Melbourne Football

Round 1 | Sydney FC V Melbourne City | Allianz Stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 10th of October 2015

Jimmy

How is that THIS club can never have anything remotely approaching a full squad to pick from.  Like EVER.

I wouldn't mind except no-one ever tells us fairly and squarely what is going on. Different published sources from inside the club give different accounts of where injured players are at, leaving supporters guessing.

Actually I think it's counter-productive in efforts to build the support base for the club, and it's a topic that I'd like the FRG to raise with club representatives.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind except no-one ever tells us fairly and squarely what is going on. Different published sources from inside the club give different accounts of where injured players are at, leaving supporters guessing.

Actually I think it's counter-productive in efforts to build the support base for the club, and it's a topic that I'd like the FRG to raise with club representatives.

It happens in AFL as well certain Cats players were listed as a week away for months on end this year... one didn't even get back on the field by the Season's end.

Doubt Melling will play. Saw him last night at the Northcote Food Truck Park, enjoying a cold frothy beverage. Garrucio was with him.

Sounds like a pre-game warm up to me!

We will not win this game without Mooy.

Also this. But i wouldn't even play mooy tbh, pretty sure he played the whole Jordan game, and if he was to come back and play in this game and get injured, i would burn bundoora to the ground. Not worth the risk 

Edited by kingofhearts

Do you have a Certificate III in Fitness and Certificate IV in Personal Training?

mooy can play 30 minutes in the second half 

but will he. Sure he could. But after a long flight even in first class he would be very risky.

if we can read anything this pre season one thing is very clear they have been very conservative bringing back players.

I cant see him playing any minutes. 

Melbourne City are keen to get Aaron Mooy back from Socceroos duty in time to play against Sydney FC tomorrow — but how keen? City officials have been trawling through commercial flights to find a business-class seat back from Jordan to Sydney landing as early as possible on Saturday.

But now there’s talk of making a private jet available, thanks to the Abu Dhabi wealth behind the club, in order to whisk Mooy back directly. All of which is making him a touch embarrassed about all the attention, let alone concerned about the effect of playing just hours after a long flight.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/a-league-confidential-referees-made-to-explain-tough-calls-to-touchline-reporters/story-e6frf4gl-1227562465402

Sydney FC v Melbourne City: Aaron Mooy in the mix as depleted City still fancy their chances

OCTOBER 9, 2015

MATT WINDLEY

JOHN van’t Schip insists it is not bluff or false bravado.

Injuries notwithstanding, the Melbourne City coach is confident his side can defeat last season’s grand finalists at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.

“We know that we have a very competitive group,” van’t Schip said yesterday.

“The competitiveness is only going to get bigger once we get everyone back, so we will only get stronger.

“But the players that are getting the opportunity now know that they have to take it because players are coming back, so the ones that are playing (against Sydney) really have to put in a great performance and a strong effort because there are others knocking on the door.

“I’m really confident with the team that we’re putting on the park.”

Intrigue surrounds the availability of Socceroo Aaron Mooy.

The midfielder played 90 minutes in Australia’s 2-0 loss to Jordan in Amman in the early hours of yesterday morning, but has been named in City’s extended squad for the match.

City’s 2014-15 player of the year was due to arrive in Sydney early this morning and will hold talks with van’t Schip and the club’s medical staff in the hours leading up to the game to discuss what, if any, part he plays against Sydney.

“We have to see,” van’t Schip said.

“We’re not going to take any risks because it’s a long season and Aaron is an important player.

“”It all depends on his physical condition.”

In the event Mooy does not play — or at least start — former Wanderer Jason Trifiro is likely to start alongside Robbie Koren in midfield, with Jacob Melling (knee) still unavailable for at least another week and Stefan Mauk away with the Olyroos.

Connor Chapman has battled calf soreness this week, but trained yesterday at the club’s Bundoora headquarters yesterday before flying to Sydney.

Van’t Schip insisted both Chapman and fringe Socceroo Michael Zullo, who missed the club’s FFA Cup quarter-final win over Heidelberg last week with a calf complaint of his own, would be fit to play.

