Melbourne Football

City vs Western Sydney, AAMI Park, Friday 13th November 2015 7:40pm

GreenSeater

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Well that's what I mean, either list everybody or don't list anyone at all. WHen you announce teams I'm not sure why you'd need to release injury updates to. You'd think they could release an injury update on Monday or Tuesday, and just list the team on the Thursday. Would take a lot of the clutter and confusion out of it. 

Your idea is the sort of thing that IMO is well worth you putting on "City Voice." 

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

For me I would omit Gameiro and Kuzmanovski. Gameiro was diabolical and I would prefer for him to begin his redemption at NYL level. Kuzmanovski is unfortunate but I would prefer a mid-fielder on the bench and that would mean Trifiro. If Trifiro does get a run I would be stoked if he can match Koren's output.

Whoa there. The lad was out for a whole year. Rusty yes, diabolical no way - so no redemption required.

He has to play this game, whether it's to start for a half or come on after half time. He needs to play because when you add him to Novillo and Tuna, defenders won't know where to go...

Agree with Trifiro. With no Mooy and Koren, it's a no brainer for him to get some game time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Bit of a worry that Franjic isn't even listed. Every time we get a team list I feel that we're given more questions than answers. 

I'd read it as a good thing, that he is no longer injured but that just wasn't considered for the squad. Of course who are we to know and why should the franchise tell us what is going on?

• Like 3

Melbourne City: Injury curse lifted as stars make way back

November 12 2015

Matt Windley

THERE is daylight at the end of Melbourne City’s injury tunnel, with Socceroo Ivan Franjic an outside chance to face former club Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium next week.

City coach John van’t Schip confirmed on Thursday morning that Corey Gameiro was fit to return from a minor ankle injury for Friday night’s clash with Western Sydney at AAMI Park, while excitement machine Harry Novillo is also in line to come in to the starting side for the first time this season.

International marquee Robert Koren (calf) is still “going to be out for a longer time, a few weeks” according to van’t Schip, but left back Michael Zullo (calf) is only a couple of weeks away and right back Franjic (quad) even closer.

“We’ve seen Corey Gameiro come back, unfortunately he got a little setback last week, but he’s back for selection,” van’t Schip said.

“Harry’s there, Aaron Hughes is there, Ivan Franjic is close, I hope he can be available in one to two weeks, Michael Zullo the same, maybe a bit further away.

“We’re talking about four or five players if they start playing and playing 90 minutes ... then that’s the competition that will make the team and the squad stronger.

“I think everybody’s looking forward to that, to getting numbers on the pitch, then it’s up to us to make the best decision and the best looking team.”

Van’t Schip said the club’s injury crisis — which still also claims Marc Marino (knee) and James Brown (knee) as victims — could may well be a blessing in disguise for the club in the long run.

“We are still in a growing process,” he said.

“Having those players getting fit, I think there’s still a lot of improvement to be done.

“Of course that’s something we’re looking forward to and in the meantime we’re also making steps with younger players who are getting experience and improving.

“We know that towards the end of a league, that’s where we have to grow. We’re making steps but we want that to happen as soon as possible of course.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-injury-curse-lifted-as-stars-make-way-back/news-story/ea4f8c58846deaeb5320cb6bda9af7bb

In response to a tweet about Franjic, the club tweeted:

I agree the club does itself no favours with its communication about injured players. It happened earlier this season, when a player is no longer injured (although not necessarily match fit) they take the player off the injury list and it creates confusion. It would be a lot better if they communicated something like "Ivan Franjic is available for selection", rather than just taking players off the injury list.

Anyway with Franjic now only needing to obtain match fitness, hopefully he can start making matchday squads next week. I still reckon Franjic can be one of our most important players this season.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Quickest green line on the forum:D

I'm going to have to sort you out one day Bela. Not only do you steal my line about Richmond Station, you claim the green line when I was clearly the first to say Franjic was "not selected." By about an hour. What is the world coming to!

P.S. I've had a glass too many tonight. Therefore you are forgiven.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Marino's status interests me. Still shown as 3 months, yet Archie Thompson with what prima facie seems a similar injury (medial ligament) is back training.

Believe Marino's was a much higher grade of injury than Thompson. Thompson has also been a professional athlete for many years compared to Marino's one and a bit, I'd imagine that even though he's older he's probably in better physical condition than Marino and therefore able to bounce back quicker.

I expect the only change will be Novillo for Mooy, with Mauk moving to midfield.

I am absolutely dumbfounded why Richardson was ever signed. If he can't get anywhere near the squad with Franjic and Hughes injured, why did we waste our time signing him? We could have used that spot on someone who could have competed for a first team place.

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

I expect the only change will be Novillo for Mooy, with Mauk moving to midfield.

I am absolutely dumbfounded why Richardson was ever signed. If he can't get anywhere near the squad with Franjic and Hughes injured, why did we waste our time signing him? We could have used that spot on someone who could have competed for a first team place.

Agree it's disappointing. He's on an unspecified short-term contract. I saw him in pre-season and liked the look of him as a player. He's a natural defender and I'm surprised he's not making the squad while we have make-shift full-backs and a leaking back line. Just another curious JvS decision methinks. Much like signing Trifiro as our utility midfielder and then not having him on the bench.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Believe Marino's was a much higher grade of injury than Thompson. Thompson has also been a professional athlete for many years compared to Marino's one and a bit, I'd imagine that even though he's older he's probably in better physical condition than Marino and therefore able to bounce back quicker.

Marino may well have had a more severe injury however the older you get the more delayed your injury recovery is as wound and injury healing in general is delayed.

Just wait until you're my age and dead and laying in a wooden box - nothing ever gets better!

5 hours ago, silva10 said:

he was only signed as an injury replacement. Clearly backup if we get lots of defender injuries

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:
7 hours ago, silva10 said:

he was only signed as an injury replacement. Clearly backup if we get lots of defender injuries

And I thought we did have plenty of defender injuries. Franjic, Zullo, Hughes, and now possibly Kisnorbo.

Who knows how this game will go?

Once again we should win so we'll probably lose

It's an opportunity to build our home support and the franchise has put in some effort to build numbers for the game so we'll probably lose.

Many of us are expecting a loss so we'll probably win.

The only near certainty is that we are unlikely to keep a clean sheet and that its very likely that we'll score and that the sausage stand will be busy.

i have no idea how this game will go, I'm a little worried as I'll be at Suncorp next game and if we win this one then the raised expectations and being in the spotlight in an important game against a Bambi coached Roar will be exactly the sort of game that we will lose.