd rather jump start the squad a little with my angelically masculine vocal chords
3) Who cares about some banned plebs anyway? 

Edited by strider
credit to the one, the only, DET for this idea, i love u det forever my better half, little peanut <3
  • Like 1

I am not an Active supporter but i do care about the privacy issue, the proposed protest action will in my mind do absolutely NOTHING for either the privacy issue or the non appeal issue. my vote go's for JVS OUT every time. We need to see a tangible increase in on field performance and included in that better consistency, i am heartily fed up to the back teeth with our form considering the squad that we have especialy where proffessional players cannot run out a full 90 minute game. I know we have to take into account players coming back from injury etc but for crying out loud get them FIT to play a full game.

If WSW have fans that are banned and i am sure they do, then let WSW do the protesting.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 1

I think a better response would be to write to your local federal members, the senators of your state and the state houses. I am not sure whether the FFA is a fully private organisation but it certainly has received government funding. Which means that governments can exert pressure upon the FFA. Also AAMI park is owned by the state government and they can issue an edict to ignore the ban on individuals. Certainly in Victoria the charter of human rights would oblige all government institutions to abide by its intent and AAMI park would be an asset of a government institution.

Currently the FFA is making decisions without proper recourse to natural justice and in the employment area at least private organisations need to conduct themselves in a way to ensure that natural justice is observed. There have been a few court cases where the courts have upheld this principle.

TBH if the courts have deemed that you are guilty of an offence (courts may not necessarily record a conviction) then I don't think that you can revoke the FFA ban. But if you haven't been processed by a court then there should be a recourse where you can view the evidence being used against you and being able to challenge that evidence.

As for News Ltd and Sydney shock jocks - well there is little you can do legally. Although if you have the money, you can sue several organisations if you haven't been convicted by a court in that information should not have been made public. But you will need a good lawyer and loads of cash.

There's a saying, "today's news is tomorrow's fish n chip paper". The Wilson story will be forgotten in a week or so, but we will still be living in a world of pain unless our club improves and starts winning games. While I support the protest against the shoddy media the active support gets, I'm more concerned about the future of our club. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I agree, but not only that, our bed fellows are criminals who send death threats. Do we really want to stand shoulder to shoulder with them? You lie with dogs you get fleas.

Please reconsider for the sake of the club, for the sake of our supporters and for the sake of the game.

No doubt she anticipated the death threats. As everyone knows she has an agenda and therefore, does things that she knows will get certain reactions in which she has succeeded spectacularly.

Edited by Dylan

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

On a serious note. Obviously should be about JVS rather than about the article. The protest is the exact reaction the person who wrote the article wants. This is really shooting ourselves in the foot if it goes ahead about the Wilson article

The protest was never about the article specifically. It was always about the FFA. But the problem is with the information and response that's come out since the protest was announced (SCG leak, death threats etc) means the message of the Melburnians could very well be misconstrued for being about something other than that.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

The protest was never about the article specifically. It was always about the FFA. But the problem is with the information and response that's come out since the protest was announced (SCG leak, death threats etc) means the message of the Melburnians could very well be misconstrued for being about something other than that.  

So what has the FFA done?

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

So what has the FFA done?

On one hand FFA have used active support and their contribution to the game environment as a strong selling point for the game in their advertising and public statements.

On the there hand they have an apparently arbitrary bobbing policy with no review process and should do more to educate ground security and Police with regards to the constructive aspects of  fan culture. Active support works very well in Germany, there's no reason why to can't work as well here but FFA needs to take a proactive stance in achieving this outcome. Their silence over the concerning aspects around the Murdoch troll's article have been damaging.

11 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

On one hand FFA have used active support and their contribution to the game environment as a strong selling point for the game in their advertising and public statements.

On the there hand they have an apparently arbitrary bobbing policy with no review process and should do more to educate ground security and Police with regards to the constructive aspects of  fan culture. Active support works very well in Germany, there's no reason why to can't work as well here but FFA needs to take a proactive stance in achieving this outcome. Their silence over the concerning aspects around the Murdoch troll's article have been damaging.

You do realise that apart from bans relating to flares it actually takes a fair bit to get banned.

The other things is the FFA don't need to even have a valid reason to ban someone. It is exactly the same as getting banned from a pub or crown.

Now I do agree that the publishing of the names is disgraceful, however as Dylan has already said trying to fight FFA over it all is just playing into the hands of Rebecca Wilson.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I haven't agreed with everything that you've written on this issue Bela, but your first point above is well made. Indeed I would say that most or indeed possibly all promotional video I've seen for the A-League features extensive footage of "active supporters groups" - groups of fans, mostly young males, jigging up and down on the terraces with scarves, banners, etc. etc.

And, as we all know, in any group of people, football or not, there are going to be a small number of individuals on the fringes of that group, who from time to time might behave in a way that the bulk of the group does not. Therefore, FFA needs to have in place processes to deal with that small number without compromising the group as a whole.

And, extracted from a post I made in the other thread: " My view is that FFA is the ultimate controlling body over all images taken at an A-League match, and that therefore either by an error of omission or commission it has allowed certain images to find their way into the hands of someone who should not have had access to them. For FFA/Gallop to try and distance itself/himself from the current situation is quite wrong."

The very sad thing about all of this is that there are absolutely no winners out of it - the league, FFA, clubs, players, fans, and the game at large right across the country and not confined to the A-League.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

You do realise that apart from bans relating to flares it actually takes a fair bit to get banned.

The other things is the FFA don't need to even have a valid reason to ban someone. It is exactly the same as getting banned from a pub or crown.

Now I do agree that the publishing of the names is disgraceful, however as Dylan has already said trying to fight FFA over it all is just playing into the hands of Rebecca Wilson.

I don't have a problem with people getting banned. I do have a problem with the idea that ground security, often not the brightest, can plunge into a seething mass of Visitors or WSW fans and extract just the right person everytime, never having made a mistake. This is the reason why an appeals process is helpful, necessary even for FFA and fans to be working together in the overall interests of the game. The FFA very quickly becomes an authority figure to what are on the whole adolescents and young 20 somethings and the present arrangements evoke the same response as a father saying "do what I say, I don't have to give you an explanation, I'm not interested in what you have to say and I don't care of you didn't do it". This doesn't help us all work together. 

I think that the ultimate answer will involve active support self policing with the assistance of ground security and Police however this requires some level of education of all parties and ongoing goodwill. Trolls like Wilson and the other Murdoch lick spittles only expose the existing fractures in the relationships, they don't create them.

• Like 1