Another former Western Sydney player, winger Steve Kuzmanovski, is also a chance to make his City debut, despite only arriving back from Young Socceroos duty midweek.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/sydney-fc-v-melbourne-city-aaron-mooy-in-the-mix-as-depleted-city-still-fancy-their-chances/story-fnk9bpxo-1227563762603

The good news is the club realises that we will not win this game without Mooy, and they realise it's important to get off to a good start, both for the season on the field but also to help memberships.

But I really don't know about risking Mooy, it should be okay but you never know. Assuming he even gets here on time.

It makes me think that the club is scared of taking to the field without Mooy. This type of mentality is dangerous on so many levels.

Half of this story is a media beat up. This sort of stuff has never happened in Aus before, so naturally all the journalists here are like 'oooo big city spending money again. Personally, I think this is a great thing and shows what the change in ownership has meant.

Seems like he has landed in Sydney too. Just posted on his instagram

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

Other squads will get injuries this season, and will have to cope with it. We've got a few now, although like others I suspect that we're being ultra-cautious with our players because of our history. But we've easily got the best squad we've ever had, virtually two players vying for every starting position, and some really good NPL/NYL players backing those up. CFG have not spared a cent on the back room functions - apart from not having our own home ground we are a proper football club now. We do have a tough start but IMO it's now or never - there are no excuses this season.

• Like 1

Are there any recommended pubs to watch away games?

Imperial Hotel oon the corner of Bourke and Spring street is where the supporters go. Follow Melburnians on Facebook and you'll be kept up to date on venues for all games home and away. 

If you're after an alternate venue or a private booking feel free to PM KD.

• Like 1

Imperial Hotel oon the corner of Bourke and Spring street is where the supporters go. Follow Melburnians on Facebook and you'll be kept up to date on venues for all games home and away. 

If you're after an alternate venue or a private booking feel free to PM KD.

I'm just looking for somewhere to watch with other supporters, alas not too many of my mates are interested in football, let alone the A-League. Is the Imperial a good place for someone to just waltz in off the street? 

JVS has now and again tried to give the opponents something to think about, and mislead them with his starting lineup. I reckon Mooy is a smokescreen and he probably won't start, and probably won't play.

My tip for the starting lineup:

Velaphi

Retre    Chapman        Kisnorbo        Zullo

Paartalu

Koren       Trifiro

Kuzmanovski     Fornaroli        Dekker

Bench

Sorensen

Richardson

Clisby

Espindola

Zinni

Zullo might start as a winger in place of Dekker, with Clisby at LB. Although I tip us to play with a real threatening attacking fullback in Zullo and Dekker to get the nod as LW.

Velaphi and Sorensen are 50/50 to start. If our defence was unsettled (say with Chapman out of the lineup) I'd tip Sorensen to start, but because our defence is more settled I'm tipping Velaphi to start.

Kuzmanovski will get his A-League debut IMO. Also this is where Trifiro should be able to do a job, when Mooy, Melling and Mauk are all unavailable. Trifiro should be able to produce some simple hard work and useful short passing in midfield. But we'll need Koren to provide more creativity in midfield with Mooy being absent IMO. And given his good pre-season I'm hopeful about Koren.

All up I just want to see a real competitive start, where the team looks organised and can produce some end-product in attack. Should be a cracking game, and thank god the long pre-season is finally over.

• Like 2

Def agree with you murf. Cant see Mooy getting on the park. Not worth the risk

Just save Mooy and Melling for the derby next round. They both should be very fit and ready to fire with another week under their belts, and we'll need them to play important roles next week (at least Mooy) rather than play bit roles today against Sydney.

• Like 1

Also don't think we'll see Mooy.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about our chances today, maybe just because I'm excited for the new season because there is really no logic too it.

We still have plenty of quality on the park even without Mooy, so maybe my earlier comments were too pessimistic, but away from home against a good team is tough. Add to that our other very important player, Koren, seems to only be able to link up with Mooy, Novillo, and Tuna, because he is mentally too far ahead the rest of the squad, and only Tuna of those guys is playing so I don't expect a lot out of Koren either.

But we'll see, if murfy is right and we start Kuzi and Dekker, you never know what a couple of talented young players who are hungry to prove themselves can do. Plus I am expecting a big game for Tuna, I feel like he has just been warming up so far and there is a lot more to see from him.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3